• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nerroth

Recruit
May 20, 2019
With Valve's Steam Deck set to be released in the US, Canada, the UK, and the EU in December 2021, I was wondering if there might be an opportunity between now and then to consider how, or even if, HBS' BATTLETECH might run on this new system.

Firstly, would the game be able to run on Steam Deck as it stands, or might a further update be needed in order to account for its hardware and software specifications?

Secondly, if it were compatible, or at least could be made to be so, how might details such as font sizes work on the Steam Deck's 720p screen? (Granted, this would be less of an issue when placing the device in a dock and playing the game on a TV or monitor.)

And thirdly, if one were to envision Valve enabling some sort of airplane mode for games running on Steam Deck (akin to the options available for offline play on, say, the Nintendo Switch), would it then be possible to set up an "offline" mode for this game, or is such a thing supported already?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good questions. As far as hardware capabilities, the Steam Deck should be capable of running Battletech. People have gotten this game to run on some low end hardware and the Steam Deck supposedly will run high end games.

Font sizes could be an issue. I haven't tried playing on a small screen.

The controls should be functional. Battletech works best with keyboard and mouse, but I have gotten a gamepad setup working. It wasn't as smooth, but it was functional.

No clue on offline mode. I haven't checked how Battletech handles being logged out recently.

Overall, it should work, but I wouldn't guarantee it. If it does require some sort of update to get the game to play nice with the Steam Deck OS, I don't expect it will happen. Development is officially done and they are only considering critical game breaking bugs.

No clue on offline mode. I haven't checked how Battletech handles being logged out recently.
iirc it's you sign into your pdx account in game, and as long as that is validated (as often as being offline with steam?) and remembered all your dlc content will work.

Biggest issue most likely is what variant of linux the OS is and what libraries come with it/the game. I've noticed some non-ubuntu linux OS that require some overriding of a few libraries included with their base OS to get the game to work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That thing is a pathetic little arcade size screen.

Playing BT or anything even remotely serious on it would be sacrilege.

sacrilege to some…

…A BattleTech FIX TO OTHERS!

: )

That thing is a pathetic little arcade size screen.

Playing BT or anything even remotely serious on it would be sacrilege.
NO.

Please take that elitist gatekeeping attitude elsewhere. If someone wants to play this game (or any other) on a Steam Deck, and is able, they can. Don't poo poo on someone else's possible fun just because they think it might be enjoyable to play on a portable system.

Timaeus

• 1Love
Reactions: