AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One of our miners has had a Strange Mood and created a $129,000 dwarf-buck statue of a troll murdering an elf.

• 4Love
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Btw, just to be clear, until I catch up then I'm not gonna read any new posts unless I'm specifically tagged/quoted. So make sure to tag/quote me when answering questions.
(It's to not end up getting spoiled on what's happened so far.)

1) My wall would need to be as high as the cavern, which would require building scaffolding. Dwarves will not build a wall (or floor, etc) unless there is a solid place to stand orthogonal (directly N S E or W, not diagonally) to the spot being constructed. My dwarves would be exposed to attack for much too long.
How tall are the caves? You make it sound like they're really tall.

So you can't build a second level on a wall without scaffolding? You can't use the existing wall as scaffold, with just a ramp in one end to get on top of it?

5) Horrible creatures live in the magma. I need to be completely sealed off from the magma, but with direct access to it for the forges.
So the forges are on a lavel above the magma?
Or how does that work? (Though, perhaps I'll get to see that when I get read up.)

Also, how deep is the world? Anything below the magma?

6) Even a twenty level fall only kills about a third of the hostiles. I've improved the lethality by plating the floor of the pit with Platinum plating. Hard and dense.
Why not make it even deeper, then?
Also, am I correct on a level being 5 m, then? Since you said 100 m deep. Meaning 1 level must be 5 metres to fit 20 levels.

Here is our Magma Forge.

View attachment 738436

Magma-safe doors and a Magma-safe drawbridge positioned to seal off access to the stairway up to the fort. Sand Bag stockpile at the extreme right. Magma Glass Smelters on the right, Magma Metal Smelters in the center, and Magma Forges on the left. All powered by the molten rock just below the floor of the room.
Seems I got my answer in the very next post I had got to. :p

Is the drawbridge that round thingie in the floor? (I'm not sure exactly how to read much of the graphics.)
What's that bag thingie walled up to the left?

So the forge is above the magma and have the magma pumped into it and hence avoids any nasty creatures?

Here is our Magma Forge.

View attachment 738436

Magma-safe doors and a Magma-safe drawbridge positioned to seal off access to the stairway up to the fort. Sand Bag stockpile at the extreme right. Magma Glass Smelters on the right, Magma Metal Smelters in the center, and Magma Forges on the left. All powered by the molten rock just below the floor of the room.
Also, why aren't you mining out those gems in the walls and the bricking up the holes?

Btw, just to be clear, until I catch up then I'm not gonna read any new posts unless I'm specifically tagged/quoted. So make sure to tag/quote me when answering questions.
(It's to not end up getting spoiled on what's happened so far.)

How tall are the caves? You make it sound like they're really tall.

So you can't build a second level on a wall without scaffolding? You can't use the existing wall as scaffold, with just a ramp in one end to get on top of it?

So the forges are on a lavel above the magma?
Or how does that work? (Though, perhaps I'll get to see that when I get read up.)

Also, how deep is the world? Anything below the magma?

Why not make it even deeper, then?
Also, am I correct on a level being 5 m, then? Since you said 100 m deep. Meaning 1 level must be 5 metres to fit 20 levels.
@Wagonlitz

1) The height of the caves varies, from game to game, from cave to cave, and from place to place. They are irregular, just like natural caves.

2) Doing it that way would mean that only one dwarf at a time could work on the wall. It would take years. The caverns are DANGEROUS. You want to expose your dwarves to the caverns for minutes (if at all), not for years.

3) I hollow out a room one level above the magma, so that only the thickness of the floor seperates us from the lava. I cut a hole in the floor and immediately build a forge BLOCKING the hole. That way, the forge is in direct contact with the magma, but no monsters can come up and burn us.

4) The magma forges are on level 27. Below that is the magma sea. Below that is an (almost) impervious layer, made of a non-diggable substance called Slade. Below that is Hell, populated by hundreds of demons (not kidding). There are usually a few ways into Hell... but that's for the end-game.

5) The deeper I make the dodge-em trap, the greater the chance of breaking through the ceiling of a cavern... and the longer it takes to finish. We needed to get our defenses ready before Invaders arrived.

6) My "100 meters deep" estimate was for flavor. Not sure how tall each level is.

I've had Legendary Fighter opponents survive a fifteen level drop, and then put up a nasty fight against the squad I sent into the bottom of the pit to finish them off.
How can you get down to the bottom? Have a door exiting into the floor?

The first Human Caravan arrived, and we bought all their Leather (to make Sand Bags and Military equipment) as well as some Cloth, Cheese and, of course, Booze.
Can you reuse sand bags?

4) The magma forges are on level 27. Below that is the magma sea. Below that is an (almost) impervious layer, made of a non-diggable substance called Slade. Below that is Hell, populated by hundreds of demons (not kidding). There are usually a few ways into Hell... but that's for the end-game.
Is it also way level 27, or do you need to dig an experimental shaft until you hit lava and then plug the hole to the lava to avoid beasts coming up?

Seems I got my answer in the very next post I had got to. :p

Is the drawbridge that round thingie in the floor? (I'm not sure exactly how to read much of the graphics.)
What's that bag thingie walled up to the left?

So the forge is above the magma and have the magma pumped into it and hence avoids any nasty creatures?
Also, why aren't you mining out those gems in the walls and the bricking up the holes?
Yes, that's a drawbridge. The ones that are equidimensional (2x2, 3x3, etc) typically look round.

in the left corner is a designated dumping spot, just to clear the loose rock off the floor so we could build the forges easily.

Gems? Don't need many. I only mine enough to satisfy dwarves who demand them for an artrifact they are constructing.

Money is the LEAST of our worries.

in the left corner is a designated dumping spot, just to clear the loose rock off the floor so we could build the forges easily.
Ah. How do you get into it, given it seems all walled off?

Ah. How do you get into it, given it seems all walled off?
Diagonally. Dwarves will move diagonally, they just won't CONSTRUCT things (walls, floors, fortifications, etc) unless an orthogonal tile exists.

How can you get down to the bottom? Have a door exiting into the floor?

Can you reuse sand bags?

Is it also way level 27, or do you need to dig an experimental shaft until you hit lava and then plug the hole to the lava to avoid beasts coming up?

Yes, I have a drawbridge sealing the room next to the bottom of the dodge-em-trap.

Yes.

You need to dig around to find it. The dimensions of everything (ground level, rock layers, cavern layers, magma sea, hell) all vary depending on where you are in the world. The crust tends to by thickest in the mountains, for instance.

@Wagonlitz

1) The height of the caves varies, from game to game, from cave to cave, and from place to place. They are irregular, just like natural caves.

2) Doing it that way would mean that only one dwarf at a time could work on the wall. It would take years. The caverns are DANGEROUS. You want to expose your dwarves to the caverns for minutes (if at all), not for years.

3) I hollow out a room one level above the magma, so that only the thickness of the floor seperates us from the lava. I cut a hole in the floor and immediately build a forge BLOCKING the hole. That way, the forge is in direct contact with the magma, but no monsters can come up and burn us.

5) The deeper I make the dodge-em trap, the greater the chance of breaking through the ceiling of a cavern... and the longer it takes to finish. We needed to get our defenses ready before Invaders arrived.

6) My "100 meters deep" estimate was for flavor. Not sure how tall each level is.
Has the king or queen came to your fort?

Has the king or queen came to your fort?
No. I didn't claim Mountainhome status yet. Too busy to prepare the royal chambers.

Should I get working on that?

No. I didn't claim Mountainhome status yet. Too busy to prepare the royal chambers.

Should I get working on that?
That should be up to you.

The Human Diplomat and his two bodyguards are inside our Dodge-Em trap, twenty feet up the wall, in a pool of dog pus.
How can they hand halfway up the wall?

That Goblin, Guiseppe LockedDonkey, has petitioned for citizenship. He is a veteran Spearman and his profession is "Monster Slayer", so we've agreed to take him in.
Isn't there a danger or him defecting during war with goblins?

Now we have to clear all the spoil out of it before we can pave it with something hard, like Iron plates.
I thoguht you wanted to use platinum.

He was only eight levels up. The shaft is 20 levels deep, and each level counts for more than the previous one.

In other news, we have finished roofing in both the Trade Depot and the Dodge-Em Trap, and are about half finished the second level of our outer walls.

View attachment 738607

The wall looks crennelated because I am working from several ramps at once, to speed up the process.

Still no invaders, but we've only completed two years. We've got a LOT accomplished in two years!
Why did you roof the drop em trap?
Also, why are the ramps doing a 90 degree turn at the third level?

Here's an example of what I was talking about:

View attachment 738662

The doors (made out of Magma-safe stone, like the drawbridge) are placed so that they cannot be seen or attacked when the drawbridge is raised. Naturally, the drawbridge raises southward, so that when it is up it will be presenting its invulnerable outward (bottom) face to the north. It has been counter-sunk into the stonework of the Keep, so the left and right edges of the drawbridge cannot be attacked when it is raised.
How can you see on a drawbridge that it's countersunk?
Why is it two levels wide?

View looking north-northeast, with the southern gate at middle right.
Why are there no traps for the southern gate?

So far our Fort has used up over 2000 blocks of masonry... and remember that the ground floor of the outer walls (and all levels of the Keep) was built with undressed stone! So those 2000 blocks only represent the upper works of the outer walls.
That sounds wrong. No way each of the walls is 250 tiles long, and that's th only way you'd get to 1000 blocks per level.

I'm adding a trapped maze to the inner gate of our Dodge-Em Trap.
How big is it?

Our cage-traps caught a couple of Grasshopper Men hopping up to our gate.
Are those traps before teh dodge em?

No, I just let them run around. That probably contributes to my drop in frame rate, but on the other hand it means lots of breeding and a good Butcher / Tanner / Leather industry, as well as lots of bones for Strange Moods.

I've been culling the herds with a fairly heavy hand lately... and it has nearly doubled my frame-rate.

In other news:

Our Metalcrafters are getting so good at making Trap Components that one of them just made a Big Spikey Ball worth over 15,000 dwarf-bucks!

View attachment 738832

Notice that it's NOT an Artifact... it's just very, very well made.
What is that 47 after teh FPS?

Diagonally. Dwarves will move diagonally, they just won't CONSTRUCT things (walls, floors, fortifications, etc) unless an orthogonal tile exists.
Ah, so they can squeeze through what appears to be no space between two blocks?

@Wagonlitz

- How can they hand halfway up the wall?

Rough stone walls are easy to climb (that's why I put an overhang on our fortress walls). Walls built out of blocks are harder. Walls that have been deliberately smoothed and polished are even harder.

- Isn't there a danger or him defecting during war with goblins?

I've never seen it happen, no.

- I thoguht you wanted to use platinum.

I talked about using Iron (there wasn't nearly enough platinum available to cover 70 tiles, back then). But I ended up waiting until I had enough platinum instead.

- Why did you roof the drop em trap?

Flying attackers. They would fly right over the traps, and if the drawbridge at the bottom of the Dodge-Em Trap was open they could fly down and invade our fort.

- Also, why are the ramps doing a 90 degree turn at the third level?

It leads up to our underground farm. Underground farms must either be made in soil (sand, in our case) or must have mud spread on the rock first.

- How can you see on a drawbridge that it's countersunk?

Little walls sticking out on both sides, to mask the edges when the drawbridge is in raised position.

- Why is it two levels wide?

Wide? Traffic. Only one dwarf can stand on each tile. Others have to lay down to let him go by. It slows the dwarves down.

Long? So I can TELL by glancing at it whether it's open or shut. A shut drawbridge occupies only one row, regardless of its dimensions. So two tiles long = open, one tile long = shut. I can tell with just a quick glance, instead of pausing and querying the game.

- Why are there no traps on the south gate?

There are. Those green things are Cage Traps. There are no DEADLY traps (red traps) at the southern gate, because it is for sorties, and I don't want my own wounded dwarves setting off a deadly trap by collapsing on it. I keep that gate shut most of the time.

- That sounds wrong. No way each of the walls is 250 tiles long, and that's th only way you'd get to 1000 blocks per level.

I have an in-game counter that tells me how many blocks have been used. You probably are only counting the wall itself. Floors, roofs, ramps etc all use blocks.

- How big is it?

Not large. Maybe 15 tiles. But it's PAVED with weapon traps that attack thirty times per tile.

- Are those traps before teh dodge em?

The ones in front of the south gate.

- What is that 47 after teh FPS?

The 100 is calculated FPS (but it only says 100 because the game is paused in that screen shot). The 47 is displayed FPS.

My current ACTUAL (unpaused) FPS is about 35.

- Ah, so they can squeeze through what appears to be no space between two blocks?

Yes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm really happy with it. We're nearly ready to face an invasion... as long as it doesn't include fliers!
How can you defend against fliers? Aside from a roof.

I think I like dissecting animals more, who would give a dissector such a blunt instrument? :eek:
Found any lions or giraffes yet? :p

edit: and a cat (ARG!)
Cats are really bad to lose?

The Trade Depot. All of the traps (green = cage trap, red = weapon trap) are inboard of the depot, because Merchant wagons won't cross a field of traps.
Why aren't there traps where the path turns?

A War Dog at the inner exit, to sniff out trap-avoid invisible opponents.
Any risk of the dogs moving?

The Maze was added after the Elf Diplomat left, in case he had memorized our trap defenses.
Why are there trap doors on both sides of each door?

Our Magma Forges. They will have to be rearranged somewhat, because the Magma Pump Stack is going to run right through this room.
Is that magma to the bottom of that screen shot? I.e. is a red 7 the symbol for magma?

It's because directly adjacent machines... and a pump is a machine, for game purposes... will pass power to each other without any need of external connections. And since each pump rests directly on the pump below (touching it, through that hole in the floor), we only need to connect the power feed to ONE of the pumps, and it will pass the power to all the rest.

Naturally, we still have to supply enough power to RUN all the pumps... but we don't have to distribute it to three hundred individual pumps. Just connect the power feed to ANY pump, and because they are all touching each other, they share out the power between themselves.

Any questions?
I have one.
Why not just have it be 3 tiles wide? As in, why can't the pumps be directly above each other, instead of diagonally?

How can you defend against fliers? Aside from a roof.

Why aren't there traps where the path turns?

Any risk of the dogs moving?

Why are there trap doors on both sides of each door?

Is that magma to the bottom of that screen shot? I.e. is a red 7 the symbol for magma?

I have one.
Why not just have it be 3 tiles wide? As in, why can't the pumps be directly above each other, instead of diagonally?
@Wagonlitz

1) You can't. A roof it is.

2) Nobody is forced to step on those tiles. They can move diagonally to get around the corner.

3) It's on a chain.

4) Those are walls. The game uses a different graphic for the END of a wall.

5) A red 7 is magma, yes. A blue 7 is water. The number (7) is the depth... 7 is totally full, 1 is knee-deep.

6) Not sure I understand the question. The pumps ARE directly above each other. Pumps are 1 tile wide and 2 tiles long. That, plus an empty tile to lift magma from and an empty tile to push magma to, makes 4 tiles in total.

What is Guiseppe LockedDonkey up to?

- Also, why are the ramps doing a 90 degree turn at the third level?

It leads up to our underground farm. Underground farms must either be made in soil (sand, in our case) or must have mud spread on the rock first.
I meant the ramps up to the walls.
There's no underground farms there, at least not on page 11 which is where I've got to so far.

- How can you see on a drawbridge that it's countersunk?

Little walls sticking out on both sides, to mask the edges when the drawbridge is in raised position.
How can you see that on the map?

Pumps are 1 tile wide and 2 tiles long
Ah. Didn't realise they were two tiles long, henc emy confusion.

4) Those are walls. The game uses a different graphic for the END of a wall.
I meant just in front and just behind of the doors in each end of the dodge em as well as at the end of the maze. Can't be walls or the dwarves wouldn't be able to use them either.