• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great crop of stories, I had fun alright!

#4 has pinged my Peterdar. It has been out of whack of late, so take it as you will. Astraeus is something to do with stars, and presumably he's then a falling star when he got tossed out the window. The Lady? Well she greets both Sun and Moon, and looks best at Dawn. Maybe Gaia?

#2 reads like our Oranges and Blues writer from a few rounds back. I do not, at present, remember who that was. But it'll come to me. A few sentences flow overly long, to me, but it does kinda fit the characters - I think people would talk this way, but it could be easier to read.

#1 reads the most... how can I say. Proper. Like what an actual author taking this seriously would do. Great if classic story. Tracy is a horrible name, but that's all I can critique. I think this could be coz1.

#3 No strong guesses. Quite deep, in its way, though I somewhat got... well, thrown out, by the strangeness of the wording. It fits the story, sure, because it is strange. Maybe GangsterSynod?

#5 makes me vaguely think Butterflycomposer. But not sure why. I find it a bit weird, but it's an obvious tribute to Frankenstein. Technically good, but kinda dumps all over the idea of adventure - and sure, Densley said to do so, but it... well. I miss something.

#6 pure guesswork, let's call it for Swuul. I think he'd like this kind of thing, and might do it as a vaguely Peter-sounding piece. The whole thing has a bit of a Hitchikers guide kind of feel too, and if Wyvern had been in the list of authors I might've pinged him... which seems an even more Swuulish thing to do.
As to the story: I think this one does kind of the same as #5, but makes it work with that final note - and with sheer brevity. It took some 4 lines from 'nope no adventure' to 'and here's why', which makes it work for me.

Author #1
The story is IMO technically well written. Easy to follow the story, though the plethora of "..." in the story somewhat disturbs me for some reason (probably because I myself use them so often when I write something, and over the years I have actively tried to learn away from that). The plot in itself is quite traditional "boy meets girl, but the boy doesn't know what to do", but without the obvious Hollywood twist to turn this into a lovestory. I think this story is written by an american, because I am pretty sure no european would describe a baseball swing as a "mammoth shot". If I do not remember wrong, I think coz1 is american.
My guess for author: coz1

Author #2
Interesting plot I think, but kinda heavy to read. I had to read it twice to get the point, but on second reading it was actually quite a bit clearer (probably because I then knew the twist of the plot, and had checked Wikipedia for "Paoli"). I think the author is an american person (to which non-american is the president of USA worth mentioning twice when the protagonist had met three kings also?) who is quite the Napoleon fan (you have to be quite the Napoleon fan to know who Pasquale Paoli was), and who likes to use dialogues to move the story. I think all those three fits HistoryDude.
My guess for author: HistoryDude

Author #3
Good read, though even after three readings I am still not quite sure what happened there. Kinda using a stream of consciousness technique, which has always been hard for me to follow. I have absolutely no clue who the author of this one could be, so I am going to roll the dice on the list of potential authors. <rolling a series of dice> Grats El Pip, you won the dice roll!
My guess for author: El Pip

Author #4
Kinda gloomy and depressed but well written story. A bit difficult to follow, but still for some reason a pleasing one to read, probably because of the twisted humour I seem to read between the lines. I can feel the protagonist, even though quite gloomy, still has an evil smile on her face for most of the day (though I don't understand why she didn't take the new job offered to her). For some reason I have the name "Mr. Capiatlist" flashing on my mind when I read this, so I am going to go with that.
My guess for author: Mr. Capiatlist

Author #5
Technically excellently written. Easy to follow, though I am not quite sure where the "declines to act" part is in this story; probably too deep dug in for me to understand. As for the author, "what on earth" and "utter foolishness" must be the two favourite phrases Peter ever uses (at least when talking with me, or when directing his writings to me). Also I am very obviously missing some point here, which also is also an arrow pointing at Peter. So, it is either him or Avernite cosplaying Peter. Then again, I am pretty sure #6 is Avernite, so I am pinning this on Peter.
My guess for author: Peter Ebbesen

Author #6
A nice read, easy to read. It starts sort of like a James Clavell novel where the protagonist clearly lands in a Lovecraftian void (instead of the shores of Nippon). The author thus is somebody interested in sea-faring and Lovecraft. A dutch person who is interested in R'lyeh perhaps? That would be Avernite for sure. But does this have anything to do with Avernite style (except the comma error in the third sentence)? Last round he said he needs a new hobby, so he obviously decided to make sure this has nothing avernitesque in it.
My guess for author: Avernite

Last edited:
Well, some interesting entries to be sure. Let's start with #3, which of the first three entries I read, I liked the most, despite some of the critique to come.

#3 was weird, in a good way, mostly. Some of the paragraphs didn't quite work though, just the odd word throwing off what I think the writer was trying to achieve. First paragraph is a case in point, 'wonder' should have been 'wondering', 'their' in 'their morning routine' should probably have been 'your morning routine' and finally the sentence fragment 'was sometimes just easy to end up in front of the mirror' is a little off and could do with re-wording.

Second paragraph the same sort of thing, a drifting back and forth between tense (e.g. 'have' should be 'had' in 'I had tried to remember to wipe off and yet have constantly found myself unable to do so'). These sort of things jar when I'm reading it, and require a re-read to understand the sentence properly.

But enough about grammar errors.

I was confused by a number of things as the story unfolded. Firstly was I a man or woman? At first I thought man, then we got the 'lost sister' who looks like me so I though oh, then it's a woman, but then there's mention of a wife so I find myself twisting back to the protagonist being male. All a bit confusing. But then the wife kissing the reflection could indicate a same sex relationship. After I'd re-read it, I settled on that being the case, and confirmed I feel towards the end, and if it's not then the piece is even weirder than I thought!

And finally, who uses the word faucet rather than tap? A bit of googling suggests Americans do. That pretty much rules out Avernite, Peter and Swuul for this piece in the guessing game! :)

I was confused by a number of things as the story unfolded. Firstly was I a man or woman?
Ah, life’s eternal questions…

• 1Like
Reactions:
Author #1, I echo Swuul's comment about the '...' I do it sometimes, and also probably too much, though if it's me you'll always see a space between the dots, as in . . . (I think it looks nicer.)

Author #1, I echo Swuul's comment about the '...' I do it sometimes, and also probably too much, though if it's me you'll always see a space between the dots, as in . . . (I think it looks nicer.)
If you do that in a GtA story I will critique you for it, FYI. I do not like extra spaced dots in anything but Morse code. ;)

If you do that in a GtA story I will critique you for it, FYI. I do not like extra spaced dots in anything but Morse code. ;)
I would guess it’s a style thing. My old diss supervisor always recommended that I use spaced dots in uni stuff. And I agree with Wyvern that it looks better. :p

I would guess it’s a style thing. My old diss supervisor always recommended that I use spaced dots in uni stuff. And I agree with Wyvern that it looks better. :p
pfff... as if dissertation supervisors know anything?

I mean . . . doesn't this abuse a ton of useless space, not to mention me having to use the spacebar instead of nothing? ;)

pfff... as if dissertation supervisors know anything?

I mean . . . doesn't this abuse a ton of useless space, not to mention me having to use the spacebar instead of nothing? ;)
It’s a decent point. When you have five degrees there’s probably scope for a lot of useless information to get stuck up in the brain :p

The distinction to make is probably that I was told to use them for condensing quotes, rather than just where I’d use an ellipsis stylistically. In that case I’d still go for the … glyph.

On to Author #4

My biggest issue with this is the short sentencing. Now I'm not averse to short sentencing, it's a style I love when done well and can be used to great effect, but at the start of this story (and in a few subsequent places) some of it is just a bit TOO short.

A prime example of short sentences used to great style effect would be Guy Gavriel Kay in a number of his novels - there are a few sections in 'A Song for Arbonne' and 'The last Light of the Sun' that I simply love because of this effect, but they're not as short as we see in this piece, and they usually build up to a 'poetic' (in Kay's case) crescendo. So I think the piece could have been improved by merging a few of the sentences whilst still keeping the overall short sentence style (And part of me thinks the author may well have been trying to imitate Kay, as he often does both the short sentence plus past tense that we see here - I'd love to know if that were the case in the reveal).

immanentize the eschaton.

I was intrigued. I had to look it up. It means to bring about the final heaven-like stage of history. Ok on I read but I don't find anything further linking back to this - or did I miss it?

The sentencing gets a little better, or perhaps I'm getting used to it.

Oh dear, did she just throw a managers laptop out the window and all he did was leave in a huff?

. . . and now she throws the manager out the window. This is another weird entry I see :p. Almost Peteresque I think to myself, and then I remember he reads Kay too. Hah and to cap it we find 'Last light of the sun.' in as it's own sentence. Well that seals this Author as a Kay lover, and so I think I am going to pin it squarely on Peter.

The more I read on, the more I liked. Overall a very well written piece though I'm struggling to find the 'declining to act on their curiosity' bit.

Initial impressions.

At least half of the writers wanted us to easily recognize their main characters, and ensured this by making sure we could google them by name, if we were in doubt.

#2: An inversed what-if featuring Giuseppe “Beppo” (diminutive) Buonaparte. Napoleone “Nabulio” (childhold nickname) Buonaparte. And finally their mentor, Pasquale Paoli.

#4: A day in the life of Eos, goddess of Dawn, and her (ex-)husband Astraeus, god of Dusk.

#5: Victor Frankenstein gets a dressing down; His colleagues pick up his work.

And half either used main characters entirely of their own creation, or I missed the references.

#1: Simple, yet poignant, classic missed connection story. Author is most likely American. Nobody else cares enough about baseball to write about it.

#3: While reading at first I thought the author was inspired by Greg Egan's classic short story "Learning to be me", but having read the whole entry, that is probably wrong. There are at least two tales told here, unless I am overthinking it.

#6: Welcome to the Bermuda triangle. For a sea area that has absolutely nothing mysterious going for it, authors, scoundrels, and confidence artists of all types have sure have been making a lot out of inventing “mysteries” - so the author of this one is in good company.

#1: […] Author is most likely American. Nobody else cares enough about baseball to write about it.
I think the Japanese might have something to say about that suggestion.

I think the Japanese might have something to say about that suggestion.
Probably: HAI.

The number of Japanese writing AARs for PDS games has historically been severely limited. And the entry reads like somebody who has English as their first language, and American at that, and finally it is well-written English. With all respect, whatever the Japanese might have to say about that suggestion, this does not read like something written by a Japanese writing English as a second language.

And, of course, given that I consider it to be well-written American English by an American writer, who probably likes baseball more than is healthy, and somebody who has chosen to write a serious, wholesome, all-American story about home, family, and participating in WW2 - the only thing missing is Apple Pie, really - the answer almost has to be coz1*.

As I learned from his website a few years back when I did research on authors for a GTA round, he is a proud US small-c conservative and a baseball fanatic (at least by European standards). Since I know he could easily write something as good as this entry, and since its themes would appeal to him, I find him the obvious choice for the writer of #1 despite it differing somewhat in tone from those of his AARs I have read.

* or a clone.

Last edited:
Wow! 6 entries. This might take a bit to look at them all. I haven't been around much lately, but always have time for this fun project. So let's dig into it -

#1: I have to agree that this is an American author. I might have picked @stnylan if he'd been listed as I know he knows baseball well, but that he's not it must be another that knows the game. It's quite detailed as far as that goes. That said, the missed opportunity seems slight. The prompt was "declining to act on curiosity" and the main character acts. He just doesn't succeed. I do like the change at the end, however. A sort of neat twist. I don't have so much issue as others with the use of ellipsis, but it is likely used too much. It can speak to a thought process that is distorted or disjointed, but it can also be used as a crutch. To not say the thing that could have been suggested. A fine story and well written. I'm going to guess @Macavity116

#2: This one reads more as a what if rather than missed opportunity. As well, the formatting is a bit odd (but that may just be a case of moving from one platform to another.) Some of the descriptions are a bit off but the rest is quite well done. There is an over-use of "did" a bit, but it doesn't take away from the story. I'm mostly struck by the odd transfer to New Jersey midway through. And frankly, the what if isn't all that different. Instead of Emperor you have a hero of four different countries, even though we don't get to know the particulars there. It's an interesting concept, nonetheless. I'll guess @HistoryDude

#3: This one is a really beautiful story, well told and brief. It's definitely a path not taken tale. Nice descriptives, but not too much (which I like.) I appreciate the look inward of the protagonist and what would seem an inner struggle. I also quite liked the beginning which could be my morning on any given day (especially the unwashed mirror...what a nice metaphor.) I will say that it gets a little confusing in the middle, but it appears we are moving into an almost dream state so that tracks. This is very well written. I'm going to guess @Mr. Capiatlist

#4: OK, this is an odd one. For one that uses such quick statements, it actually reads quite longer. And I'm not sure exactly what path was not taken unless so much of it was just in the mind. That is quite possible. Yet it ends with a seeming positive place. I applaud the author for going to some darker places (even if odd) because it certainly sets the mood. It's just a weird mood. Is she wishing she did these things? Tossing computers and the boss out the window? Go through the canteen in just a slimly dressed robe? Is the path not taken not being riskier? Possibly. I do like the urgency of the prose. It does make the action in the piece (real or imagined) hit firmly. I would have said, by use of the phrase "immanentize the eschaton" that this is a US conservative writer because I typically do not see that phrase used by others, however I am going to guess this is @Peter Ebbesen

#5: First of all, I would have liked this better if it did not name check the good (bad) doctor. It would (or could) have been cheekier. Also, what exactly was the path not taken or curiosity not followed? Frankenstein followed it and it sounds as if his accuser also follows even after castigating the Dr. for his supposed crimes. It is very well written and concerns one my all time favorite books, but it does not seem to follow the prompt unless I am missing something (which is quite possible.) All that said, I do like the return to fire at the end as the piece began. I'm guessing @Avernite

#6: No slight to the writing in the piece, but it is perhaps too simple for the prompt. Man goes to the Bermuda Triangle and decides not to stay and discover. Drowns trying to get back there. It fits the prompt, to be sure. But it reads as simple rather than textured. I do like the ending, but I'd like to know more about what was there to be discovered and wasn't. Again, the prose was well done. But also, be careful when writing these...don't use the prompt itself as in "Jack hadn't acted on his curiosity, and he would forever be haunted by the road he rejected." I mean, you can. But it's more artful (to me at least) to weave it in rather than be on the nose. I'm guessing @GangsterSynod for this one.

Overall, a really excellent round! I'd still stick with 4 as 6 makes it more cumbersome to critique all, but every writAAR really did a fine job and should be included. Was a good prompt @DensleyBlair and thanks for keeping this flame burning. This is one of the most fun projects ever invented for this little place we know and I love we can keep some who have perhaps ventured off to other things coming back to participate.

And I must answer to this:
And, of course, given that I consider it to be well-written American English by an American writer, who probably likes baseball more than is healthy, and somebody who has chosen to write a serious, wholesome, all-American story about home, family, and participating in WW2 - the only thing missing is Apple Pie, really - the answer almost has to be coz1*.

As I learned from his website a few years back when I did research on authors for a GTA round, he is a proud US small-c conservative and a baseball fanatic (at least by European standards. Since I know he could easily write something as good as his entry, and since its themes would appeal to him, I find him the obvious choice for the writer of #1 despite it differing somewhat in tone from those of his AARs I have read.

* or a clone.
You've not only read my AARs but also my blog? You must be one of the 2 and a half readers there. I can only say thanks even if I missed the comment you left. ;)

Looking forward to this reveal because honestly I am flummoxed. I am almost certain that my guesses are wrong, but I will commit to them. Even if they are all @Swuul . :p

#4: OK, this is an odd one. For one that uses such quick statements, it actually reads quite longer.
There is a reason for this, which is that #4 is a couple of hundred words longer than the others. The author asked whether my 1–1.5k guideline was a strict rule and I decided it wasn’t (it wasn’t) – but I might be less tolerant in future if everyone starts doing it.

Overall, a really excellent round! I'd still stick with 4 as 6 makes it more cumbersome to critique all, but every writAAR really did a fine job and should be included.
We actually had seven entries this time around, although one author withdrew their piece before publication.

Seeing as they’re reasonably short, I judged that it would probably be no more work to critique than four longer pieces – but I’m open to being more strict if people have a hard time getting to everything. My attitude generally is that if you want to submit, I’m not going to stop you.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
You've not only read my AARs but also my blog? You must be one of the 2 and a half readers there. I can only say thanks even if I missed the comment you left. ;)
I am sure I didn't leave a comment. Though I might have left a note in this GTA thread, come to think of it.

It was a few years back - five at the outmost, I'd guess - and I was trying to dig up information on you and other likely GTA suspects for either misdirection purposes or to find nationality and other information to help guess, or possibly both, searching this forum.

Then I noticed you had a link to a website. So I took a gander, and what I recited above is pretty much what I remember from that short operation: US, baseball fanatic, conservative/small-c variant. And I might be wrong on the Republican variant, because I don't remember if that was stated outright or just an overall impression. But you still have the link and I checked it while writing above and the baseball stuff is still there.

So I'll stick to my guess that you wrote #1 - and if I'm wrong, then I'm impressed that we have two Americans frequenting GTA who can write such a traditional story so well.