• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah yes, I should have expected complete nonsense like that. There is a difference between using modern English (which is of course necessary) and using excessively colloquial language. It's less medieval vs. modern and more formal vs informal. Language changes as a whole over time, but in some ways it's a lot more noticeable in the informal parts. It could just say something like "I will spend time in the library"
Well, until the creation of Norman-English, the Anglo-Saxons didn't even have the concept of rooms or a whole building dedicated to the storage of books. So the word Library wouldn't work.

Also the modern term is derived from old French, and never entered the English lexicon until said invasion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, until the creation of Norman-English, the Anglo-Saxons didn't even have the concept of rooms or a whole building dedicated to the storage of books. So the word Library wouldn't work.

Also the modern term is derived from old French, and never entered the English lexicon until said invasion.
But libraries existed before that happpend (like the Great Library of Alexandria). It's not about hisorical context, but universal usage of english today.

Reactions:
But libraries existed before that happpend (like the Great Library of Alexandria). It's not about hisorical context, but universal usage of english today.
As has been stated before, while it is an idiom, any English-speaker understands it. As a linguist who has studied multiple languages as well, it's far more self-explanatory than actual vague or strange idioms which tend to not contain any part of their meaning within the phrase. I'd call it nitpicking, but you just moved that goal post.

• 3Like
Reactions:
As has been stated before, while it is an idiom, any English-speaker understands it. As a linguist who has studied multiple languages as well, it's far more self-explanatory than actual vague or strange idioms which tend to not contain any part of their meaning within the phrase. I'd call it nitpicking, but you just moved that goal post.

Seems like ‘hit the books’ imitates the presumably older expression, ‘hit the hay,’ which was originally meant literally (jumping or dropping down on either piled hay or hay-stuffed mattresses).

But that’s another discussion. :p

ETA: never occurred to me before, but does this mean that originally there was a connotation that you would fall asleep when you ‘hit the books?’

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Welcome to the third summer teaser. This time around, I figured I would show you something quite different. As you may know already, minor titles will be returning alongside the upcoming expansion, Royal Court, allowing you to appoint a Court Jester, a Seneschal, and more! As you might expect, we’ll be adding a number of new events that make use of these appointed characters, but we are no strangers to also updating existing content if need be! We generally want features to be visible wherever it makes sense, and updating content can be a part of making old events have new and interesting options or additional variety and flavour.

Here are a few examples of events that we’ve updated (or added, as in the last example):

View attachment 741776
[Image of the updated Martial Lifestyle event The Walls of a County]

View attachment 741777
[Image of the updated Diplomacy Lifestyle event The Lure of Language]

View attachment 741778
[Image of a potential murder outcome]

You can expect more details in a future Dev Diary!
The cup bearer, if poisened, should get a hefty prestige boost and some gold as a loyalty award from his liege, unless the liege is a monster, but that might create resentment too.
If he dies, the family should get the money and a small prestige boost because of the loyal family member who drank that cup as he should in his position. :p

But I would love to be the Cup bearer, and be part of the plot... and "taste" the wine xD

• 1Love
Reactions:
After reading this subplot about whether or not hitting the books was accurate, all I could think was this.

"I should go to the library" - Boring, no fun at parties, cupbearer was probably lazy and didn't test your wine

"Hit the books" - Lively, some excitement. Probably poisoned the wine the cupbearer drank

"I guess it's time to study. My life is falling apart around me, pretty sure my wife has tried to have me killed, after rejecting me from our bed because of the lover's pox she gave me. My son is incompetent and I'm pretty sure my second in line is a horse. And I should be at my younger brother Duke Unwanted Child's feast right now, but instead my Assyrian subjects are getting uppity, and I'm stuck here learning their language as a gesture of peace." - Jaded, the weight of the world on your shoulders. Probably accomplished more in a year than you have your entire life. Probably wished the cupbearer hadn't tested for poison so he could finally be released from this mortal coil.

I speak only for myself, but personally, I petition for it to be changed to that last one.

• 8Haha
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Honestly, I'm just hoping for more to do personally on a small scale.

Yes, you can eventually take over your lord, run the country, go out and conquer the world, yadda, yadda, yadda... been there, done that... basically stopped because, meh. Conquering the world (well at least the British Isles and Europe) is fun for a while... but there's little interest in it.

I find the little personal stories that emerge to be far more enjoyable.

It's why I love the Romance of Three Kingdoms games with "officer mode" so much. Where you don't have to be the guy in charge. You can just be a schlub in the army. You're just a grunt officer, you work on the town you're in, sometimes get sent out to recruit, maybe get called into battle. But a lot of it is spent interacting with other officers. Making friends and rivals. Shopping for a great horse. Finding a spouse. Just enjoying being you. Not having to worry about a massive empire and giving everyone constant orders and trying to stop some jackhole in the corner from thinking that a guy with 1000 troops can someone rebel against an empire with tens of thousands sitting on his doorstep (seriously, fix your betrayal AI, it's dumb).

I want to see more focus on the little things. More little events, family matters, making friends, having little stories that truly personalize your game.

• 6Like
Reactions:
So in that language learning event. I couldn't help but notice it looks a bit weird when the tooltip says:
I learn to speak the Assyrian language
to then a bit later state
You learn the Aramaic language

It might cause a bit of confusion so I would suggest here to change that first bit to:
"I learn to speak the language of the Assyrians" as opposed to "I learn to speak the Assyrian language"
You learn to speak that Culture's Language(which maybe be different from the culture's name). For example I can safely assume that Bedouin,Levantine and Maghrebi will have Arabic as a language.

Hopefully the minor titles have way more interaction than in CK2. They were basically just opinion modifiers there. With all the court stuff, I hope the characters in your court will feel a lot more important than now. Mostly you just ignore most of you courtiers and vassals, and don't really do much with the more important ones either.

Reactions:
Hello everyone!

Welcome to the third summer teaser. This time around, I figured I would show you something quite different. As you may know already, minor titles will be returning alongside the upcoming expansion, Royal Court, allowing you to appoint a Court Jester, a Seneschal, and more! As you might expect, we’ll be adding a number of new events that make use of these appointed characters, but we are no strangers to also updating existing content if need be! We generally want features to be visible wherever it makes sense, and updating content can be a part of making old events have new and interesting options or additional variety and flavour.

Here are a few examples of events that we’ve updated (or added, as in the last example):

View attachment 741776
[Image of the updated Martial Lifestyle event The Walls of a County]

View attachment 741777
[Image of the updated Diplomacy Lifestyle event The Lure of Language]

View attachment 741778
[Image of a potential murder outcome]

You can expect more details in a future Dev Diary!
cant wait for royal court expansion, i know i am among many who think the base game is kinda....empty atm but only temporary!

Reactions:
You learn to speak that Culture's Language(which maybe be different from the culture's name). For example I can safely assume that Bedouin,Levantine and Maghrebi will have Arabic as a language.
Yes I am aware.

It is however exactly the fact that culture names aren't the same as language names that is the reason it is problematic if at first glance you cannot clearly see which of the two is the language and which is the culture, hence my suggestion to rephrase it ever so slightly to eliminate the chance of confusing the two.

Sure for bedouin levantine and maghrebi it is obvious that arabic is their language. But only because those are well known. I for one would not be able to quickly separate any of the indian or southwest african culture names from their respective language names. And even Aramaic and Assyrian are already sort of blurring the lines with which one is clearly the language and which the culture.

Reactions:
Just want to add to the 'hit the books' debate here. From what I gathered, the person that made this comment was objecting not to the understandability or to the Americanness of the phrase, but to its modern-ness. It would be like your character beaming with pride at the amazing 'selfie' they had just painted of themselves... except that the word is completely out of place in a medieval historical setting. You would expect them to call it a portrait, or a likeness. Likewise, a king wouldn't 'hit the books' in Medieval France, they would 'seclude themselves for study' or something.

Reactions:
Just want to add to the 'hit the books' debate here. From what I gathered, the person that made this comment was objecting not to the understandability or to the Americanness of the phrase, but to its modern-ness. It would be like your character beaming with pride at the amazing 'selfie' they had just painted of themselves... except that the word is completely out of place in a medieval historical setting. You would expect them to call it a portrait, or a likeness. Likewise, a king wouldn't 'hit the books' in Medieval France, they would 'seclude themselves for study' or something.
It’s funny you bring up selfies because isn’t there an event chain already in the game based off tinder where you look at self portraits of people and put them in left or right piles

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It’s funny you bring this up because isn’t there an event chain already in the game based off tinder where you look at self portraits of people and put them in left or right piles
Oh is that what that event is supposed to represent. I was wondering what a strange event that was but now it all makes sense.

• 3Haha
Reactions: