• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(350868)

Captain
19 Badges
Jul 21, 2011
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Sword of the Stars
Hello

I am a bit confused how Gateways work, so I thought I would just get some clarification.

For some context... I have just come across the Prethoryn Scourge. I think I did a x 5 strength, as all of the previous crisis were pretty rubbish... Now I have at least 5 or 6 300k fleets running amok, with the AI putting up a laughable effort with broken fleets, and literally nothing coming close to even making a dent. Fortunately I have 8 fleets at 60k+ ready to go, so I have a reasonable chance if I can engage them one at a time on my terms.

(Un?)fortunately, they have invaded some distance from my own empire, with no L Gates or Wormholes.

I have networked my own fleet yards with Gateways, with my homeworld with a fully operational Megayard.

Pre.JPG

There is an empty batch of planets on the far side of a Fallen Empire, about 5 jumps from the Prethoryn's territory.

My first thought was to grab the adjacent system (A) and Fortify it with a Gateway behind the Starbase, with which I can reinforce from all of my 8 major fleet yards. But if this system were to fall, can the Prethoryn use my Gateway to slip into my systems?

Would it be better to build the gateway around system (B) ?

Or if you have any other though, I would greatly appreciate it...

Cheers!

Yes and no
If you build a gate it's permanent and can't be disabled so it does transfer to whom ever owns the system i.e, yes they can use it once the system is captured however the other end of the gateway comes out in your territory so they can't jump into your capital even if you lose the first gate

• 3Like
Reactions:
Build gates in your own systems with shipyards and trade first. If you can make a gateway out there, it won't hurt, crisis cannot use gate in your system to enter, but in 3.0.3 you can use gate in their system to enter, so it is always an advantage.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And don't "fortify" against crisis x5, it is more of an anti-terrorist operation than a regular war. Well, pretty much as all PvE in Stellaris. :D

This is why I always build a couple of Fortress Habitats in Terminal Egress, as well as building a Gateway there. It becomes a central nexus, so it should be heavily fortified.
I do that too, but unfortunately the gateways aren't classified as hyperlanes so the fleets can still leave to whatever L-Gatw they want. At least that's how it worked last time I saw.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses.

Also be wary of L-Gates, they work similarly to wormholes except anyone in Terminal Egress can go to any other L-Gate

Yes... I have built a 60k defensive citadel there. When I declared war to finish off some religious fanatic who had constatly attacked me during the start of the game, I did not realise he had allies. Regardless i had blocked the only routes into my territory, so no worries. I can just purely focus on the task at hand and ignore everything else... right???

When I finally realised what was going on, with my war weariness tanking, I had to redivert all of my fleets to retake large swathes of territories. Good job I did not just take a Status Quo peace before I noticed (Sorry Sir, did you not read the small print. We own everything now... now, fetch me a beer while i sign the order to sell your species on the slave market...)

This is why I always build a couple of Fortress Habitats in Terminal Egress, as well as building a Gateway there. It becomes a central nexus, so it should be heavily fortified.

Sorry. How does that work? Where should i place them habitats, and what should I build on them in terms of zones and buildings? I am not massively familiar with habitats.

I thought one solution is to have an L Gate "Nexus", instead of a single gate that can go to several systems (sort of like the Slow zone in the Expanse). Personally I think the L Cluster needs a bit of work, as there is like a 40% chance of it being totally empty (although in my 6 games for far, only one has not been L Drakes or Gray)

In fact my current game I got nothing at all from it. I reloaded it to check, and it seems the "Gray" oucome came up. I dont remember that from the first time around. Maybe I told her we did not need her. Or perhaps she disappears from the contacts menu. Could another faction have grabbed her, as I was hellbent on surveying the cluster before going back to scan the anomalies?

Sorry. How does that work? Where should i place them habitats, and what should I build on them in terms of zones and buildings? I am not massively familiar with habitats.

Habitats are functionally identical to planets with respect to mechanics. After you build one, you colonize it like any other planet. Build one or two of those in Terminal Egress, fill them up with Fortress buildings, and voila, ready to go Fortress Habitats.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Cool... Sorry, I understand how to produce them. Could you explain to me what do they do in gameplay terms?

Can they be used to stop other factions bobbing through the L Gate?

It does not seem that owning Terminal Egress is a tactical advantage if the only way to protect the l Gate is to station a fleet next to it Do the Habitats change this dynamic?

Cool... Sorry, I understand how to produce them. Could you explain to me what do they do in gameplay terms?

Can they be used to stop other factions bobbing through the L Gate?

It does not seem that owning Terminal Egress is a tactical advantage if the only way to protect the l Gate is to station a fleet next to it Do the Habitats change this dynamic?
The forttress buildings provide FTL inhibitors identical to starbases. That means the fleet can only leave through the same lane as they arrived until the habitat is either conquered (difficult since the fortress also provides defensive armies) or bombed for long enough to get to 50% devastation (this disables the inhibitor, but if you build a shield generator it will take some time).

I am pretty sure that won't work with L-Gates though as they don't count as hyperlanes so a fleet can just leave through the gate to any system with an L-Gate.

Reactions:
Your enemies cannot use a Gateway against you. Wormholes are always two-way though.

I've always kind of wished they could... It would give things a very "barbarians at the gates of Rome" feeling. I build these glorious gateways throughout my territory, then an upstart invader uses them to attack my homeworld.

Plus, it might raise the strategic stakes. It's not just that I want to hold the Aleb system for its own sake, but if they conquer that star then they will have a direct route to my homeworld or my crucial shipyard. It might make the strategic map far more changeable than it is right now.

I thought it was cool you can use jump drives from the edge of the L Cluster back into the main part of the galaxy. Dont think I have ever seen an AI use jump drives to bypass strongpoints. Perhaps because the lategame AI is so far behind.

the main point of a habitat is that you can place it where you need it [most the time] and thats good because you have more control over where your sector capital sits i.e, X jumps in every direction from this habitat

yes they do block fleets somewhat but it doesn't stop a fleet passing through the L gates to reach some other juicily target unless you also park a few ships close enough to draw them into combat with your defenses. So habitat + station + fleet is a good blocker... just a habitat normally does bugger all

Sectors actually do not matter much beyond the core and maybe couple specialized sectors like relic world and megashipyard sector, but those function perfectly well as one system sectors. Governors are dirt cheap in upkeep and having more of them provides reserves agains elections/deaths/bad traits.

relic world and megashipyard sector
what is a "megashipyard sector"?

also, for fortress habitats in terminal egress the advantage is they cannot capture the system without landing troops, even if they knock out the fortress. this gives you time to bring reinforcements. also, if their fleet leaves without taking the habitats, the fortress eventually switches back to your control because of the habitats. and finally it gives you an achievement for building a habitat with a view of a black hole ;)