• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Schwarzhertz has clarified that history alteration is outside of the scope for this mod. It's too wide and requires too many additions to vanilla to fix. And then there's the debate around interpretation which is to say, what says that your interpretation of a source is historically accurate? It's all subjective really.
I wanted to double-check if the scope had changed, since it has been a while since it was mentioned as being outside the scope and the scope thus could have changed.

As for the interpretation bit, I'm aware that's something to consider, and I don't claim my interpretation of everything is guaranteed to be correct, but given that vanilla has knowingly deviated from history in a few places, has a few notes along the line of "Wikipedia says..." (indicating that's the source they've used in at least some cases), has used at least a few historical people as placeholders where they definitely weren't ruling without commenting on having done so, appears to have missed some people entirely, and has done other things that are... interesting I'm going to say that at least a few of the things I've noticed are wrong in vanilla (and if they're intentional design choices then vanilla has done a poor job of actually mentioning that that is the case).

Reactions:
I wanted to double-check if the scope had changed, since it has been a while since it was mentioned as being outside the scope and the scope thus could have changed.

As for the interpretation bit, I'm aware that's something to consider, and I don't claim my interpretation of everything is guaranteed to be correct, but given that vanilla has knowingly deviated from history in a few places, has a few notes along the line of "Wikipedia says..." (indicating that's the source they've used in at least some cases), has used at least a few historical people as placeholders where they definitely weren't ruling without commenting on having done so, appears to have missed some people entirely, and has done other things that are... interesting I'm going to say that at least a few of the things I've noticed are wrong in vanilla (and if they're intentional design choices then vanilla has done a poor job of actually mentioning that that is the case).
Yes, I've noticed that as well. The amount of choices based on those random genealogy sites created by hobby historians without sources is staggering. Also, there's a lot based on dusty old historians arguing based on onomastics alone (Wegener is a good example of this), it's just speculative garbage that at best tells a good story in CK2 and at worst screws up the inheritance when the main branch dies off.

Why is the mod in beta? Are there still more bugfixes, more cleaning to do?

Also thanks for the mod! The german kingdoms bug was the only thing stopping me from a Charlie playthrough so now I can get started on that.

Why is the mod in beta? Are there still more bugfixes, more cleaning to do?

Also thanks for the mod! The german kingdoms bug was the only thing stopping me from a Charlie playthrough so now I can get started on that.

Mostly because we haven't had much time for playtesting yet, even if we don't have any reason to think there are many issues. Most things that were significantly re-engineered have been tested fairly thoroughly. Once CK2+ has been fully fixed up, playtesting will begin in earnest, and since CK2+ has already been rebased on CleanSlate, that will also benefit CleanSlate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Been trying to use CleanSlate with a few other mods, I know it's not recommended but the only glitch I'm having so far is the religion icon for pagans being glitched out, like showing incorrect ones or being slightly to the right/left. Any idea which file in CleanSlate is causing this?
Only other religion mod I'm using is Ancient Religions Reborn.

That would be the religion icon strips, found in gfx\interface. You could try copying Ancient Religion Reborn's icon strip over CleanSlate's, and/or setting up Ancient Religions Reborn to depend on CleanSlate, but either way, you'll likely encounter bugs if you use a major mod not set up to work with CleanSlate, alongside CleanSlate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That would be the religion icon strips, found in gfx\interface. You could try copying Ancient Religion Reborn's icon strip over CleanSlate's, and/or setting up Ancient Religions Reborn to depend on CleanSlate, but either way, you'll likely encounter bugs if you use a major mod not set up to work with CleanSlate, alongside CleanSlate.
Just for anyone else interested in this, I tried the first method and didn't seem to fix the offset on the icons. The second method would just crash the game once it got to main menu. Maybe I did something wrong and someone gets it to work but no big deal, hopefully more mods will start adopting CleanSlate as base, I've noticed max speed is faster with it compared to vanilla.

Last edited:
Just for anyone else interested in this, I tried the first method and didn't seem to fix the offset on the icons. The second method would just crash the game once it got to main menu. Maybe I did something wrong and someone gets it to work but no big deal, hopefully more mods will start adopting CleanSlate as base, I've noticed max speed is faster with it compared to vanilla.
Try deleting interface\generalstuff.gfx from CleanSlate.

1.0 Beta 2 Release
mod_cleanslate_cleanslate.jpg

Version 1.0 Beta 2 Released!
[steam workshop download]

Checksum [VHQK]

Noteworthy Changes:
-Several Tweaks and further cleanup (more detailed Changelog to come)​

Attachments

• CleanSlate.zip
    19,7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
1.0 Beta 2.5 Release
cleanslate.jpg

Version 1.0 Beta 2.5 Released!

Checksum [KRYN]

Noteworthy Changes:
- Fixed title history from map reorganization
- Fixed unplayable Bohemia in 867 start
- Formatted more character history
- Peasant leaders are no longer military geniuses
- Fixed a few minor and embarassing oversights
- Improved Pillage tooltips
- Fixed settling nomads getting a namelsss title
- Fixed pagan reformation flags​

Attachments

• CleanSlate.zip
  • 3Like
Reactions:
View attachment 735735
Version 1.0 Beta 2.5 Released!

Checksum [KRYN]

Noteworthy Changes:
- Fixed title history from map reorganization
- Fixed unplayable Bohemia in 867 start
- Formatted more character history
- Peasant leaders are no longer military geniuses
- Fixed a few minor and embarassing oversights
- Improved Pillage tooltips
- Fixed settling nomads getting a namelsss title
- Fixed pagan reformation flags​
You guys are awesome using your changes makes modding so much easier.

This mod uses county tech values, doesn't it need to be duchies? Error log is looking for all the duchies tech values. (When running this with ck2+)

also, old tech values:

[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 505" in file: "history/technology/india.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 506" in file: "history/technology/india.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 209" in file: "history/technology/the_steppes.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 290" in file: "history/technology/the_steppes.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 102" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 110" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 118" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 126" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 284" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 285" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 296" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 308" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 320" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 392" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 404" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 416" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 535" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 715" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 716" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 802" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 803" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 886" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"

This mod uses county tech values, doesn't it need to be duchies? Error log is looking for all the duchies tech values. (When running this with ck2+)

also, old tech values:

[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 505" in file: "history/technology/india.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 506" in file: "history/technology/india.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 209" in file: "history/technology/the_steppes.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 290" in file: "history/technology/the_steppes.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 102" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 110" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 118" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_SKIRMISH, near line: 126" in file: "history/technology/ural.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 284" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 285" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 296" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 308" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 320" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 392" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 404" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 416" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 535" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 715" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 716" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 802" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_MELEE, near line: 803" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"
[persistent.cpp:40]: Error: "Unexpected token: TECH_INFANTRY, near line: 886" in file: "history/technology/western_europe.txt"

County based technology history works, despite what the error.log suggests. We chose to use it since counties never change, but duchies can de jure change throughout history. The old tech values is CK2+-specific and will be taken care of later.

Reactions:
1.0 Beta 2.7
cleanslate.jpg

Version 1.0 Beta 2.7 Released!

Checksum [YKRN]

Noteworthy Changes:
- Rulers no longer depend on random characters to start a Reconquista war
- The third target duchy of Reconquista wars is now properly processed for both attacker and defender
- Fix localization issue in prosperity notification event
- Fix pregnancy notification events for husbands not firing
- Fixed some localization issues in SoA demon child event chain
- Fix feudal elective mimicking heir designation in count tier titles​

Attachments

• CleanSlate.zip
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So, at the 1066 Start, all holdings start with a whole set of duplicates of the first level buildings, is this intended? if not, any ideas how can i fix it?

I do get duplicate buildings as well and that a month and several versions later.
Is that just an unfixed bug, am i missing somehting or what's going on ?

CLdoublebuildings.jpg

Last edited:
I do get duplicate buildings as well and that a month and several versions later.
Is that just an unfixed bug, am i missing somehting or what's going on ?

View attachment 739076
It's an unpleasant outcome when CleanSlate overriding "common/buildings".
Due to some misery coding Paradox devs did, this folder did not be overrided even if "replace_path" is used in .mod file.
So there'll be two sources for a building tag, one from vanilla and one from CleanSlate. And it create two entities, that's what you see.

If you look into setup.log, there's some useful information:
Code:
L4449: [building.cpp:776]: Building #12 tag = ca_keep_1 name = Keep
L4450: [casusbellitype.cpp:763]: CB Type #105 tag = overthrow_ruler
L4451: [building.cpp:776]: Building #13 tag = ca_keep_2 name = Keep
L4452: [casusbellitype.cpp:763]: CB Type #106 tag = overthrow_ruler_no_calls
L4453: [building.cpp:776]: Building #14 tag = ca_keep_3 name = Keep
L4454: [casusbellitype.cpp:763]: CB Type #107 tag = weaken_vassal_plot
L4455: [building.cpp:776]: Building #15 tag = ca_keep_4 name = Keep
L4456: [building.cpp:776]: Building #16 tag = ca_keep_5 name = Keep
L4457: [building.cpp:776]: Building #17 tag = ca_keep_6 name = Keep
You see CK2 enumerates ca_keep_* here, but
Code:
L4639: [building.cpp:776]: Building #198 tag = ca_keep_1 name = Keep
L4640: [building.cpp:776]: Building #199 tag = ca_keep_2 name = Keep
L4641: [building.cpp:776]: Building #200 tag = ca_keep_3 name = Keep
L4642: [building.cpp:776]: Building #201 tag = ca_keep_4 name = Keep
L4643: [building.cpp:776]: Building #202 tag = ca_keep_5 name = Keep
L4644: [building.cpp:776]: Building #203 tag = ca_keep_6 name = Keep
here CK2 does it again, pfff....

EDIT2: Old school dummy file replacement trick could help solving this bug, just some case sensitive need addressed if linux supported.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's an unpleasant outcome when CleanSlate overriding "common/buildings".
Due to some misery coding Paradox devs did, this folder did not be overrided even if "replace_path" is used in .mod file.
So there'll be two sources for a building tag, one from vanilla and one from CleanSlate. And it create two entities, that's what you see.

If you look into setup.log, there's some useful information:
Code:
L4449: [building.cpp:776]: Building #12 tag = ca_keep_1 name = Keep
L4450: [casusbellitype.cpp:763]: CB Type #105 tag = overthrow_ruler
L4451: [building.cpp:776]: Building #13 tag = ca_keep_2 name = Keep
L4452: [casusbellitype.cpp:763]: CB Type #106 tag = overthrow_ruler_no_calls
L4453: [building.cpp:776]: Building #14 tag = ca_keep_3 name = Keep
L4454: [casusbellitype.cpp:763]: CB Type #107 tag = weaken_vassal_plot
L4455: [building.cpp:776]: Building #15 tag = ca_keep_4 name = Keep
L4456: [building.cpp:776]: Building #16 tag = ca_keep_5 name = Keep
L4457: [building.cpp:776]: Building #17 tag = ca_keep_6 name = Keep
You see CK2 enumerates ca_keep_* here, but
Code:
L4639: [building.cpp:776]: Building #198 tag = ca_keep_1 name = Keep
L4640: [building.cpp:776]: Building #199 tag = ca_keep_2 name = Keep
L4641: [building.cpp:776]: Building #200 tag = ca_keep_3 name = Keep
L4642: [building.cpp:776]: Building #201 tag = ca_keep_4 name = Keep
L4643: [building.cpp:776]: Building #202 tag = ca_keep_5 name = Keep
L4644: [building.cpp:776]: Building #203 tag = ca_keep_6 name = Keep
here CK2 does it again, pfff....

EDIT2: Old school dummy file replacement trick could help solving this bug, just some case sensitive need addressed if linux supported.
Fixed in Dev

Reactions: