AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have doubled the size of the militia, to two squads each of 10 Marksdwarves, one squad of ten Speardwarves and one squad of 10 Hammerdwarves.

Forty soldiers in total.

I am making armor, weapons and equipment to increase that to 60... and then perhaps to 80.

I'm wondering if I should start mining Adamantite before putting our Axedwarf and Sworddwarf squads together... but I would much prefer to get a Legendary Weaponsmith and a Legendary Armorsmith before I start using up the "Candy". We have a very strictly limited amount of it... nowhere near enough to equip all of our troops.
Can you buy adamantite? Any little bit can help, right? :)

Can you buy adamantite? Any little bit can help, right? :)
I wish. But no.

You are now leading that squad of Hammerdwarves, by the way.

I wish. But no.

You are now leading that squad of Hammerdwarves, by the way.
uhoh...

I think I like dissecting animals more, who would give a dissector such a blunt instrument? :eek:

The Dwarven caravan (for year 3) is here! This might be the last one we get before the invaders show up.

so I was doing ok...untill something called Night's Demon....created by a necormancer sieged me...they are only 5 of them with crossbows but they just walked by my traps....both dodge them/hit them and cage traps....that was painfull to see...I lost 25 dwarves.

edit: and a cat (ARG!)

A couple of screen-shots of the recent modifications to our defenses:

The Trade Depot. All of the traps (green = cage trap, red = weapon trap) are inboard of the depot, because Merchant wagons won't cross a field of traps.

A War Dog at the inner exit, to sniff out trap-avoid invisible opponents.

AD_124.jpg

The Dodge-Em Trap with its new trapped Maze:

AD_125.jpg

The Maze was added after the Elf Diplomat left, in case he had memorized our trap defenses.

Another War Dog or two, to sniff people as they go by.

The components for the first dozen or so Magma-Safe Pumps mave been manufactured. There's no point in beginning construction of the Pump Stack until we have hundreds of components ready, though. Another long-term project.

EDIT:

Actually...

I've just found a spot INSIDE OUR WALLED COMPOUND where I can run a double-width pump-stack all the way down to the bottom of the map without intersecting a cavern. So I'll start digging out the chambers for the pump stack, and building the above-ground infrastructure. I won't bother assembling the pumps until we have considerably more components prepared.

AD_126.jpg

One cool point about the location I've found is that it is immediately adjacent to the pig sty... so if we have any ***little Magma accidents*** the first thing that will happen is roast ham!

*** (there is no such thing as a "little" Magma accident)***

I'll post a note explaining how a Magma Pump Stack works, later.

Last edited:
One of our Masons has entered a Strange Mood. NOT a Possession, this time. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: He has created a Quartzite Coffin worth over 15,000 dwarf-bucks. Hopefully not an omen of things to come.

Last edited:
Here are a few screenshots of important places.

Our Meeting and Dining Hall, with the Control Room to the right. The lever at bottom right (in the ON position) has closed our southern gate.

AD_127.jpg

Our bedrooms. There are currently three levels of this, all pretty much the same. The Magma Pump Stack is going to run right through the center of this. Dwarven central heating!

AD_128.jpg

Our Magma Forges. They will have to be rearranged somewhat, because the Magma Pump Stack is going to run right through this room.

AD_129.jpg

Does anyone want to see something specific?

Last edited:
Farms maybe, how much food are you producing for our fortress?
Our Farms are insanely small. Bear in mind that we now have 178 Dwarves plus visitors.

Our underground farm, for growing Plump Helmets, Sweet Pods, Cave wheat and Pig Tails:

AD_130.jpg

Not kidding. One room, and we've only bothered to plant the northern half of that.

Outdoor farm, for growing Parsnips and a few berries:

AD_131.jpg

One little patch, and the lower right (fallow) plots are not productive... they lap onto the Mountain Plateau biome (instead of the Forest biome like the other plots) and we still haven't found ANY seeds that will grow in that biome. Perhaps there AREN'T any.

You might think that we can't possibly keep 178 Dwarves well fed and happily drunk with the food and drink grown in those two small spots, but...

AD_132.jpg

... over 1000 each of food and drink in storage, and we are eating almost nothing but Lavish prepared meals, each of which has three ingredients (ie: we are consuming food three times faster than necessary, for morale-building purposes).

Food and drink are not a problem.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've come up with a use for those useless Fishermen!

I'll just let them go outside to fish, and they'll act as an Early Warning System. Any Goblin ambush will probably hit them instead of a more useful Dwarf.

Reactions:
I've come up with a use for those useless Fishermen!

I'll just let them go outside to fish, and they'll act as an Early Warning System. Any Goblin ambush will probably hit them instead of a more useful Dwarf.
Heh, that sounds cruel.

But given what you said about our farm size, maybe not a bad idea. Let's hope they don't wear any worthwhile stuff.

Why are building you pump stack double? Shouldn't one be enough?
Double width doubles the speed at which we can refill our overhead Magma reservoir. Or, if we choose to pump directly to the outside, it doubles the flow rate.

Is it possible to permanently bathe the outside in lava, and if so, is that a risk?

I mean, I understand we won't get any traders or new immigrants, but we have a ton of people anyway.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
For anyone who has never built a pump stack, here is a short tutorial:

First, dig out a HUGE shaft, four tiles long and as wide as you want your pump stack (one tile for Iche_Bins, two tiles for me). The levels must alternate, with even numbered levels going floor-hole-floor-hole, and odd numbered levels going hole-floor-hole-floor.

Like this:

AD_133.jpg

That way, there is a hole on the level immediately above every floor tile, and a floor tile on the level immediately above every hole. Except for the very bottom level, just above the Magma, which has no hole in the middle of the floor, only at one end.

It may seem crazy, but there is METHOD in my madness!

Then you start assembling your pumps. ALL COMPONENTS MUST BE MADE OF MAGMA_SAFE MATERIALS.

Presumably you have pre-built all the components that you will need. Since I am building a double-wide pump stack about 150 levels tall, I will need enough components to build 300 pumps. That's 300 blocks, 300 giant corkscrews, and 300 tubes. I will be using Green Glass for ALL of the components (blocks, corkscrews, tubes), since it is Magma-Safe and consumes no materials to manufacture (only time and effort).

On every level that has a ledge on the left (and a hole on the right), the Pump is oriented to pump from right to left. On every level that has a ledge on the right (and a hole on the left), the pump is oriented to pump from left to right.

Like this:

AD_134.jpg

So each pump is going to suck up the Magma that's sitting on the ledge on the level below, and shove it sideways onto the ledge on the pump's own level. Each blob of Magma gets passed like a bucket in a bucket brigade, going up one level each time it passes through a pump. Since this is happening on EVERY level of the stack simultaneously, the result is a steady flow of Magma out the top of the stack.

A final few details:

Pumps must be built on "solid ground", so the game won't let us build them over those holes. In the entire stack, only the pump on the very bottom level (with no hole under the Glass Block) can be built at first. But once THAT pump is built, the top of the Glass Block acts as "solid ground" for the pump in the next level up... allowing us to build the pumps, one at a time, starting at the bottom of the stack and finishing at the top.

If these holes in the floor force us to build the pumps one at a time (with each completed pump providing a stable working surface for building the next one up) instead of using a big work-force to build them all at once, you might wonder WHY it is designed this way?

It's because directly adjacent machines... and a pump is a machine, for game purposes... will pass power to each other without any need of external connections. And since each pump rests directly on the pump below (touching it, through that hole in the floor), we only need to connect the power feed to ONE of the pumps, and it will pass the power to all the rest.

Naturally, we still have to supply enough power to RUN all the pumps... but we don't have to distribute it to three hundred individual pumps. Just connect the power feed to ANY pump, and because they are all touching each other, they share out the power between themselves.

Any questions?

Reactions:
Is it possible to permanently bathe the outside in lava, and if so, is that a risk?

I mean, I understand we won't get any traders or new immigrants, but we have a ton of people anyway.
It can be done... although there are some pretty nasty creatures that LIVE in lava. And, of course, fliers would ignore it completely.

Also... that would completely cut us off from supplies of wood. Steel-making requires charcoal or coke, even at a Magma Forge.

EDIT: And we will need HUGE quantities of Wood for our Waterwheels. That pump-stack will need LOTS of power. 3000 power just for the pumps alone.

Last edited:
It can be done... although there are some pretty nasty creatures that LIVE in lava. And, of course, fliers would ignore it completely.

Also... that would completely cut us off from supplies of wood. Steel-making requires charcoal or coke, even at a Magma Forge.
Ah, right, that would be counter-indicated... no steel means no civilization!