AleDrinkers - Zombies, Dragons, Ghosts... and maybe Vampires! Dwarf Fortress Game version 47.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why don't we just use steam power or geothermal power?

Why no power plants?
If you mean my usual perpetual motion power generator, we'll likely be using them once the stream fills up. But without an Aquifer to replace any water that evaporates, we'll need to build them with a connection to the stream anyway.
Why don't we just use steam power or geothermal power?
Dwarves haven't invented those things yet. The in-game physics engine has no code to support them.

My frame-rate, initially 100 FPS, has been dropping steadily as the game goes on, and now dips as low as the 30s.

AD_108.jpg

This is one of the main causes of fort abandonment... the game eventually becomes a chore to play.

I'm still game to continue, though. I'll try slaughtering some of our animals, and see if that helps.

:mad:

Those damn Fishermen have been sneaking out of the fort and fishing! I didn't realize it until I checked our stockpiles and noticed that they are clogged with literally hundreds of empty Mussel shells.

AD_110.jpg

I've turned off fishing on all of the dwarves, and set one of the idiots to turning those shells into crafts.

The mass slaughter of most of our domestic animals... I had a Cow-splosion!... has raised our frame rate back into the 60s.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The third level of our wall, the overhanging walkway, and the fortified arrow-slits are all completed, and work has begun on roofing-in the ramparts to prevent frenzied Marksdwarves from leaping off the wall into the midst of the enemy whenever they run out of ammo.

AD_111.jpg

View looking north-northeast, with the southern gate at middle right.

Isn't our fort beautiful?

One of the most amazing things about this game is that you begin by walking out into the wilderness, with nothing but your pristine natural surroundings, your seven Dwarves, and the tools in their hands... and you end up creating something like this.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Another wave of migrants... 29 of them, including four more children. That takes us up to near 150. If the invaders only hold off until the end of the year...

So far our Fort has used up over 2000 blocks of masonry... and remember that the ground floor of the outer walls (and all levels of the Keep) was built with undressed stone! So those 2000 blocks only represent the upper works of the outer walls.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Not sure what this is all about...?

AD_112.jpg

AD_113.jpg

Ral Groovedwires is a dwarven name (as opposed to a Human or Goblin name) but there is no such dwarf living in my fort. Never heard of the Band of Evisceration, either, although it sounds like a Goblin tribe. It's not on our list of known civilizations, though.

AD_114.jpg

Wait... WHAT? We're at war with the Elves? When did that happen?

AD_115.jpg

Yup... we're at war alright. "Mabdugkosak" is dwarven for "Aledrinkers". That's us.

Checking our Dodge-Em Trap again... the Elven Diplomat and his two bodyguards are gone. Either they left under their own power, or they fell into the Dodge-Em Trap and died, whereupon the Elves declared war.

Damn Hippies!

Finished! Our outer walls are finished!

Three levels tall, with an overhanging walkway to stop climbers, Fortified arrow-slits all around, and a roof overhead to contain any maddened Dwarves who are overcome by blood-lust.

Feast your eyes!

AD_116.jpg

AD_117.jpg

Just a few more touches to add, and we'll be ready for those damn Hippies. Or Goblins. Or Zombies. Or some combination.

It does look like a mighty fine fort, even if it might as well be human, for all that surface construction :D

Realizing that the treacherous Elven Diplomat has probably scoped out our defenses and memorized the location of our traps before leaving, I'm adding a trapped maze to the inner gate of our Dodge-Em Trap.

Our cage-traps caught a couple of Grasshopper Men hopping up to our gate.

AD_118.jpg

We have a number of options on what to do with them:

1) Drop them into the Dodge-Em Trap to test it.

2) Use them for live-fire Militia training.

3) Release them into the wild (although they might just try to enter the fort again).

4) Use them to create a Grasshopper Man version of the "Puppy Bomb", to distract invaders.

5) Start a Zoo. Some Dwarves like Grasshopper Men "for their great leaps".

Any preferences? Any other ideas?

So far our Fort has used up over 2000 blocks of masonry... and remember that the ground floor of the outer walls (and all levels of the Keep) was built with undressed stone! So those 2000 blocks only represent the upper works of the outer walls.
Well you still have 2.442 million stone blocks left to build something even bigger :D
Also do you put most of your animals in cages?

Well you still have 2.442 million stone blocks left to build something even bigger :D
Also do you put most of your animals in cages?
No, I just let them run around. That probably contributes to my drop in frame rate, but on the other hand it means lots of breeding and a good Butcher / Tanner / Leather industry, as well as lots of bones for Strange Moods.

I've been culling the herds with a fairly heavy hand lately... and it has nearly doubled my frame-rate.

In other news:

Our Metalcrafters are getting so good at making Trap Components that one of them just made a Big Spikey Ball worth over 15,000 dwarf-bucks!

AD_119.jpg

Notice that it's NOT an Artifact... it's just very, very well made.