• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For 'Staunch Traditionalists' the stubborn trait becomes more common which seems really cool! Would it be possible to mod this affect in for other traits? If so then would it only be for the personality traits or would any trait be possible?

• 9Like
Reactions:
I also hope diplo range has been modified because -25% range when it's already so small seems terrible. We're playing a game where Jerusalem can't communicate with Europe past Croatia

• 12Like
Reactions:
By the Sword looks like a good one for the Crusading Culture of Crusading, especially when combined with the Custom Crusading Creed of Convincing Crusading I've previously made with the custom faiths tool.

The piety gain reduction is a *little* painful, but we'll have to work around it.

I don't like Isolationist, because it seems to have far more downside than upside.
I don't like Stauch Traditionalist because I really don't like cultural progress penalties.

And then *both* of these make it harder to hybridise, which rather defeats the purpose of having it available...
I suppose you could diverge out of Traditionalist (although this seems out of flavour for the tradition as well).

Mystical Ancestors looks like it could be amazing if you can work around partition successions, and thus don't necessarily need to disinherit someone.

• 2Like
Reactions:
We have several different ways of unlocking traditions. Some will be available depending on your culture, or your heritage. Certain traditions have unique triggers, such as Mystical Ancestors, which is only available to cultures that start with it, so you will have to hybridize with an existing culture if you would like to have acquire it for your own culture.
Norse Arabian mystical fylkirate

• 3Like
Reactions:
These are certainly interesting as options for the players - but what I'm even more interested in is how they'll impact AI. If a certain culture has traditions that make them harder to conquer, that'll affect their map presence, slowing the expanse of other realms into their space. If a culture is less likely to mingle with other cultures but likes its own more, it'll form a coherent block that's hard to approach from outside. Hopefully, things like this will make the different cultures feel distinct when not playing as them - to make the different areas of the map feel different for the different people in there.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is very interesting, but I am very worried that some of these might be made in a way that no one will ever want or love, to he point where some traditions might be thought of as the "bad" or "annoying" by the overall community.
Will this be to be expect when some of these traditions? (note, I am not specifically talking these traditions. I just made an assumption based on the the seeable benfiits of some being very high, and the possible disadvantageous of others)

• 4Like
Reactions:
"By the sword" is overpowered. Unlimited kingdom-tier invastions, seriously? Claims become less and less relevant thanks to a lot of OP CBs, but now you can make them unlimited for your culture. Not just something as "ability for a single character who finished the whole Learning tree" but permanent buff to a culture.
And paired with Mystical Ancestors means a lot of basically unlimited Renown unless it's capped somehow

And it's only the first part of the Tradition, CB level requirement reduction makes it even stronger

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
can we expect the AI to take traditions into consideration for their actions? Stalwart Defenders seems like one they should be considering when declaring wars

• 1Like
Reactions:
"By the sword" is overpowered. Unlimited kingdom-tier invastions, seriously? Claims become less and less relevant thanks to a lot of OP CBs, but now you can make them unlimited for your culture. And paired with Mystical Ancestors means a lot of basically unlimited Renown unless it's capped somehow

And it's only the first part of the Tradition, CB level requirement reduction makes it even stronger
There is a limit to how many Holy Wars you can practically launch before you've got too much wrong-religion land to cope with, and far too many rebellious counties.

And since they're Holy Wars rather than invasions, you do have to deal with their neighbours who are the same religion as them each time (although it should get easier over time in a given area).

Since it's a Holy War you're also limited to who you can target. if you're a ruler with this culture and stuck inside land controlled by your faith with no enemy faiths bordering you, the tradition doesn't help you at all.

Reactions:
It's weird that the Collective Lands tradition doesn't modify the -10 general opinion for peasant leaders. The description and mechanic makes it seem like the culture should be accepting of them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
There is a limit to how many Holy Wars you can practically launch before you've got too much wrong-religion land to cope with, and far too many rebellious counties.
Only if all conquered land is one monoblock religion, otherwise it's as managable as one chunk taken
And since they're Holy Wars rather than invasions, you do have to deal with their neighbours who are the same religion as them each time (although it should get easier over time in a given area).
That might've been a thing in CK2, but in CK3 AI almost never joins those.
Since it's a Holy War you're also limited to who you can target. if you're a ruler with this culture and stuck inside land controlled by your faith with no enemy faiths bordering you, the tradition doesn't help you at all.
So..? Obviously you won't pick it as English count surrounded by Catholic realms, but that doesn't make it less strong

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's weird that the Collective Lands tradition doesn't modify the -10 general opinion for peasant leaders. The description and mechanic makes it seem like the culture should be accepting of them.
Yeah.. I feel like maybe a separate trait or a different description might also be nessiscary.

Reactions:
Only if all conquered land is one monoblock religion, otherwise it's as managable as one chunk taken
You still have the problem that if you Holy War for Kingdom A, then Kingdom B, then Kingdom C, and so on, even if they're all different religions they are all going to spawn their own revolt factions. If they *are* all the same, then you're going to get a huge revolt faction.

That might've been a thing in CK2, but in CK3 AI almost never joins those.
Then you're playing a very different game to me.

I almost can't move for other nearby members of the enemy faith joining in Holy Wars in some play throughs.

So..? Obviously you won't pick it as English count surrounded by Catholic realms, but that doesn't make it less strong

I'm pointing out that it's **not** invasion. You're much more limited to who you can target with it, and whilst it's strong **if** you're at the edge of your faith, you can't expect to hold that position indefinitely in normal play. In some situations (say there's been a Crusade that's taken the wrong faith land on your border), it risks being a pretty much entirely dead trait, and even just a pure penalty.

Reactions:
I like that they're not just flat bonuses but also maluses too, limiting power creep. Possibly just one suggestion for Isolationist cultures, which seem to be leaning a bit towards the underpowered side: maybe they could get something like a small fort level bonus in addition to the control bonus?

• 1Like
Reactions:
You still have the problem that if you Holy War for Kingdom A, then Kingdom B, then Kingdom C, and so on, even if they're all different religions they are all going to spawn their own revolt factions. If they *are* all the same, then you're going to get a huge revolt faction.
They will be different factions. Just stack your armies and kill those levies peasants one by one

Then you're playing a very different game to me.

I almost can't move for other nearby members of the enemy faith joining in Holy Wars in some play throughs.
Maybe you have some mods. Just finished Jimena campaign few days ago when I conquered the whole Iberia and even some way south holy-warring both Ashari and Muwalladi with duchy and kingdom tier HW and no one ever joined
I'm pointing out that it's **not** invasion. You're much more limited to who you can target with it, and whilst it's strong **if** you're at the edge of your faith, you can't expect to hold that position indefinitely in normal play. In some situations (say there's been a Crusade that's taken the wrong faith land on your border), it risks being a pretty much entirely dead trait, and even just a pure penalty.
So..? And I'm still pointing out that for situations where you have some hostile faith surrounding you, which happens often, this tradition is still OP. Just don't pick it when you have no other faiths around, that doesn't make it less strong

• 2Like
Reactions:
By The Sword turn the "paint the map" more easy
Mystical Ancestor looks good to players like me who like to give duchies and counties to sons and cousins
Stalwart Defenders to URSS style and players who like to develop your country xD

I really liked this new changes in culture

• 1Like
Reactions:
By the Sword reminds me of CB creep in CK2 where by the end you had so many ridiculous ways to blob that you had to handicap yourself. I suppose when we get a Rome DLC Byzantium will also regain its "imperial legacy" CB or whatever it was called

So I would suggest maybe toning it down. Reduced cost for holy wars perhaps? Fighting for kingdom level territories repeatedly just seems like way too much...

• 2Like
Reactions:
trad_collective_lands.png

[Image of the Collective Lands tradition]

What is this, Soviet traditions?

• 10Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: