• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #6 - Interest Groups

DD6 Thumb.png

Hello once again and welcome back to yet another Victoria 3 dev diary. Where previous dev diaries have been focusing on the economy, we’re now going to switch gears to another core pillar of the Victoria series - internal politics! More specifically, we’re going to be talking about Interest Groups, which form the nucleus of Victoria 3’s political gameplay.

What then, are Interest Groups? Fundamentally, an Interest Group is a collection of pops that espouse certain political views and want to change the country to be more in line with those views. Interest Groups are drawn from a number of different templates, but will vary in their exact views from country to country, based on factors such as the local religion, which social movements have appeared in the country or the personal views of their leader.

The Landowners is an Interest Group dominated by the Aristocracy and tends to be firmly in the conservative side of politics
dd6_1.png

As mentioned, Interest Groups are fundamentally made up of Pops - all individuals in all Pops are either members of an Interest Group or Politically Inactive, with the ratio in each based on factors such as Profession, Wealth, Literacy etc. Individuals inside Pops contribute Political Strength to their Interest Group of choice, with the amount they contribute again dependent on multiple factors, the main ones being their material Wealth and the status (and/or votes!) they are offered under the nation’s power structure.

For example, a single wealthy Aristocrat in an Oligarchy will provide hundreds or even thousands times the political strength of a poor laborer. The total Political Strength of all Pops in an Interest Group is what gives it its level of Clout - the amount of political weight it can assert on the country and the government. It’s important to note though that Pops are not unified in which Interest Groups they support - individuals within Pops are the ones who decide their Interest Group, and a single Pop can potentially have individuals supporting every Interest Group in the game (in different numbers).

Some Pops have no political strength at all, usually due to being disenfranchised under the nation’s laws (such as people of a religion or culture that is discriminated against, or women in countries that haven’t instituted women’s suffrage). These Pops are ‘outside the system’ so to speak, unable to demand reform through the regular political system of Interest Groups, and instead having to rely on other methods to put pressure on the government, but we won’t focus on those today.

Individual members of a Pop can support different Interest Groups - or stay out of politics altogether!
dd6_2.png

As mentioned above, Interest Groups have a number of ideologies which determine their views on which laws the country should or should not enact. Different Interest Groups will have different ideologies (the Landowners are significantly more conservative than the Trade Unions, for example - shocking, I know!) but these are not entirely set in stone - they can change over the course of the game and will also vary based on the current leader of the Interest Group, who comes with his or her own personal ideology and view of the world. Additionally, some Interest Groups in certain countries have unique ideologies colored by their religion and culture, such as the Confucian Scholars Interest Group in Qing China who (unsurprisingly) espouse a Confucian ideology.

Interest Groups will generally favor laws that benefit them in some way
dd6_3.png

I mentioned previously that Interest Groups have a level of Clout based on the total Political Strength of their constituent Pops. Clout is calculated by comparing their Political Strength to that of the other Interest Groups in the country - if all the Interest Groups in Belgium put together have 100k Political Strength and the Landowners have 30k, they correspondingly get 30% of the Clout in Belgium. The Interest Group’s Clout will determine their classification - Powerful, Influential or Marginalized.

Interest Groups also have a level of Approval, which is based on factors such as how much they approve of the country’s laws, whether they are in government or in opposition, and how many of their individual members are Loyalists or Radicals (more on those in a later dev diary). There are numerous other factors that can affect Approval as well, such as how you react to certain events or decisions that you take.

Together, the classification and Approval of an Interest Group determines which Traits are active for an Interest Group at any given time, and how impactful they are. There are different traits, positive and negative, with positive traits being activated when an Interest Group is happy and negative ones when they are… not so happy. If an Interest Group is Powerful, the effects of any traits they have active (good or bad) are stronger, while an Interest Group that is Marginalized cannot activate traits at all, as they are too weak to exert an effect on the whole country.

Traits are, of course, not the only way that Interest Groups can affect a country, and it’s even possible for one (or several!) angry Interest Groups to start a civil war, potentially bringing in foreign countries to support them.

Keep the aristocracy happy, and they’ll be more willing to reinvest their ‘hard-earned’ money into the country
dd6_4.png

Now, something that’s been a hotly debated topic in the community in regards to Interest Groups is Political Parties and whether they will be a part of Victoria 3 so I want to briefly touch on this. What I can tell you for now is that we are currently looking into a solution where parties can form in certain countries as constellations of Interest Groups holding a shared political platform. This is something that’s by no means fully nailed down at this point though, so don’t take this as a 100% firm commitment to how they would function. What I can tell you for sure is that we will come back to this particular topic later!

That’s all for today, though we’ll certainly be coming back to the subject of Interest Groups and looking at the different types you will encounter in later dev diaries. With July and summer vacations coming up, we’re going to take a short break from Development Diaries, but we’ll be back on July 22nd as Mikael returns to continue talking about politics in Victoria 3, on the subject of Laws.

• 341Like
  • 122Love
Reactions:
Also, natural disasters. If there is one thing Paradox has missed out of all their games it is the influence of natural disasters. Why isnt the world map painted pink blue grey or white? At some point floods, plagues, earthquakes, disease, drought and more plagues happened.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You definitely can! One of the design pillars of Victoria 3 was to not treat liberalism as an inevitable progression but rather something that emerges organically from your actions and which you could try to hold back, or encourage, or revert. There are certainly forces (mostly economic) in the world that encourages the trend towards liberalism but you can try to build a perfect pious agrarian society if you so wish.
Well, I guess the follow up question would be, could you create a religious conservative society, which is industrialized? I would hate that choosing a conservative/religious pathway would lock you into an agrarian economy (since that historically was not always true).

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think this whole discussion about the role and nature of IGs and how they model irl politics is interesting. I guess it depends how complex the models of power structures in the game can or will be. Because obviously the 19th century was a time when a hell of a lot of new ideas for how states and governments should be organised were flying around.

I think it would be worth considering a geographic basis for pop political power. Say you're in a highly centralised absolute monarchy, then an aristocrat or clergyman in the capital will probably wield a lot more political strength than a pop halfway across the empire in a rural backwater. On the other hand, a Leninist-style communist republic would have councils in every town and province, in theory having equal power to each other. Similarly a federal empire like the German Reich would have much more powerful aristocrats and officers in each of the provincal capitals. I guess ultimately I'm hoping that there is some kind of shifting centralisation vs decentralisation in the game, and how that would be reflected.

Regarding power structures themselves, IGs are a decent catch-all for informal groups, established churches, trade unions, political parties, regional governing bodies, industrial concerns, financial bodies, and so forth, but I think the game might really benefit if each of these systems is given its own room to breathe and interact. Maybe even a category for hostile groups like revolutionary groups and terrorist cells. Each did have different roles in society and politics, after all, that I don't think a generic IG system would really model. I think if you started somewhere without a legislature or something then political parties and trade unions and such would start to emerge as IGs became more militant and organised. Sort of how the Jacobins grew out of the Third Estate in France. Or it could go the other way, like the UK's Labour Party, a political party that grew out of the extant union movement. Or if your capitalists don't feel represented by a socially-minded government, they might start to coalesce as an organised business lobby to try and promote their own interests outside of the normal party politics. Or maybe if you have a regional-nationalist political party that you're trying to supress, eventually a terrorist cell emerges that's much harder to surpress and starts giving you bad events. Or if you're trying to establish or maintain a theocracy, all your time and energy would go to promoting the interests and power of the established church, and try and make it such that all other groups are slowly starved of power and die away.

I appreciate this would probably be complicated, but I think the basis would still be the same. Every group would still be an IG, but they'd each have a different type, and the player would have a different set of interactions with each of them. Think of it like EU4's different subject types giving different subject interactions. It's much simpler to interact with a political party or trade union than it is to negotiate with an Estate of like-minded landowners, for instance, so for the former the player would have more tools to interact with, influence, or attempt to supress them. You'd also need to allow pops to join multiple IGs at the same time, but also limit it by type. All pops should be part of an informal group, but also could be a member of a political party, a union, and a subversive group, all at the same time.

It's fun to spitball about dream games, tbh. Hopefully this sort of political complexity makes it into the game eventually. Considering how Stellaris radically changed, anything's possible!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Interesting!
You've touched a bit on leaders being influenced by the interest groups they lead (and vice versa), so I'm curious - is it possible to "force" a leader to have a name, portrait and set of ideologies through events or some similar mechanism? Or will they always be randomized (within the limits of the interest group they lead of course)?

1. How different will the desires of different IGs be from country to country? For example historically Southern aristocrats in the USA supported slavery, whereas British aristocrats generally did not (and vice versa with having a monarch). Can these change over time, for example would a monarchist USA eventually be able to create pro monarchist aristocrats?
2. Will we have the same interest groups regardless of government? For example will we still have the landowner IG in a communist country?
While Interest Groups in all countries follow the same broad templates, there can be local variations. From your example, the US variant of the Landowners (Southern Planters) do support slavery, while in other countries where slavery has already been abolished the Landowners tend to be ambivalent to it. In some countries they might even oppose it as uncouth and barbaric.

However, while it's possible for Interest Group types to differ from country to country and for Interest Group Ideologies to change in response to events or temporarily along with their Leaders, the extent by which this happen is fairly limited. For the political system to be interesting to engage with the Ideologies of each group have to be balanced such that by default any given Law will please some groups and anger others. If the groups stray too far from their molds then a subset of the Laws would become uninteresting to try to pass, and if the Interest Groups were to change their ideologies too frequently it'd be hard to get a handle on what they stand for and what role they play.

Government form, or rather the legal implications of the government form, can have a huge impact on Interest Groups' power. To use your example, in a communist country private ownership is abolished, which alters the Ownership Production Method of buildings. This in turn effectively abolishes both capitalism and the aristocracy, which devastates the power base of the Industrialists and Landowners respectively. So after a communist government form has been instituted there may still be some holdouts who support the old ways, but it's likely these Interest Group will become Marginalized in favor of more powerful Trade Unions, Intelligentsia, and Rural Folk. So while the vestige of the Interest Group will remain and will re-emerge if conditions changes, it will be rendered irrelevant without a power base.

• 36Like
  • 9Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
> but these are not entirely set in stone - they can change over the course of the game and will also vary based on the current leader of the Interest Group, who comes with his or her own personal ideology and view of the world

I actually find this surprising. I was assuming we'd see interest groups as a more static thing that changed by people joining them or leaving them. (Given the removal of the static "con/reactionary/lib/fasc/soc/anarcholib/com" I had assumed that instead of trying to push parties to change(ie, the republican party becoming more abolitionist as time goes on), that we'd see it coming from the popularization of interest groups(for example, the popularization of either a "abolitionist" group or "radical republican" group).

I'm also surprised at how...at face value people are talking about elections and parties? Like, I read interest groups as a measure to move away from the "public image"/"idealist" view of elections. The way clout and IG's seem to be it seems like it's set up to model things like: Political parties that don't represent a large section of their constitutiants(at least, well), interest groups that hold influence regardless of elections(I suspect industrialists in britian, for example, will hold much sway regardless of who wins seats in parlement, for example). The idea of a direct election, where you count pops votes, rather then use clout to calculate the more devious and beurocratic ways groups can influence elections, but also the ruling coalitions those develop seems...shortsighted.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I guess the follow up question would be, could you create a religious conservative society, which is industrialized? I would hate that choosing a conservative/religious pathway would lock you into an agrarian economy (since that historically was not always true).
Yes, but it's harder. A more industrialized economy requires a more educated workforce, and a more literate population is both more likely to get involved with politics and also more likely to support Interest Groups that demand liberal reforms like voting rights and free speech. One way to try to play this is to try to max out on Authority so you can try to keep these sentiments under control. If one of these movements should boil over, you can put it back down with a powerful military. Another strategy if you have a lot of workforce at your disposal is to not modernize your factories, instead relying on large quantities of poorly educated Laborers rather than Machinists and Engineers. The former tend to be less politically engaged in the first place and also have less political strength on account of their low incomes.

• 15Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Really hoping the Family Compact and Chateau Clique in Upper and Lower Canada are represented through this system as the names for the landowner IGs. it would be perfect for that!

• 1Love
Reactions:
The idea of a direct election, where you count pops votes, rather then use clout to calculate the more devious and beurocratic ways groups can influence elections, but also the ruling coalitions those develop seems...shortsighted.
It's both. While the precise mechanics around how votes are counted and what role parties will play (if any) is something we're not quite yet ready to talk about, one thing that is not under discussion is that both political strength derived from Pop Wealth as well as votes cast in democratic elections will definitely count towards the effective political influence each power bloc will have. In addition, political strength can be affected by Laws (e.g. Monarchy giving more power to the Landowners) and even things like geography (Pops in the capital do get a bonus to their political strength compared to Pops who live elsewhere, while Pops in unincorporated states like colonies get much less.)

So no, we're definitely not presenting an idealized version of how democracy magically creates perfectly equitable distribution of power due to 1 man, 1 vote. But we also want elections to act as important events where it's entirely possible that the balance of power suddenly shifts overnight due to powerful popular movements, public sentiment, or voter manipulation.

Last edited:
  • 31Like
  • 17Love
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Wizzington and the extra info Iachek and KaiserJohan - this sounds like yet another interesting component of a machine with lots of moving parts, and sounds wonderfully Vicky :cool: Really love the moddability as well - super-cool :)

My favourite interest group action would be the lobbying for more dreadnoughts, of "We want eight and we won't wait" fame - which also makes for a good naval pic for this DD - here's one of the eight, the Orion-class battleship HMS Thunderer - the closest intersection between warships and interest groups I can think of!

1625185916034.png

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
but it's entirely possible for the Armed Forces to gain a Leader that has a different ideological bent. In that case you can indeed end up with an Armed Forces that is strongly pro-Communist, which may be beneficial or problematic for you.
This sounds really arbitrary in a game that's all about emergent simulation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This sounds really arbitrary in a game that's all about emergent simulation.
Part of the emergent simulation is that people exist and they sometimes have ideologies that vary from what you would expect, and you have to deal with it. The game can't actually simulate the whole lives of everyone in your country, so there needs to be some "arbitrariness" to some aspect of it, to simulate the stuff that isn't simulated. Miss these surprises is also a failure of simulation.

I imagine there is some weight to what ideologies the leaders will be, which you may be able to influence. And the devs have already said that you the leaders can't stay too far from their own IG (no anarchist military leader)

• 8Like
Reactions:
Aristocrats have wifes as well though, so womans sufferage should really not change the influence of the common folk or what am i missing?
There’s a lot more common folk than aristocrats. Giving common folk and aristocrats a population based influence boost benefits common folk more

• 1Like
Reactions:
Judging by the large stain in my pants, I would say this was a pretty great dev diary. Thanks a lot Wiz!

I am taking the day off tomorrow to recover.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Part of the emergent simulation is that people exist and they sometimes have ideologies that vary from what you would expect, and you have to deal with it. The game can't actually simulate the whole lives of everyone in your country, so there needs to be some "arbitrariness" to some aspect of it, to simulate the stuff that isn't simulated. Miss these surprises is also a failure of simulation.

I imagine there is some weight to what ideologies the leaders will be, which you may be able to influence. And the devs have already said that you the leaders can't stay too far from their own IG (no anarchist military leader)
I'm sorry but that is not how the world works at all. At best a monarch could do that but in reality only the most unstable places that already have a base for this (like the communists in the afghan army launching a coup) could see it happen. History doesn't have that many special surprises where the head of the US army suddenly reveals he's a communist and the whole armed forces all agree with him. This is a game of classes and demographics, if you want that kind of thing then go play crusader king, seriously, games like victoria are rare.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Totally. That said, governments of the time did keep tabs on potential leaders of movements, and sometimes took steps to eliminate them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm sorry but that is not how the world works at all. At best a monarch could do that but in reality only the most unstable places that already have a base for this (like the communists in the afghan army launching a coup) could see it happen. History doesn't have that many special surprises where the head of the US army suddenly reveals he's a communist
In the historical US, yes that would be absurd. However, in a divergent US where communism is able to take root it would be a lot less absurd. Though it certainly should not be “sudden.”

and the whole armed forces all agree with him.
Obviously this shouldn’t happen, and I don’t think it will. The ideology should already be present in the POPs that support the IG as a prerequisite.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Totally. That said, governments of the time did keep tabs on potential leaders of movements, and sometimes took steps to eliminate them.
Yeah, if you can't influence the leaders at all then that is a problem. But that is a very different problem than "there shouldn't be any RNG about the personality and inclination of the in-game characters".

• 1Like
Reactions: