• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CK3 Dev Diary #66 - A Fresh Coat of Paint
Greetings!

The sun is out, and we’ve all been enjoying pristine Azure skies during the Swedish midsummer celebrations. Or, well, a few of us have! Some members of the team got to enjoy a massive downpour of rain (which is customary, to be fair), and others even got to experience a refreshing storm of hail. Speaking of Azure, we’re releasing another small patch today which addresses a handful of issues (most notably some stability concerns):
  • Fixed unpause issues in multiplayer if choosing to continue in single player after network out of sync on 1.4.2
  • Fixed crash on save and progressive dynasty and title coat of arms disappearing
  • Fixed UI lists refresh, allowing to access characters for some interactions when they should not be available (i.e.: you could grant vassal to your liege characters from other realms)
  • Fixed crash happening after starting a fort assault during a crusade on a long playthrough save on 1.4.2

Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks. In practice this means that the next few Dev Diaries won’t be as meaty as the ones that came before. You can think of them more as teasers than proper Dev Diaries. When we’re back we’ll of course resume having more substantial ones!

With that being said, we don’t want to leave you empty handed. Summer vacation doesn’t start until next week after all. Some of you might have noticed in the previous Dev Diary that we had a small square at the top of the window when creating a hybrid or a divergent culture, showing a colour. This is of course a preview of the colour your new culture will have when it’s created. Clicking it allows you to change and set the colour of your culture exactly as you want it!

01_culture_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour during culture creation]

But we didn’t stop there! We added this new and wonderful tool in a couple of other places as well. As when creating a culture, we've added it for creating a new faith too.

02_faith_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour when creating a faith]

You'll also be able to change the colour when customizing a title. No longer will you have to settle on the colour the game picks for you when creating a custom kingdom or empire! Especially when that colour turns out to be neon pink... You can edit the colour for any title you hold or is held by your vassals, similar to how you are allowed to edit the name & adjective for titles in your realm. Yes, this means that you can make your vassal lands sport a cavalcade of colour if you so desire!

03_title_colour_picker.png

[Image of selecting a colour when customizing a title]

That's it for today, I'm afraid. While this might be a fairly small addition in the grand scheme of things, we do think it’s a nice and flavourful tool that lets you customize your experience more than before!

Since this dev diary is about aesthetics customization, I guess it's as good a place as any to ask whether there will be any new faith symbols coming with the update?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It may be a small thing, but I'm super hyped to see it, especially relating to realm colour itself.

Since we're on the topic of aesthetics, I'm really hoping for short names like in CK2, so that choosing a name like, for example, "German Empire" doesn't have to be "Empire of German Empire." It already kind of exists with things like the HRE, ERE, religious titles, and so on (at least until you try to rename them), so hopefully this is something we can get in the future.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Since this dev diary is about aesthetics customization, I guess it's as good a place as any to ask whether there will be any new faith symbols coming with the update?
If we can take that opportunity, could you add a Reformed version for Táltosism's icon? It's a shame that it doesn't have one since it's an interesting faith and also it would approximately be a 5 minute task.

On a related note, may I suggest adding the Turul depiction of Rakamaz as either replacing the current Táltosism symbol or as a new custom one?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Magnificent.

My request is to give a code for the colour. If I create a new, say Prussian Kingdom and Empire, I would like to change all of my de jure titles to some variation of Prussian Blue, so when editing all of those duchies, it would be nice to be able to paste the Prussian Blue code in and then tweak it to make it unique, rather than manually creating the colour every time.

Otherwise, this is a brilliant addition. Bravo!

Reactions:
CK3 Dev Diary #66 - A Fresh Coat of Paint
Greetings!

The sun is out, and we’ve all been enjoying pristine Azure skies during the Swedish midsummer celebrations. Or, well, a few of us have! Some members of the team got to enjoy a massive downpour of rain (which is customary, to be fair), and others even got to experience a refreshing storm of hail. Speaking of Azure, we’re releasing another small patch today which addresses a handful of issues (most notably some stability concerns):
  • Fixed unpause issues in multiplayer if choosing to continue in single player after network out of sync on 1.4.2
  • Fixed crash on save and progressive dynasty and title coat of arms disappearing
  • Fixed UI lists refresh, allowing to access characters for some interactions when they should not be available (i.e.: you could grant vassal to your liege characters from other realms)
  • Fixed crash happening after starting a fort assault during a crusade on a long playthrough save on 1.4.2

Beginning next week a majority of the team will be going on summer vacation, which means that it’ll be mostly deserted for the next five weeks. In practice this means that the next few Dev Diaries won’t be as meaty as the ones that came before. You can think of them more as teasers than proper Dev Diaries. When we’re back we’ll of course resume having more substantial ones!

With that being said, we don’t want to leave you empty handed. Summer vacation doesn’t start until next week after all. Some of you might have noticed in the previous Dev Diary that we had a small square at the top of the window when creating a hybrid or a divergent culture, showing a colour. This is of course a preview of the colour your new culture will have when it’s created. Clicking it allows you to change and set the colour of your culture exactly as you want it!

View attachment 735516
[Image of selecting a colour during culture creation]

But we didn’t stop there! We added this new and wonderful tool in a couple of other places as well. As when creating a culture, we've added it for creating a new faith too.

View attachment 735517
[Image of selecting a colour when creating a faith]

You'll also be able to change the colour when customizing a title. No longer will you have to settle on the colour the game picks for you when creating a custom kingdom or empire! Especially when that colour turns out to be neon pink... You can edit the colour for any title you hold or is held by your vassals, similar to how you are allowed to edit the name & adjective for titles in your realm. Yes, this means that you can make your vassal lands sport a cavalcade of colour if you so desire!

View attachment 735518
[Image of selecting a colour when customizing a title]

That's it for today, I'm afraid. While this might be a fairly small addition in the grand scheme of things, we do think it’s a nice and flavourful tool that lets you customize your experience more than before!
Can you customize coat of arms now?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Cool! Have been asking for this for titles but this is even better.

Now... what about allowing it to pick us our clothing color? I've tried to find it in savefiles but apparently it's hidden somewhere where it can't be easily edited. Any plans to eventually allow us to choose between those blue, red, white dresses?
Also, will it be possible to edit colors of already existing cultures and religions in-game? Even if not by default, would it be possible to modders to add this color choice for existing religion screens?
YES!!!! We need clothing colors! I'm getting so tired of the same old outfits that I'd pay $30 for a clothing only DLC but, I might be the only one Lol!

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
This is really nice, for a long time I wished that country color could be changed ingame!

Also, could you CK3 devs share this incredible piece of tech known as a color selector with the Stellaris team? I'm still not sure why they still use that limited color palette rather than leaving it free for us to customize :p

• 6Like
Reactions:
I want to have summer vacation too!

Reactions:
Magnificent.

My request is to give a code for the colour. If I create a new, say Prussian Kingdom and Empire, I would like to change all of my de jure titles to some variation of Prussian Blue, so when editing all of those duchies, it would be nice to be able to paste the Prussian Blue code in and then tweak it to make it unique, rather than manually creating the colour every time.

Otherwise, this is a brilliant addition. Bravo!
Good point, though I personally wouldn't want to take the time to do that. What I'd personally like would be the ability to set the top level title color and then have all lower title colors a variation of that color automatically similar to how it is now, but where the variations are based on the title color you set. This could of course be optional - perhaps a button for auto-colorize vassals based on selected color or something. That way I get a nice looking realm without much effort (I'm lazy ;)).

• 1Like
Reactions: