Support your local Coat of Arms initiatives!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jarl Galdur

Archimage
35 Badges
Mar 8, 2017
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Oi folks!

Like many of you, I see a post about a Coat of Arms designer every couple of days, may it be here on the forums or on reddit. Suggestions, comments in DDs, complaints, there are many opinions about this but it's quite decentralised. We've been told back when the Ruler Designer was released that we would see, some day, a full Coat of Arms designer.

From Dev Diary #43 : A Ruler of your Own

To ensure we could release the ruler designer in a timely fashion and offer a deep visual cosmetic system for your characters we took the decision to not spend time on a custom coat of arms designer.
I know this will be a disappointment to some of you, it is to us as well, but we wanted to prioritise giving you all a functional and fun Ruler Designer for the core aspects first.
We currently support randomising the coat of arms instead, the randomisation rules obey our normal coat of arms generation rules so it will be filled with emblems and designs fitting of your faith, culture, and title.

We don't have any concrete data or timeline for a Coat of Arms designer, but it is definitely something on our list of things we want

From Dev Diary #66 : A Fresh Coat of Paint

Alas, it does not. A proper Coat of Arms designer is still very high up on my wishlist of things I want us to get around to, so it's certainly something we'll add at some point. The only question is when.

Sorry blackninja9939 and Servancour if this pings you, it's not my intention!

Meanwhile, I want to propose this thread as a hub to keep track of these suggestions and to elevate them instead of constantly creating new ones. Here's the most common suggestions :

- Implementation of a full Coat of Arms designer.

- Improving the randomiser by offering multiple options per click, and being able to lock some of them.

- Improving the randomiser by adding a 'randomise only colours' button.

With the arrival of Azure and Royal Court, the later of which is very feudal European / clan themed, I can't think of a better time to introduce an improvement to what we have now.

Here are four example of threads on the forums that are CoA related.

Here are three threads on reddit talking about this.

If you can find a thread about a Coat of Arms designer that has more support than what I have found, let me know and I'll update the links.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
I hope this suggestion is on the desk of the Devs right now. A really powerful CoA Designer, with all the random options being eligible for creating a unique coat of arms is possibly the most awesome & needed mechanic for this game.

• 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
you didn't post the dev response saying that it's going to happen.

Reactions:
One thing that will be absolutely crucial to a good COA designer will be the ability to copy one you're happy with like the DNA in the ruler designer.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
One thing that will be absolutely crucial to a good COA designer will be the ability to copy one you're happy with like the DNA in the ruler designer.
only you know... less clunky. you should just be able to save both not need to copy. past to a file so that you can copy and past it back later. That sort of work around is more than two decades past acceptable.

Reactions:
only you know... less clunky. you should just be able to save both not need to copy. past to a file so that you can copy and past it back later. That sort of work around is more than two decades past acceptable.
Well, I mainly want it for modding, so being able to copy is what I care about.

Well, I mainly want it for modding, so being able to copy is what I care about.
I want it for the base game, but you made me realise how much potential this has for modding. It will be way less of a chore to create interesting dynasty CoAs for modders with an integrated tool like this. I not too mod-savy, but I'm sure the ruler designer has been already been quite helpful.

Reactions:
I would just like for this to potentially be editable mid game, like when you form a cadet branch editing a new COA or when you ascend from Duke to King or King to Emperor and such.

Reactions:
Yeah the Coat of arms is far more important than how the nose of your first ruler looks. Really could not understand why they let this part out of the ruler designer.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah the Coat of arms is far more important than how the nose of your first ruler looks. Really could not understand why they let this part out of the ruler designer.
i guess it's harder to implement than we think. off the top of my head it'd be a challenge to prevent duplicates

Reactions:
i guess it's harder to implement than we think. off the top of my head it'd be a challenge to prevent duplicates
I agree with the fact that it must be hard to implement. We can all imagine a pretty basic version, but CKII showed us that it was extremely hard to produce interesting Coat of Arms using a system that simple. I'm eager to find out how they're going to implement it in CKIII.

If you look at the quote in the first post of this thread, Paradox mentionned that they didn't have the time to create and release both the Ruler designer and the Coat of Arms designer at the same moment. I reckon this was the right decision : Steam reviews for the game show the biggest influx of positive reviews after launch when the Ruler designer released (for free!). I'm sure folks want a CoA designer, I, for sure want one, but the Ruler designer is not a superfluous addition.

Reactions:
Just provided they get the colour/metal thing right with whatever they do!

CK2 regularly producing coats of arms that were ugly and difficult to read because of them applying colour on colour (and having multiple shades of the same colour, so you could get "red" on "dark red") was not good.
Sometimes you want to copy it out for later - or for use on another machine, or to post to the forums - and just being able to save it in your game isn't enough.

Being able to save it **and** being able to copy it out to the clipboard would be best.
I would just like for this to potentially be editable mid game, like when you form a cadet branch editing a new COA or when you ascend from Duke to King or King to Emperor and such.
That's an interesting idea. Being able to manually change title coats of arms when you form them would be handy. Even more so if you can set the kingdom or empire coat of arms to use the dynasty arms *or* the standard/custom coat.

Reactions:
To ensure we could release the ruler designer in a timely fashion and offer a deep visual cosmetic system for your characters we took the decision to not spend time on a custom coat of arms designer.
I know this will be a disappointment to some of you, it is to us as well, but we wanted to prioritise giving you all a functional and fun Ruler Designer for the core aspects first.
We currently support randomising the coat of arms instead, the randomisation rules obey our normal coat of arms generation rules so it will be filled with emblems and designs fitting of your faith, culture, and title.
Sure, they SAY it's a priority, but we have 1 expansion, and a second on the way. And yet no Coat of Arms CHOOSER. Forget a designer (that' would be good for some people, but since I can barely draw a straight line, it doesn't really help me. I just want a CoA chooser, so I can chose the Red Dragon on a White background. Or a blue dragon on a red background, rather than chosing various half one color, half the other boring shields. Occasionally, it's spiced up with a third color, or maybe dots. Every 10 or so, you might get some type of animal (or maybe a boat), but it would be an ugly one. By the time you get the right one, you're so bored clicking through ugly CoAs that you click throught the good one, and have to start the process all over again, or say, "Fuck it, I'm just going with this butt ugly CoA and go with that."
Arleast until you start exit the game, then if forgets. I could literally copy Norther European DNA, then I exit the game for some reason, reload and "can not paste from clip board."

• 1Haha
Reactions:
CK2 regularly producing coats of arms that were ugly and difficult to read because of them applying colour on colour (and having multiple shades of the same colour, so you could get "red" on "dark red") was not good.
That's not even allowed under the rules of Heraldry. It's color (like red) on Metal (like gold). NO COLOR ON COLOR OR METAL ON METAL!!!!

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's not even allowed under the rules of Heraldry. It's color (like red) on Metal (like gold). NO COLOR ON COLOR OR METAL ON METAL!!!!
It's not allowed in Heraldry, but I don't think the designer should limit the player to the rules of European Heraldry. There are Slavic Coat of Arms with Black/Sable on Red/Gueules and of course the CoA of Jerusalem which is Gold/Or on White/Argent.

Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions: