Faerûn - Forgotten Realms, Dungeons and Dragons mod - Open Beta [0.7.0 03/06/2023] on GitHub and Steam Workshop!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Silversweeeper Excellent feedback, as always! Regarding societies, I admit that my approach so far has been to make more societies (still have quite a few in my to do list), rather than fleshing them out in full detail with quests and random event chains. As you noted, those take time to make. We do have some ideas that will eventually be implemented as quests, and as you said, adapting some existing vanilla ck2 events would probably be quicker and more efficient, whenever possible.

I tested the current version a bit. Nice work.

I especially like the giant buildings. Having completely different series for all the giant kinds is a ton of work. Though maybe it would be better to do a kind of base building lineup for all the exotic cultures like elves, orcs, etc. before going really indepth with one culture. Having extra buildings that depend on the terrain and the local province culture is a great idea too that goes far beyond the base game.

Though I feel some buildings are overtly specialized. For example the goblin levies. Instead of having those hill giant specific and in the giant file it would make more sense to just put everything willing and able to enslave goblins into the potential block and then throw the entry into the generic faerun buildings file. That will save you work later.

The magic system is cool too. Though the approach with damage dealing spells has drawbacks. Using character scopes to get to all subunits in a unit requires the war status which makes it impossible to use in raiding. It also makes it impossible to use when no character is leading the flank because the block

Code:
any_current_enemy = {
    random_realm_character = {
        limit = {
            at_location = ROOT
            in_command = yes
            prisoner = no
        }
        troops = -0.05
    }
}

wont scope to anyone. You can use

Code:
combat = {
    enemy = {
        troops = -0.05
    }
}

instead. It only hits the opposing flank of the character from which it is executed. But better than nothing I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A couple of new bugs:

- I don't know whether the Diwali festival is a thing in the Forgotten Realms or not, but I'm pretty sure India isn't, so at the very least the localization appears to be wrong.

ck2_19.png

- Something is weird with the Monastic Feudal government, at least for Tabotans, since I become a standard Theocracy whenever I get a new title. I'm unsure if other kinds of government validation results in the same outcome.

ck2_20.png

Reactions:
A couple of new bugs:

- I don't know whether the Diwali festival is a thing in the Forgotten Realms or not, but I'm pretty sure India isn't, so at the very least the localization appears to be wrong.

View attachment 730680

- Something is weird with the Monastic Feudal government, at least for Tabotans, since I become a standard Theocracy whenever I get a new title. I'm unsure if other kinds of government validation results in the same outcome.

View attachment 730681
Thank you! Your reports are always helpful. What culture and religion is the ruler who's getting the Diwali option? (Diwali isn't a thing in the Realms, so that should either be something else or not be there.)

Also, are you using 0.4.0, or an experimental build?

Thanks,

nd

Thank you! Your reports are always helpful. What culture and religion is the ruler who's getting the Diwali option? (Diwali isn't a thing in the Realms, so that should either be something else or not be there.)

Also, are you using 0.4.0, or an experimental build?

Thanks,

nd

It's the same ruler as in the other screenshot, so Tabotan Chung Tao. Looking at the decision file, it appears to be available for all non-theocratic (is_feudal/_tribal/_nomadic/_republic = yes) Pantheist, Adama, Chung Tao, and Padhran characters.

On a side note: Looking up the character in the history files (65815, the starting ruler of Tabot), I noticed that k_tabot is supposed to be Feudal Elective, but I started with Gavelkind, so I suspect I was ineligible for Feudal Elective (if it helps, I started with a fully depowered council, so Full Council Authority would not have been in effect). I'm unsure if the issue is being ineligible, the title history being incorrect, or both.

I'm using 0.4.0, and it's a game started in that version.

Reactions:
Just a heads up that a new, possibly full, version will be coming tomorrow.

The problem preventing us from updating the Steam workshop page solved itself!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Version 0.4.1
It's here! Version 0.4.1 is out. The change list is under the cut, because it's a big one.

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2170659885
GitHub: https://github.com/ProjectFaerun/Faerun/releases/tag/0.4.1

Highlights: More class mechanics, a big rework and extension of history on the western half of the map, several new societies, better graphics, new story events, many adjustments to religion features

-Very basic fighter mechanics
-Twisted Rune society
-Improvements on the slowdown issue (still present, but there appear to be multiple unknown causes)
-Date picker ranges from 1357 to 1496
-Shoon Imperium decision
-Steward tech job replaced with Tribal job of converting county culture
-Nimbral and Lantan moved to new Shining Sea de jure empire
-Return of Netheril event
-Tweak to Steward councilor jobs
-Patricians no longer care about age
-Spells optimized
-Cormyrian 15th century history
-Outsiders get culled occasionally to avoid slowdowns
-Better loading screens
-Better flags
-Most orc titular duchy titles removed
-Special character added in some bookmarks to southern Anauroch
-Uthgardt religious mechanics
-Daemonfey story events improved
-Map improvements
-Mod optimization
-Changed how giant troops work because it was affecting the AI negatively.
-Small change to how the convert culture steward job works to make it more flexible.
-Partial history revamp in the Dragon Coast.
-History revision continues
-Bugfixes upon bugfixes
-No government should have 5 chaplain jobs now
-Some temporary folders were purged, download should be smaller
-Loviatar faithful get rewarded for being horrible to prisoners
-Two new cultures: Eraka and Aslanlar
-Night Masks society
-New Minimap
-More faith sympathy traits
-Placeholder icons for dragon race traits
-New flag for Ten-Towns
-Expanded Cult of the Dragon dracolich mission
-Minor history changes & expansions
-Goliath stillbirth fix
-Some vanilla localisations adapted
-Various characters have had their class traits lowered in level
-New alternate-gender variants for "hire noble"/"present debutante" decisions
-New Heralds of Faerûn society
-Nomad government has been reworked.
-Merged gendered hire steward and priest decisions.
-Prepared Invasions realanced.
-Various performance improvements.
-Characters can now have a maximum of two classes. Some historical ones might have more at game start.
-Long-lived races less fertile.
-New tactic for knight order members.
-New retinue for knight order members.
-Liches have phylacteries.
-Congenital traits rebalanced.
-Immortals gain class xp slower.
-Wizard spells reworked into a money-based ritual system.
-Klauth added near Luskan after a certain date.
-Marsh Drover culture renamed to Andt.
-Golden religion renamed to Gnim.
-Goblinish religion renamed to Ghukliak.
-Orcish religion renamed to Daraktan.
-Toteohuan religion renamed to Maztican.
-Technology added for some portions of the map, more to come.
-1372 DR bookmark improved.
-Trade routes rebalanced.
-Improved elven portraits.
-Black Road trade route added.
-New orc portraits.
-Wolf Warriors rebranded as Children of Uthgar.
-New bloodlines added.
-Better clothing options for many cultures.
-Some warlock mechanics added.
-Most combat spells reworked into battlefield tactics.
-Lamias now have their own portraits and race trait.
-Various cultural names for assorted provinces.
-Big Lich no longer dominates screen.
-Lake of Steam history rework.
-Less cultures will use merchant republic clothing.
-Border Kingdoms history rework.
-Lapaliiya history rework.
-Knights of the Golden Cup society added.
-New goblin and hobgoblin portraits.
-Gruumsh's Own society.
-Berserker trait nerfed.
-Sons of Maglubiyet society.
-Shadowmasters of Telflamm society.
-Retinues for devils, demons and treants.
-Shaar history rework. Grey Ghosts currently feudal due to a quirk that will be fixed in the future.
-Kuo-Toa culture and race trait.
-Dambrath history rework.
-Halruaa history rework.
-Luiren history rework.
-Various new misc retinues.
-Clerics and Druids use cash-based ritual system.
-Paladins and Rangers get a few minor rituals.
-Hag portrait improved.
-Durpar, Var, Estagund, Beastlands history rework.
-New Ulgarian culture.
-Ulgarth history rework.
-Utter East history rework.
-Tortured Lands history rework.
-Great Glacier and Sossal history rework.
-The Ride history rework.
-Expanded who can make religious sacrifices.
-Many bugfixes.

Many thanks as usual to the team, including Nendur, who has joined us to provide wonderful portrait expertise.

nd

• 6Like
Reactions:
I'm planning to try the new Nomad government when I next have time to play (might not be this weekend, but hopefully still soonish). Is there anything in particular I should be aware of when it comes to the mechanics, compared to vanilla Nomadic and Tribal, and is there anything in particular that I should(n't) try to do (I'll probably start as Yamun in 1360, if that matters)?

abyssal_sacrifice_decision and lolth_sacrifice_decision in faerun_tb_abyssal_decisions are improperly commented out, resulting in any_liege, hidden_tooltip and death appearing as targeted decisions for every character. This is in 0.4.1.

Reactions:
abyssal_sacrifice_decision and lolth_sacrifice_decision in faerun_tb_abyssal_decisions are improperly commented out, resulting in any_liege, hidden_tooltip and death appearing as targeted decisions for every character. This is in 0.4.1.
Thank you for your report, we'll fix this (and any other bug that is found in the meantime) through a hotfix, in a few days

Reactions:
I'm planning to try the new Nomad government when I next have time to play (might not be this weekend, but hopefully still soonish). Is there anything in particular I should be aware of when it comes to the mechanics, compared to vanilla Nomadic and Tribal, and is there anything in particular that I should(n't) try to do (I'll probably start as Yamun in 1360, if that matters)?
There are two types of nomads: regular horse nomads and monster horde types (gnolls, orcs, goblins etc) with different buildings and unit types.
The nomad stability toggle now enables a system that encourages having a few strong nomadic vassals or risk the horde fracturing.
Nomads have prepared invasion regardless of religion.
Nomad leaders can be duel and be dueled for leadership of their primary title.
That's the big ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Reactions:
Huh. How does converting to a different government work then? Because normally every tribe converts to a castle when switching to feudal (city for republic i guess), doesn't it?
Same way a regular tribe (new nomads are just a special type of tribal) converts to feudal/merchant/whatever.

Is it intentional that becoming Feudal/etc. is easier for Nomadic Tribes than regular Tribal rulers?

Unless I'm misreading something, Nomadic Tribes don't have the Tribal Organization laws and don't have to worry about anything similar when adopting Feudalism, meaning that if they build up their capital holding (which is unlikely to be more difficult for them on average than it is for the average Tribal ruler) and convert to a religion that's not an unreformed pagan religion -- say due to a HL-style mercenary (which seem to be an option for them) converting and then inheriting -- they are immediately eligible to change their government (with the AI most likely doing it very rapidly due to an ai_will_do of 1 times an ai_check_interval of 12).

Reactions:
A bunch of bugs and possible issues, mostly related to Nomadic Tribal (I'll be abbreviating that "NT" below):

- One of the starting NT realms became Feudal following a duel-related takeover. The new ruler didn't hold a castle when taking over, so that's not the reason.

ck2_21.png

- At least some of Yamun's starting vassals are Agnatic Nomadic Elective (and I suspect other NT vassals also might be affected) despite the top realm being Absolute Cognatic. Seems inconsistent.

ck2_22.png

- Shou Lung's starting Status (Tuigan invasion) ended... with a "Jurchen Khagan" being defeated. I'm pretty sure there aren't Jurchens in the Forgotten Realms, and even if there were it'd be inconsistent.

ck2_23.png

- A related suggestion: Maybe Wa/Kozakura/Koryo invasions could be added for Shou Lung? I noticed at least Kozakuran culture already exists in the files...

- Unsure if it's a bug, but the reduction to LI (and possibly other troops) due to the NT starting building doesn't remove all LI even before bonuses from buildings that can be constructed.

ck2_24.png

- Unsure if intentional or not (I've not played a vanilla nomad in a long time), but the "Rampaging Horde" modifier from pillaging a province doesn't disappear when the holdings have been destroyed, which might be a side-effect of a tribal holding being constructed when the last non-tribal holding is destroyed (it'd of course be an empty holding for a vanilla nomad).

ck2_25.png

- Not sure if it's intentional or not, but assembled HL-style merc companies contain a pretty large number of troops that aren't cavalry, which seems weird when the creator is an NT ruler and presumably thinks cavalry is the way to go (at least in the case of the Tuigans).

ck2_26.png

- The new Prepared Invasion start event's description sometimes gets too long. I suggest swapping to a narrative_event.

ck2_27.png

- Not sure if it's intentional or not, but non-NT rulers seem to be launching Prepared Invasions in a different fashion from vanilla (at least, the event is new).

ck2_28.png

- Not sure if it is intentional or not (the Androgynous trait makes things ambiguous depending on what that's supposed to be interpreted as), and possibly caused by vanilla if you've not touched the event, but I got an event giving me the option to become lovers with my homosexual wife.

ck2_29.png

- The Asmodeus society's "Sacrifice a Holy Person" mission reads a bit weirdly if you've adopted the Infernal religion. Yes, evil is not one big happy family, but sacrificing a servant of Asmodeus to please Asmodeus is perhaps not what he wants when you could sacrifice a holy person following another religion.

ck2_31.png

- I'm reasonably sure this ruler(s predecessor) was NT rather than regular Tribal, and I'm unsure what the realms further north looked like. Something seems messed up when it comes to determining who gets the new government.

ck2_32.png

- I held some Wargames, and the first one didn't give me any events other than "I'm sending out invitations". Subsequent ones worked as intended, so maybe there was some weird edge case happening the first time.

- The War horse event chain only results in two events: "I'm getting a horse; what shall I name it?" and "My horse died after X years". Vanilla has a bunch more stuff that can happen (granted, some of it is... maybe not well implemented), so maybe something has broken due to e.g. a check for "is_nomadic = yes" somewhere?

- A rather serious issue: Anyone that's currently a HL-style merc cannot be nominated as an heir under Nomadic Elective, with no warning about this when you send them. Since you can't recall someone until at least five years have passed and children can't be elected, you could get unlucky and lose your titles because of this (and the AI could easily repeatedly stupid itself into this situation since it is unable to learn).

- I've noticed I've got access to Wargames, the Nerge, and Great tribal festivals (as a Tuigan NT ruler). I think this might be a bit excessive, seeing as the standard tends to be one feast-style decision (I suppose the Wargames are more of a repeatable tournament, but still).

- While it's consistent with vanilla, I've noticed Prepared Invasions leapfrogging over several realms. It makes some sense for someone to go after a more distant realm if they e.g. have a naval path there, but if they have to march overland it's rather odd, and with the harsher exclave rules anyone successful will likely lose either their new lands or their old lands the next time exclaves are handled for their top realm.

- I summoned a weaponsmith and had the option to pick between a sword, a lance, an axe, and a mace. Vanilla nomads have bows as an option and lose out on something else (I think they lose maces), so maybe NT rulers should be treated like that since it'll result in greater artefact variety?

Reactions:
- A related suggestion: Maybe Wa/Kozakura/Koryo invasions could be added for Shou Lung? I noticed at least Kozakuran culture already exists in the files...
It won't be in the hotfixes for 0.4.1, but Wanese and Koryan cultures are on the cards for a near-future update, so an invasion could possibly be introduced after that.

Do you (or anyone else) have Japanese, Korean, or Indonesian-style portrait sets that we could use, please?

Thanks,

nd

Do you (or anyone else) have Japanese, Korean, or Indonesian-style portrait sets that we could use, please?

You can use our (Tianxia's) assets as long as you don't break any DLC locks (per LumberKing, none of the graphics included should be from a DLC; if that turns out to be untrue (I know a bunch of our old devs were sloppy with DLC content in other places...), please PM me so I can fix it ASAP) and credit Tianxia for anything you use (just put a line in the credits similar to what you've got for e.g. Geheimnisnacht). However, our stuff references some DLC files (e.g. the Japanese portraits reference assets found in the Mongol face pack) and will of course break without the relevant graphical DLCs (unless you change them to reference something else; sadly, we can't provide anything to help out there to my knowledge), so maybe it's not quite what you need.

On a related note, if we've got anything else (mechanics, etc.) you want to use in some fashion somewhere in the mod, feel free to ask. I can make the decision regarding whether various things that I've created for Tianxia can be shared (and considering I'm having a lot of fun with this mod, I'm probably going to feel like approving quite a lot...), and we'll probably not have conditions beyond "Don't break DLC locks and make sure you credit Tianxia".

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
You can use our (Tianxia's) assets as long as you don't break any DLC locks (per LumberKing, none of the graphics included should be from a DLC; if that turns out to be untrue (I know a bunch of our old devs were sloppy with DLC content in other places...), please PM me so I can fix it ASAP) and credit Tianxia for anything you use (just put a line in the credits similar to what you've got for e.g. Geheimnisnacht). However, our stuff references some DLC files (e.g. the Japanese portraits reference assets found in the Mongol face pack) and will of course break without the relevant graphical DLCs (unless you change them to reference something else; sadly, we can't provide anything to help out there to my knowledge), so maybe it's not quite what you need.

On a related note, if we've got anything else (mechanics, etc.) you want to use in some fashion somewhere in the mod, feel free to ask. I can make the decision regarding whether various things that I've created for Tianxia can be shared (and considering I'm having a lot of fun with this mod, I'm probably going to feel like approving quite a lot...), and we'll probably not have conditions beyond "Don't break DLC locks and make sure you credit Tianxia".
That's awesome and helpful - thank you!

nd