You know you're enjoying the new game you bought when ......

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Solar Blaze

Recruit
Jun 13, 2021
You can play 34 hours and have not even done the first mission.

I am taking a break for mmos and other online games and saw BATTLETECH - Mercenary Collection for $15 on sale so thought I would give it a try and it's amazing.

Playing vanilla with no mods or or any "adjustments " to the config. I actually feel like powerful Mercenary group. I am at the point where im in no real danger atm and can focus on have fun instead of " proper mech placement and optimal strategy" I know people who like hardcore difficulty won't understand that

I think more devs need to realize the Difficulty and "challenge" don't = "fun" for everyone. Too many games reward players for higher difficulties when really all they are doing is rewarding a player who likes a different play style (challenge) more than others who do not enjoy that and forcing those players to play something they don't enjoy to get the "better rewards"

I know it's probably going to get harder as I progress and will have to worry about "tactics and optimal mech placement" at some point but right now i'm having a blast and just wanted to say

Thank you to the devs for a very enjoyable 34 hours so far.:)

BattleTech 34 hours.png

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
Welcome.

It's a great game, indeed.

After you've played it some, there are quite a few amazing mods that will boost your immersion/fun level by an order of magnitude or more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have played almost 900 hours of Battletech and I still have fun with it every time I play.

The good thing about Battletech is it can be as difficult or as casual as you want. You can change settings to things like 5 or 8 parts salvage, CT destroys mech, etc... Or play it to where you build a strong lance for your missions. It's up to you.

I once played a Medium Mech only campaign, just because I wanted to see if I could. I also played where I started with one Cataphract and two pilots only and saw if I could survive long enough to build a full lance of mechs (modifying the config file to make it happen).

Lone Phoenix (Cataphract playthrough)...

The flexibility is there and you can play the game any way you want. It adds so much fun and flexibility.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I once played a Medium Mech only campaign, just because I wanted to see if I could. I also played where I started with one Cataphract and two pilots only and saw if I could survive long enough to build a full lance of mechs (modifying the config file to make it happen).
Yep, you can really do some interesting things by just a few json file edits.

Me, I started a campaign (before Career Mode was a thing) with four Locusts just to see if I could: A Plague Of Locusts. It wasn't as bad as you'd think :)

I've also started a career with a single pilot and a Thunderbolt, to see if I could build a company from scratch - it was touch and go, but it worked.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm currently playing Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries with latest DLC, but at 63 hours, the game is already getting repetitive and stale.

In Battletech, the vanilla game became a bit stale after 300 or hours, so I looked into the mods available, and settled on Battletech Extended: Commanders Edition, and it has provided over 200 hours of additional fun, and still going strong. The clan invasion is just nuts, and it's easy to see why the inner sphere got stomped initially.

My fave moment recently was a 5 skull mission where I could only bring heavies, as Op For would run if I brought anything bigger. Things didn't go well for House Kurita :)

Attachments

• 20210316175354_1.jpg
    20210316175354_1.jpg
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm currently playing Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries with latest DLC, but at 63 hours, the game is already getting repetitive and stale.

I'm still in the thick of MW5: Mercs and am enjoying it. I have the Heroes DLC and I think that helps. If MW5's mini stories were a bit more...'crafted' presentation wise like HBS's Flashpoints, I think that would help a bit more in getting the player invested in those. Still the custome hero missions help break up the monotony. I just did the little mini campaign in MW5 for Kurita where I obtained the nice Dragon variant with MASC and a bigger ballistic slot on the arm.

Reactions:
Yep, you can really do some interesting things by just a few json file edits.

Me, I started a campaign (before Career Mode was a thing) with four Locusts just to see if I could: A Plague Of Locusts. It wasn't as bad as you'd think :)

I've also started a career with a single pilot and a Thunderbolt, to see if I could build a company from scratch - it was touch and go, but it worked.

I remember that Locust run :).

Yeah, building a lance from one mech was Rough for me too. Even going up against smaller, lighter enemies, being the sole target means you can still receive a lot of damage. It's tricky for sure. It was a lot of fun when I tried it though... if not a little stressful :)

Hi ! and thanks to all that have commented.

Just wanted to update I'm up to 76 hours.... again that speaks volumes of the Devs a nd the game quality/playability when I STILL have not done the first mission LOL

I think now I'm at the point where I think I have managed to salvage and buy enough mechs so that I have decent "Starting Lance " now that I feel would be ok to begin the campaign with.

so the story begins ... Have fun everyone and thanks you again Devs.

BattleTech 76  hours.png

I think now I'm at the point where I think I have managed to salvage and buy enough mechs so that I have decent "Starting Lance " now that I feel would be ok to begin the campaign with.
That lance (Archer, 2xMarauder, Victor) is way, Way, WAY overkill as a "starting lance". It's arguably better than what you'd have at the end of the campaign.

To each their own, but I think you'll find most campaign missions a boring, no-challenge cake-walk with that lance.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Glad you are enjoying the game! I'm surprised you were even able to get mechs that heavy without starting the campaign missions. The starting area is pretty limited. Three top end heavies plus an assault will carry you through 90% of the game.

There might be a couple missions where they are actually a bit slow for some objectives. Some have timed objectives.

This inspired me to pull open my first campaign save again - yes, from release version - and get to finally "finishing" it. (That is, finishing the Heavy Metal Flashpoint Campaign.)

And then to consider another run at it, but only because I need to finish achievements. Well, some of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: