• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AyeJimmy

Private
76 Badges
Sep 14, 2017
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
I went to go and play EU4 today (Which worked fine yesterday, and every day since I installed it on this pc in april), so I opened it via Steam, and I got an error message saying "Steam Runtime Communication Error" whenever I opened the launcher (v 2021.6)
I searched the problem and did what was suggested by @AndrewT in this thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/steam-runtime-communication-error.1336905/
After the launcher was reinstalled, it was v 2020.5, and gave the error "Saving mod load order failed. Please verify the launcher has access to your Documents folder".
I tried uninstalling the launcher and reinstalling it again, but this time it gave me v 2020.11, and the error message was still there.

And of course, because all paradox games use the same launcher, I now can no longer use mods in any paradox game because of this.

I've had that damn error message twice now, and the only way i've ever been able to fix it is by factory resetting my PC, which is time consuming, as I have to make back ups, and reinstall a great many programs and games.

For the love of god, someone please tell me how to stop this from happening, and please tell me how to update the launcher. Is there a manual download link? Is this a way to force the launcher to check for updates?

Any and all help is welcome, but I'd appreciate it more if said help actually works.
Logs are available on demand, although saying which logs are needed and the directory they're in would help.

Last edited:
I can only disagree - the launcher will always need updates: to add features, fix bugs, and accomodate new and updated games.

If you still had the launcher as it was in 2019, I'm sure you'd be equally unhappy!

I can only disagree - the launcher will always need updates: to add features, fix bugs, and accomodate new and updated games.

If you still had the launcher as it was in 2019, I'm sure you'd be equally unhappy!
Fair enough for the latter 2, but not sure what new features a launcher needs - it's a launcher, it just needs to launch the game, configure mods, configure dlc, and possibly advertise. I much preferred the old launchers, which ck2 at least still uses, as they had everything I needed, and didn't have anywhere near the amount of errors I've had with the new one.

Apologies for earlier comments - was frustrated, as this isn't the first time the launcher just randomly decided not to work for me, and just got a bit fed up.

try using irony mod manager

its vastly superior in just about every way: its faster, more responsive, no useless advertising for things you already own, simplier UI is easier to navigate, no autoupdates that mess everything up every few weeks. And most importantly its actually stable and works consistently.

Just better overall. give it a try when the paradox launcher inevitably acts up again, you wont look back.

Mod playsets was a major one, in heavy demand by other users at least.

this is a great example, as its literally the only thing that added value to the new launcher. everything else about it was a mistake.

• 1Like
Reactions:
try using irony mod manager

its vastly superior in just about every way: its faster, more responsive, no useless advertising for things you already own, simplier UI is easier to navigate, no autoupdates that mess everything up every few weeks. And most importantly its actually stable and works consistently.

Just better overall. give it a try when the paradox launcher inevitably acts up again, you wont look back.

this is a great example, as its literally the only thing that added value to the new launcher. everything else about it was a mistake.
thank you, will give this a shot