• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - 8 June 2021 - New monuments chosen for 1.31.5

Good news everyone! Today we’ll be presenting the new monuments that shall be introduced in 1.31.5 (coming soon, for those who wonder).

But first, let me introduce myself. I’m Pavía, and I’ve been a forumite for more than 15 years before joining Paradox Tinto team, a couple months ago. Apart from being in the Forums, I’ve spent most of this time playing Paradox games for thousands of hours, since the first Europa Universalis. Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV.

That said, onto the monuments. First I’ll present to you the ones that were most voted among the community:

The first is El Escorial, the famous palace-monastery built at the orders of king Philip II in the outskirts of Madrid:

monastery_of_el_escorial.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
−0.01 Monthly autonomy change
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
−0.025 Monthly autonomy change
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
−0.05 Monthly autonomy change
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

The second one is the Holy City of Jerusalem. As it’s known, this city is a sacred place for Judaism, Christianism and Islam, and that religious crossroad is portrayed:

old_city_jerusalem.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:
+1% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+1% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+2% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+2% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+3% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary
+3% Missionary strength against Heretics

Finally, the last one most voted was Cerro Rico del Potosí, the richest silver mine in South America, and a place that once hosted the most populous city in the region.

cerro_pico_potosi.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+5% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+10% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+20% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

But, apart from that, the Tinto team also voted for three more internally:

The first is the Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site for Muslims worldwide, and the place were the Hajj pilgrimage, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is made.

kaaba.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
-5% War score cost vs other religions
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity
-10% War score cost vs other religions

Next one is the Great Mosque of Djenné, one of the worship places built during the times of the Mali Empire in a very unique adobe brick style.

djenne.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
+1% Missionary strength against Heathens
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+2% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+3% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary

Last, but not least, is the Imperial City of Hue, built by the Nguyen dynasty as a symbol for a unified Dai Viet.

imperial_city_hue.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly harmony increase
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.33 Yearly harmony increase
−10% State maintenance
−5% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly harmony increase
−20% State maintenance
−10% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy

Finally, we got a lot of feedback from the community, and we also think that it’s a good idea to replace one of the current monuments for other more interesting choice, and reworking it, as this was pretty requested:

That is the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon, as we think that it’s a symbol of the city since the Age of Discoveries.

belem_tower.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+15% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+25% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+50% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

About the modifiers, take into account that this is work in progress, so both modifiers and values may be reviewed and changed, depending on testing and feedback received.

We hope that you like the new monuments chosen by both the community and the team, and that you also enjoy the wonderful work made by our artists, while playing with them in 1.31.5. See you!

Last edited:
  • 171Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
Please add a monument like Genghis Khan's Mausoleum in Mongolia, because his golden family still has a lot of influence among the nomads, after all, if the whole steppe area didn't have a monument, it would be less playable for us

• 2Like
Reactions:
In that case, wouldn't it make sense for the +25% defensiveness from the event in non-leviathan to be included in the monument bonuses in Leviathan?

Because otherwise Leviathan would be essentially removing the defensiveness modifier of the Belem Tower, which was the whole point of the tower.

Unless the event has different effects that also include the defensiveness modifier?
While redesigning this monument, we already thought about the Defensiveness modifier, and even about something akin to Coastal Defence buildings modifiers. But we also wanted to keep the Manpower modifier, for historical and gameplay reasons, and coupled with that, we thought that the monument would be left a bit weak. Anyone, as we keep receiving feedback, this may be changed in the future, OFC.
Could the Mosque of Djenne give a religious unity benefit if occupied by a Pagan nation? Since there's a lot of them around there. Mali itself is mostly Pagan with only its capital being Sunni IRC. Or some other benefit? The one thing I don't like about monuments is that many of them don't do anything at all unless you are the right religion/culture. Some of them I think would have some if not lesser benefits. I admit it, Benin is my most played start. I like their tier 3 and tier 4 unit models :D.

I mean I get it, you don't want to encourage people to blob like crazy and get stacks of benefits for taking all the monuments but if they were improved and invested upon, their benefits could theoretically change to reflect the nature of the 'new' owners. So while the baseline benefits could be 'only if you meet x', upgrading them could be more universal but would still be best if you had the matching religion. It makes sense to me giving some degree of heathen tolerance or religious unity for improving a religious structure that does not match the nations religion, especially if they are humanist.
Hum, FTM this is an Islamic mosque, and was designed as that for requirements. Perhaps in the future we'll think about how requirements work more generally, as we've got two different POV's from players (it's funny to have all monuments unlocked for every country, but at the same time it could be too overpowered).
zG1ZQQ8.png

@Pavía I did not notice this post but I don't think having religious constriction for The Huế Imperial City is a good idea. Đại Việt starts off as a Mahayana rather than Confucian and only changes to Confucian after this event:

E3V8OnP.png

Granted, its MTTH is 60 months, but there is still a chance that it will never fire at all, correct? Further more, it will restrict the freedom of playstyle as some players may want to play as Buddhist instead of Confucian. Let not forget that the only Đại Việt achievement requires that you stay Mahayana instead of converting. Also, if you think about it, the Imperial city is just a palace & citadel. It is no different that The Grand Palace of Bangkok or The Versailles and don't really have that much religious connotation.

For China's Forbidden City, it is probably make sense for Confucian requirement since the monument is tied in with China's Mandate of Heaven gameplay. However, Dai Viet probably don't toy around with the mandate that much and thus it should not restrict the players to go another route.
We already tackled this issue, and it's going to be out in 1.31.5 with both Harmony and Karma Decay modifiers, so it'd work for a Confucian or a Mahayana Dai Viet. ;)
Will the 1.31.5 update and the new monuments be compatible with 1.31.4 save games?
No, as the new monuments won't be in 1.31.4 files, and we even replace one in the new patch (Pena Palace in 1.31.4, Belém Tower in 1.31.5).

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Good news everyone! Today we’ll be presenting the new monuments that shall be introduced in 1.31.5 (coming soon, for those who wonder).

But first, let me introduce myself. I’m Pavía, and I’ve been a forumite for more than 15 years before joining Paradox Tinto team, a couple months ago. Apart from being in the Forums, I’ve spent most of this time playing Paradox games for thousands of hours, since the first Europa Universalis. Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV.

That said, onto the monuments. First I’ll present to you the ones that were most voted among the community:

The first is El Escorial, the famous palace-monastery built at the orders of king Philip II in the outskirts of Madrid:

View attachment 729165

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

The second one is the Holy City of Jerusalem. As it’s known, this city is a sacred place for Judaism, Christianism and Islam, and that religious crossroad is portrayed:

View attachment 729166

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary

Finally, the last one most voted was Cerro Rico del Potosí, the richest silver mine in South America, and a place that once hosted the most populous city in the region.

View attachment 729167

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

The first is the Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site for Muslims worldwide, and the place were the Hajj pilgrimage, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is made.

View attachment 729168

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity

Next one is the Great Mosque of Djenné, one of the worship places built during the times of the Mali Empire in a very unique adobe brick style.

View attachment 729169

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+1 Missionary

Last, but not least, is the Imperial City of Hue, built by the Nguyen dynasty as a symbol for a unified Dai Viet.

View attachment 729170

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
−10% State maintenance
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
−20% State maintenance
+1 Yearly legitimacy

Finally, we got a lot of feedback from the community, and we also think that it’s a good idea to replace one of the current monuments for other more interesting choice, and reworking it, as this was pretty requested:

That is the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon, as we think that it’s a symbol of the city since the Age of Discoveries.

View attachment 729171

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

About the modifiers, take into account that this is work in progress, so both modifiers and values may be reviewed and changed, depending on testing and feedback received.

We hope that you like the new monuments chosen by both the community and the team, and that you also enjoy the wonderful work made by our artists, while playing with them in 1.31.5. See you!
Please fix a lag caused by the blue flag alert.
What are the requirements to get the bonunses for these monuments? For instance, do you have to have a certain culture or a religion etc for these to work?

So if I understand this correctly these new monuments are a nerf to Christian and Muslim religious playthroughs? Since there are less missionaries and it is now very costly to get a worse modifier than what was once free?

Hi, what about making the Topaki Saray (the Ottoman Palace) that could be great right ? In Constantinople of course when Ottomans take it.
And What about changing the Hagia Sophia monuments in Mosque, like propose an event that changes it (already exists ik) but like changing the bonus into muslim sunni bonus bcs patriarcal bonus is not usefull for ottomans.

Thank you for reading and thanks for your hard work !

Last edited:
Reactions:
While redesigning this monument, we already thought about the Defensiveness modifier, and even about something akin to Coastal Defence buildings modifiers. But we also wanted to keep the Manpower modifier, for historical and gameplay reasons, and coupled with that, we thought that the monument would be left a bit weak. Anyone, as we keep receiving feedback, this may be changed in the future, OFC.
Since we are discussing it, one option would be changing the Sailor modifier?
I think a Portugal player will already go for all of them Coastal areas and Islands.
Just my 0.2 Ducats.

Reactions:
Razing the monuments would be good. For example, If Mecca conquered by the Christians, they should able to raze Kaaba to get some permanent or temporary modifier. Especially if the conqueror is a crusader state.

• 4Like
Reactions:
We're going to do some changes on monuments upgrade and speeding up cost in 1.31.5, but we're already thinking on improving it in future patches.
We replaced the +3 produced goods Potosí province modifier for a +1 produced goods modifiers in each tier of the monument. So, the point is investing in the great mine exploitation will give you more money, as historically happened, instead of just taking and exploiting the province.
Is upgrading Potosí going to be cheaper than the current upgrade costs? Because with the current upgrade costs of 1000, 3500 and 7000, the higher tiers are not really worth it:
Assuming a rather favorable situation of 20 production development(=4 goods produced) in the two gold production provinces in the area (Potosí and Quillacas) and prosperity in the state, the incomes for each tier are: (ignoring the goods produced increase in the other two non-gold provinces, because that accounts for less than 0.1 ducats per month)
Tier​
goods produced​
goods produced modifiers​
Monthly income​
monthly income increase​
years to pay back the upgrade cost
(includes upgrade time)​
0​
4​
25 %​
16.6​
1​
5​
30 %​
21.6​
5​
26.6​
2​
6​
35 %​
27​
5.3​
74.6​
3​
7​
45 %​
33.8​
6.8​
125.3​

26 years to pay back the investment for tier 1 is quite good, but 74 years for tier 2 is not so good and 125 years for tier 3 is very bad. For comparison building a temple in a province with 3 tax development gives 0.1 ducats per month and pays for itself in 83 years. And that is something I almost never do, because there are usually much better investments in the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is upgrading Potosí going to be cheaper than the current upgrade costs? Because with the current upgrade costs of 1000, 3500 and 7000, the higher tiers are not really worth it:
Assuming a rather favorable situation of 20 production development(=4 goods produced) in the two gold production provinces in the area (Potosí and Quillacas) and prosperity in the state, the incomes for each tier are: (ignoring the goods produced increase in the other two non-gold provinces, because that accounts for less than 0.1 ducats per month)
Tier​
goods produced​
goods produced modifiers​
Monthly income​
monthly income increase​
years to pay back the upgrade cost
(includes upgrade time)​
0​
4​
25 %​
16.6​
1​
5​
30 %​
21.6​
5​
26.6​
2​
6​
35 %​
27​
5.3​
74.6​
3​
7​
45 %​
33.8​
6.8​
125.3​

26 years to pay back the investment for tier 1 is quite good, but 74 years for tier 2 is not so good and 125 years for tier 3 is very bad. For comparison building a temple in a province with 3 tax development gives 0.1 ducats per month and pays for itself in 83 years. And that is something I almost never do, because there are usually much better investments in the game.

It is usually advised to build any temples that will pay itself back in 100 years or
.10. So tier 3 is not worth it but tier 2 still is. I think tier 3 is not worth it for all but 5 monuments in the game and should be decreased.

Lol, cope more.
"...needn't be that high on the monument priority list"
"...suggestions for Korea in our 'long list'"

And obviously Korean monuments aren't going take precedence over German, Italian or other major European or Chinese monuments.

I don't think you quite comprehend the fact that there is no conflict in statements to 'cope' with here.

• 1Like
Reactions:

View attachment 729165

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

View attachment 729166

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary

View attachment 729167

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

View attachment 729168

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity

View attachment 729169

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+1 Missionary

View attachment 729170

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
−10% State maintenance
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
−20% State maintenance
+1 Yearly legitimacy

View attachment 729171

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

These are all great additions to the game and thank you for responding to fans, especially re: Pena Palace. As a software developer I know it's not easy to remove something you spent a lot of time and effort on but it wasn't right for the game and thank you for making the right choice.

• 2Like
Reactions:
We replaced the +3 produced goods Potosí province modifier for a +1 produced goods modifiers in each tier of the monument. So, the point is investing in the great mine exploitation will give you more money, as historically happened, instead of just taking and exploiting the province. As Potosí doesn't have any requirements, that can be done by Andean countries, but also by foreign conquerors.

From my personal POV, having 165K inhabitants in a place as Potosí in 1625 is pretty impressive; but the idea about its "monumentality" was also shared by other members of the team, and the people that voted it. Anyway, adding some effects about the mine depletion is an interesting suggestion, we'll think about how that fits the current monuments feature.

Another suggestion: whenever the gold depletes in the province, lock the highest available tier. So depletes once, max monument tier becomes 2, then 1, then 0.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, I didn't put them because the post would be too blobby IMHO, but they will be:

- No requirements: Potosí and Belém Tower.
- Culture requirements: El Escorial (Iberian group).
- Religious: Muslim (Kaaba and Djenné), Muslim, Christian or Jewish (Jerusalem), Confucian (Hue).

Does forming Rome (which converts your primary culture to Roman) mean your primary-culture monuments go inactive?

Reactions: