• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #215 - Gameplay themes & Balancing considerations

Hello everyone!

First I want to thank you for the overwhelming support that you’ve shown us with announcing the Custodians initiative. It’s been really fun and motivating to see so many positive responses, and for that we’re truly thankful. At the same time, I must admit that it is also a bit scary in the sense that we shouldn’t have the expectation that this will suddenly resolve any issues you might have with the game, or that we’ll be able to deliver large amounts of significant changes with every update. Let’s appreciate this opportunity and make the best of it :)

Species Pack Gameplay Themes
Last week we already talked about what the Lem Update (honoring the author Stanislaw Lem) would focus on, but I’d also like to go into more detail regarding some things.

We mentioned that we would be adding gameplay to the Humanoids Species Pack and the Plantoids Species Pack, and although I won’t talk about the exact details yet, I do want to talk a little about how we approached it, and the themes we chose.

Plantoids was a bit easier, because there are some obvious fantasies. Going around the themes of growth and plants we’re adding some new traits, civics and origin. We felt like it made sense to open up these gameplay additions to both Plantoid portraits as well as for Fungoids.

Humanoids was a bit trickier, because there are no direct fantasies that apply to them in general, so we instead chose to focus on fantasies that align with things like dwarves, elves, orcs or humans. The Civic we showcased last week was an example of how we made something inspired by a traditionally dwarven fantasy.

Let us know about any ideas or thoughts you have regarding those :)

We will be talking more about these in much greater detail later, but that may possibly be in August.

Game Balance
We’re going to take a look at reworking some of the major outstanding balance issues that we’re having.

One example that I want to talk about is the issue with Research Booming, where power players can essentially outpace other empires due to focusing a lot on research. What enables this is usually Districts that provide Researcher Jobs, which is relatively easy to gain access to early on through Origins such as Shattered Ring or Void Dwellers (the latter not being nearly as strong).

For Shattered Ring we are looking into changing the start from a pure “end-game” Ring World, to be more of an actual “Shattered Ring” that you need to repair before you gain access to the powerful Districts of the Ring World. Putting additional emphasis on the fantasy of restoring this ancient megastructure to its former glory can be a fun addition to the Origin itself. Although we haven’t decided exactly what we’re doing, changing the start to be a Shattered Ring that you can restore with the Mega-Engineering technology is a likely route.

Unity & Empire Sprawl
Beyond Lem, we are also going to take a look at Empire Sprawl and Unity. The design for Admin Capacity was never really something that I felt worked out, and we never finished the design that was intended for it. Continuing to use Admin Cap as a mechanic also feels a bit like a dead end due to multiple reasons (ranging from design to technical), so we’re instead going to look into another solution.

I have a design for doubling down on using Unity as the resource for internal management, removing Admin Cap entirely, and to make Empire Sprawl something that you can never mitigate anymore. More sprawling empires will always suffer harsher penalties from Empire Sprawl, and we’ll instead focus on how Unity can be used internally to mitigate some of those penalties. Examples could be Edicts that have a Unity Upkeep Cost, and perhaps reduce the Research Cost Penalty induced by Empire Sprawl. Angry Pops could potentially also have a Unity Upkeep Cost, to represent the drain on your society.

Note that these ideas are very much in their infancy and very prone to change. We will probably start talking a bit more about that once Lem has been released, but I wanted to share some thoughts with you so that we could gather some initial feedback.

------

That’s all for this week folks! We’re in the middle of reviewing our dev diary schedule, so we’re hoping to be back with 2 more dev diaries before we take a summer break. We’ll keep you in the loop as we go.

• 250Like
  • 62Love
Reactions:
Download a save converter for PDX games, then play through CK3 > EU4 > Vic2 > HOI4 > Stellaris
A 1948-2200 Paradox game when?

Reactions:
I dunno i think going over "caps" should be something like this.

Over Admin cap=more crime as goverments cant keep up with the population.

Over Fleet cap= less energy requirement but a a boost to military factions and a negative to pacifist factions

The higher your reasearch production the machinist facton gets a boost while spiritalist get a negative boost.

ETC ETC.

Just spitballing here.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Rather than being a "humanoids" thing, it'd be an interesting game setting overall, at least for a few games.

Maybe it sets one progenitor empire and gives *everybody* Lost colony?

Oh yeah, I don't imagine it's restricted to a particular portrait, just that it fits the humanoid theme if they're looking for an extra origin.

And that seems like a workable way to have it, though I'll be honest, I don't know how the game works under the hood as it were, so I suppose we'll see.

• 1Like
Reactions:
About the "Research Booming" issue, how about we use f(empire's total spent science) as the empire's Pop growth threshold?

This way we may be able to tame the Research Booming, as well as reducing the total Pop in late game. Meanwhile, this still makes sense: (1) the more advanced your science is, the longer it would take to train new organic Pops, or install softwares for new mechanical Pops, or sync new Drones; (2) the more advanced your science is, the more productivity you'll get from each individual Pop, so the total productivity may still grow.

Compared to the current total-empire-Pop-based solution, the downside of this is: if you lose Pops in late game, it would be harder to recover. Maybe this can be fixed by introduce advanced sciences or buildings that can help retain Pops.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is just an idea?

why not make Empire Sprawl a static threshold? If you are over X points suffer X penalty, if you are over Y points, suffer X+Y penalties?
then allow bureaucrats to simply reduce Empire Sprawl?

could even make it so small but efficient empires are possible by having the first 2 tiers of Empire sprawl be boosts to your empire?
so that being at under 75 ES, you get a 20% boost to everything and then like 100 ES is only a 10% boost, and 125 ES is a flat line?
^those are all arbitrary numbers, but just ideas

Is there any chance that the planet capacity will get tweaked? Because I'm not opposed to how things work, I just want them to take more factors into account. Like Available Housing. Or have Available housing provide a buff of some sort, like amenities/stability.

Because at best, you've inverted how the Reduce Housing modifiers work: having a higher need for housing means that your pop growth doesn't slow down nearly as much at the higher end of things, and since there's always ways of increasing housing there's no real downside to it.

At worst, you've done that and rendered one of the main numbers on the planet info HUD into something that actually confuses and misleads players. Because it's pretty easy to get enough modifers that you can only be using half of the available housing and still have reached pop capacity.

...and you've also nerfed Void Dweller into the ground, and makes micromanaging pops a necessity for them. I love role playing as rogue pirate void dwellers and hate micromanaging, so I've been especially dissatisfied with how things are.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure If it's been thought up, but I had an idea. Instead of outright combining Unity and Sprawl, I had an idea to combine Unity and Influence. Make factions more important by remove population from sprawl, and making them cost something like each pop consuming (1 unity x 1/faction happiness). Unhappy factions can double unity cost per pop in that faction instead of not giving influence. This is to make Governing ethics attraction something to really strive for. Meanwhile you still need to have bureaucrats to handle your territory.

Now, to get rid of influence, almost everything that previously costed influence, now costs unity. And like the traditions, you can have unity cost for colonizing/building megastructures based on how many structures/planets/pops you have. Wars can have claims cost based on how many planets/pops/total claims you have, making it slightly more difficult to expand at such a huge rate while keeping up with traditions until the end game.

If you wanted to keep influence in, just keep it a flat rate, and use it as a currency for timed edicts, building outposts, and galactic council nonsense. You can then make people decide if they want edicts for improving the empire, or to expand their territory. Lower influence income so that you can't have everything running nonstop.

Just to say, I'd like for unity to reflect how cohesive your empire is. I also feel that unity is about as much of a dump resource as influence is, and would like to combine them.

Reactions:
Humanoids was a bit trickier, because there are no direct fantasies that apply to them in general, so we instead chose to focus on fantasies that align with things like dwarves, elves, orcs or humans. The Civic we showcased last week was an example of how we made something inspired by a traditionally dwarven fantasy.

Let us know about any ideas or thoughts you have regarding those :)

This is less of a new idea and more of a tweak to what you already have.

1622707516974.png

The Masterful Crafters civic as shown in dev diary 214 is underwhelming largely because CGs are an upkeep resource, so in normal play the objective is to minimize how many you need, which in turn would minimize the number of Artificers. Making "good use" of the civic would therefore require players to play inefficiently so it's going to either have little effect or be counterproductive.

My suggestion for the civic is that it would instead give +2 Trade and +1 Engineering to both Artisans and Metallurgists, but both jobs would also have +2 Mineral upkeep. This would make the bonus apply more broadly, but it would also make the empire hungry for minerals, which reinforces the traditional dwarven fantasy and it would synergize well with Mining Guilds, another fit for the dwarven fantasy.

I've also wanted an origin that starts you with an immortal psychic ruler and an improved chance to get Psychic Theory for a while now and while I'm pretty sure there's a mod for that it would be nice to have it for my achievement runs too. This maybe isn't a traditional fantasy race thing, but it is a great fit for one specific SF setting in which humanoids feature prominently. And it would have great synergy with Imperial Cult. *wink wink nudge nudge*

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is less of a new idea and more of a tweak to what you already have.

1622707516974.png

The Masterful Crafters civic as shown in dev diary 214 is underwhelming largely because CGs are an upkeep resource, so in normal play the objective is to minimize how many you need, which in turn would minimize the number of Artificers. Making "good use" of the civic would therefore require players to play inefficiently so it's going to either have little effect or be counterproductive.

My suggestion for the civic is that it would instead give +2 Trade and +1 Engineering to both Artisans and Metallurgists, but both jobs would also have +2 Mineral upkeep. This would make the bonus apply more broadly, but it would also make the empire hungry for minerals, which reinforces the traditional dwarven fantasy and it would synergize well with Mining Guilds, another fit for the dwarven fantasy.

I've also wanted an origin that starts you with an immortal psychic ruler and an improved chance to get Psychic Theory for a while now and while I'm pretty sure there's a mod for that it would be nice to have it for my achievement runs too. This maybe isn't a traditional fantasy race thing, but it is a great fit for one specific SF setting in which humanoids feature prominently. And it would have great synergy with Imperial Cult. *wink wink nudge nudge*
I actually had an idea for a megacorp civic Artisanal Craftsmanship (What use is an object, if it is not beautiful? And what use is beauty, if it can’t be sold for maximum profit?) which would give +2 trade value to artisans and +1 amenity from city districts. So that's another potential direction to lean in for this civic/variations. If you did expand it to cover metallurgists as well I'd only make it +1 mineral upkeep though.

One thing about the civic I think makes it interesting is that most people who go for trade value tend to use either the Consumer benefits or Trade League trade policy, which give consumer goods. With this, you'd be more encouraged to have your entire CG production be from artisans, meaning more direct energy or unity from trade instead.

Something that you could really only do in MP RP games is also serve as the civilian industry base for other empires, having a massive surplus of CGs and exporting them to other empires who can then keep full alloy economies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
honestly, I prefer admin cap, but there should be more penalties for going over, like less governing ethics attraction.
Yes you and me both. I feel the current admin mechanics works just fine; its also another way to get rid of excess consumer goods. Makes sense you need more bureaucrats for the paper work a larger empire would require, rather than unity. No need to fix what isn't broken.

Reactions:
Forgive me if this has already been suggested in the preceding 16 pages, but if we're talking about having unity upkeep costs, there's gotta be something that happens when you hit zero, right? Like, if you run out of Food, your pops become really unhappy and your pop growth is throttled.

I think it'd be fitting if the penalty for running out of unity was an empire-scale coup – your empire changes ethics and government form to different ones (perhaps determined by which Factions are strongest in your empire?) and your ruler is replaced, just as if you had lost an ideology war to another empire. Then, your current unity is reset to a fixed value (maybe like a few thousand?), representing your people's refreshed hope in this new regime. If the unity deficit continues to stand, you might be subject to many revolutions in relatively short succession – just like in real life.

Reactions:
Forgive me if this has already been suggested in the preceding 16 pages, but if we're talking about having unity upkeep costs, there's gotta be something that happens when you hit zero, right? Like, if you run out of Food, your pops become really unhappy and your pop growth is throttled.

I think it'd be fitting if the penalty for running out of unity was an empire-scale coup – your empire changes ethics and government form to different ones (perhaps determined by which Factions are strongest in your empire?) and your ruler is replaced, just as if you had lost an ideology war to another empire. Then, your current unity is reset to a fixed value (maybe like a few thousand?), representing your people's refreshed hope in this new regime. If the unity deficit continues to stand, you might be subject to many revolutions in relatively short succession – just like in real life.

I wonder if it would work to change traditions from a one-time cost to a maintenance level.

Like, having 500 unity unlocks one tradition slot. When I hit 1,500 unity, I unlock a second. Etc. (Or whatever numbers work better, those are just an example.) But if later on I fall back below 1,500 unity I lose that second tradition slot.

That way you have a balancing act. The more you grow, the more powerful you are. But growing also eats into your ability to produce and maintain the high levels of unity you need for traditions and ascension perks. The same would go for unity ambitions. They can be a powerful boost, but use them too often and your empire might start to lose its sense of purpose and direction.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The thing about technology is that technology gets you everything. And while the costs do increase exponentially, production often increases at a faster exponential. So it turns into a snowball, and one that's harder to stop than a conquering snowball.
True. I would love to see benefits you could only achieve by going down the spiritualist path (kind of religion techs?) . I am thinking Holy War or Crusader boni for balancing out advanced weapons you gain from tech rushes. Maybe you could even choose the path/teachings of your religion to be peaceful/warlike for different benefits. Obviously your God(s) want you to succeed if you strengthen them with your prayers. I always felt like this is a missed opportunity.

With void/warp entities from other dimensions already being a thing, why not pray to these dudes for their blessings as one possible religion branch (hello, dark cthulhu-style void cult). The other branch could be medieval Christianity-style (Crusade, aggressive, I'm thinking Warhammer 40k here), another one a (Greek/Roman) pantheon style branch for mixed (peaceful) boni like agriculture, production, fertility buffs.

It doesn't necessarily mean that these gods need to exist in the game - except for the void beast you maniacs decided to pray to :D
After all it is a scifi, not a fantasy game. But if your pops believe in it, it could still have these placebo effects.

I respectfully think this could be something.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Would it be possible to make a subterranean trait or civic? I always loved the idea of vast underground empires that carve out their civilization from the earth. It is a much to RP as a dwarf, and I think it'd match up with Lithoids rather well too.
I actually made this as an origin during MODJAM2020. The origin can be found on the Steam Workshop under the name "Subterranean Origin".

• 2Like
Reactions: