• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Console Edition DD#30 - Mega Shipyard and the Juggernaut

Hello Stellaris: Console Edition Community!

Hope you enjoyed the Federations Feature Stream last Wednesday, if you missed it you can watch it here.

Today we’re here to talk about the Juggernaut and the very aptly named Mega shipyard, two new constructs included in the Federations Expansion.

Juggernaut

Stellaris has been in development for many years, and if there’s one thing we know for sure, it’s that big ships are cool, and bigger ships are even cooler. With this flawless logic in mind, we wanted to add something larger than a titan.

Enter: the Juggernaut. The Juggernaut is unlocked via a new technology, which has Citadels and Battleships as prerequisites. A starbase will also need to be a Citadel and have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be built. The Colossal Assembly Yard is now unlocked by both the Colossus project and the Juggernaut technology.

Stellaris_CE - federations_2021-05-11_11-25-24.png

The Juggernaut is as much a mobile shipyard as it is a massive warship. Although the Juggernaut works like a mobile starbase in some regards, it does not project borders or control ownership of systems. A Juggernaut instead serves as a forward base of operations during offensive campaigns, a place to repair and reinforce your ships. The Juggernaut does not build starbase buildings or modules, instead it will always count as having 2 shipyards, giving it the ability to build, repair, and upgrade ships.

jugshipyards.png

The Juggernaut can be designed via the ship designer, and features 2 X-Slot weapons, 6 hanger bays, and 5 M-Slot weapons, as well as 21 weapons/armor slots, and 4 auxiliary slots.

jugshipdesigner.png

The Juggernaut also gets access to five unique aura components, each offering different bonuses offering a wide range of tactics to be employed.

jugecm.png
jugmunitions.png
jugstrikecommand.png
jugsubspaceamplifier.png
jugtargetarray.png

Mega Shipyard

The Mega Shipyard is a new Megastructure included in Federations, because we know you want more ships, faster. For the glory of your empires!

megashipyard framework.png

The Mega shipyard is built in four stages:
  • Mega Shipyard Construction Site
  • Mega Shipyard Framework - 5 Shipyards, +33% Empire-wide Ship Build Speed
  • Mega Shipyard Core - 10 Shipyards, +66% Empire-wide Ship Build Speed
  • Mega Shipyard - 20 Shipyards, +100% Empire-wide Ship Build Speed
megashipyard core.png

Generally speaking, we’re trying to avoid designs that create incentives for players to engage in more micromanagement. We believe that the choice of where to build a ship (because it would cost less, or build faster) is an example of this type of micromanagement. This is why the empire wide ship build speed bonus was chosen over a bonus that only applies to ships built at the Mega Shipyard itself.

megashipyard.png

The Mega Shipyard is unlocked by a technology that requires Mega-Engineering and will be found in the Society tree, in the Military Theory category.

megashipyard glam.png

Be sure to keep an eye out next week, we will have one last Development Diary before Federations/Expansion Pass Four release, where we’ll be talking about new resolutions in the Galactic Community, and the new Origins included in the Federations Expansion! And be sure to watch our Weekly Console Edition Stream later today, The Grand Herald, where we will be playing Console Edition 2.8 and Federations! The Grand Herald stream starts 230 PM CEST (130 PM UK, 830 AM EDT 530 AM PDT) on twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

That’s all for this week, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:

Hope you enjoyed the Federations Feature Stream last Wednesday, if you missed it you can watch it here.

Today we’re here to talk about the Juggernaut and the very aptly named Mega shipyard, two new constructs included in the Federations Expansion.

Juggernaut

Stellaris has been in development for many years, and if there’s one thing we know for sure, it’s that big ships are cool, and bigger ships are even cooler. With this flawless logic in mind, we wanted to add something larger than a titan.

Enter: the Juggernaut. The Juggernaut is unlocked via technology, which has Citadels and Battleships as prerequisites. A starbase will also need to be a Citadel and have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be built. The Colossal Assembly Yard is now unlocked by both the Colossus and the Juggernaut technologies.

View attachment 730685

The Juggernaut is as much a mobile shipyard as it is a massive warship. Although the Juggernaut works like a mobile starbase in some regards, it does not project borders or control ownership of systems. A Juggernaut instead serves as a forward base of operations during offensive campaigns, a place to repair and reinforce your ships. The Juggernaut does not build starbase buildings or modules, instead it will always count as having 2 shipyards, giving it the ability to build, repair, and upgrade ships.

View attachment 730686

The Juggernaut can be designed via the ship designer, and features 2 X-Slot weapons, 6 hanger bays, and 5 M-Slot weapons, as well as 21 weapons/armor slots, and 4 auxiliary slots.

View attachment 730687

The Juggernaut also gets access to five unique aura components, each offering different bonuses offering a wide range of tactics to be employed.

View attachment 730688View attachment 730689View attachment 730690View attachment 730692View attachment 730693

Mega Shipyard

The Mega Shipyard is a new Megastructure included in Federations, because we know you want more ships, faster. For the glory of your empires!

View attachment 730694

View attachment 730695

Generally speaking, we’re trying to avoid designs that create incentives for players to engage in more micromanagement. We believe that the choice of where to build a ship (because it would cost less, or build faster) is an example of this type of micromanagement. This is why the empire wide ship build speed bonus was chosen over a bonus that only applies to ships built at the Mega Shipyard itself.

View attachment 730696

The Mega Shipyard is unlocked by a technology that requires Mega-Engineering and will be found in the Society tree, in the Military Theory category.

View attachment 730697

Be sure to keep an eye out next week, we will have one last Development Diary before Federations/Expansion Pass Four release, where we’ll be talking about new resolutions in the Galactic Community, and the new Origins included in the Federations Expansion! And be sure to watch our Weekly Console Edition Stream later today, The Grand Herald, where we will be playing Console Edition 2.8 and Federations! The Grand Herald stream starts 230 PM CEST (130 PM UK, 830 AM EDT 530 AM PDT) on twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

nice, I am excited for the next DD and federations itself

Juggernaut

Enter: the Juggernaut. The Juggernaut is unlocked via technology, which has Citadels and Battleships as prerequisites. A starbase will also need to be a Citadel and have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be built. The Colossal Assembly Yard is now unlocked by both the Colossus and the Juggernaut technologies.

View attachment 730685

View attachment 730686

View attachment 730687

View attachment 730688View attachment 730689View attachment 730690View attachment 730692View attachment 730693

Mega Shipyard

View attachment 730694

View attachment 730695

View attachment 730696

View attachment 730697

Does this mean that we need the Colossus Ascension perk to unlock Juggernaut?

Does this mean that we need the Colossus Ascension perk to unlock Juggernaut?

No, the Colossal Assembly Yard is unlocked by the Colossus tech and the Juggernaut tech now. :D

You do not need anything Colossus. Read the posts again, they were rather clear.
The post does not answer the question, read the question again. The Colossus Ascension Perk unlocks the Colossus Project, which to my understanding is what unlocks the Colossus technology (you need Titan tech to unlock the perk, not Colossus tech, hence the confusion) which is what unlocks the Colossus Assembly Yard

The post does not answer the question, read the question again. The Colossus Ascension Perk unlocks the Colossus Project, which to my understanding is what unlocks the Colossus technology (you need Titan tech to unlock the perk, not Colossus tech, hence the confusion) which is what unlocks the Colossus Assembly Yard
Hmm, ok. I might be making a fool of myself but I'm willing to take the risk.

Here's what's said about Juggernaut prerequisites:

The Juggernaut is unlocked via technology, which has Citadels and Battleships as prerequisites. A starbase will also need to be a Citadel and have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be built. The Colossal Assembly Yard is now unlocked by both the Colossus and the Juggernaut technologies

Which I interpret as the following sequence:
Battleship tech
+ Citadel tech
=> Juggernaut tech

+ Starbase upgraded to Citadel
+ Build Colossal Assembly Yard on that starbase
=> Can build Juggernaut

So, no, you don't need the ascension perk. Unless you also want to build a Colossus of course.

Hopefully I got this right.

Hmm, ok. I might be making a fool of myself but I'm willing to take the risk.

Here's what's said about Juggernaut prerequisites:

The Juggernaut is unlocked via technology, which has Citadels and Battleships as prerequisites. A starbase will also need to be a Citadel and have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be built. The Colossal Assembly Yard is now unlocked by both the Colossus and the Juggernaut technologies

Which I interpret as the following sequence:
Battleship tech
+ Citadel tech
=> Juggernaut tech

+ Starbase upgraded to Citadel
+ Build Colossal Assembly Yard on that starbase
=> Can build Juggernaut

So, no, you don't need the ascension perk. Unless you also want to build a Colossus of course.

Hopefully I got this right.
Mostly right (I would imagine), but you skipped the part where you unlock the Colossus shipyard, that is stated to require the Colossus tech, which -if I'm not mistaken- requires the Colossus Project/Ascencion perk.

I should try and be as clear as possible.

I understand that you can *unlock* the Juggernaut via the Battleship/Citadel technologies, but to *build* the Juggernaut you require the Colossus Shipyard, which I understand to require the Ascension perk.

Mostly right (I would imagine), but you skipped the part where you unlock the Colossus shipyard, that is stated to require the Colossus tech, which -if I'm not mistaken- requires the Colossus Project/Ascencion perk.

I should try and be as clear as possible.

I understand that you can *unlock* the Juggernaut via the Battleship/Citadel technologies, but to *build* the Juggernaut you require the Colossus Shipyard, which I understand to require the Ascension perk.

The new juggernaut technology unlocks the juggernaut hull type and the colossal assembly yard. Perhaps that wasn't as clear in the dev diary as I first thought.

Edit: I've gone back and added some slight clarifications, hope it is clearer now!

The new juggernaut technology unlocks the juggernaut hull type and the colossal assembly yard. Perhaps that wasn't as clear in the dev diary as I first thought.

Edit: I've gone back and added some slight clarifications, hope it is clearer now!
Ah, thanks. I take it the Colossus perk is still a requirement for the Colossus and hasn't been removed?