Dynastic succession question: why will my house succeed to the throne of my rival?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HydroAC

Captain
54 Badges
Feb 28, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
I'm playing in the 1356 mod as Byzantium, which is a lot of fun. I noticed that my rival Swabia (HRE Emperor) has no heir and is 53 years old. I checked on succession and was surprised that noble of my House Skleroi of the TRUE Roman Emperor (Byzantium) will succeed to the throne upon the HRE's Emperor's death.

Obviously since we are bitter rivals we have no RM.

The first thing I checked was to see if one of Swabia's 4 RMs had my House Skleroi on their throne. Nope.

I checked back after 6 months to see if there is a glitch and my dynasty will still spread to Swabia upon the HRE's Emperor's death.

Any idea of what is going on here? I thought that dynasty spread when there is no heir occurs through RM or maybe events.

Is one of those countries currently in a consort regency with the consort being of your dynasty?
Or, is one of those countries heirless with a RM with you such that they, on death, will get your dynasty? I think that sort of chain-RM has happened in my (vanilla+dlc) games, or at least said that it was going to happen, when multiple countries are heirless.

Kind of. None of the HRE Swabia 4 RMs is in a regency with my dynasty.

But Jerusalem has the HRE Emperor's dynasty (von Staufen) but is in a regency consort that is my dynasty (Skleroi). Byzantium has a RM with Jerusalem, obviously, but there is no RM with Swabia.

Or, is one of those countries heirless with a RM with you such that they, on death, will get your dynasty? I think that sort of chain-RM has happened in my (vanilla+dlc) games, or at least said that it was going to happen, when multiple countries are heirless.
I don't think so. The 4 RMs with Swabia have no link to my dynasty, and none of these RMs no heirs.

Perhaps the 'chain-RM' is happening with Jerusalem, which has the same Swabian dynasty but is in a regency with my dynasty?

New information: Swabia has a new emperor that is 23 and is von Staufan (same as before), and it still shows that if this emperor dies that my dynasty succeeds to the Swabian throne. So maybe this is a bug.

I don't think so. The 4 RMs with Swabia have no link to my dynasty, and none of these RMs no heirs.

Perhaps the 'chain-RM' is happening with Jerusalem, which has the same Swabian dynasty but is in a regency with my dynasty?

New information: Swabia has a new emperor that is 23 and is von Staufan (same as before), and it still shows that if this emperor dies that my dynasty succeeds to the Swabian throne. So maybe this is a bug.
So I've definitely seen it say a country is going to get X dynasty when the country it's married to is in a regency with dynasty X as regent and dynasty Y as heir, but I don't know which one it actually gives. I think it would get dynasty Y if the ruler actually died then, which is probably what happened to you. (Is Jerusalem's heir, and ruler in general, von Staufan?)

there is ui bug where any rm partner of aforemnetioned hre emperor will seem to spread dynasty from consort regent, but it won't.

if jerusalem is bigger then all rm partners of hre emperor, he will spread dynasty due to being largest dynasty member.

if dynasty members are bigger then RM partner of heirless nation, then their dynasty can't spread until they grow bigger then jerusalem. this is why you can't spread dynasty into naples or aragon unless you are bigger then castille (they all got trastemara)

• 1Like
Reactions:
there is ui bug where any rm partner of aforemnetioned hre emperor will seem to spread dynasty from consort regent, but it won't.

if jerusalem is bigger then all rm partners of hre emperor, he will spread dynasty due to being largest dynasty member.

if dynasty members are bigger then RM partner of heirless nation, then their dynasty can't spread until they grow bigger then jerusalem. this is why you can't spread dynasty into naples or aragon unless you are bigger then castille (they all got trastemara)
thanks for all the helpful explanations!

As soon as the Jerusalem regency ended Swabia reverted to House von Stauben for the dynasty succession. Then a von Stauben got an heir, so the issue resolved itself.

@HydroAC Atwix has the most in-depth guide on Personal Unions if you are interested in seeing how they work under the hood.

Reactions: