• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks like I will have a two-day streak this time,
I have another one.

For some reason my event using the days trigger doesn't want to work.
I wrote it down this way, thinking it was fine:

Code:
event = {
    id = 254024
    random = no
    country = IND

trigger = {
        event = { id = 254022 days = 360 }
    }

name = "EVT_254024_NAME"
    desc = "EVT_254024_DESC"
    style = 2
    picture = "indian_officer"

action = {
        name = "ACTION_NAME_GREAT"
        command = { type = sleepteam which = 250032 when = 1 }
        command = { type = sleepteam which = 250031 when = 1 }
        command = { type = waketeam which = 250033 when = 1 }
        command = { type = waketeam which = 250030 when = 1 }
        command = { type = waketeam which = 250029 when = 1 }
        command = { type = waketeam which = 250034 when = 1 }
    }
}

But after 360 days, it does not fire. I made sure event 254022 had the save_date line on it:

Code:
event = {
    id = 254022
    random = no
    country = IND
    save_date = yes

# Triggered by ENG 254021

name = "EVT_254022_NAME"
    desc = "EVT_254022_DESC"
    style = 2
    picture = "indian_officer"

action = {
        name = "ACTION_NAME_PERFECT"
        command = { type = dissent value = -2 }
        command = { type = money value = -150 }
        command = { type = relation which = ENG value = 5 }
        command = { type = sleepevent which = 254025 }
    }
}

Usuallly I'm using the command = { type = event which = XXXX where = TAG when = XX } line but with this one I figured since the wait was a year long I should use the trigger in the event... Was it a good idea? Performance-wise is there a better one between the two?

Last edited:
For some reason my event using the days trigger doesn't want to work.
I wrote it down this way, thinking it was fine:

But after 360 days, it does not fire. I made sure event 254022 had the save_date line on it:
That's because the first event is missing date+offset+deathdate, so it's never checking when the trigger becomes true.

Usuallly I'm using the command = { type = event which = XXXX where = TAG when = XX } line but with this one I figured since the wait was a year long I should use the trigger in the event... Was it a good idea? Performance-wise is there a better one between the two?
Performance-wise is better to use command = { type = event which = XXXX where = TAG when = XX } since in this case the event is scheduled and the trigger is checked only when at the scheduled date (and that's why in this case it is doesn't have date+offset+deathdate).
Moreover, the trigger event = { id = 254022 days = 360 } means "at least 360 days passed", so if you want it to fire after exactly 360 days that mean that offset must be 1 so that is checked every day, but offset = 1 (and low values of offset in general) is a bad idea for the performance, since it checks the event every days until it fires.

Reactions:
Performance-wise is better to use command = { type = event which = XXXX where = TAG when = XX } since in this case the event is scheduled and the trigger is checked only when at the scheduled date (and that's why in this case it is doesn't have date+offset+deathdate).
Moreover, the trigger event = { id = 254022 days = 360 } means "at least 360 days passed", so if you want it to fire after exactly 360 days that mean that offset must be 1 so that is checked every day, but offset = 1 (and low values of offset in general) is a bad idea for the performance, since it checks the event every days until it fires.
Alright, got it. Its been a long time since I have done long and paths-heavy event chains and I have found myself to be quite rusty. I'm definitely writing this down!
Thank you again

Trying not to be rude here, but i though it was pretty obvious that I at least knew what folder to look in. That's not the issue.
Heh heh - Quite.
I think what he meant to say was "If you check line 17 of 'Infantry.txt' in the divisions folder, you will see the command to specify the number of allowed brigades."

What is the command for "either or" when modding the Tech Tree? For example, I want one of two techs in the WW1 land doctrine tree (CWTT) to be the prerequisite for a future tech but not both. The reason being is because when one of those techs is researched, it deactivates the other tech. I tried to include both Tech IDs as prerequisites but it crashes the game and I'm guessing putting an "or" in there won't work either?

What is the command for "either or" when modding the Tech Tree? For example, I want one of two techs in the WW1 land doctrine tree (CWTT) to be the prerequisite for a future tech but not both. The reason being is because when one of those techs is researched, it deactivates the other tech. I tried to include both Tech IDs as prerequisites but it crashes the game and I'm guessing putting an "or" in there won't work either?
an OR_required is what you would want to use as it means you have to research one or the other.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Last edited:
Does DH implement hidden sanctions for annexing Crimea?
Or on a more serious note: how the heck does the trade effectiveness work? What causes it to drop to zero in particular?

I have the following problem:
Given a certain set of circumstances, the Volunteer Army (UTC) gets an option to peacefully annex its allies (Don, Kuban, and Crimea), and form a single country called South Russia. The name and flag changes in the process but the UTC tag is retained. However, for some reason, after the annexation, trade with the outside world gets completely cut off. Trade effectiveness with almost every single country drops to zero, the only trade that appears to still be allowed is the one with direct neighbors such as Georgia and North Caucasus, and even that one is dropped to 50% for some reason.

I've tried to play around with various alternatives to see what might be causing this bizarre behavior, but I got even more questions than answers as a result. For example, it turned out if I only annex Don and Kuban but leave Crimea independent, then trade works pretty well! The other way around doesn't work, if I annex Crimea but leave Don and Kuban independent, trade is still cut off. It seems as if it is the annexation of Crimea specifically that triggers the worldwide embargo. Now while it is understandable that the Entente may be a little unhappy about the consolidation of anti-Bolshevik forces under one flag, this is obviously not what should be happening lol. Any ideas on what is going on here?

Here are some screenshots.
Before annexation:
1627950171248.png

Same thing but in diplomatic mode so it's easy to see who is enemy and who isn't.
1627950206167.png

Let's try to unite "South Russia":
1627950318856.png

Wait, what just happened?
1627950365274.png

Ok, let's try it differently, let's leave Crimea independent this time:
1627950394604.png

Whoa, trade actually works? How on earth?
1627950416602.png

Last edited:
Still can't really figure out the logic behind the trade effectiveness system but here's another couple of interesting facts:

1. Trade resumes if the control of Istanbul is passed from UK to either UTC or a nation allied to UTC. Not sure why having control over istanbul is vital to having trade through the Bosphorus, and if it is so, why is this not as issue when Crimea is independent? In both scenarios England owns Istanbul and I'm at peace with England, so why is it only causing me issues in one of these situations and not the other?

2. Trade resumes if UK, France, or another country allied to UK owns a shoreline province in the region that is also adjacent to the territory controlled by UTC. So, as a workaround, I'm giving France temporary control over Sukhumi which happens to both be a shoreline province and bordering UTC territory, this seems to temporarily solve the trade restriction issue, but it is also really dumb.

3. Trade resumes if UTC makes peace with SOV and its allies. As soon as it is back at war with SOV... Worldwide embargo!

Last edited:
Hello, I wanted to ask something about new countries and tech teams.
I'm currently playing a game as Korea for my AAR, I'm planning on adding some new countries using the numerous tags available but I wanted to know, for example...

I create, uhm, I don't know... Sino-Korean Empire using tag UA0, I add that into the respective revolt.txt and country.csv, then, when I want to add them tech teams (in an existing game) where should I place them? I guess I must create their own "tech_UA0" file or something like that but, just by doing that they are added into my save too? Or this is something I have to directly change in the save?

I know that adding new tech teams for a currently "existing" country in a save must be done through the save itself, but what about the nations that do not "exist" by the save point? Thanks! I hope I was clear enough. :)

I'm currently playing a game as Korea for my AAR, I'm planning on adding some new countries using the numerous tags available but I wanted to know, for example...

I create, uhm, I don't know... Sino-Korean Empire using tag UA0, I add that into the respective revolt.txt and country.csv, then, when I want to add them tech teams (in an existing game) where should I place them? I guess I must create their own "tech_UA0" file or something like that but, just by doing that they are added into my save too? Or this is something I have to directly change in the save?

I know that adding new tech teams for a currently "existing" country in a save must be done through the save itself, but what about the nations that do not "exist" by the save point? Thanks! I hope I was clear enough. :

I know that adding new tech teams for a currently "existing" country in a save must be done through the save itself, but what about the nations that do not "exist" by the save point? Thanks! I hope I was clear enough. :)

1. Dont use an running game
2. You have to add the teams in the save file

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks, maybe I will try to make them independent and them add the teams on the save, my billion saves will work to try this I guess. :p
Thanks again! :)

I know that adding new tech teams for a currently "existing" country in a save must be done through the save itself, but what about the nations that do not "exist" by the save point? Thanks! I hope I was clear enough.
I was able to add new tech teams, leaders, and ministers for non-existing countries without modifying the save itself. From what I can tell, the game will read these files only at the time when the country is created, at which point they will be moved to the next save file. So as long as you have a properly written tech team file and this file name is referenced within db\teams.txt for your mod, you should be fine. :)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I was able to add new tech teams, leaders, and ministers for non-existing countries without modifying the save itself. From what I can tell, the game will read these files only at the time when the country is created, at which point they will be moved to the next save file. So as long as you have a properly written tech team file and this file name is referenced within db\teams.txt for your mod, you should be fine. :)
This will be so useful, thanks! :)
Now I need to check the files to get an idea of which ID's are already used haha, thanks again ^^

I've been scouring the gfx folders and I seem unable to figure out where the brigade model symbols. Any help please.
Perhaps what you are looking for can be found within the following two files:
  • ..\gfx\interface\auxiliary.bmp
  • ..\gfx\interface\auxiliarybig.bmp
Admittedly these two files are tricky ones to find considering one is likely to be looking for the word "brigade" and not "auxiliary" when they're browsing the files in the relevant gfx folders.

In case anyone else comes across this post, it's worth taking note of the above two files, and the following item here:
  • ..\gfx\map\hoi_counter_strip.bmp
The reason why it's worth taking note of these files, is because any attempt to modify a unit or a brigade without an associated modification of the relevant counter strip file may cause annoyances and/or display issues. (Of course, this is not taking into consideration the relevant config and db files that also need to be edited when modifying units.)

For instance, see the following post and notice the display error with the unit card (counter):

As noted in a follow-up post in the same thread, the display issue reported is caused when a unit is added to the technology tree, without modifying the "hoi_counter_strip.bmp" file.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have a quick general question: Darkest Hour is somewhat - or essentially - very determined in "what does the ai next." Compared to...say...Victoria II, where crazy stuff happens much more often.

I wondered myself: To make not every playthrough "the same" for the AI...could it be possible to mimic the Hoi4-FocusTree-System with a deciscion chain and "random chance?" - so that one game Germany goes for the Fuhrer like in history and the next time it goes for the fuhrer but focus on naval and Sealion instead of Barbarossa - or goes full Kaiser again?