• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #3 - Buildings

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello again everyone! It’s Thursday again, and that means that it’s time to talk about Buildings. Buildings are a core mechanic of Victoria 3, as it is where the Pops work to produce resources such as Goods. Buildings represent a wide range of industries, businesses and government functions, from humble subsistence farms to complex motor industries and sprawling financial districts. In this dev diary, we’re going to broadly cover the main types of buildings and their function in Victoria 3.

To talk about buildings though, I first have to mention states! States are a concept that should be generally familiar to anyone who’s played some of our other games such as Victoria II or Hearts of Iron IV - a geographic unit of varying size in which much of Victoria 3’s gameplay takes place. States are where Pops live and (more importantly for our subject matter) where Buildings are located and built.

The State of Götaland in Sweden
dd3_1.png

We will return to states more in later dev diaries, but for now let’s keep talking about Buildings!

Before we start on Buildings, something that’s important to note is that Buildings are just places where Pops can work and generally do not represent a single building - a single level of Government Administration, for example, represents the necessary buildings and infrastructure to support a certain number of Bureaucrats. Buildings always need qualified pops to work in them to yield any benefit, and an empty building is just that - empty and completely useless. This holds true even for buildings like Railroads and Ports that did not need Pops to work in them in Victoria 2.

Most buildings are directly constructed, but some (like the Subsistence Buildings below) will appear automatically based on certain conditions. When Buildings are constructed, the construction uses Pop labor and goods, and the costs involved will be subject to market forces.

But onto the different building types! First out, we have Subsistence Buildings. These are a special type of highly inefficient Buildings that cannot manually be built or destroyed, but rather will appear anywhere in the world where there is Arable Land that isn’t being used for another type of building. The vast majority of the world’s population starts the game ‘working’ in subsistence buildings as Peasants, and much of the game’s industrialization process is about finding more productive employment for your Peasants.

Peasants eke out a meager living in these Subsistence Farms, contributing little to GDP and taxes per capita
dd3_2.png

Another special type of building is Urban Centers. Like Subsistence Buildings, these are automatically created rather than built, with the level of Urban Center in a State being tied to the amount of Urbanization generated by its other buildings. Urban Centers primarily employ Shopkeepers and provide a number of important local functions that we will get into at a later point.

The Urban Center is where you’ll find most of your middle-class Shopkeepers
dd3_3.png

Next up we have Government Buildings. These are buildings that are fully funded by the state (ie, you!) and provide crucial civil services required for the smooth running of a Victorian nation. Examples include Government Administrations where Bureaucrats produce Bureaucracy for the administration of incorporated states and funding of Institutions, and Universities where Academics produce Innovation for technological progression.

Bureaucrats work in Government Administrations to provide Bureaucracy - the lifeblood of the government
dd3_4.png

The counterpart to Government Buildings is Private Industries. The vast majority of Buildings in Victoria 3 fall under this category, which includes a broad range of industries such as (non-subsistence!) farms, plantations, mines and factories. Unlike Government Buildings, Private Industries are not owned by the state but rather by Pops such as Capitalists and Aristocrats, who reap the profits they bring in and pay wages to the other Pops working there (usually at least - under certain economic systems the ownership of buildings may be radically different!).

Many of these buildings are limited by locally available resources such as Arable Land for agriculture and simply how much iron is available in the state for Iron Mines. Urban Buildings such as Factories however, are only limited by how many people you can cram into the state, simulating the more densely populated nature of cities. In short, there is no system of building ‘slots’ or anything like that, as we want limitations on buildings to function in a sensible and realistic way.

Several different types of Private Industries are shown below
dd3_5.png

Finally there are Development Buildings. These are often (but not always!) government buildings that distinguish themselves by providing vital state-level functions. A couple examples are Barracks that recruit and train soldiers from the local population and Railways that provide the Infrastructure other buildings need to bring their goods to the Market.

From left to right: Barracks, Port, Naval Bases and Railway
dd3_6.png

To finish up this dev diary I just want to mention that building up your country is meant to be more of a hands-on experience in Victoria 3, as this is absolutely core to the society-building aspect of the game and forms a major part of the game’s core loop. This naturally also means that we need to give the player the necessary tools to manage their buildings in a large empire, which may involve some form of autonomous building construction, though we haven’t yet nailed down exactly what form that would take (and whether it will involve decision making on the part of the investor class). Ultimately though, we want the player, not the AI to be the one primarily in charge of the development of their own country.

Well, there you have it. There is of course a lot in here (such as Production Methods) that will receive further explanation in the many more dev diaries we have planned, so be sure to tune in next week as I talk about Goods. See you then!

• 458Like
  • 204Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
3 Questions: 1. how will ownership of factories be decided when it is the player who builds them (and does the payer decide the goods produced there?), 2. while I know you said it was not yet clear wether or not pops will be involved I would quite like to hear wether or not you think the following might be a good idea: zoning the building slots for specific industries, aka instead of pops building whatever as factories the player can decide that the capitalists build wood based industries in these slots or iron/coal industries like weapons manufacturing etc. I think it would be a nice compromise with player agency but I would like to know if you guys have already considered something like that, 3. how will be the goods produced in player factories decided will the player decide or the AI (aka are there factories which can build multiple kinds of goods and if yes who and how is decided what is build).

Ps. Wonderful diary can't wait to know more!

"We want exploration to be a core mechanic in our upcoming Stellaris game, so it will be 100% manual" they said.
First thing community requested was automatic exploration.

Don't get me wrong, building your nation yourself is the most interesting part of the game for me. That said, some sort of automatization is necessary when you have a sprawling empire.
Maybe it should work a bit like Crusader Kings where you can use subordinates like dukes and counts to manage one of your regions.

What I mean is that micromanaging is fun when you are playing a small country, but if you are playing a huge country, the player should be able to delegate to a local governor. And local governors could have a "loyalty" thing like in Crusader Kings.

For example, someone playing as the USA should be able to delegate Building construction and such to a State governor.

I think is a good of way of fiting automatization into the game mechanics.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So a single RGO per province as a concept is dead? That's wonderful, seems way more flexible in a realistic manner. I notice though that I can only see three types of resource buildings based on the icons - fishing docks, lumber mills and iron mines I think - is that because those are the only thing available in that province? Would icons for coal mines, sulphur mines, rubber plantations, tropical wood, etc. show up in the appropriate areas as well? Or are the shown handful of options meant to encompass many different types of resources? Such as the lumber mill being able to output tropical wood if it's in the right place, or the mine outputting coal if that's the resource around it?

Also, I understand the player should ultimately be the national gardener here, but if the player chooses to give investors the freedom of a much looser economy policy I would love to seem them get the freedom to do their own thing, scaling that autonomy up with increasingly liberal policies! It's part of the risk-reward of liberalizing in my opinion - the risk of bad investments on the part of investors, but the reward of an economy that can self-sustain and even reach critical mass without full player micromanagement. Obviously this would only work if the AI worked better than prior Victoria games' AI, but I believe!
Yeah, you can have numerous different mines, plantations, etc as potentials that you can exploit in the same state. As long as you have the people to work it and the infrastructure to support it, of course.

• 50Like
  • 19Love
Reactions:
This is probably hoping for too much detail, but will the agriculture system model agronomy at all? Will monoculture crop plantations lose yield over time? Will fertilizers appear eventually as a way to improve yields?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Also, isn't this a bit odd? Industrializing is state driven, and that it's your job to develop states and get better jobs for people. We're all kind of like Stalin, crushing subsistence farmers to build an administrative building?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Another question! Can you make subsistence farms crash if you import or produce very cheap food and force the habitants out of it or they don't depend on the price of foods in the market?

From what I understand subsistence farmers do not produce "anything" for trade, but instead consume their own produce (with a little profit to simulate selling their slight surplus). As trade-oriented buildings are built (including production farms) the surplus goods head toward the market, and the number of subsistence farms decrease.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Could you elaborate further on the distinction in private industries between various types of economies? For instance, would a factory in a laissez-faire economy be run by capitalists, vs. factories in a communist economy being run by bureaucrats?

Reactions:
I dont like the building icons. They seem cartoonish and not really compatible with other artwork. Why not make them closer to victorian representations of buildings from historical art and less a kind of ANNO art

Reactions:
Yes

Ruin your rivals by embargoing or manipulating the prices of paper so that his bureaucracy collapses!!!

This is Victoria at its best

Paper is one the easiest goods to produce, so I doubt cornering the paper market would do any damage.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, isn't this a bit odd? Industrializing is state driven, and that it's your job to develop states and get better jobs for people. We're all kind of like Stalin, crushing subsistence farmers to build an administrative building?
Stalin wasn’t the only one to crush subsistence farmers. The landed gentry of England was pretty good at it too.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Stalin wasn’t the only one to crush subsistence farmers. The landed gentry of England was pretty good at it too.
Yes, but it's a step back from the Victoria 2 system where capitalists built the factories. The way this reads you're building all of it.

Reactions:
Except that the national focus mechanic for production didn't work.
hence "updated"

i hope you don't seriously believe that i would suggest them to implement a broken mechanic?

• 6Like
Reactions:
Can you please explain to us what the 2 arrows inside parentesis means?

Also, I think I'm getting a bit cofusing (just by seeing the pictures) by weekly/annual money data.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very exciting development diary, though I have to ask, will entertainment buildings be a thing? Stuff like playhouse theaters, early movie palaces (whenever that’s unlocked), fairs, Vaudeville, circuses, etc?

Also as a side unrelated question, but can you confirm whether newspapers will be making a return in Victoria 3? I always loved getting those in Victoria 2.

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: