• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You posted a wrong flag. Heres the correct flag.

1024px-Bandera_Mayor_de_Bolivia_(1831).png

The problem with most South American flags is that they liked to change multiple times across the timespan of the game. So unless Vicky 3 allows for easy flag changes (which I hope it will), you will eventually end up with inaccurate ones.

Reactions:
The problem with most South American flags is that they liked to change multiple times across the timespan of the game. So unless Vicky 3 allows for easy flag changes (which I hope it will), you will eventually end up with inaccurate ones.
You'd end up with different flags than were in use in the real world, but the word "inaccurate" isn't correct, because the game isn't trying to duplicate real-world history.

Not just Latin America; even the US flag changed regularly as states (and thus stars) were added. And the CSA only existed for a few years, and yet went through multiple flags (both from adding states/stars and from a couple of more fundamental design changes).

They'll presumably have to pick a representative flag for each tag for each government type and leave it at that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Flags, flags flags. I love flags. I love stripy flags and starry flags. Folks, I love flags.

More flags! As others have brought up in this thread there are a ton of countries that changed their flags a bunch during this period, even when the "government type" so to speak wasn't really changing. I would be over the moon to see this represented in-game through decisions locked behind specific dates, random flavour events, accomplishing certain things, etc. I'd also love if you could decide to not change the flag in some instances, even if the ideology of your country changes, giving you the option to do stuff like letting the player choose between a British republic under the union jack or that weird British republican flag that looks like Hungary's flag for whatever reason. Here's a few things I'd enjoy seeing:
  • More stars on US flags from incorporating new states (maybe CSA too)
  • Decisions for the already mentioned latin american countries to change their flags which seemed to happen a lot (maybe CSA too)
  • Changing the monarchist French flag depending on which dynasty comes back into power, and also maybe dynasty dependant flags for other countries too (this is soooort of in Vicky 2 but it's pretty limited)
  • Different flags for a constitutional monarchy vs. an absolute monarchy (would make the Carlist wars more flavourful)
  • Different flags for communist Russia (RSFSR) vs the USSR (no idea how this would work)
  • Speaking of communist countries, some communist flag in history had a very national character (Bulgaria, Hungary) whereas some have a much more generically communist character (USSR, China). Maybe have this reflected in game? Like different scenarios produce each type? Or maybe not, just spitballing here.
  • Anarchist flags since apparently that's going to be a thing, which is cool
  • Different flags for independent Canada depending on whether it's centered on the english or french part of the country
  • Different flags for Germany or Italy depending on who forms them (maybe Yugoslavia too) (Also maybe Central America, China, or Great Britain if they break apart and reform, and maybe some others)
  • Different flags for countries depending on who releases them maybe? Don't 100% know who this would apply to
  • Different flags depending on the status of religion (sort of like the HoI4 Mexico thing, or maybe based on secularization laws if that's a thing)
  • Different flags depending on decentralized vs. centralized or recognized vs. unrecognized (maybe decentralized shouldn't have flags? That might be sort of confusing though even if it would be realistic)
That's most of what I could think of but there's surely more. We've already seen that things like the Swedish and Hidjazi flags have some distinction based on circumstance so I have hope that there will be some dynamism to the flag situation. Would be cool!! (Sorry about the long comment. Again, I love flags)

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
View attachment 730575
Brazil first republican flag. (I hate it)
Please, no. That flag was official from 15 November 1889 to 19 November 1889, so four days. It's best to simply ignore it, like the Lopes Trovão which was hoisted once on the 15th and never again. We're much better off skipping directly to the 20 November flag, which is the one we have today modulo the number of stars, or some other contender like Rio Branco's which @gustavotoniato referenced.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please, no. That flag was official from 15 November 1889 to 19 November 1889, so four days. It's best to simply ignore it, like the Lopes Trovão which was hoisted once on the 15th and never again. We're much better off skipping directly to the 20 November flag, which is the one we have today modulo the number of stars, or some other contender like Rio Branco's which @gustavotoniato referenced.
I agree, but if the republic happened without a coup d'état, it is likely that the flag could have been this one, because it was the flag of the republican clubs.

Alias about symbols in republican Brazil it's always nice to read José Murillo de Carvalho's The Formation of Souls

• 1Like
Reactions:
Flags, flags flags. I love flags. I love stripy flags and starry flags. Folks, I love flags.

More flags! As others have brought up in this thread there are a ton of countries that changed their flags a bunch during this period, even when the "government type" so to speak wasn't really changing. I would be over the moon to see this represented in-game through decisions locked behind specific dates, random flavour events, accomplishing certain things, etc. I'd also love if you could decide to not change the flag in some instances, even if the ideology of your country changes, giving you the option to do stuff like letting the player choose between a British republic under the union jack or that weird British republican flag that looks like Hungary's flag for whatever reason. Here's a few things I'd enjoy seeing:
  • More stars on US flags from incorporating new states (maybe CSA too)
  • Decisions for the already mentioned latin american countries to change their flags which seemed to happen a lot (maybe CSA too)
  • Changing the monarchist French flag depending on which dynasty comes back into power, and also maybe dynasty dependant flags for other countries too (this is soooort of in Vicky 2 but it's pretty limited)
  • Different flags for a constitutional monarchy vs. an absolute monarchy (would make the Carlist wars more flavourful)
  • Different flags for communist Russia (RSFSR) vs the USSR (no idea how this would work)
  • Speaking of communist countries, some communist flag in history had a very national character (Bulgaria, Hungary) whereas some have a much more generically communist character (USSR, China). Maybe have this reflected in game? Like different scenarios produce each type? Or maybe not, just spitballing here.
  • Anarchist flags since apparently that's going to be a thing, which is cool
  • Different flags for independent Canada depending on whether it's centered on the english or french part of the country
  • Different flags for Germany or Italy depending on who forms them (maybe Yugoslavia too) (Also maybe Central America, China, or Great Britain if they break apart and reform, and maybe some others)
  • Different flags for countries depending on who releases them maybe? Don't 100% know who this would apply to
  • Different flags depending on the status of religion (sort of like the HoI4 Mexico thing, or maybe based on secularization laws if that's a thing)
  • Different flags depending on decentralized vs. centralized or recognized vs. unrecognized (maybe decentralized shouldn't have flags? That might be sort of confusing though even if it would be realistic)
That's most of what I could think of but there's surely more. We've already seen that things like the Swedish and Hidjazi flags have some distinction based on circumstance so I have hope that there will be some dynamism to the flag situation. Would be cool!! (Sorry about the long comment. Again, I love flags)
y'know what, i honestly feel like I did pretty well here. a lot of these suggestions should be possible with mods based on what was said in the dev diary

Reactions: