• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - 8 June 2021 - New monuments chosen for 1.31.5

Good news everyone! Today we’ll be presenting the new monuments that shall be introduced in 1.31.5 (coming soon, for those who wonder).

But first, let me introduce myself. I’m Pavía, and I’ve been a forumite for more than 15 years before joining Paradox Tinto team, a couple months ago. Apart from being in the Forums, I’ve spent most of this time playing Paradox games for thousands of hours, since the first Europa Universalis. Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV.

That said, onto the monuments. First I’ll present to you the ones that were most voted among the community:

The first is El Escorial, the famous palace-monastery built at the orders of king Philip II in the outskirts of Madrid:

monastery_of_el_escorial.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
−0.01 Monthly autonomy change
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
−0.025 Monthly autonomy change
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
−0.05 Monthly autonomy change
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

The second one is the Holy City of Jerusalem. As it’s known, this city is a sacred place for Judaism, Christianism and Islam, and that religious crossroad is portrayed:

old_city_jerusalem.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:
+1% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+1% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+2% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+2% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+3% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary
+3% Missionary strength against Heretics

Finally, the last one most voted was Cerro Rico del Potosí, the richest silver mine in South America, and a place that once hosted the most populous city in the region.

cerro_pico_potosi.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+5% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+10% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+20% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

But, apart from that, the Tinto team also voted for three more internally:

The first is the Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site for Muslims worldwide, and the place were the Hajj pilgrimage, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is made.

kaaba.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
-5% War score cost vs other religions
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity
-10% War score cost vs other religions

Next one is the Great Mosque of Djenné, one of the worship places built during the times of the Mali Empire in a very unique adobe brick style.

djenne.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
+1% Missionary strength against Heathens
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+2% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+3% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary

Last, but not least, is the Imperial City of Hue, built by the Nguyen dynasty as a symbol for a unified Dai Viet.

imperial_city_hue.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly harmony increase
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.33 Yearly harmony increase
−10% State maintenance
−5% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly harmony increase
−20% State maintenance
−10% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy

Finally, we got a lot of feedback from the community, and we also think that it’s a good idea to replace one of the current monuments for other more interesting choice, and reworking it, as this was pretty requested:

That is the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon, as we think that it’s a symbol of the city since the Age of Discoveries.

belem_tower.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+15% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+25% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+50% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

About the modifiers, take into account that this is work in progress, so both modifiers and values may be reviewed and changed, depending on testing and feedback received.

We hope that you like the new monuments chosen by both the community and the team, and that you also enjoy the wonderful work made by our artists, while playing with them in 1.31.5. See you!

Last edited:
  • 171Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
We decided to keep the Manpower modifier from Pena Palace as it fits the barracks that Philip II ordered to build by the tower in 1580's. Anyway, we can take into account the Marine modifier in further versions, although Portugal already has an edge in that type of warfare.
How will the Tower of Belém monument Interact with the Tower of Belém event?

I assume the Tower of Belém event still happens for those without Leviathan, but what about for those with it?

Do they still get the event to Build the tower? Do they lose the event? Or will they get a different event instead?

And in that case, what about the +25% Defensiveness modifier that Lisbon would normally get from the Tower of Belém event? This new monument doesn't have any defensiveness modifiers, so does this mean Leviathan owners will still get the defensiveness modifier from the event or will they lose the defensiveness bonus?

This tower was first and foremost a defensive structure, it's primary effect should be local defensiveness, so if it's not part of the monument itself, it should at least remain part of the event bonus for Leviathan owners.

Reactions:
Did you actually read that article you linked? It says:

The Unterschloss was constructed by Ferdinand II specifically as a museum to host his vast art collection of art and of armour in 1570 and has served in that function ever since.
Having established the concept of a museum as a place to present art and other collections and to make these collections accessible to the public does satisfy the standard of an important role in the history of humanity and the world in my books.
It was a show off room, not a true museum cmon there where a lot of those in italian cities, the Vienna one was build at the same time... It is not relevant enough for a monument, like a few on the list.

Did you actually read that article you linked? It says:

The Unterschloss was constructed by Ferdinand II specifically as a museum to host his vast art collection of art and of armour in 1570 and has served in that function ever since.
Having established the concept of a museum as a place to present art and other collections and to make these collections accessible to the public does satisfy the standard of an important role in the history of humanity and the world in my books.

Thank you Pavia! And for showing that PhDs in history can get cool jobs out in the world. :-D

Reactions:
I have an idea:
How about dynamic artwork for monuments ? As you upgrade your monument to the next stage, the artwork changes slightly
Kind of like how the art for forts changes in the siege view as the siege progresses. (But obviously in reverse )
I know the art team already has a lot on their plate regarding monuments, so it could be applied on a few of the monuments rather than all of them, and the artwork doesn’t have to change significantly.

for example older monument which were constructed before the games timeline, like the great pyramids could look worn out and rocky, and once you finally upgrade it to the final stage, it’ll look all shiny and white like the days it was first constructed.
For the monuments which were constructed during the games timeline, the beginning stages could show the monuments under construction, and the final stages could show it fully constructed.

I think it’d give a lot more satisfaction to the player too!
This is a fantastic idea, but I don't think they will do it because it will require a lot of work from the artists. And they probably want to dedicate more resources to content that they can monetize rather than improve features we've already paid for (unfortunately).

Glad that you're happy about having proper cultural representation. I for me will say that Vietnam is a beautiful country, with lots of interesting monuments, and adding one is worth it, IMHO.

That said, this mission will be changed for 1.31.5, so the reward for it will be adding 1 tier to the monument.
Wonderful, monumental, you keep spoiling me with of great news. I also agree with @Jimmyfeellucky about the abundance of legitimacy. I'm glad that it is on the road map for future update.
Thank you all, Paradox Tinto team & Paradox team.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't really understand Austria's national monument being anything but Schönbrunn palace. Also, the Ottomans aren't able to use the pyramids of Giza after their historical conquest of Egypt. Is that intentional?

It is frustrating to play paid content only to have every other monument locked behind a cultural or religious barrier. Monuments are flexible and are often twisted to the uses of conquerors. It is quite historical, actually, to reappropriate the symbols of the past (a famous example being Hagia Sophia). Maybe some kind of decision?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Very nice... I was hopping for Jerónimos Monastery, but Belem Tower also makes sense.

PS: also kudos to @Pavía and all the other content designers!
We had on the table Jeronimos Monastery, Batalha Monastery and Torre de Belem to replace Pena Palace but in the end Torre de Belem is more recognizable by non iberians so it had an edge. We all agree that any of those three would have been a good decision.

• 2Like
Reactions:
well... time to conquer spain , and accept their culture!

for Jerusalem, does it stack with current modifier? or will it lead to a removal?

playing : Fortunate Son from Creedence Clearwater Revival

oops wrong game

But I'm agree monuments should be balanced between different agree
Hahaha yeah, I must've been thinking of another game.

Yeah, I agree. It's a good thing that Vietnam got to have at least one monument. Tho it could have also been better if Champa gets to have one too, like the My Son temple.

I wish you would put more love into german Great projects, because right now there are only 2 in the german area...one in austria, the other in cologne. The turkish area for the Ottomans or Bazyantines have 4, 5, 6...a lot more just on the turkish peninsula and greek area. Sometimes just few provinces away. There are so many nice and important buildings in germany. How about the Reichstag in berlin being able to build when you unite to Germany? How about Dresden, Königsberg? Germany has the most castles and universities in whole europe, so many many cultural buildings. I hope you will take a closer look at possebilities.

I wish you would put more love into german Great projects, because right now there are only 2 in the german area...one in austria, the other in cologne. The turkish area for the Ottomans or Bazyantines have 4, 5, 6...a lot more just on the turkish peninsula and greek area. Sometimes just few provinces away. There are so many nice and important buildings in germany. How about the Reichstag in berlin being able to build when you unite to Germany? How about Dresden, Königsberg? Germany has the most castles and universities in whole europe, so many many cultural buildings. I hope you will take a closer look at possebilities.
tbh I'm surprised they didn't have Ulm Minster from the start.

well... time to conquer spain , and accept their culture!

for Jerusalem, does it stack with current modifier? or will it lead to a removal?
I read in a separate thread that the monuments of Jerusalem and Kaaba are replacing the triggered modifiers. Users playing without leviathan have the triggers as usual still.

Reactions:
Good, but sorry, Potosí shouldn't have been even considered for Monument.
The city passed from 165k inhabitants in 1625 to 70k en 1750, and finally just 8k in 1825 when mines were exhausted. The loss of precious metals was extremely fast, not even the population lasted, contrary to monuments which are meant to last.

With Potosí, just make Cuzco and Mexico City a monument. (But hey, actually you can't take a real life man made edification from those as a monument, not a city or mountain, as for example Tenochtitlan temples as monuments but only work for Aztec culture and religion).

But Potosí truly doesn't fit the concept of monument.

How could you upgrade such monument when in real life it ONLY declined??

I strongly recommend taking some from the Flavor Universalis mod. Estern Europe, Africa, and Asia need some monumental love.

• 1Like
Reactions: