• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - 8 June 2021 - New monuments chosen for 1.31.5

Good news everyone! Today we’ll be presenting the new monuments that shall be introduced in 1.31.5 (coming soon, for those who wonder).

But first, let me introduce myself. I’m Pavía, and I’ve been a forumite for more than 15 years before joining Paradox Tinto team, a couple months ago. Apart from being in the Forums, I’ve spent most of this time playing Paradox games for thousands of hours, since the first Europa Universalis. Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV.

That said, onto the monuments. First I’ll present to you the ones that were most voted among the community:

The first is El Escorial, the famous palace-monastery built at the orders of king Philip II in the outskirts of Madrid:

monastery_of_el_escorial.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
−0.01 Monthly autonomy change
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
−0.025 Monthly autonomy change
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
−0.05 Monthly autonomy change
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

The second one is the Holy City of Jerusalem. As it’s known, this city is a sacred place for Judaism, Christianism and Islam, and that religious crossroad is portrayed:

old_city_jerusalem.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:
+1% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+1% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+2% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+2% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+3% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary
+3% Missionary strength against Heretics

Finally, the last one most voted was Cerro Rico del Potosí, the richest silver mine in South America, and a place that once hosted the most populous city in the region.

cerro_pico_potosi.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+5% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+10% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+20% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

But, apart from that, the Tinto team also voted for three more internally:

The first is the Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site for Muslims worldwide, and the place were the Hajj pilgrimage, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is made.

kaaba.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
-5% War score cost vs other religions
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity
-10% War score cost vs other religions

Next one is the Great Mosque of Djenné, one of the worship places built during the times of the Mali Empire in a very unique adobe brick style.

djenne.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
+1% Missionary strength against Heathens
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+2% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+3% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary

Last, but not least, is the Imperial City of Hue, built by the Nguyen dynasty as a symbol for a unified Dai Viet.

imperial_city_hue.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly harmony increase
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.33 Yearly harmony increase
−10% State maintenance
−5% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly harmony increase
−20% State maintenance
−10% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy

Finally, we got a lot of feedback from the community, and we also think that it’s a good idea to replace one of the current monuments for other more interesting choice, and reworking it, as this was pretty requested:

That is the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon, as we think that it’s a symbol of the city since the Age of Discoveries.

belem_tower.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+15% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+25% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+50% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

About the modifiers, take into account that this is work in progress, so both modifiers and values may be reviewed and changed, depending on testing and feedback received.

We hope that you like the new monuments chosen by both the community and the team, and that you also enjoy the wonderful work made by our artists, while playing with them in 1.31.5. See you!

Last edited:
  • 171Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
Aplausos*! Great!

*Applause

Last edited:
  • 17Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
More sources of Harmony? Great.

Portugal finally loses their ahistorical monument and instead has the community-voted one added? Amazing.

Mecca and Jerusalem both get monuments? Perfect.

Also excited to see that missionary strength against heathens is now a thing.

This almost persuaded me to buy Leviathan, fixing concentrate development and giving Korea a monument might actually push me over the edge. *wink*

Last edited:
  • 20Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Nice! Will there be missions for some of the nations affected? For example, Spain could have a small mission to upgrade El Escorial, and could be tied to winning a battle against a rival. In fact, El Escorial was built as a result of the Battle of San Quintín against France. Also, they have a mission related to Potosi, which could reward monument upgrade bonus to the colonial subject owning that province so that they can upgrade it.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Interesting. Just one thing bothers me. Why do all muslim monuments give positive piety? One granting mysticism would be a nice change (iirc the samarkhand one did in its first iteration)

• 36Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV
Actually, I think this is maybe the most important one!

Anyway, the additions look great, and I'm pleasantly surprised we don't have to wait for 1.32 for these to be implemented.

• 17Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Shouldn't the Jerusalem one be more about tolerance than conversion? Also most of the Spanish Empire's silver came from Potosi. Maybe it should give a bonus to filling up treasure fleets.

• 22Like
Reactions:
I find it odd that the Dai Viet one only gives Confucian bonus and no Buddhist bonus when Dai Viet can go either way. I would expect it to have a karma decay modifier as well.
Shouldn't the Jerusalem one be more about tolerance
Seriously? The city that even today people kill each other over as symbol of tolerance?

• 1Like
Reactions:
First, thanks for your kind comments!

Nice! Will there be missions for some of the nations affected? For example, Spain could have a small mission to upgrade El Escorial, and could be tied to winning a battle against a rival. In fact, El Escorial was built as a result of the Battle of San Quintín against France. Also, they have a mission related to Potosi, which could reward monument upgrade bonus to the colonial subject owning that province so that they can upgrade it.
We'll rework current missions, events and modifiers for this set of new monuments, yes. Probably at the first moment that will be done as with Versailles and Forbidden City decisions, so they'd depend on available DLC of the player, but perhaps in the future we can rework them in the style you're suggesting.
Interesting. Just one thing bothers me. Why do all muslim monuments give positive piety? One granting mysticism would be a nice change (iirc the samarkhand one did in its first iteration)
We're currently balancing that, so any of the current piety monuments would give mysticism instead of legalism.
Looking forward to them. A map mode showing the monuments would be very useful as well.
It will be added in 1.31.5. ;)
When listing the benefits, it would also be useful to list the requirements (religion, culture?)
Well, I didn't put them because the post would be too blobby IMHO, but they will be:

- No requirements: Potosí and Belém Tower.
- Culture requirements: El Escorial (Iberian group).
- Religious: Muslim (Kaaba and Djenné), Muslim, Christian or Jewish (Jerusalem), Confucian (Hue).
Nice addition. I hope Korea & Italy & Germany get monument next time.
Santa Maria del Fiore and Brandenburg Gate were really closed on being added, so those will probably be part of next addition wave.
Shouldn't the Jerusalem one be more about tolerance than conversion? Also most of the Spanish Empire's silver came from Potosi. Maybe it should give a bonus to filling up treasure fleets.
That's an interesting focus about Jerusalem; we'll be thinking about that for next versions, for sure, as some rework may be done.
@Pavía

For future references and suggestions, what would constitute a great project/monument?
You've got a huge bunch of proposal in Monument Megathread, of very different types. We'll try to keep a balance between history, geography and gameplay when choosing and adding more.
I find it odd that the Dai Viet one only gives Confucian bonus and no Buddhist bonus when Dai Viet can go either way. I would expect it to have a karma decay modifier as well.
We'll think about that, for sure.

• 52Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
And Italy with the highest number of Unesco sites in the world still has only one. Well.
I hope it will be considered in the future

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Monument map addition is great, and love the new additions and changes to the Portugal monument.

Cheer up to the art guy who drew Pena palace though.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nice selection, but I am surprised the Brandenburg Gate didn't make it since I saw a lot of votes for it.

If there will ever be a round focussed on monuments in the German region, we have quite a lot to choose from - many of which relevant to the HRE as a whole:
- Hofburg or St. Stephans
- Herrenhausen Gardens
- Aachen Cathedral
- Ulmer Minster
- Speyer Cathedral
- Brandenburg Gate
- Sanssouci
- Dresden Zwinger
- Malbork Castle

I really hope that monuments will continue to get expanded on, but I also feel like monuments should be tied to certain ages or finished NI milestones to ground them more - as they are right now they feel a bit too ahistorical in terms of their requirements (Don't think baroque castles were around in 1450, for example).

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: