What do you do with the shit ton of German special units from mods?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pandrea

Captain
48 Badges
Jun 18, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Magicka 2
  • Victoria 2
Last German play (All in a one) I was overwhelmed by brandenburger, SS infantry, SS motorized, super-pres, grosse deutschland elite infrantry, armored transports...

At certain point I have start to sell them for manpower and built my units. They don't seem much stronger than normal units or are even worse

At certain point I have start to sell them for manpower and built my units. They don't seem much stronger than normal units or are even worse
Welcome to the logic of "Wunderwaffen"(#1).
Well, they have their value in some specialized cases... other than that I'd agree. Their main value was in propaganda. Excellently ported to DH.

And all that SS-crap... a myth of NS-propaganda and upto today kept alive and fed by Hollywood.
The SS was kind of the Party's loyal own army and thus pampered with the best and newest weapons. Their military value in comparison to "normal" Wehrmacht units was dubvious, their officers often lacking proper military training. Those double structures were quite common for the Nazis: control via competition and "divide and rule". Surely lowered overall efficiency considerably but obviously the Nazis were suspicious enough about the loyalty of many Germans that it seemed worth to them.
Fits that SS-units are usually best in urban areas, doesn't it?

#1: "In the German language the term Wunderwaffe generally refers to a universal solution which solves all problems related to a particular issue, mostly used ironically for its illusionary nature. (excellently phrased by... Source: Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Reactions:
No experience here with 'All in One' mod, but I've played plenty with special units (TRP in my case). I generally just group them together and/or incorporate in my playthroughs or disband as necessary as you stated. In many cases they're mostly flavor.

Don't forget you can upgrade them to units you may actually want as an option too.

Last German play (All in a one) I was overwhelmed by brandenburger, SS infantry, SS motorized, super-pres, grosse deutschland elite infrantry, armored transports...

How badly are you handling your manpower that you need to disband a handful of special units to sustain your regulars???

If you think the SS were bad for combat, look at the Italian militia.

Equipment worse than the army (hard to imagine but true), training worthy of reserve boyscout, classification in the army uniforms and therefore for the logistic system they depended on army officers who despise the militia. I'm pretty sure the ascari wards were better treated.