• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

I know you are all eager to learn more about the Royal Court, but as we announced last week, we will go into more details once the Azure patch is released. If everything goes according to plan, and there are no unexpected events, we aim to release Azure next week! But let’s focus on today's small dev diary for now!

During the development of Crusader Kings III, we organized a community challenge where you could unlock unique cosmetics for the game, which we dubbed the Monarch’s Journey. With the 1.4.0 Azure patch, we’ve decided to make these cosmetics available for everyone!

It includes:
  • Headgear:
    • Hennin
    • Chaperon
    • Jester's Hat
  • Haircuts:
    • Miller
    • Miller Highlights
    • Jeanne d'Arc
    • Pageboy
    • Mullet
  • And the Wizard's Beard!
In order to celebrate this, we’ve also hooked some of these assets in to be used by random characters. For instance, Scots will be able to randomly use the Mullet haircut, while Frankish women will be able to use the Jeanne d’Arc haircut.

1.jpg

[A classy French woman with a Jeanne d’Arc haircut]

t3BtwD4oQ0zJCvxyK2KHOtw4Dwk6pVvjpU530WSuEyNk55-SjWcjExtyhDE1nt7DgGkQ_N5-BvyVdlE2ljIkattcQVF-PDauZERoMP3xTBm_7Asce0lE12AzY3Z8brOGu5zGWn1i

[A charming Scot with a Mullet]

And because fashion changed over time, the Chaperon and Hennin will be available in the western world only after 1300.

3.jpg

[A wonderful Chaperon]

pAP7DzFVQd9YEXx7KWPVSBaFNlMuzCp0hhBeOMD2bq-gk4o8uR-lBo5nd21TPuKmMmEWOqH6XJcP5QdPVr_wHYms_0UAoO2MJg1kyiJZtilktTwc4mMF-aWulNBspWIBxVnmVPIi

[A magnificent Hennin]

In addition to that, we fixed several visual bugs highlighted by you:
  • Spouses of rulers will now once again wear clothes based on their spouse's culture
  • Arabic High Nobility will now use the Scholar's Turban and Caliphs will use the Caliphal Robes
  • The 'Spindly' Trait will not make people's limbs too thin anymore

On the AI side, we reworked how vassals handle holy war and added constraints on Feudal and Clans rulers to limit their aggression of Tribal rulers. These modifications still allow the Byzantine empire to expand but in a more elegant way. Let’s have a look at a few results from Observe mode!

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

And this is it for today! As mentioned at the beginning of this dev diary, we should be back next week with the changelog for the patch if everything goes well!

Until then, I wish you the best and, hopefully, have fun!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    379,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A vivid green was quite accessible - but not necessarily quick or cheap. You dyed blue woad cloth with a strong yellow. (Lincoln and Kendal greens were both done this way.)

The problem was that double dying is difficult to get consistent between lots as you can get it wrong on *both* dying jobs that are required. And of course if either component of the dye starts to fade, the whole thing discolours. It's also *massively* time consuming to do, compared to dying things a single time.

A very acceptable purple could be obtained by overdying blue (woad) and red (madder), although the red component (at least in Western Europe) was prone to fading, so redying might well be required.
You could also dye blue and overdye with crimson for a more stable, rich purple.
Yeop that's why i said "difficult to dye" not "impossible to dye" ;)

Also I could have sworn there was a fungal dye for a shade of purple, but that there was some problem with it? (It washed out or faded quickly or something?)

Last edited:
I was taught in school certain sea snails offered royal purple. It was kind of expensive and often associated with royalty and empires. Actually it might be purple blue or azure.

Last edited:
Yeop that's why i said "difficult to dye" not "impossible to dye" ;)

Also I could have sworn there was a fungal dye for a shade of purple, but that there was some problem with it? (It washed out or faded quickly or something?)
That's very fair. I was trying to add a broader context, because it's something I looked into back when I was with the re-enactment society near me.

And yes, there are some purple lichen dyes, but they're not one that was practical locally. The double dying method seemed to be the popular one here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now if only creating Custom CoAs in Character Creation let's you cycle back. I hate getting a good CoA, thinking, hey maybe I could get a better one, then regret it as the next 30 CoAs are ugly with no option to go back to the decent one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was taught in school certain sea snails offered royal purple. It was kind of expensive and often associated with royalty and empires. Actually it might be purple blue or azure.
Tyrian Purple is probably what are thinking of. It was made by the Phoenicians who lived in the city of Tyre in Lebanon. It was so valuable that the city paid their annual tribute to the Achaemenid Persian Empire in fabric dyed in the color. The color itself was very reddish purple, not blue. In the ancient world blue as generally only available from lapis lazuli if I remember correctly. It was mostly found in Afghanistan.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Tyrian Purple is probably what are thinking of. It was made by the Phoenicians who lived in the city of Tyre in Lebanon. It was so valuable that the city paid their annual tribute to the Achaemenid Persian Empire in fabric dyed in the color. The color itself was very reddish purple, not blue. In the ancient world blue as generally only available from lapis lazuli if I remember correctly. It was mostly found in Afghanistan.
*Woad*. Woad was a very usual blue dye. It's the same chemical as indigo.

You can also get blues from various berry dyes - I've got a blanket/shawl thing that's *still* got blue blotchy stains on it after being washed several times with modern detergents because I fell into a blue berry bush years ago. Without any attempt to fix the dye, it seems to be pretty much permanent, although it has faded a little.

Apparently you can also get a blue dye of sorts from *red cabbage* - although I'm unsure whether this is a permanent cloth dye or not.

• 2Like
Reactions:

yes, that was what I was thinking of. Thank you.

Happy to see the MJ rewards used by the AI, but not happy to see that only some will be used by AI. Why is it that all of them aren't available to the AI?

The constraint for feudal realms invading Tribal realms seems a bit strange to me. I suppose it'll probably help fix the problem it's there to fix, but not allowing them to go to war until after their previously acquired county is converted to feudalism seems off to me. It may solve some or all of the problems with attacking tribals, but the way it does it just really makes no sense to me.

CK3 has a decent amount of starting options for how you want to set up your campaign. Maybe the AI behavior vs tribes should be a option you can choose from when starting a new campaign? Restricted (AI has to upgrade holding) vs Unrestricted (AI can war with tribes whenever they feel like it.)

So no fix for the the issue where the Grant Blot event that will not continue which was part of paid dlc ????? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-hold-grant-blot-will-not-continue.1462492/

Also no fix for a gamebreaking bug where grandkids will not marry ???

both confirmed as bugs,so why after all these weeks or better said months are these bugs not being fixed in this upcoming patch ??

So no fix for the the issue where the Grant Blot event that will not continue which was part of paid dlc ????? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-hold-grant-blot-will-not-continue.1462492/

Also no fix for a gamebreaking bug where grandkids will not marry ???

both confirmed as bugs,so why after all these weeks or better said months are these bugs not being fixed in this upcoming patch ??
Bugfixes are not announced as patch features, you'll have to wait for the actual patch notes for that.

Reactions:
Just to parrot some other comments thus far, the ability to choose the color of our clothes would be phenomenal. Or even some transparency on how we could edit it with some doing or save editing?

Also, is there any word for the Azure patch will address the issue of multiplayer instability due to being logged out of paradox plaza?

Making the Monarch's Journey stuff free is a lovely gesture so thank you very much. I only got the opportunity to try two of the scenarios but it was a fun idea that made me excited for CKIII. Having all the cosmetics removes the awful FOMO that comes with time limited events like this

Reactions: