• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I loved the new DD. Kudos for the art!.

I hope you spend some time to improve less sexy things though, like problems with currently existing mission trees, balancing issues, etc. Specially I'd really appreciate if you give some love to Epirus, whose mission design and relative starting position vs Rome make it harder to follow and enjoy the path intended when Pdox first designed their mission trees.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Just a minor suggestion. Could you change flag of Sarmatia to be the (higher quality version) flag of Roxolani from the old EU: Rome? I always loved how cool that flag looked, though I wouldn't mind if this doesn't get implemented, since it's just a personal thing. :p

Will Carthage be white? That's the colour that seems to fit them best IMO. Nice to see you've renamed it Qart Hadasht :)

It shoould be white 100%, but I prefer Carthage to Qart Hadasht, Qart Hadasht is clunky and doesn't look good on the map at all. But whatever its called it has to be white, the green is a total abomination and was a straight up troll from PDX IMO.

Reactions:
I think that a lot of us may have a feeling like a white Carthage should be a thing because of the R:TW, but honestly if you play long enough that green is fine too.
Then again, carthage never stays green for long ;)

As someone getting into modding Imperator (I've been modding other paradox games for a few years now, mostly just making personal mods and playing around with things) I'm finding this really energizing. Special props to the artists, their work is above and beyond.

I'm currently working on a flavour/rebalance mod for the Arabian peninsula. It's nothing too ambitious, but when it's done I'd be happy to see if any part of it could be adapted to Invictus.

Also, since you're showing off the Ptolemies. What about having an event like Bactria, where the country culture can change if a local dynasty takes over? (obviously with some checks to ensure you can't just reeducate a Lagid to switch culture group) I know it's a big balance change, but it also seems to be something a lot of people have asked for.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
Yes it does!
CFEBA029-26CB-447F-881E-3F32E772CB78.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions:
DD3: Macedonian Missions + Background art
DD3:
Salvete readers!
We are once again back with another weekly developer diary :) Today, gmb360 will be showcasing our so-called “Background System”, along with some example art that will accompany it, Arkerios will be the first to show off some of our work related to mission trees and finally, some new Illyrian deities will be introduced.

The Background System (by gmb360)

Hello there dear readers ;)This week features our custom backgrounds system, so let’s jump right into it! As mentioned in the first DD, we debuted the new special background for Alexandria made by Nerdman3000. This art serves as a special background for character portraits if certain conditions are met. Unlike in the base game, this custom background applies to every character that is positioned in a territory that has a special background designation. So let's say Antigonus I captures Alexandria and makes it his capital; the following new background will be applied:
6Fu0lsmtAJ0GRsV6VN1EkJgEpEMmPIaBcMqzU35SrTFzmnUJCFLlTgJyyvGjSVgBVki8XlGmUNc7u_48XR39L0ZUj8V_Tn9e5ZLltIHnNknla0gsLSFGZenGQB17uFlI50fImBh6

This amazing new feature now also applies to navies, legions or mercenaries that are stationed in port or within the city tile. As soon as they move out of the territory, the background will change according to their new location.
t2BNRzZHuW9wx-bC8yAwc2OKNs-ue28sxx-hf1cO9a8MItFBQ0BKD6YPTp1OndKphiJfItpDGOPFvhF3fVpptO_RF7f_Hhn9ig-9Qay0zUzRRTyWz4rjuSdRCZrUmvJDuu0uqjOP

Something that is also important to mention is that the custom background system will also apply to minor characters, characters that are in your court, and local governors! So let’s say for example that your capital is not in Alexandria, but instead in Memphis. As arguably the second most important city of Egypt, we thought Memphis deserved some extra attention and so it will also have unique background art that will appear if you make Memphis your capital. It will also appear for any governor in charge of the territory. If you appoint a governor to Lower Egypt, he will get the background of the region's capital, which in this case would be the province of Memphis:
JW_Emhv7NDLuooff3QuhHhTVPZjzK6xZw-8_b8NnQC0qDj_LjyUln7avq4-4AEICdWFo2vBR-NSO_ifpFemN68oe9Uf6BAJYSvnAJSx_W2HUSBqbHo9WDPFDdEok3NIuZ40thsUm

The new background system works for all provinces that have a special background and though we plan on developing many more backgrounds than just the ones we've shown, we do not want to reveal everything just yet. If players spend some time looking, you might find some easter egg backgrounds around the world ;).

Now if you think that’s it, then you are mistaken! As last week’s teaser indicated, we've also created a new background for characters leading an army! In this example, we shall take a look at Rome:

Eh4aCzIEgDgo3BNRQbViD4iKkgnAVGpZHAOv6nCcyllYWd9kAB11YodAkIoV_-0vgX4oqIV9I4mfPCJMnrRnmfTv1-PSNQHuMmkjXDHHjSbPd1OYiH0Fhs6nbIWSws8W__B_yZfa

xSq7mrFZM_EIhej-DaN2lWJE-zgJ0GMYZZ9B6RAzzEmofwJanctxaFAemeanUBggv9RUpxDnXZiKd9DkPUwSbEaFYmo_hEzI1mdg9RYPHWUCTenGC4ZFfU9LpP1bIkQs6-1GKFmz

As you can see, when a commander is leading an army on the field he will get what we're calling the "war tent" background. Now a cool thing about this feature is that while levies or legions led by your ruler default to the war tent background, the new system will always prioritize the unique provincial background if an army occupies a tile with a special background. Unfortunately, the system currently does not consider levies led by governors for these parameters. This is because the governors are technically programmed to always occupy their respective regional capital and not actually where the army is located. This seems to be a hardcoded issue in the base version of Imperator, but rest assured that we are trying to fix this as soon as possible. Until then, as long as they are leading an army, a governor will keep their war tent background no matter where he is. We plan to add unique war tent background art for several nations. For the initial release, there will be war tents for Rome and the Diadochi, and both will also be the focus of most of the new unique backgrounds you will see in the initial release.

You may be asking 'What happens to those countries who don’t have a unique war tent background?' Well, they will instead get a generic war tent background, which will not be specific to any one particular country. For the initial release, there will be different generic war tent backgrounds for monarchies, republics, and tribal governments. An example of one of these generic backgrounds is below, where you will see what our generic monarchy war tent background looks like.

BbbslHWtsS_22-n0SH7Awq65u-tntskkuPgPB-7lgBAuWqhWwyLHCvlR_nuBGvvbPho-OubkvqH46f0X68y0CX5YpCUBkG5R2A-ZNk5Rb7cUrRrNJFaZB4nR27NKSWdGIcFv_Z3a

Finally before we move on from the subject of character backgrounds, but one interesting feature that we’re currently in the process of working onis that Rome will be currently a bit unique from other countries getting new backgrounds in the sense that it will in fact have two unique character backgrounds for its capital, rather than simply one unique background for it’s capital. For consuls, co-consuls, and party leaders, the background that will be displayed for them will be that of a new unique Roman Senate Chambers background, but for every other Roman character who is currently in Rome, they will get a unique background which instead showcases the City of Rome.

The reason for this dual background system is that we felt it was important to represent both the City of Rome and the Roman Senate, which were both equally important for Rome. The Roman Senate we believe makes sense as a background for Roman Consuls and party leaders, but not necessarily something which makes much sense for non-consul or non-party leader characters. Therefore with this compromise, both groups will get their own unique background.

As for now though, this dual-background system will be exclusive to the Roman Republic, at least for the initial release, but it may eventually expand into other locations in the future as the mod develops.

So to give you one final tease before we go, here is a look at the art for the City of Rome background mentioned above:

jVNGmnl1BhtrTHfEykCygsdQay3brOfmqYCvK8r6Mzp058nGFozF0WimRKNH-vNpHHjnm3QQ5Zv0Pjmfb4nQYzcQwbGnNMXV41jF1DXWxaK80oALGbq-tcQyStRmVb933ZWfRsWU

Macedon Mission Tree Rework

Hi there, I'm Arkerios, a Hellenic modder of the team.
Today I will introduce the new Macedonian missions trees, with the first one being focused on the old Macedonian heartland. The updated mission includes familiar tasks, such as expanding trade, constructing particular buildings, founding cities and developing resources, as well as accomplishing some new tasks that utilize the Heirs of Alexander (HoA) features and decisions, such as 'Improve Metalworking' and 'Thessalian League', gaining several modifiers and new mining goods.
The tree shares some similarities to the Egyptian mission featured in HoA.
v2NlfDVbT3gDjM9Xmv0VGCiGNry51-8Lsik7ARBIsaXuG1Rkc9mO9HcjKUX_KiYR8QfVmwbiAH4UAbF3bY8lZtboMNprKnwE5CvBGh9gQJpmox72iYYBy0xwK1VgzCW9Zdx0C_I8

VYpuJ5EFpu12dyXeTJBvOhGadGX94XF7UUqStYWuHln0PC6-_ccBMR9Tc4BfsZN1A2N-3T4IFVUnoY5H0GhzLBJ8_QONdHviH2_fEikBN8TvLLF-5fcw6aUUx7nOgPeFSwAwvoqc

Without giving too much away, the second part of the tree has some tasks with significant rewards.
I moved some Hellenic mastery tasks to here, as that mission will be overhauled in the future as well.
The final mission rework for Macedon is related to Pella and served as yesterday's Twitter teaser following (our twitter’s manager) Vespasian's stream.
E2rdWj_3qNK_FAtBdSWWXT41EiHka-AJNHk_BYxSFAbAOBxjLxdDTKAhaJpfTtsx2Jgg2CiiZyvU1sDo-WJOz9VZfFoUn6PYrwKll4ZEbb2P8DJPVp1vcB7_PB8Wxu9xnEH-jDtv

The main goal of the tree will be expansion into Thrace and Moesia, thus the first central mission will give you the opportunity to gain Thracian subjects by “convincing” them to defect while giving Thrace the opportunity to retaliate. The final goal will be to gain control over all lands on the southern bank of the Danube and to the western side of the Bosporus. There’s more to come in the future, but that’s all I’ll be sharing today.

Illyrian Deities

Likewise, one of Macedon’s oldest foes, the Illyrians of the Balkans, are going to get a new set of deities. They get access to 12 new deities for all four categories. Four of our new deities are shown in the screenshot below:

wxbh4miEEAB-PGMenuDFHilG5LfU09AAA3hBcIdPrR9Ykp71bryVj3XAwcQWRimFrvKVIGWcyAZWJDvaCER4uPJO1Urcxt8MrJTC0YGm2PS2vR3rDf5FMMKXKD9cjL95-cO-npE1

The Illyrians didn’t have a unified or uniform pantheon; the only consistent themes were the worship of the sun / a sun god, which is sometimes named Tadenus (though this name might have been only used by some select Illyrians). Another common feature in the Illyrian pantheon in southern Illyria is the worship of snakes, manifesting in the tribal names referring to such beasts or devouring (like a snake). Such snakes with claws were called “ceti” (sg. “cetus”) by the ancient authors and were a popular theme in the southern part of Illyria, so e.g. the names of Dracon and Dracaena, a divine cetacean couple, were passed down to us.

Other new deities include Anzotica (the Liburnian Venus), Deipaturos (the Taulantian Zeus allfather), Thana (the Pannonian Diana) accompanied by Vidasus (a combination of Liber, Silvanus and Pan) and Bindus (the Iapodian and Liburnian Poseidon).

These deities, however, do not apply for the Messapians, the Illyrians who crossed the Adriatic and settled in southern Italy. For them Greek deities are attested, only with slight name changes; Zis for Zeus, Damater for Demeter and Aprodita Lahona for Aphrodite. Therefore, the Messapians get those three renamed deities as well as the Greek names, as the slightly modified names of other deities sadly weren’t recorded. Finally, we’ll end with a minor change for the Rhaetians, who get to use the Etruscan deity names, as both spoke Tyrsenian languages, and no unique Rhaetian deity names were (so far) recovered.

If the talk of Messapians piqued your interest on the relationship between Greeks and ‘barbarians’, you’ll be sure to enjoy next weeks dev diary, where you’ll be introduced to this event:

W2yUk80f5wLbLorccqfkpZfPnjVUw2u6AKglbJ1zPd8X06qDEOLYRPzaZY3FVS6RhsLz1WbfQ1Nbg7_cxS0lHBj5FQbmrJdS62GT0I789tpud5ls6oJlcwA3MCGHIAJ9njiK0fdx

Lastly, we'd like to welcome to the Invictus team: traced_169, Erik_G, Chehrazad, and sealionforever

• 38Like
  • 32Love
Reactions:
Quite a meaty DD with lovely graphics. The teaser looks... interesting (and probaly worrying for the Greeks, if those grey armies should be evil-minded ;) )

---

Just a random idea what could be another area Imperator Invictus could target: Characters, or to be more precise - their traits. No worries, I'm not coming with something around trying to turn this into CK3. Following the mods guideline to stay close to vanilla, I'm not even arguing for greatly changing the traits - I think it would already a great addition to the game, if some more of them could be defined as opposites and be prevented this way to appear for the same character. Currently, for my taste there are just too many odd combinations - and especially for the ruling character the game often just simply seems to draw a random trait, just because (s)he has less the the maximum number. My goal is not to completely eliminate "janus-headed" characters with good and evil traits (thats fine and spices the game up), but e.g. it is hard for me to grasp, why Cruel - Merciful and Harsh - Benefactor are strict opposites, while Harsh+Merciful or Cruel+Benefactor are fine for the game.

If that is in principle something fitting for the mod, I would be gladly singling out the combos I would like get rid off. The inspiration for this idea is BTW - beside running too often in odd in game characters - this (currently outdated) mod in the workshop (which does though beyond that by changing traits, what I don't consider as necessary): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723189257&searchtext=

• 4Like
Reactions:
Kudos for the DD in general.

I like the backgrounds, they give characters a sense of belonging. It is a pitty that most of them will be located in your capital. I would like holdings to be permanent jobs for characters outside the government. If heads of family accrued all base power of their family, there will be no need to concentrate all holdings on them. You even could make family feuds, where some characters will not give their power base due to political or traits uncompatibilities with the head of the family.

Anyway, great DD! Everything you give us is mana! (Oops!)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
That's cool, but I also would like to have smth for tribes. In dev diaries about Marius update developers wrote that they would think some interisting trops mechanics, but its just levies on release.

Reactions:
That's cool, but I also would like to have smth for tribes. In dev diaries about Marius update developers wrote that they would think some interisting trops mechanics, but its just levies on release.
Come join the discord and propose your ideas concretely and directly to the mod devs!

Hi there, a quick question to the mod devs. How come you prefer discord to the forums in order to set up the mods community? I am new to discord (just created an account there) so I don't know what additional features it provides. Wouldn't a dedicated subforum in the User mods subforum give the highest visibility to the mod?

Hello there , Discord helps more to respond to any questions quicker and its also easier to organise our server in a way that provides easier coordination between the devs without giving more bread to the fans than we should for the time being ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi there, a quick question to the mod devs. How come you prefer discord to the forums in order to set up the mods community? I am new to discord (just created an account there) so I don't know what additional features it provides. Wouldn't a dedicated subforum in the User mods subforum give the highest visibility to the mod?
We check the forums as well and if you'd prefer to respond here, that's totally fine! Discord is better for back-and-forth prolonged discussions, but post wherever you're most comfortable. (DD's also come out as Reddit posts on r/Imperator).

• 1Like
Reactions: