• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #214: Announcing “The Custodians” initiative and the free Lem Update

Greetings!

Today I am here to announce some very good news! Stellaris is not slowing down, but rather picking up the pace! We at PDS Green are very happy to announce our new “Custodians” initiative as well as the next free update, coming sometime after summer.

The Custodian Team
Stellaris as a game has been very exploratory, and the game has seen a lot of big changes over the years. I want to start by giving some insight into why we’ve chosen to focus on this initiative.

As we’ve released more expansions we’ve had to take longer and longer between each release, as we’ve needed to spend more time on focusing on quality, making sure each release is as stable as possible. Paradox Development Studio also looks very different today vs. how it looked just a few years ago. Things take longer, there are more processes in place, and there are a lot more people involved. Because each release is now further apart, it makes it harder for us to address some of the outstanding issues that might be affecting the community between DLC releases.

As we’ve added more content it's also been harder to polish and maintain all of the amazing existing content that we’ve added over the years. We want to keep creating new cool experiences for Stellaris, but we also want to be able to maintain a high quality for the base game itself, and for older content.

What we have done now is that we’ve staffed up, and split the Stellaris team into two teams that focus on different aspects of the game. One team, that we call “the Custodians” team, will focus on free updates that we aim to release every 3 months, while the “expansion team” will focus on creating new content for the game.

Examples of what “The Custodians” could be working on:
  • Tweaking game balance
  • Adding new content to old DLC
  • Polishing existing content
  • Bug fixes
  • Performance improvements
  • AI improvements
  • Multiplayer stability
  • UI and quality-of-life improvements

This does not mean that the game will suddenly “be fixed” or done (whatever that means). Together with you, the community, we now have a better opportunity than ever to keep improving the game. In fact, I think working with the community is going to be crucial to really make this work well. We are going to need to improve how we communicate with each other, so that we can better understand each other.

What “The Custodians” initiative is not
It is very important that you understand that “The Custodians” initiative is no magic bullet or quick fix. We’re in this for the long run, and we hope you are too.

We will need to manage our expectations and small, incremental improvements with more regular updates should be our approach.

Honoring Stanislaw Lem
The first free Update, the Lem Update, will be named in honor of the Polish sci-fi author Stanislaw Lem, whose 100th anniversary is being celebrated this year. Stanislaw Lem is famous for works such as Solaris, which has already inspired the Stellaris you know today. The Lem Update is currently scheduled for release sometime after summer.

To set expectations more clearly, the Lem Update will be a bit more ambitious and larger in scope compared to what you can come to expect from “Custodian” updates in the future. The reason is that we’ve had a longer time to work on it than what is planned for future updates. It’s also important to note that as of now, the Lem update is scheduled to be a standalone free update, and will not be associated with a paid DLC.

The Lem Update planned features:
  • Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
  • Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
  • Balance Pass: We will be doing a balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
  • And more..!: Quality of life improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements...

We will go into more detail about these features in future dev diaries, but for now I will leave it at that. We’ll be back next week to talk a bit about some thoughts regarding game balance.

1622707516974.png

No longer will your empire have to suffer the mediocrity of artisans.

• 498Love
  • 260Like
Reactions:
I do find that sometimes when the community does these things, people comment on assuming we're watching when we're not, and could potentially hamper people offering their opinions when we're asking for them and actively collecting them, because they've voiced their opinion on the matter once already in a thread we weren't actively watching.

But that's just my 2 cents. :D
True. Do you guys even read the suggestion forum?

link for everyone who never heard of it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forums/stellaris-suggestions.943/

• 7Like
Reactions:
That's very nice to hear! Didn't want to sound rude if that came across the wrong way, I always just wondered if people actually go look in there because I never saw responses or anything.

Don't reply to as much as we'd like to, but we do read the suggestions.

• 8Like
Reactions:
  • Balance Pass: We will be doing a balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
Please buff under-powered Civics. There are so many that only ever get taken by "true roleplayers", while the rest of us who have an eye towards the game mechanics want to take them some of the time but never do, becaues they just absolutely under-perform relative to the Civic baseline.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

Today I am here to announce some very good news! Stellaris is not slowing down, but rather picking up the pace! We at PDS Green are very happy to announce our new “Custodians” initiative as well as the next free update, coming sometime after summer.

The Custodian Team
Stellaris as a game has been very exploratory, and the game has seen a lot of big changes over the years. I want to start by giving some insight into why we’ve chosen to focus on this initiative.

As we’ve released more expansions we’ve had to take longer and longer between each release, as we’ve needed to spend more time on focusing on quality, making sure each release is as stable as possible. Paradox Development Studio also looks very different today vs. how it looked just a few years ago. Things take longer, there are more processes in place, and there are a lot more people involved. Because each release is now further apart, it makes it harder for us to address some of the outstanding issues that might be affecting the community between DLC releases.

As we’ve added more content it's also been harder to polish and maintain all of the amazing existing content that we’ve added over the years. We want to keep creating new cool experiences for Stellaris, but we also want to be able to maintain a high quality for the base game itself, and for older content.

What we have done now is that we’ve staffed up, and split the Stellaris team into two teams that focus on different aspects of the game. One team, that we call “the Custodians” team, will focus on free updates that we aim to release every 3 months, while the “expansion team” will focus on creating new content for the game.

Examples of what “The Custodians” could be working on:
  • Tweaking game balance
  • Adding new content to old DLC
  • Polishing existing content
  • Bug fixes
  • Performance improvements
  • AI improvements
  • Multiplayer stability
  • UI and quality-of-life improvements

This does not mean that the game will suddenly “be fixed” or done (whatever that means). Together with you, the community, we now have a better opportunity than ever to keep improving the game. In fact, I think working with the community is going to be crucial to really make this work well. We are going to need to improve how we communicate with each other, so that we can better understand each other.

What “The Custodians” initiative is not
It is very important that you understand that “The Custodians” initiative is no magic bullet or quick fix. We’re in this for the long run, and we hope you are too.

We will need to manage our expectations and small, incremental improvements with more regular updates should be our approach.

Honoring Stanislaw Lem
The first free Update, the Lem Update, will be named in honor of the Polish sci-fi author Stanislaw Lem, whose 100th anniversary is being celebrated this year. Stanislaw Lem is famous for works such as Solaris, which has already inspired the Stellaris you know today. The Lem Update is currently scheduled for release sometime after summer.

To set expectations more clearly, the Lem Update will be a bit more ambitious and larger in scope compared to what you can come to expect from “Custodian” updates in the future. The reason is that we’ve had a longer time to work on it than what is planned for future updates. It’s also important to note that as of now, the Lem update is scheduled to be a standalone free update, and will not be associated with a paid DLC.

The Lem Update planned features:
  • Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
  • Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
  • And more..!: Quality of life improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements...

We will go into more detail about these features in future dev diaries, but for now I will leave it at that. We’ll be back next week to talk a bit about some thoughts regarding game balance.

View attachment 727351
No longer will your empire have to suffer the mediocrity of artisans.
Amazing. Hopefully there's some communication between the two teams, so that expansions will fit well with current content, rather than the custodians scrambling after the complaints come in.

Exactly so. To be effective, we can't have the Custodians showered with all kinds of balance feedback, suggestions or requests for improvements. If we could get to a place where the community can discuss those issues among yourselves and come up with a prioritized list its easier. I'd really want to be able to have some sort of voting for issues, similar to how Minecraft has an open issue log. We're not quite yet there tho, so we'll need to together figure out how to proceed.
I know that this game is often looked upon poorly in wider gaming circles, but the team that makes Star Citizen has something that they call The Issue Council. It’s mostly used for triaging bug fixes, but something similar with forum users voting on important balance or feature changes could work well.

One thing I wish to be adressed is the remaining overflow bugs, like ships self-destructing if their hull overflows, or eroding to oblivion if their regeneration overflows.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I officially appoint Grekulf as god emperor of the galaxy.

You're the best, this is going to be a Stellaris dream.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nice to see Stellaris is getting some long overdue maintenance and updates to old DLC in need of some love.

Reactions:
This is huge!

I really hope that plantoids get something like .5 energy .5 food/mineral upkeep rather than just energy upkeep.

There's so many little spots in the old DLC I never expected to get a fresh coat of paint. Hope you guys can look at some old anomalies and update their options to be more interesting than 'do event or don't do event'.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is great news!

My personal quality of life wishlist for our new "custodian" overlords (TL;DR):
  1. Give us manual control of adding/removing systems from sectors again
  2. Let us control/disable different types of notifications, like we can in other Paradox games
  3. Science ships set to auto-survey systems should prioritize on systems near my borders, not jumping through wormholes to the other side of the galaxy
  4. Generally: Let us automate the tedious busywork, but not need to trust the judgement of the A.I.

1. Manual control of sectors

I just want to be able to control the shape of my sectors. Nothing drives me more crazy in this game than trying to get one specific system into a specific sector, or remove one system from a sector I don't want it to be in. Having no control over how sectors are determined results in awkward, frustrating alignments. it's especially frustrating because this was something we used to be able to do.

I think I understand that the reason from taking this control away was wanting to limit the player's able to create super sectors, or have every system in the core sector. That's fine with me; you can keep a hard limit on how many systems are in a sector. I just want to be able to fine tune them by adding/removing systems up to that cap when necessary.

2. Control over notifications

I just want to get a grip on all the notification spam. I don't need to know each time an individual defense platform is upgraded. I don't need to know each time some backwater system is surveyed by my automated science ships. Let me disable these so they stop cluttering up the UI, instead of dismissing each one individually.

3. Auto-survey should prioritize un-surveyed systems near my borders first

Every game I build a fleet of science ships, and, as soon as I can, I set them to auto-survey systems. A while later I'll notice a bunch of systems nearby I might want to expand to and see they're still not surveyed. I'll look for my science ships and find them on the other side of the galaxy. That's because they've all decided to jump through a nearby wormhole and prioritize systems on the other side of it.

I would much rather my science ships focus on the un-surveyed systems closest to my borders.

4. More automation, but less relying on the A.I.'s judgement

This is a much more general/philosophical thing, but what makes Stellaris tedious is that so much micromanagement could be automated, but relying on automation right now means giving up too much control.

What I mean by that: I don't like to hand the reigns of sector management to the A.I., because I don't trust it not to screw things up by making dumb/bad choices of how to build up my colonized planets that I'll only have to fix later. However, micromanaging every planet is equally tedious.

My ideal solution is to automate repetitive tasks without needing to rely on the A.I.'s judgment.

For example: It would be easier to set a template ahead of time for specialized planets. I want to tell the A.I. exactly what to build, in what order, and then let it do that automatically over time for each planet I assign that template. Instead of relying on the A.I.'s judgement in deciding what to build, I just want it to follow very specific instructions I've left for it. If a problem comes up, then alert me and I'll investigate the log-jam. But otherwise, just follow these specific instructions/template I have set and have control over.

Similarly: Just like I have my science ships automatically survey systems, why not let me tell my construction ships to automatically build mining/research stations throughout my space? Doing it manually is tedious and time consuming.

It's great that we can now automate research! It would be even better, though, if we could tell the A.I. to follow/prioritize a specific path of tech development.

Upgrading starbases: Let me tell you exactly the build order I have in mind for station modules with a template, then let me upgrade them with one click, instead of five or six over time.

Basically, I want to automate the tedious/repetitive tasks I'm doing as a player, but not have the A.I. make decisions or judgement calls on my behalf.

Anyway, my personal wishlist aside, this is great news and I'm looking forward to the future of Stellaris!

• 8Like
Reactions:
New features for the humanoids and plantoid packs? Awesome! Now I won't feel like a schmuck for drunk-buying Plantoids!

...okay, its portraits are pretty good, but no denying it's underwhelming at its price point, especially compared to Necroids and Lithoids. Looking forward to seeing what gets added to it.

This is exactly the kind of long-term support initiative I've wanted to hear about.

Personally my favorite part about this is the new/updated civics. To me, civics represent the most important aspects of an empire for RP, and they are also the best place to slightly alter gameplay in interesting ways. So a team that can go through to update more civics with a Warrior Culture treatment is amazing, and adding stuff to past DLCs means that Hives, Machines, and Megacorps can finally get the civics they've been desperate for.

Reactions:
By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
I think I might have also heard people saying Void Dweller Hive Minds (those people are me).

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's definately one of the things that need improvement. The currently the only decision those trees offered was what order you took them on your way to completing all 7.

I wonder how many "trees" will be enough to choose from? And I might consider 5 (or less) choosable trees adequate if they were significantly enlarged.

Reactions: