• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #2 - Capacities

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello and welcome back to another Victoria 3 dev diary! Today we will be talking about three of the four of the main ‘currencies’ of the game - namely Capacities (the last being Money, which we’ll of course come back to later).

We mentioned in the very first dev diary that there is no ‘mana’ in Victoria 3, and since this dev diary is about the game’s “currencies”, I want to be clear on what I mean by that. When we say there is “no mana” we mean that the resources in Victoria 3 arise and are spent in clearly defined ways that are parts of the simulation, not from an overly abstract concept or vague idea. There is, of course, some degree of abstraction involved (all games are abstractions after all), but we want all the game’s currencies to be strongly rooted in the mechanics and not feel arbitrary.

But enough about that and onto Capacities. What exactly are they?

Well, for starters, calling them currencies is actually not accurate. Capacities are not a pooled resource and are not accumulated or spent, but instead, have a constant generation and a constant usage (similar to for example Administrative Capacity in Stellaris), and you generally want to keep your usage from exceeding your generation. Each capacity represents one specific area of your nation’s ability to govern and is used solely for matters relating to that area.

As mentioned, Capacities are not accumulated, so excess generation is not pooled, but instead there is an effect for each Capacity which is positive if generation exceeds usage and quite negative if usage exceeds generation - a country that incorporates territories left and right without expanding its bureaucratic corps may quickly find itself mired in debt as tax collection collapses under the strain!

Bureaucracy represents a nation’s ability to govern, invest in and collect taxes from its incorporated territory. It is produced by the Government Administration building, where many of a nation’s Bureaucrats will be employed. All of a nation’s Incorporated States use a base amount of Bureaucracy which increases with the size of their population, and further increased by each Institution (such as Education or Police - more on those later!) that a country has invested in. Overall, the purpose of Bureaucracy is to ensure that there is a cost to ruling over, taxing and providing for your population - administrating China should not be cheap!

The Swedish Bureaucracy is currently a bit overworked and the country could certainly benefit from another Government Administration building or two.
bureaucracy.PNG

Authority represents the Head of State’s personal power and ability to enact change in the country through decree. It is generated from your Laws - generally, the more repressive and authoritarian the country, the more Authority it will generate - and is used by a variety of actions such as enacting decrees in specific states, interacting with Interest Groups and promoting or banning certain types of Goods. Overall, the purpose of Authority is to create an interesting trade-off between more and less authoritarian societies - by shifting the distribution of power away from the Pops into the hands of the ruler, your ability to rule by decree is increased, and vice versa.

The Swedish King has more Authority at his disposal than he is currently using, slightly speeding up the rate at which laws can be passed.
authority.PNG

Influence represents a country’s ability to conduct diplomacy and its reach on the global stage. It is generated primarily from your Rank (Great Powers have more Influence than Major Powers and so on) and is used to support ongoing diplomatic actions and pacts, such as Improving Relations, Alliances, Trade Deals, Subjects and so on. Overall, the purpose of Influence is to force players to make interesting choices about which foreign countries they want to build strong diplomatic relationships with.

Sweden has plenty of unused Influence and could certainly afford to support another diplomatic pact or two!
influence.png

That’s all for today! Join us again next week as I cover something yet another topic that’s fundamental to Victoria 3: Buildings. See you then!

• 526Like
  • 119Love
Reactions:
In
Power projection capability. Political capital. Trust. A leader's forceful personality. Hard power. Soft power.

All these things give a nation foreign influence. Intangible and abstract concepts also exist in the real world and are used in the real world to talk about macro level ideas that are not materially existent. Especially when discussing politics, economics, and international relations.
Influence is not real, it is not a capital you can spend. Influence is the amount of power you are able to project and not vice-versa

Reactions:
Different levels of improving relations nonstop?
like 1-5 boosts?from cordial to desperately clingy (you MUST like me)
might be dangerous to NOT have even a minimal embassy with great powers too. Which also suggests a building or even several like ever more palaces in the capital(s) and then embassies.

True, it’s clearly inspired by Stellaris. But given that the POP and resource system is this game is much more complex so will this version of the mechanic. As I pointed out elsewhere, it’s not just building a building. You also have to have an economy that produces the resources (probably paper and maybe some other things) and that provides enough wealth and literacy to POPs to allow them to be promoted to bureaucrats.

Exactly. It's not just pressing "Create Governement Building" and hop!, Bureaucrats will pop out. They will most probably need to purchase different goods as office supplies as well to perform properly, otherwise they won't.

Reactions:
Not sure if it was asked before, but will there be advantages to having less authority?
Or will every government type strive to increase it, just via different means?

Reactions:
Well, for starters, calling them currencies is actually not accurate. Capacities are not a pooled resource and are not accumulated or spent, but instead, have a constant generation and a constant usage (similar to for example Administrative Capacity in Stellaris), and you generally want to keep your usage from exceeding your generation. Each capacity represents one specific area of your nation’s ability to govern and is used solely for matters relating to that area.
Wiz, i love you as a game director, but please don't make comparisons to mechanics that people dislike, nobody likes governing capacity (in its current form) in stellaris, you are inviting unneeded hate for a simple thing, compare it instead to national focuses in VIC 2, things that people don't criticize because of its implementation

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Exactly. It's not just pressing "Create Governement Building" and hop!, Bureaucrats will pop out. They will most probably need to purchase different goods as office supplies as well to perform properly, otherwise they won't.
Correct, both people and goods like paper are needed to run your bureaucracy.

• 71Like
  • 31Love
Reactions:
Not sure if it was asked before, but will there be advantages to having less authority?
*looking at things that generates authority*
I bet the disadvantage of having high authority is the population resetment for laws you have to generate it.

Reactions:
In

Influence is not real, it is not a capital you can spend. Influence is the amount of power you are able to project and not vice-versa
Exists IRL, see soft power.
All aided by cultural excahnge offices. I believe germany calls them goethe centers ;) And ofcourse embassies. tourism if/when that comes around would be another factor. Even visiting students etc exchanges (family tradition as foreign industrialists to get a engineering university degree in berlin technical university since victorias era, me im the broken one messing up a 2 century long tradition)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Primarily your Rank, which is determined by Prestige, which is determined by a combination of other factors. In other words, the more impressive/terrifying the rest of the world thinks you are, the more leeway you get in pushing your weight around on the world stage.

There are other potential sources of Influence as well which also make sense, given what Influence is used for. We absolutely do not want you to feel like the way you get a resource has no relation to how you can allocate that resource.
Thank you, I understand what you are saying but to me influence is not spent, it is a meter of actions/pacts/warring/agreements you perform or are at least are allowed to perform.
Influence is nothing, it does not exist

• 1Haha
Reactions:
True, it’s clearly inspired by Stellaris. But given that the POP and resource system is this game is much more complex so will this version of the mechanic. As I pointed out elsewhere, it’s not just building a building. You also have to have an economy that produces the resources (probably paper and maybe some other things) and that provides enough wealth and literacy to POPs to allow them to be promoted to bureaucrats.
At the moment, the only "complexity" I expect is that with a healthcare system you will also need bureaucrats present at the building to keep it running and to "represent" the growing bureaucracy of the 19th/20th century.

"Ah yes, I'll build 1 (one) hospital for the entirity of East Prussia!"

• 3Like
Reactions:
One concern I have is that more Capacity is always better.

I guess the word Capacity itself already implies that.

But personally, I find far more interesting if this system allowed for nuance. Where both high and low capacity came with bonus and penalties.

This would mean that, depending on the nation I want to craft, a low Capacity may actually be beneficial and lead to interesting playthroughs.

Reactions:
Correct, both people and goods like paper are needed to run your bureaucracy.

Is there a possibility for the bureaucracy to become a liability? Possibly becoming a powerful interest group, which could become corrupt, overpaid (requiring you to increase their pay and possibly building more buildings for more bureaucrats, even if you don't necessarily need them). Or something to that effect?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Absolute monarchs never actually had absolute power, an absolute monarch without a power base is not going to remain a monarch for much longer. It would perhaps be interesting to always allow laws to attempt to be passed by an absolute monarch but realistically if all power is held by the landowners, trying to pass universal suffrage should result in a rapid coup.
Of course there can and should be a backlash depending on what reform one forced through. An improved school system should probably not cause any trouble if the nation can afford it, but the serfdom or going full democracy example...

Also it would be nice if some repressive buildings (jails, or even courthouses) would increase your authority points.
I disagree because if any government type can build things and have high authority, during the late game we would lose one of the main differences between democratic and autocratic governments, late game both would have high authority, and if the same design philosophy is applied to every aspect of the game the difference between government types late game would become cosmetic flavor.
We should have have different trade-offs, governments with low authority should be viable and have different bonus when compared with autocratic governments, they should not have just some alternative way to generete authority.

Asymmetric balance is the game design philosophy I hope is being used in Vic 3.

Reactions:
It looks from the description and the picture that Bureaucratic Capacity is based on the Government Administration building and not the number of Bureaucrats working there. What if we have the building, but no Bureaucrat Pops?
i think the building's tooltip is showing the product of the pop work as a way to make it easier to visualize

Reactions: