• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #2 - Capacities

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello and welcome back to another Victoria 3 dev diary! Today we will be talking about three of the four of the main ‘currencies’ of the game - namely Capacities (the last being Money, which we’ll of course come back to later).

We mentioned in the very first dev diary that there is no ‘mana’ in Victoria 3, and since this dev diary is about the game’s “currencies”, I want to be clear on what I mean by that. When we say there is “no mana” we mean that the resources in Victoria 3 arise and are spent in clearly defined ways that are parts of the simulation, not from an overly abstract concept or vague idea. There is, of course, some degree of abstraction involved (all games are abstractions after all), but we want all the game’s currencies to be strongly rooted in the mechanics and not feel arbitrary.

But enough about that and onto Capacities. What exactly are they?

Well, for starters, calling them currencies is actually not accurate. Capacities are not a pooled resource and are not accumulated or spent, but instead, have a constant generation and a constant usage (similar to for example Administrative Capacity in Stellaris), and you generally want to keep your usage from exceeding your generation. Each capacity represents one specific area of your nation’s ability to govern and is used solely for matters relating to that area.

As mentioned, Capacities are not accumulated, so excess generation is not pooled, but instead there is an effect for each Capacity which is positive if generation exceeds usage and quite negative if usage exceeds generation - a country that incorporates territories left and right without expanding its bureaucratic corps may quickly find itself mired in debt as tax collection collapses under the strain!

Bureaucracy represents a nation’s ability to govern, invest in and collect taxes from its incorporated territory. It is produced by the Government Administration building, where many of a nation’s Bureaucrats will be employed. All of a nation’s Incorporated States use a base amount of Bureaucracy which increases with the size of their population, and further increased by each Institution (such as Education or Police - more on those later!) that a country has invested in. Overall, the purpose of Bureaucracy is to ensure that there is a cost to ruling over, taxing and providing for your population - administrating China should not be cheap!

The Swedish Bureaucracy is currently a bit overworked and the country could certainly benefit from another Government Administration building or two.
bureaucracy.PNG

Authority represents the Head of State’s personal power and ability to enact change in the country through decree. It is generated from your Laws - generally, the more repressive and authoritarian the country, the more Authority it will generate - and is used by a variety of actions such as enacting decrees in specific states, interacting with Interest Groups and promoting or banning certain types of Goods. Overall, the purpose of Authority is to create an interesting trade-off between more and less authoritarian societies - by shifting the distribution of power away from the Pops into the hands of the ruler, your ability to rule by decree is increased, and vice versa.

The Swedish King has more Authority at his disposal than he is currently using, slightly speeding up the rate at which laws can be passed.
authority.PNG

Influence represents a country’s ability to conduct diplomacy and its reach on the global stage. It is generated primarily from your Rank (Great Powers have more Influence than Major Powers and so on) and is used to support ongoing diplomatic actions and pacts, such as Improving Relations, Alliances, Trade Deals, Subjects and so on. Overall, the purpose of Influence is to force players to make interesting choices about which foreign countries they want to build strong diplomatic relationships with.

Sweden has plenty of unused Influence and could certainly afford to support another diplomatic pact or two!
influence.png

That’s all for today! Join us again next week as I cover something yet another topic that’s fundamental to Victoria 3: Buildings. See you then!

• 526Like
  • 119Love
Reactions:
Did you say..

1622738500633.png

Ruler traits?

Finally time of CK2->HoI4 immortal god emperors. Thank you!

• 18Like
  • 14Haha
Reactions:
  • 28Haha
  • 7Like
Reactions:
I love these changes and think they perfectly represent and properly abstract the constraints nations faced during this time, and even today. This is a good way to check your country’s temperature and see how it’s holding up. This in no way can classify as mana as you don’t spend these values. You impact them through your actions, but you cannot spend them. Love it!

• 3Like
Reactions:
What would it need to look like for you to not be considered mana?
What do you mean? If it was for me, these things would be entirely scrapped...
I dont consider having enough bureaucrats to run states efficiently mana, for example.

Maybe there must be something to represent a worthy or useless head of state or diplomatic corps...but I am not sure about that either

• 1Like
Reactions:
This feels like a really abstract, arbitrary mana system that will take away from the simulation appeal that makes Victoria special.
I don't see it as any more abstract then Vicky 2. Diplomatic points and influence generations was really abstract and diplomatic points the most man thing you could imagine.

edit

oh yeah, and focus points of course

• 2Like
Reactions:
This isn't at all like mana you fools! Now if you want to maintain your infrastructure, make sure you build enough wizard towers to employ the necessary number of wizards you need to maintain all your road maintenance spells.

• 20Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Exactly what I’m thinking - I can’t imagine any system that’s isn’t mana, if this is mana
Yeah, this is really at its core just a worker management-based mechanic. If that's mana, then pretty much every game, computer or board, is mana.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Bureaucracy definitely seems really good. I think it could be super interesting ,and I'm guessing a big part of the early game for many of the larger empires will be building your bureaucracy up to handle your weight. I'm a bit more iffy on the other two, but I'll wait and see.

We're going to delve more into buildings next week, but you can think of building a Government Administration as essentially creating the offices, logistics etc for your bureaucrats - without it they can't do their jobs, but you still need qualified, literate pops to take those jobs and without them it's just an empty complex doing nothing. All buildings work like this in Victoria 3, including ports and railroads (which did not need pops to function in V2). You even need to employ pops to construct things for you in V3.
Can I ask you if buildings take a slot of some sort?

• 6Like
Reactions:
It’s clearly not just building a building, man. As Wiz said, you need bureaucrat pops to work the buildings, which requires literacy, goods, and wealth to promote pops up to that level.

Also, you’ll need whatever resource bureaucrats consume in the building. Probably paper, I’d guess, which would explain why China had a paper shortage in those screenshots that got released.
and how do you get the paper? By building a paper mill.

They’ve already said that buying buildings is the “core loop of the game”

Yeah, this is really at its core just a worker management-based mechanic. If that's mana, then pretty much every game, computer or board, is mana.
every game IS mana. It's just the mana system in eu4 and 1.0 imperator isn't fun, because it's pooled and overly abstract. I for one, hope to never hear the word again. Systems should be judged on their merits.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I am a bit confused by Bureaucracy since in Victoria 2 it was based on how many bureaucrat pops you had to govern your states and how much funding you gave them. But here its based on a building you have in your capital city?

I strongly suspect that in this game, all buildings are factory-like: they need their inputs and workforces to generate their outputs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another thing that I'm not too big of a fan is the flat bonuses from laws. "+50 from Freedom of Assembly" feels off. Why should it increase anything? More than anything it should influence the happiness of pops and those pops being happy or not should influence the capacities.

I really don't want to see something Rimworld-ish: "+50 ate good lunch, -25 family kidnapped".

That said - the system itself (the capacities that is) looks great. I like the fuel system in HoI4, the progress/fillbar always felt "authentic" to me without being too micro-heavy.

• 6Like
Reactions: