• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Q&A.png

Hi all!

During PDXCON we ran a Q&A with members of the HOI team about HOIs development over the last 5 years as well as about the coming DLC No Step Back! Here's the transcript:

PDX Bot
BOT
— 22/05/2021
Question by @Adrianator2!
Question
Will we get Flamethrowers for tanks in new designer ?
Answer
We have it high on our list of improvements to do during the polish period, and I think we have a pretty good way of doing it, but no firm promises at this point.
Answered by
@Gabriel "Archangel85" Blum

Question by @LGCydel!
Question
how does Daniel keep his hair so impeccable?
Answer
I groom his hair every morning, its lots of Olive oil and shampoo
Answered by
@CraniumMuppet

Question by @UWU™✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ!
Question
Will Italy get a better focus tree?
Answer
yes, eventually. It is the last outstanding major that still has its release tree, and it is really starting to show its age. No ETA at this point.
Answered by

Question by @crime100!
Question
Can you capture enemy supply depots and how will air supply work?
Answer
Enemy hubs are capturable yeah. it takes time to convert railsways to them so its not instant
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Bloxerbot!
Question
Do you plan on adding Mulberry Harbours into the game?
Answer
yes :3 but details will be in diaries
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @WelshStalker!
Question
"Will The Amazon have impassable terrains, forcing players into a channel where the rivers are etc?"
Answer
We are not planning on making major changes to the terrain of South America for now. We may look at making changes in some future South American content pack.
Answered by
@kg

Question by @Panzer!
Question
Will you be majorly changing production costs for tanks or will a heavy tank cost 2 production more since it has a better gun
Answer
tanks will probably cost a bit more, but it depends on what you put on it. Think of a heavy tank more as a "heavy tank chassi" and whatever gun etc you put on will also determine its cost
Answered by
@CraniumMuppet

Question by @HEKOHEKOHE3HAMKO!
Question
will peace conferences be updated?
Answer
not this DLC no. but its on our
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @mmk!
Question
will Nordic countries get their own focus trees?
Answer
Scandinavia (including Finland and Denmark) has long been on the list of country packs to do "at some point", because it has a very strong theme going for it (something something "Finland's cause is ours"). But right now there is no firm plan on where it will fit into the future release lineup (we rarely plan much beyond the current DLC)
Answered by

Question by @Elinweth!
Question
Will we see more designers like Plane Designer or Equipment Designer?
Answer
if the GD will let me, I would like to do a Plane designer!
Answered by

Question by @Wilhelm The Finnish II!
Question
will trains be produced via Civillian factories instead of military factories as they are a civillian good?
Answer
trains are built using mil. fits more in as a tradeoff there and they are used for war puproses
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @mmk!
Question
will there be a possibility to transfer units faster on river?
Answer
Rivers will act similar to railways for supply distribution. But units will not move faster when they move along river.
Answered by
<@721426612448395395>

Question
DD about railroads spoke about bulding new railways in places like asia. How will they be decided will you be able to pick where it goes or will it be predetermined?
Answer
You will be able to build railways across any province of your choosing. Routes will then follow provinces you have laid rails on
Answered by
@kg

Question by @Dryhad!
Question
Are you likely to go back and rework the Together for Victory focus trees?
Answer
"likely" would be a very strong word, but the CD department has opinionsabout the TfV focus trees. We will have to see how we can fit it into the production schedule
Answered by

Question by @Nixik!
Question
Will strategic bombing affect railways, or will we get a specific order? Also, will the animation of strategic/tactical - bombers (and CAS) interact with the moving trains, or if nothing else the railways? What ways will we have to sabotage/destroy enemy railways etc
Answer
we have some special missions for air attacks on trains, and strat bombing affects railways as well as trains
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @icelordcryo!
Question
any plans for more monarchist focus trees that you're allowed to disclose?
Answer
No. We are not announcing any new content here.
Answered by
@kg

Question by @eskipotato!
Question
What is your favorite mechanic in HOI4?
Answer
the new tank designer. Otherwise probably fuel
Answered by
@CraniumMuppet

Question by @David2908!
Question
What is planned for balancing out the Soviet Union in the new DLC ? And are you going to be mainly focusing on historical focuses for Russia or will it be just half and half.
Answer
you'll have to wait a bit for diaries to show soviet details, but the pre-war stuff is a lot more involved now
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Froozigiusz!
Question
Are there any plans for content packs made by creators?
Answer
not atm, but its an interesting topic fo rsure
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @nipponphilia!
Question
Will there be any changes to how the AI is responding towards a frontline order in a zone that is without supply? Like in the current game, AI would refuse to move the units to zones without enough supply. But if we can have an option to force our troops to enter the zone regardless of the supply then it will be nice. I know the new dlc would be focusing on supply too so I hope this issue will be tackled, otherwise the frontline would always have numerous holes and enemy AI can just sneak through them.
Answer
Yeah, this AI behaviour is something we have run into while developing the new supply system and is something that will get looked into. Exactly how it's gonna work is still under development though :wink:
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @想象一下使用翻译器!
Question
are there any plans for expanding the importance of tactics?
Answer
Yes. We are looking into expanding the potential impact of tactics
Answered by
@kg

Question by @LilleSkud!
Question
How will the new tank designer, impact the AI's tanks/Strategy?
Answer
the AI has lists of templates that it will try to create. these are reactive, so it knows that it has to uparmor its tanks if it is at war with someone who can field tank destroyers etc. It does fairly well in testing, although it seems to be a bit too cavalier with reliability at the moment. We will continue tweaking it up until release
Answered by

Question by @LGCydel!
Question
With the confirmation of no Finnish tree, will the Winter War/Continuation War get any expanded content?
Answer
we'll tackle that when we get to soviet dodges
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Abbus (edited)!
Question
Will paradox encourage modding community with beta support, prizes or even cooperation?
Answer
we already do a fair amount of that. A lot of time is spent on it and we help modders with issues etc regularly. That said its an area we definitly wanna improve on in the future
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Panzer!
Question
so how do tanks bonuses work? Is the treaty with USSR as germany give me an artillery research bonus for the gun or only the chassis?
Answer
The treaty with the USSR actually gives you bonuses to medium tank chassis research, but if you already have basic chassis researched, it will give you full designs for the Panzer III and Panzer IV (it also gives the Soviets designs for the A-20 and the KV-1). Beyond that, most research bonuses are by category instead of by specific tech
Answered by

Question by @Kosaki_MacTavish!
Question
"Dear, Developers, so i want to ask regarding AI Frontline Bunching, the phenomenon when a bunch of unecessary divisions sucking up the supply in the frontline and disturbing your plans. Would the issue be addressed in Barbarossa Patch?"
Answer
As part of the new supply system we are making changes to the AI so that it is able to use the new system. Along with this we are also looking at various issues with the AI and improvements we can do as we do this rework. As we are currently in the middle of this I'm afraid I we can't share any more specific information.
Answered by
<@721426612448395395>

Question by @İsa TEMÜR | 19!
Question
Any plans to expand or rework conversion system ?
Answer
Not for now. Some of the functionality with work out slightly differently with the new tank designer. However, the conversion system will more or less stay the same as it works now.
Answered by
@kg

Question by @GalaxyWars19!
Question
will spies be able to sabotage the railroads and trains?
Answer
not specifically but as part of other sabotage
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Kristodaddy!
Question
best country in hoi4?
Answer
Tannu Tuva. Is anyone even playing anything else?
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @WokenOneHarvey!
Question
When you design focus trees whats your source of information while building them and which country was the most challanging in past. Is there any country that you push back in time because it has hard story to tell.
Answer
So for me personally, and when posible, I like to read some history books about the country I'm going to work on beforehand, and then I spend quite some time doing as thorough a research as possible, I always try to prio on local sources from the countries I'm researching when possible. So far I've been lucky that I've been able to at least barely understand the languages I've researched.
I'd say that the more you research the about a country, the more ideas that come to mind and the easier it is to make a storyline. For Bulgaria for example, it was quite interesting to read about all that political and social struggle, as well as the Fatherland Front and all the conflicts that Bulgaria was involved into during the 20th century!
Answered by
@mano de Zombi

Question by @mmk!
Question
will "strategic relocation" option be enabled only on railways and not everywhere as it was before?
Answer
we are looking into it. if it turns out ok thats our plan, but we'll see how it goes
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Carlos II!
Question
will you change anything multiplayer related?
Answer
Yes :shushing_face:
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @RagnoStrangeros!
Question
would there be a way for landlocked nations to get convoys to use for their rivers
Answer
you dont need convoys for rivers.. they have some offmap abstraction (eg steal local stuff?)
Answered by
@podcat

Question
If I might ask - are you aware of the freeze bug in on_war_relation_added? Currently trying to fire any events with this on action freezes the game
Answer
We were not aware, but we will investigate on Monday. thanks for the heads up!
Answered by

Question by @Panda_!
Question
How complex will the new combat width system be and how complex will the new supply system be?
Answer
What you probably will see is that different combat width will have different efficiency depending on terrain, as there is no "this is a good width for every terrain". So for example you might want to have a specific combat width if you plan to fight a lot in plains, or another if you plan to fight a lot in forests. Supply system is a total rewrite and will lead to lots of new stuff that the community will need to figure out :slight_smile:
Answered by
@CraniumMuppet

Question by @Hovelax!
Question
would you ever consider reworking/adding to nuclear bombs and other end game weapons - (ww2 going beyond 1945 might lead to some global devestation)
Answer
yeah I expect some day we will change up nukes. feels like a wunderwaffen thing :3
Answered by
@podcat

Question by @Corbalte!
Question
Will Belgium get a focus three in the future as it is the last secondary power in the region that did not get one and was kind of more relevant than the Netherlands during the war ?
Answer
We havent figured out where belgium fits exactly yet, but its our ambition to cover as many nations as possible in future
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Clementine Connoisseur!
Question
As we know russians have different track size than other countries will this influence supply or something else?
Answer
there is a cooldown on taking over enemy railroads. We might give the Soviets a national spirit that increases that time for other countries who try to take over Soviet rails. (Dan, you owe me 5 bucks)
Answered by

Question by @SirPentes the Third!
Question
will there be coal for trains and synthetic refineries?
Answer
No coal, all trains run on the sheer will of the people
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @Szlachta!
Question
roughly how many techs will be added related to the new supply system
Answer
About 3
Answered by

Question by @4l3x4nd3r!
Question
Currently the Operations from LAR are kind of barebones modding wise, do you have plans on releasing more modding tools for Operations such as being able to target specific operatives and the ability of training Operatives as you want them to do. Making an operative for a specific task?
Answer
Currently there's no plan for it. If there's something that you would like to be able to do, please make a request in the forums, ideally with a specific example. The effort involved in adding specific modding support varies greatly depending on the issue. If there's enough demand for it we can investigate and prioritize the work.
Answered by
<@721426612448395395>

Question by @arctic!
Question
who do you guys work or contract for the lobby pictures of each dlc? they are always top notch and i wonder which artist is to give credit
Answer
We actually make most of that art in house. On occasion we have hired freelance artists but the vast majority are made by the 2D artist on the team. Or sometimes an artist from another part of the company comes by and says "Hey, guys! I would like to make a loading screen for HOI4. Is there a fun theme or event that you would like me to work with?" And then the work begins.
Answered by
<@413243244890161162>

Question by @Voigt!
Question
with doctriens moving away from research, are you planning to revert the research cost changes you did a while back, where you decreased the base cost by 10% on each research?
Answer
We will be doing another pass on research costs now that doctrines have been removed from research. This does not mean bumping up costs to account for doctrines being removed, but maybe finding some middle ground.
Answered by
<@317437874226331650>

Question by @Marcusflo!
Question
will there be any new music?
Answer
Yes... and it's so good
Answered by
@Da9L

Question by @David2908!
Question
so how will the doctrine bonuses work now ?
Answer
The bonuses themselves work the sameish way, its just that they are unlocked via army/navy/air xp now. More info later!
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @Panzer!
Question
Any actual debuffs to Russians to make an immersive eastern front where the Russians have a spirit of "Disorganized Army" for example?
Answer
we'll go through details in soviet diary in future, and yes there will need to be debufs to represent their situation at the time
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @កាបូន26!
Question
What is your favorite soundtrack in game?
Answer
The glorious Comintern music. There is no better music to listen to while fighting a total war.
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @Lord!
Question
What determines what battles get the train arty bombardment modifier? How does a train with artillery move about the map?
Answer
You have to wait for the diary :wink:
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @DaWakandanMan!
Question
What can you tell us about the new peace conferences? Will warscore still be the main way of acquiring land? Do you still have to fully capitulate a nation to end the war?
Answer
It's on the roadmap to improve peace conferences, but it won't come in the DLC. We're not going to talk about details until we are actually going to fix it.
Answered by

Question by @Brutha!
Question
with upcoming soviet focus tree rework, if you will select trotsky, does that mean mexico will not receive exile event anymore or there will be changes on event chains?
Answer
We'll talk more about Trotsky in the future, but since there is no space in this world for 2 Trotskys, if the Soviet Union gets it, then Mexico won't.
Trotsky being in Mexico doesn't necessarily mean that there will be no other people in the opposition left in the Soviet Union :slight_smile:
Answered by
<@689833018407387219>

Question
If two landlocked nations fight inland can they use rivers as supply lines without convoys? Are convoys needed to use river as supply line?
Answer
Rivers are a bit complicated. We played around with the idea of expanding their functionality in a few ways, but the costs of doing most of these things proved to be too high for now. Rivers will work in a similar manner to rails. but the player will need to hold both sides of a river for it to be a valid connection point between supply hubs.
Answered by
<@317437874226331650>

Question by @Monsor!
Question
considering the tank designer, division designer, and now the doctrines relying on army XP, will army xp be getting a rework to handle the cost?
Answer
Yes we will rework the speed and how you get XP :slight_smile:
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @RagnoStrangeros!
Question
*Does new doctrine and infrastructure changes mean that all related content currently in the game will be revamped for it*
Answer
Railroad-related content has been reworked to interact with railroads where possible (like in the Australian focus tree), and all Infrastructure focuses now work on the maximum of 5. But we don't foresee massive reworks of all focus trees.
Answered by

Question by @Panzer!
Question
Will the trains be more on the expensive side so you will have to put of mils on supply to actually keep it going?
Answer
they are pretty pricy, and you'll also want to have a good buffer of trucks, so you do have to invest quite a bit of industry to run a big army effectively
Answered by

Question by @mmk!
Question
will bridges get more importance and destroying them will be more devastating than destroying other railroads?
Answer
we might have some idea but nothing concrete of how it would function. Still to be decided
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @Chewie!
Question
How will uk/france get their xp for doctrines since there isnt really any battle until the ww2
Answer
there is gonna be new non-combat ways to get XP now. we felt it was too war focused
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Rubin!
Question
Dear devs, will there be changes to how the research system works? For example seperate slots for navy, air and land
Answer
no plans right now. The doctrine rework frees up a lot of research time so its easier to keep on top of the research
Answered by

Question by @CoolMan!
Question
hi dear develepors will there be any chance of there being ammo in the game
Answer
It is not likely. Ammo as a resource doesn't really fit into the current level of detail in HoI4. It would function simply as a fail case for the player and AI and an industrial cap tax on active fighting. While we are considering ways to change the various costs and limits imposed upon on army, it will not be this.
Answered by
<@317437874226331650>

Question by @David2908!
Question
how will river crossing work now with the new bridge system ?
Answer
Nothing concrete yet, we have some ideas but its still to be decided
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @Szlachta!
Question
in the screenshots it looks like the supply system is tile by tile instead of by province is that true?
Answer
not sure what you mean by tile here. its province level, but some parts are on state levels
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @YamikoTheShadowEmpress!
Question
Will there be any change to victory points and capitulation requirements?
Answer
nothing specific planned atm
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Àlvar!
Question
Hi, dear Developers. There will be a new rework of Germany including a new ideology branch, like a Communist one or rework for the focus trees of some old DLC's like the Together for Victory one?
Answer
We are not making changes to Germany's focus tree in No Step Back. Stay tuned for upcoming dev diaries to learn about the focus trees we are doing. :smiley:
Answered by
<@721426612448395395>

Question by @WelshStalker!
Question
Will the Soviet Union have a state rework, specifically in the Caucuses, Ukraine, Belarus and on the Finland border?
Answer
We'll have too see :slight_smile:
Answered by
@Da9L

Question by @Cuboid!
Question
Will river crossings work differently and will the trait "Improvisation Expert" have any use other than reducing river crossing penalties by using "Makeshift Bridges" operation from your general?
Answer
We are not planning to change the base functionality of those features with this DLC
Answered by
<@317437874226331650>

Question by @UltDarrSpdr!
Question
Are you planning to add mission trees or special details to a particular region that's not usually explored, like what EU4 did with North America?
Answer
We like to explore areas that are not often depicted in WWII games, like the Middle East, but no concrete plans at this point. I think Iran/Iraq would be a good base for a country pack but places like Italy and Scandinavia would probably be ahead of it in the priority list.
Answered by

Question by @Jev!
Question
How big is the HoI4 team right now? It always feels like the team is very small despite being one of the most successful PDX games
Answer
the team is "lagom" sized
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Xeeeero!
Question
Will the new Barbarossa patch impact the speed of conquest? (Will something like a German conquest of Russia in 41 still be possible or will the railways and other modifiers make that a lot harder?
Answer
It is much more dependent on the weather situation and how well (or bad) you have prepared yourself from a supply point of view. Expect it to not be as easy to steamroll into Russia. :wink:
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @Hugmeimscared!
Question
how will the new xp system work with the chinese debuffs, since they need 100 xp to get rid of theirs?
Answer
we are rebalancing a lot of xp stuff with this
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Nyancat_151!
Question
Will there be a possibility that you can cut off (for example) the Donau (Danube) as germany so other countries that are landlocked, such as austria cant get access to the water, so their factories are slower or even completly turned off
Answer
No.
Answered by

Question by @STACKSOFEMERALD!
Question
Given that this update is largely focused on land warfare, are there any plans to add peace deals if a war is stalemated for a certain period of time? And if not in this update, possibly in a future one?
Answer
For now we will probably be adding a few more scripted white peaces to the game, but in the scope of this DLC we will not change the underlying peace systems. It is, however, something we have discussed at length internally and I would not be surprised if it is changed in the future.
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Aigle2 (S.Vauban)!
Question
Could you make possible the changing of templates in effects (modding). Would be a massive step for us modders !
Answer
Could you make a request for this in the forums with an example how you would want to use it? That will allow us to see how much interest there is in this feature and prioritize the work.
Answered by
<@721426612448395395>

Question
following railroads Question. Since you can pick ever province to build in can you cover entire map with railroad track, or will there be limit per state or maybe costs will grow really fast?
Answer
you can build everywhere altho its wont necessarily be a good idea (or look nice ;D)
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Wilhelm The Finnish II!
Question
will the infantry weapon research tree be changed in some way? it is kind of bland right now
Answer
Nothing that we have planned for this expansion
Answered by
<@572408953930252288>

Question by @Snens!
Question
will railroads have preplaced locations in states or are they generated on top of provinces depending on how you place them?
Answer
they are generated
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Dsavx15!
Question
what changes if any are coming to naval bases with the supply lines being a significant focus in this upcoming dlc?
Answer
They work as before, with the addition that they also act as supply hubs (and provide some supply to nearby units). Any supply routes overseas need go through naval bases and then via railways to supply hubs inland.
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @Stefan67ko!
Question
Hello, i was wondering if you are going to add more formable nations trough decisions that gives you cores on others nation tiles. (like Carphatia for Romania and Hungary, Greater Yugoslavia, Bulgarian Empire etc) ?
Answer
There are some new formable nations coming with this DLC related to the countries in it, and we would definitely add more formable/releasables in the future.
Answered by
<@689833018407387219>

Question by @Àlvar!
Question
There will be Goodbye to Slavianka or Katyuska as new music for the new DLC? Or at least a new Sabaton DLC?
Answer
There is some new music in No Step Back (including some characteristic USSR-themed songs) and it's beautiful :heart:
Answered by
<@168082620477865986>

Question by @Gersov!
Question
With the upcoming DLC the constructions costs seems like might overwork the Minors industry making it harder for them. Is there something planned so their industry isn't too overworked leaving room for other things?
Answer
small armies have an easier time, but there will need to be some strategy adjustments for sure for midsized (and large)
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Aigle2 (S.Vauban)!
Question
Can we expect an improvement of the current commanding system ?
Answer
not sure what you mean. we are doing a bunch of stuff with commanders tho :secret:
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Dejv!
Question
who do you guys work or contract for the lobby pictures of each dlc? they are always top notch and i wonder which artist is to give credit
Answer
We actually make most of that art in house. On occasion we have hired freelance artists but the vast majority are made by the 2D artist on the team. Or sometimes an artist from another part of the company comes by and says "Hey, guys! I would like to make a loading screen for HOI4. Is there a fun theme or event that you would like me to work with?" and then the work begins.
Answered by
<@413243244890161162>

Question by @SupremeNoob!
Question
will air supply change in this update? Specifically transport planes.
Answer
Air supply will change somewhat with the new supply system, but will mostly be the same. The only change will be that supply will now be distributed over provinces to work more in conjunction with the new system.
Answered by
<@317437874226331650>

Question by @LogOutGames!
Question
Will we be able to see the individual republics inside of the USSR? Also could we incorporate new ones into it?
Answer
only if they are in puppet level
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Blackend_Sun!
Question
will Slovakia ever be releasable in 1936? Currently it is only through an event by Czechoslovakia or through the 1939 start date as a puppet under the Germans.
Answer
Trying to remember why it isn't and drawing a blank, so...maybe?
Answered by

Question by @Indyclone77 (Sooty Senator)!
Question
When will Sooty finally get his just rewards and a place in HOIV
Answer
when he has taken over the world, of course!
Answered by

Question by @Hugmeimscared!
Question
how will transport planes interact with the new supply system, will they become more attractive to use?
Answer
we are altering it a bit to fit. cant go into details on that yet
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Question by @Xeeeero!
Question
Will there be a rework for volunteers in an inland nation? (Currently if you send volunteers to a nation that has no naval-route, they have no supply route and hence die due to attrition)
Answer
a you shouldnt need naval routes, but you are limited to the host nations supply situation
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

Last edited:
Question
Answer
"likely" would be a very strong word, but the CD department has opinionsabout the TfV focus trees. We will have to see how we can fit it into the production schedule

Who is the CD department?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Question
Answer

Who is the CD department?
Content Design

Reactions:
Will there be any more focus trees in this expansion beside Poland, Baltics and USSR? Or a minor rework for nations like Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Question by @LogOutGames!
Question
Will we be able to see the individual republics inside of the USSR? Also could we incorporate new ones into it?
Answer
only if they are in puppet level
Answered by
<@583212343283023921>

This excites me

How do we lobby them? :) Can we at least get them to fix the most glaring bugs in TfV content, like the player Indian army getting deleted during a civil war, if Britain has chosen to decolonize.
You get a job on the HoI team and the proceed to bother them on Slack until they fix it just to get rid of you. That's how I get things done

They haven't figured out that I come back for more bother tho

On a more serious note I am not sure what the plan for it is

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Question
Will the Soviet Union have a state rework, specifically in the Caucuses, Ukraine, Belarus and on the Finland border?
Answer
We'll have too see :slight_smile:

Super excited for Caucasus. Such an interesting region, and both Azerbaijan, Gerogia and Armenia have so much potential as releasables. I also hope that the Transcaucasia flag is dependent on the country that forms it, that would be an interestic twist to that.

Also curious, Battle of Bosporus added an Azerbaijani general (Hazi Aslanov) that can be recruited by Turkey, if Turks go Soviet way. Since the assets already exist, can you add him to releasable Azerbaijan as well please?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lots of goodies in there.

Trains: didn't expect trains to be built using military factories, but I actually like that, it forces you to prioritize whether to build trains or military equipment.

River movement: would have actually really liked to be able to strat-move down rivers somehow.

I like that the USSR pre-war period is more involved now. Especially since the USSR historically joins the war so late.

The AI improvements sound promising. Being able to finally play HoI4 with an AI that knows what it's doing and doesn't accidentally flip the table would be magical.

I like that strat-moves might be reworked somehow, for example to only be allowed on railroads (possibly using trains as a resource, like how we need convoys to move divisions on water?). Maybe you could also be able to strat-move troops using stockpiled trucks?

I like that the Soviets will be nerfed with debuffs in the early war.

No fixes to peace conferences with Barb/NSB is a disappointment, of course.

Also, can I say I love that the DLC that adds trains has the same abbreviation as the old Norwegian train company :p .

XP gained from other things than just warfare is a welcome change. Didn't realize how much I needed that.

Hoping some future patch reworks how reseach works. Would be nice to have something like tech teams or Vicky2-style inventions.

It's reassuring that the peace system might be reworked in the future, and that some more scripted white peace deals are being added.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It would be nice to have a rework on the air force
and in the future would we have a focus to Austria, Siam and belgian? They are countries that have no focus and are in the middle of majors

One thing we need more than anything is improvements to frontline stability, specifically the ability to write whole "fronts" with multiple army groups attached, so that the army groups don't constantly overlap in areas or abandon areas of the front as the frontline moves. Considering it's such a glaring issue and a relatively easy fix, any word on that?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
It's literally adding a third level of front line to the two that are already there. Not exactly a herculean task.
Could you explain what that means and how it fixes the issue with frontline stability? It is something many players want fixed, including myself. Since I do not know enough to offer a solution I am eager to hear one.

Reactions:
It's literally adding a third level of front line to the two that are already there. Not exactly a herculean task.
So in effect, a 2nd fallback line?

Could you explain
I'd love to hear too.
So in effect, a 2nd fallback line?

Currently if you assign several armies to a front line all their divisions are mixed in and distributed along it as individual divisions, they don't stay grouped by army. If you assign an army group to a front line, the front line is sub-divided into sectional sub fronts and each army within the army group is assigned to a sub front. The divisions of an army stay within the sub front corresponding to their army. So you have two levels of fronts: the army group level front line, and the army level sub front line within it.

I believe what is being suggested is to create a third level of front line above the two existing ones, containing multiple army groups which remain separate and don't mix. Does that make sense?

This could be particularly useful on the Eastern Front.

l3front.png

• 5Like
Reactions: