CK3: The Royal Court - The Vision

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really liking the possibilities this expansion could offer. I think they have been reading some of the threads related to these topics and listening to what has been posted in them as some of the ideas seem to align overly well with some of the things people have suggested over the past months. That is even a nicer reveal than just the expansion because it suggests they are interested in what we want as well as what they want.

The FAQ sticky really answers a lot of questions already about it and provides more information than I had picked up on from this thread or the original stuff posted through Twitter. I do still have one question about the languages, though. I really like the idea, but are we going to have to go through the process of learning additional languages with every generation or can we pass on at least one or two extra languages as our children grow up? For example, if I am English and take the time to learn Irish and Scottish, I'd rather pass those languages on each generation and not have to go through the entire process after every succession. Perhaps the initial time I pass these on, it might have to require more effort if I learned the languages after my children are adults, but if I already know the languages when they are born, I should be able to just have that be part of their education. Again, this could be limited to only 1 or 2 languages beyond your own so you can't just have every child learn a dozen languages automatically as you add to your language knowledge, but it would remove the tedium of doing the same thing over and over again.

Edit: It looks like it was asked already based on what was just posted above me and I just missed it. :)

Reactions:
This sounds totally awesome!
For a while I've felt that in CK3 Im hoping for less new mechanics and more visualizations for existing mechanics. Having an actual throne room where I could see my courtiers would be super cool! Especially since its these interactions between characters that makes CK3 stand out from other strategy games!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Could you guys perhaps add a lesser version or something a bit different for counts and dukes to flesh them out more. I have no problem being king or emperor but other people may prefer to play those lower levels even if just sometimes. Not complaining just suggesting. As you say Player Freedom. Also I assume the azure patch is safe for a current save but this is not?

Reactions:
Could you guys perhaps add a lesser version or something a bit different for counts and dukes to flesh them out more. I have no problem being king or emperor but other people may prefer to play those lower levels even if just sometimes. Not complaining just suggesting. As you say Player Freedom. Also I assume the azure patch is safe for a current save but this is not?
Just my two cents, I remember from either one earlier dev diary or interview, dev said they want most of the events in CK3 to be generated by actions from player and ai. So, events should mostly be consequences of player and ai actions. If this applies to how they are designing the dlc, I think the things player count or duke will get are interacting with their liege through the new hold court and court positions system, like your liege will invite you when they hold court, and maybe they can also appoint you with certain court position. Plus, I think give courts to everyone may cause serious performance issue when you think there are so many counts and dukes.

Reactions:
A question for devs (if they see this).

Will it be possible to remove old traditions that are no longer relevant to the culture if you're already at that maximum?

So if the Norse (or a successor culture) have been driven out of Scandinavia and onto the steppes, could they (for example) burn their "viking" tradition to get an open slot that could then be taken up with "horse lords" or something?
Culture Divergence costs Prestige & allows you to pick a new name, colour and Traditions. So you will be able to change your Traditions with this :)

Reactions:
More of the update being released for free instead of core game features being gated behind paywall may make the DLC features seem not worth their price, though that is of course subjective. If nobody buys the DLC development will stop sooner than later, though some of us already paid for three. If only some people buy the DLC, because not everybody finds every DLC feature necessary, desirable, or worth the price tag, the ones who do pay are essentially subsidising the free patch features for those who do not pay. Though it does seem desirable to me that people who may not have the means to buy every CK3 DLC can keep enjoying their game with the rest of us.
Also,as i had said before in one of the imperator dd threads,paywalling the essential features had also make two major issues for Paradox:
-A pr disaster,with a lot of people complaining "this should have been in the base game,why essential features are locked behind a dlc"
-This has severely hintered the development of games such as CK2 and even more EU4.There is a reason why the EU4 development has been merged into the base game and why Johan has called paywalling essential features such as development or retinues in CK2 a mistake.So i'm glad that with their newer games such as Imperator and CK3,Paradox made a different approach this time.This will lead to a better game at the end.
On the topic,a great expansion,and i can't wait to see more.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Culture Divergence costs Prestige & allows you to pick a new name, colour and Traditions. So you will be able to change your Traditions with this
Now I really hope that accompanying patch will allow to change our realm's color like we can change the names as well... So tired of seeing some color schemes sometimes but editing title colors in gamefiles is too much of a chore for this

• 2Like
Reactions:
Now I really hope that accompanying patch will allow to change our realm's color like we can change the names as well...
On that note, the devs should allow us to use the CoA randomizer present in the character designer during our playthroughs. Both to change our house's CoA if we are its head and to change the CoAs of all landed titles within our realm (and not just that of the main one, as is the case with the character designer).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think actual COA editor arriving with one of the next major updates is granted, randomizing it is just silly
It is. And at the very least, if having all CoA designs displayed as for you to directly pick your preferred one isn't possible, then it should be at least possible to pick the color scheme once you've landed through randomization onto your preferred design.

But yeah, I'd like for it to be extended to all landed titles rather than just your primary one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now I really hope that accompanying patch will allow to change our realm's color like we can change the names as well... So tired of seeing some color schemes sometimes but editing title colors in gamefiles is too much of a chore for this
You will be able to change your colour & name when you Hybridise or create a Divergence in the Culture :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
When are we going to see Royal Court Dev Diary #1: Juicy Screenshots?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooooh... Hey, I confirmed the confirmation at least :cool:
Got it, feedback taken (no confirmation, but I'm noting it down)
It would definitely be nice to be able to change "country" colour even if just to escape some of the less pleasant base colours.

It'd also be nice to be able to pick the colour used to represent your custom religion on the map - Or even to change the colour of the existing religion for player convenience.

I would also like to echo the calls to get access to the CoA generator for when we make a cadet house, even if it's "hit the randomiser until something decent turns up", although I'd prefer to be able to *design* a coat of arms rather than just randomise.
Also on the CoA front, if the main house of the dynasty has gone defunct, what would you think to a decision for the Dynasty Head to "Assume Ancestral Arms", and adopt the original Dynasty arms in place of their House one?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Also,as i had said before in one of the imperator dd threads,paywalling the essential features had also make two major issues for Paradox:
-A pr disaster,with a lot of people complaining "this should have been in the base game,why essential features are locked behind a dlc"
-This has severely hintered the development of games such as CK2 and even more EU4.There is a reason why the EU4 development has been merged into the base game and why Johan has called paywalling essential features such as development or retinues in CK2 a mistake.So i'm glad that with their newer games such as Imperator and CK3,Paradox made a different approach this time.This will lead to a better game at the end.
On the topic,a great expansion,and i can't wait to see more.
Free patches are fine and dandy, and you have a point in regards to the flaws of putting crucial content in DLCs rather than free patches as it makes Paradox reluctant to work on the content of earlier DLCs in later patch cycles no matter how important they become to the playerbase (although with the introduction of a DLC subscription to both CK2 and EU4 perhaps that paradigm will change), this misses the point that was discussed, just like r3xm0rt1s's post did before.

On a side note, the whole premise of r3xm0rt1s is unfounded anyway, as so far only one feature out of the eight named so far has been confirmed to come in the free patch. Hardly a basis for talking about more of the update being released for free compared to before.

Anyway, while the development of free patches is essentially funded through the income from DLCs, the existence of free patch content is neither here nor there in regards to the 50% increase in the price of major DLCs. And that's not me saying it, it's Paradox saying it.
If you are familiar with Paradox Development Studio games, you surely have realized that we will start with a Major Expansion for CK3 at a slightly higher price point than those of our previous titles. This is due to the fact that we want to spend more time on our CK3 expansions and deliver bigger DLCs with better, more exciting content and well-enhanced mechanics.
This is Paradox justifying the slight 50% increase with them spending more time on CK3 expansions so that they can deliver bigger DLCs with better, more exciting content. There's not a word about free patches in there. Because, you know, they are free.

Now feel free to slap another "respectful" disagreement for simply repeating Paradox's own words on the matter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will it be possible to create hybrid cultures of groups that are far away from each other? Like making a Norse and Indo-Aryan mixed culture if a Norse rules land in India or vice versa?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Cultures may have Cultural Centers as Faiths have holy places. Cultural Center could be the most developed province of the culture (modified perhaps by cultural and historical buildings, runestones etc.). Owning a Cultural Center may give the same-culture owner Prestige, and if the Culture Center of the culture is owned by a non same culture ruler than it may make every same culture independent ruler to lose Prestige. Owning the Cultural Center may be necessary to change your culture's exisiting character.

• 1Like
Reactions: