HOI4 Dev Diary - The Baltic States 2/2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Italy sucked really hard in the war so who cares. Let me see the bolshevik hordes in their finest!

Compared to countries like Mexico, Portugal, the three Baltic states, they were actually relevant in real life (again no offense to fans of those nationalities).

And speaking of bolshevik hordes, Italy actually fought against said hordes and there would have been a chance for some reality based focii instead of meme empires or 1930's era European neo-paganism... The logistics rework and tank builder both would have been appropriate in making Italy unique (if by nothing else, for giving players some truly awful tanks with which to cope initially).

• 4Like
Reactions:
Compared to countries like Mexico, Portugal, the three Baltic states, they were actually relevant in real life (again no offense to fans of those nationalities).
It was a joke :)

But really e.g. the Finnish have put a up a much tougher fight than the Italians so i'm much more interested in the Finnish tree than a reworked Italian one.

In the other hand an Italy rework means we can play with someone else as Mussolini in charge which makes playing the country more tempting as who wants to play an absolute clown :)

But really e.g. the Finnish have put a up a much tougher fight than the Italians so i'm much more interested in the Finnish tree than a reworked Italian one.

In the other hand an Italy rework means we can play with someone else as Mussolini in charge which makes playing the country more tempting as who wants to play an absolute clown :)
I for one am excited for a non aligned monarchy roman Empire tree. :p

It's gonna happen and be glorious.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I for one am excited for a non aligned monarchy roman Empire tree. :p

It's gonna happen and be glorious.
Oh. My. Gosh.!

You figured out why they sent the Imperator Rome developers to HOI4. They are all working on the top secret Italy DLC! Rome shall rise again!!!

It all makes sense now.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Oh. My. Gosh.!

You figured out why they sent the Imperator Rome developers to HOI4. They are all working on the top secret Italy DLC! Rome shall rise again!!!

It all makes sense now.

Hoi4 devs would be stupid not to do a Roman Empire alt branch for Italy. I mean, 90% of us would love it AND to be compltely fair, Mussolini DID wanna remake the Roman Empire so its semi historical alt-history :p

Reactions:
Hoi4 devs would be stupid not to do a Roman Empire alt branch for Italy. I mean, 90% of us would love it AND to be compltely fair, Mussolini DID wanna remake the Roman Empire so its semi historical alt-history :p
I agree. It would be silly fun, but I would not be able to help myself.

Reactions:
How does one prioritize Baltic over Finland? "No time for Finland" is utter bullshit. If you're willing to dedicate time to make Poland and each Baltic state have its own focus tree without some "warlord-treatment" like focus tree like in China, how can you neglect Finland when the whole things name is "Barbarossa" in which Finland was a key player. Just how. I hope this is a "prank" and they will announce it. Otherwise, this is bullshit. Shame on the dev team.
"No time for Finland" is an official motto of the Soviet Karelian front until 1944. Paradox is paying attention to history when making a historical GSG.
On a more serious note, I appreciate mentioning Finland as Barbarossa actor, way too many people forget about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't only we have 4 provinces: Kurzeme, Zemgale, Vidzeme and Latgale, or was it different back in the 30's?
You would be surprised how hard it is to find a map depicting administrative divisions of Latvia from the early 20th century. Latvia does have 5 "planning regions" for municipal cooperation and whatnot but those came after the 2009 reorganization. Though of course that's all contemporary, so not what we're looking for.

If I had to assume a basis for their decision to make Riga its own state: The unique history and culture, its status as the capital, the fact German RP nerds might want to take it and only it. I lot of states are materialized out of thin air just to make occupations and peace treaty borders work out. Seems Victoria 3 will be dealing with this somewhat by having states able to be broken off into smaller states as the game progresses.

Reactions:

And speaking of bolshevik hordes, Italy actually fought against said hordes and there would have been a chance for some reality based focii instead of meme empires or 1930's era European neo-paganism... The logistics rework and tank builder both would have been appropriate in making Italy unique (if by nothing else, for giving players some truly awful tanks with which to cope initially).

I am from Portugal and I agree with you. The only difference between those countries and Portugal is that Portugal was actually important from a strategic point - it owned several key islands in the atlantic and had plenty of tungsten (wolfram) that the Germans wanted for instance. There were several important projects linked with the Azores islands for example.

I still don't understand why they merely added 1 province to Portugal, but they are adding SEVERAL to baltic states that were extremely poor and barely populated. It beats the crap out of my mind, seriously. We are probably getting provinces with about 250k population or less on each, lol. On the other hand, they didn't even bother adding Olivença to Iberia, a place that was a source of friction for ages between Spain and Portugal, adding a national focus instead that doesn't make much sense.

All in all, fingers crossed for this new DLC. At least the Polish and Soviets are getting a revamp and we are getting a Tank Designer. But I don't have high hopes for the baltic states in terms of historical accuracy. Sure, they might be fun to try, and I don't object to that but I don't entirely like OP fantasy buffs (in most cases it is not even something plausible, it is just fantasy-alt history).

Sir, you are confusing Mussolini with the German Fuhrer. Probably confusing Roman Circuses with today's Circuses. Roman Circuses did not have Clowns.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Barely anyone plays these countries. And also "The way they once were." I thought Lithuania was always a weaker state, that's why Jagiellons went for the crown of Poland and the Duchy of Lithuania as a junion partner. They were less developed and populated. I guess it makes sense if its coming from a nationalistic rhetoric.

Reactions:
Barely anyone plays these countries. And also "The way they once were." I thought Lithuania was always a weaker state, that's why Jagiellons went for the crown of Poland and the Duchy of Lithuania as a junion partner. They were less developed and populated. I guess it makes sense if its coming from a nationalistic rhetoric.
Afaik the most autonomy Lithuanian historians give Lithuania in their interpretation is the status of equal partner to Poland. I have to assume "the way they once were" is using EU4/CK logic where the country the ruler taking over comes from becomes the leader of the personal union. Though I suppose it could refer to them existing in a state of personal union altogether, as the Commonwealth was a real union and is distinct from a personal union.

Hoping for a Finnish tree as well, now that Finno-Ugria is formable. Coastal Defense ships should have a reason to exist.

Bruh, Karl Gero shouldn't be King of Lithuania because he joined the Wehrmacht in 1935, a year before the game even starts.

Reactions: