Portugal: Here we go again

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue for Portugal would be way too similar to France in Africa. One thing that needs to be taken into consideration for a color scheme is making sure the likely big colors on the map are distinguishable and easy to tell from each other.

Reactions:
Blue for Portugal would be way too similar to France in Africa. One thing that needs to be taken into consideration for a color scheme is making sure the likely big colors on the map are distinguishable and easy to tell from each other.
394360_screenshots_20200512183948_1.jpg

5 shades of blue there.

• 8Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
No they're not. If anything France and Zambia are similar.

Look to Brazil and French Guynea. Night and day.
I shouldn't have to look at a whole other continent on a map to tell what two counties are which. That's bad UX design plain and simple.

Reactions:
I shouldn't have to look at a whole other continent on a map to tell what two counties are which. That's bad UX design plain and simple.
It's just a screen of a game I played.
The issue you have now it's not with the colour, which again proves that it's different enough from France, one of the main complaints, and quite different from other colonial powers aswell, another complaint.

Reactions:
It's just a screen of a game I played.
The issue you have now it's not with the colour.
Not sure what you're trying to imply. Color scheming and making sure the game is accessible including for people with eyesight limitations is a very important part of user interface design, so yes it is with the color.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not sure what you're trying to imply. Color scheming and making sure the game is accessible including for people with eyesight limitations is a very important part of user interface design, so yes it is with the color.
Not implying anything.
Just provided an example to prove all the complaints wrong.

Eyesight limitations now?
Those WC runs must get tricky.

Reactions:
Not implying anything.
Just provided an example to prove all the complaints wrong.
Except you didn't, and then you said "the issue you have now it's not with the colour." You very clearly implied that you think my issue with it is about something else. What do you think the issue is about since you're implying it's not about the color?

Reactions:
The real question is will we get lame grey Prussia, even more lame prussian blue Prussia, or very cool and very based yellow Prussia. (I actually like grey best personally) as for Portugal, I'm used to green from eu4, but blue is fine too.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
Except you didn't, and then you said "the issue you have now it's not with the colour." You very clearly implied that you think my issue with it is about something else. What do you think the issue is about since you're implying it's not about the color?
I shouldn't have to look at a whole other continent on a map to tell what two counties are which.

I assumed you were speaking of the size of the sample I provided to show that the colours are different.

Reactions:

I am sorry, but this is just silly. The example he provided is most clear in South America, and it clearly proves the colours are different, hence they would be also different in Africa. I don't see the issue, give Portugal its colour.

Reactions:
I assumed you were speaking of the size of the sample I provided to show that the colours are different.
I am sorry, but this is just silly. The example he provided is most clear in South America, and it clearly proves the colours are different, hence they would be also different in Africa. I don't see the issue, give Portugal its colour.
Having to look far away from the area of focus to find a bordering area in order to tell colors apart is extremely unhelpful and just adds to the difficulty. Our perception of colors are heavily affected by lighting, shadow, nearby contrast, and a lot of other things that make colors not necessarily appear equivalent depending on what the surroundings are.

For example, take this optical illusion. Squares A and B are the same color, but because one is surrounded by lighter squares and the other is surrounded by shadowed squares, our eyes perceive them as different.
image001.gif

Portugal in HOI4 really got the short end of the stick in terms of color choice. The blue is bad because of the similarity with France, but the green isn't much better as it runs into too much similarity with Italy, and the overall darker tones and lower saturation reducing the overall color contrast really does not help. The green shouldn't be too much of a problem with Victoria, as it shouldn't run into too many issues with Italy (assuming Italy is still green), though looking at the map Sokoto and Brazil might be a problem. It probably would be better to give Portugal something like a purple color instead, since that would be different enough from every other major African colonizer.

Reactions:
Having to look far away from the area of focus to find a bordering area in order to tell colors apart is extremely unhelpful and just adds to the difficulty. Our perception of colors are heavily affected by lighting, shadow, nearby contrast, and a lot of other things that make colors not necessarily appear equivalent depending on what the surroundings are.

For example, take this optical illusion. Squares A and B are the same color, but because one is surrounded by lighter squares and the other is surrounded by shadowed squares, our eyes perceive them as different.
image001.gif

Portugal in HOI4 really got the short end of the stick in terms of color choice. The blue is bad because of the similarity with France, but the green isn't much better as it runs into too much similarity with Italy, and the overall darker tones and lower saturation reducing the overall color contrast really does not help. The green shouldn't be too much of a problem with Victoria, as it shouldn't run into too many issues with Italy (assuming Italy is still green), though looking at the map Sokoto and Brazil might be a problem. It probably would be better to give Portugal something like a purple color instead, since that would be different enough from every other major African colonizer.

Again, the entire point is that the blue is NOT similar to the French blue, the reason why you have to look far away to see the difference clearly is because Portugal doesn't border France. Which was your concern anyway. I am sorry, but now you are just making up reasons to disagree.

You start your argument by claiming that Portugal ought to be made Green, since it would get confusing if it bordered France. You are shown that Portuguese and French blue is distinct enough, and then you change your argument that Portugal should be green because it DOESN'T border France? I'm sorry, what?

Reactions:
I understand that this is a W.I.P screenshot but I cant fail to notice that Portugal once again has the green colour.

I would suggest since Portugal starts as a Monarchy in the game it should have a blue colour, to go with their Flag:

Green should only be used for Republican Portugal.

Even HoI IV uses Blue for Portugal going down the Monarchy path, that colour could and should be used.
but dad, we got our green colour from YOU, you should be green like us :(

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.