• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #212: PDXCon Remixed and 3.0.3

Hi everyone!

Two big things this week.

The first is that 3.0.3 has moved from beta to live on all platforms, with the full details available here. 3.0.3 includes numerous economic and AI adjustments, bugfixes, and two new sliders in galaxy generation to control pop growth behavior without the need for a mod. There have been a few more fixes added since the last beta update, so check out the patch notes.

The other is that PDXCon Remixed, an online adaptation of our annual convention, is kicking off!

PDXCon Remixed Logo

We’ve had a variety of events including the Treasure Hunt and Grand Campaign (praise snek) over the past few weeks, but the main events start this weekend.

I’ll list a few of the events of particular interest to Stellaris players, but the entire schedule can be found here. (insert link)

Friday, 21st of May:
  • At 20:00 CEST, the Announcement Show will have all sorts of news and revelations, you can watch at twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive. (The pre-show event starts at 19:30!)

Saturday, 22nd of May:
  • At 01:10, Product Marketing Manager Pontus Rundqvist will be hosting a talk called Fanatic Egalitarians: Bringing Stellaris to Consoles with our friends from Tantalus, Producer David Giles, Designer David Doe, and Programmer Adam Clarke.
  • At 20:00, the Paradox Awards show will be held, honoring the best community in gaming. Modders, community organizers, content creators and more will be highlighted and awarded for their amazing work with all our games.

Sunday, 23rd of May:
  • At 00:40, Community Ambassador Graeme “DJ Truthsayer” Crawford will host Defining Your Own Space: Making Great Stellaris Content, featuring some of the brightest stars of Stellaris content creation. ASpec, Enigmatic Rose, Old Man Mordaith, and Stefan Annon will give tips on making fun and engaging videos.
  • At 02:10, DJ will continue with How to Conquer the Galaxy Without Really Trying, with QA Lead Joseph Gardener, Embedded QA Byron Aytoun, Regunes, UMAR, and Stefan Annon teaching you how to turn a fledgling empire into an intergalactic powerhouse!
  • At 13:10, make first contact with some of the developers at Meet the Stars: Stellaris Dev Mingle on Discord.
  • At 14:10, DJ will host Fanatic Xenophiles: Creating Character for Stellaris, featuring Senior Artist Frida Eriksson and Artist Emma Jonsson. See how our worlds are populated with a growing array of fascinating creatures.
  • 14:55 brings us Fanatic Spiritualists: The Philosophy Behind Stellaris, where Live Content Producer Anders Carlsson grills Game Director Daniel Moregård, Content Designer Gemma Thomson, and myself (Game Designer Stephen Muray) about the stories being told through Stellaris, and how the game is designed to create those stories.
  • At 15:45, the Fanatic Materialists: A Look at Stellaris Tech panel, featuring Tech Lead Lorenzo Berni, Senior Programmer Gustav Palmqvist, Content Designer and Technical Scripter Pierre Du Plessis, and Former Tech Lead Gwenael Tranvouez will share their insight on how the technology behind Stellaris is created.

That’s not all, see the full list of events here to plan your agenda, with more updates following the Announcement Show.

There'll also be a Stellaris Virtual LAN Party on the Stellaris Discord all weekend! Join to play Community hosted multiplayer games (competitive and roleplay games), learn to play Stellaris from experienced community members, win some game keys, and maybe a chance to Play with a Dev!

Enjoy the convention!

• 37Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Honestly after all the talk about communication and trying to fix the rising toxicity/hostility on the forum, I don't think this is okay.

I get there was an announcement in regards to DLC for consoleplayers and all, but that was for already released stuff, so pretty meaningless for everyone else. It's fine and all, but please in the future, if you don't have anything new to announce state so (I do not count the free weekend as anything noteworthy, sorry). It's perfectly fine - we just got a new expansion, so it's entirely justifiable for there to be no news (which also applies to the lack of "meat" in the dev diary) - just say so, so I don't get my hopes up. Anything else is not good communication.

Now, having said that, all is forgiven since Vicky3 was announced instead, but just had to point out that I really don't think this is the way to go to combat toxicity...

• 6Like
Reactions:
only a video....
I was hoping at least for something like the Anniversary Portraits or the Cuties Portrait pack we had in the first year of the game. 3 to 5 free portraits does not seem to be that much work for a 5 years commemoration. It will be a letdown if nothing else is announced to honor such important milestone for the game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
To be fair, this was just bad timing for Stellaris news. At this point the devs are likely just swinging from finishing up beta work (and a holiday) into work on 3.1 and whatever it will include. After Federations release it was about two months before definitive news on 2.7 was announced. Nemesis coming out when it did, and needing as much dev support as it did afterwards, put the game in the awkward space where there's likely not enough concrete work on the next update for it to warrant mention at this convention. Aside from one mildly teasing tweet, which likely referenced Victoria 3, the dev diaries never did anything to specifically hype us for a reveal; that was just the community getting hopeful on its own.

Hm... given there's apparently a summer break for Paradox, I'd expect a last dev diary update in June which teases their plans with a more concrete announcement when they come back.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
To be fair, this was just bad timing for Stellaris news. At this point the devs are likely just swinging from finishing up beta work (and a holiday) into work on 3.1 and whatever it will include. After Federations release it was about two months before definitive news on 2.7 was announced. Nemesis coming out when it did, and needing as much dev support as it did afterwards, put the game in the awkward space where there's likely not enough concrete work on the next update for it to warrant mention at this convention. Aside from one mildly teasing tweet, which likely referenced Victoria 3, the dev diaries never did anything to specifically hype us for a reveal; that was just the community getting hopeful on its own.
Agreed - but imo that really could have been communicated out ahead of time. I understand there's a need to generate hype about PdoxCon, but calling this post a "dev diary" and then NOT announcing anything of real substance, is simply not in good taste. They already announced that there would be nothing for Imperator (and the scaling back on that game overall) a little while ago, so they might as well has given a heads up in regards to there being nothing exactly new. I'd have been hugely disappointed watching the show, if the only game I was interested in was Stellaris.

I only really bring it up because there's been such a focus on communication between the developers and the community across the board lately, and I really consider this to be a prime example of how NOT to communicate with us - I fully understand that there might not be anything to announce at the moment, and that's just fine, just communicate that properly...

Personally I like the recent changes and generally find the game vastly more enjoyable than a couple of months ago, so I'm actually quite positive overall (I really hope I don't come across as toxic)

• 2Like
Reactions: