• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree that this feature is needed. I believe one of the devs said that they are looking into adding such a map mode, but not to expect it until the next big patch at the earliest (i.e., not in a hotfix).

Triage of this gravely wounded update began today, and one of the notes was
- Rebalanced monuments.
I'm gonna have a look and see what's different to the stuff I've covered so far

Right off the bat, the prices are different. Yesterday when testing, upgrading a monument cost 1000 ducats each time, regardless of tier, cost 300 ducats to rush by some amount, and usually would need to be rushed 5 or 6 times if you want to skip the construction time. Now, the price to upgrade doubles at each tier, the cost to rush is 250 BUT each tier takes vastly longer to construct, meaning you need to pay for a lot more rushes if you want to skip the construction time. Oh also, the manpower cost to rush (if you're short on cash and full of bodies) has been halved from 10k to 5k.
(and as with my long comparison comment above, these are all tier 3 values)

So, Alhambra was
Dip rep +1, dip rel +1, vassal income +25%, admin eff +5%
now, Alhambra is
Dip rep +1, vassal income +10%, lib des in subjects -10%, admin eff +5%
I see this as a nerf, but it's up to perspective

Ambras was
Province defense +25%, area defense +10%, yearly prestige +0.5, useless loyalty gain
now, Ambras is
Province defense +25%, area defense +25%, yearly prestige +0.5, army drill gain +50%, useless loyalty gain
Small buff, the state of Tirol is going to be a good place for forts, that drill gain is pretty cool. Good to know the instant loyalty increase still doesn't work.

Pena Palace was
Manpower in capital area +20%, useless estate loyalty
now, Pena Palace is
Manpower in capital area +50%, missionary strength +0.5%, noble loyalty equilibrium +5%, useless loyalty gain
Small buff, but still seems very much made just for Portugal.

Aït Benhaddou was
Trade efficiency +10%, global trade power +5%, fort defense +20%, caravan power +33%
now, Aït Benhaddou is
Area defense +25%, trade efficiency +10%, global trade power +5%, caravan power +33%
Definitely a nerf from global defense, but I did speculate in my earlier comparisons that it was unique in being the only monument with a fort defense buff that wasn't local. I guess this was always the intended values. Still valuable to snipe for trade!

Tower of London was
Area defense +25%, yearly army tradition +1, yearly prestige +1
now, Tower of London is
Area defense +25%, yearly army tradition +0.5, yearly prestige +0.5
Definite nerf to the tradition and prestige

Himeji Castle was
Local defense +25%, local unrest -3, area defense +15%, area unrest -1, useless loyalty gain
now, Himeji Castle is
Local defense +25%, area defense +25%, foreign spy detection +25%, spy network construction +15%, yearly prestige +0.5
Considerable buff. The espionage stuff is pretty chunky, and the prestige gain makes it a priority to snipe as a daimyo, or integrate as shogun.

Stonehenge was
Missionaries +1, missionary strength +0.5%, tolerance of the true faith +0.5
now, Stonehenge is
Stab cost -25%, missionary strength +1%, tolerance of heretics +1.0, tolerance of heathens +1.0
I see this as a buff, especially considering there's no longer a mention of pagan requirement. Britain could do with that missionary strength and tolerance when they go take over half of Asia. The stab cost is just brilliant for any playstyle.

Hagia Sophia was
Tolerance of the true faith +1.0, Tolerance of heretics +1.0, useless loyalty gain
Now, Hagia Sophia is
Tolerance of the true faith +1.0, Tolerance of heretics +1.0, yearly patriarch authority +0.2%, nonfunctional clergy loyalty gain
Small buff to benefit orthodox tags. I used console commands to annex it as Hungary and change it to catholic, became invalid. The newly-appeared prerequisite text pointed me in a fun direction, though. It requires orthodox owner and province, coptic owner and province, or muslim owner and province. Annexing and converting it as Ethiopia doesn't change the bonuses, so I guess coptics benefit from the tolerance and useless patriarch authority. When I do the same as Ottomans, the original bonuses remain but then it adds
monthly piety +0.2%
So, Hagia Sophia technically is different now, for Muslims. That's cool. I really wish the religious requirements for a monument would just be permanently enabled, as this proves that they aren't and may undermine some of the comparisons/sniping suggestions I made last night.

City of Khami, in Zimbabwe (Mutapa) is unchanged.

Borobudur Temple is unchanged, except it now doesn't require Theravada, so Majapahit (and hopefully any tag, unless this is more tooltip obfuscation on the faith requirements) can benefit the moment they upgrade it.

Prambanan Temple was
Development cost -15%, Missionaries +1, Missionary strength +2%
now, Prambanan temple is
Development cost -10%, missionaries +1, missionary strength +2%
Small nerf to the development cost reduction

Angkor Wat was
Technology cost -15%, useless loyalty gain
now, Angkor Wat is
Technology cost -10%, yearly karma decay +15%, useless loyalty gain
Small tech cost nerf, the karma decay is pretty sweet for maintaining the +5% disc and +2 dip rep, especially since buddhists are most likely to have the Mandala government. I believe the

Pyramid of Cheops was
Technology cost -15%, Idea cost -10%, Monthly admin power +1, Clergy loyalty equilibrium +10%
now, Pyramid of Cheops is
Advisor costs -20%, idea cost -5%
Wow. Pretty big nerf, although the advisor cost is fun. There's no pagan requirement now, too, so you can stack a fully upgraded pyramid on mamluk government's -25% advisor cost of ruler's culture. Well, I won't, because I'm a scrub who always picks Circassian for the army tradition- but that's a cheapo advisor option now available.

Murud-janjira fort was
Naval force limit modifier +50%, Naval maintenance modifier -20%, Yearly navy tradition +1.00
now, Murud-Janjira fort is
Naval force limit modifier +30%, naval maintenance modifier -20%, yearly navy tradition +1.00, admiral cost -10%
Seems like a rebalance, maybe even a slight buff. I can see how the force limit was considered excessive, although it was in line with maritime ideas. The maintenance and tradition are unchanged, and I think admiral cost reduction is good way to give visibility to the separation of generals and admirals that some of us may have forgotten about while combing through this update for lice.

Kanbawzathadi palace was
Advisor costs -25%, Diplomatic reputation +3.0, Diplomatic relations +2
now, Kanbawzathadi is
Advisor costs -20%, diplomatic reputation +2.0, diplomatic relations +2
Slight nerf to advisor costs and dip rep. To be fair, I think I noted at the time that it's one of the few, if only, permanent sources of +3 dip rep in the game. My previous comment about its use for anyone playing the subject game, especially Ayutthaya and Majapahit, still stands. Snipe this one early.

That's it for stuff I covered. A few other things that I can't be sure about are:
I believe Grand Palace of Bangkok may have had liberty desire reduction, but it definitely seems like the remaining bonuses are lower than yesterday.
Taj mahal now has power projection from insults, which I don't remember seeing. Could be wrong, though.
Harmandir Sahib is now in Multan. Still the wrong province, but a lot closer to Lahore than when it was in Samarkand, so... congrats to the dev team for being less wrong today?
Baku Ateshgah, the Zoroastrian monument in Shirvan, looks like the military boosts may have been nerfed.
Halicarnassus lost... something, and gained institution spread/embracement cost
Parthenon lost... I think tech cost? And gained yearly corruption reduction.
Saint Peter's Basilica gained appoint cardinal cost reduction, which is good to see because the lonesome "curia powers cost -10%" was a little depressing.
The Buddhas of Bamyan are no longer locked to Theravada, and will now accept any of the three Buddhists that use Karma mechanics.
The religious unity from temple of Confucius is now +50%, I think it may have been +75% yesterday
The Great Wall now gives +2 attrition for enemies, globally, which I believe was a different bonus yesterday.

I'd like to wrap this up by just saying it hasn't been easy trying to stay on top of this and divulge useful info to the fellow concerned/curious playerbase when 1) the forum mods merge my thread with 3 others, including one I didn't start, which kinda screws with both the flow of the thread and the internal referencing I've been doing 2) I spend hours looking through numbers and making comparisons only to have it all undone by a bunch of changes that probably should've been made before releasing this monetized dumpster fire. Anyway, I hope anyone scrolling finds this stuff useful

Reactions:
Hello everyone! I'm one of the new devs, and I'm in charge of the monuments balance and issues in 1.31 version, as you could probably have seen in other threads.

I'm pumping this one because I want to gather further feedback about balancing and fixing this feature in the following patches, so feel free to suggest whatever you want about the topic, and I'll be taking account of it.

I'm also aware that here we've got a bunch of good suggestions for adding more monuments. For now, we're focusing on balancing the ones we've got already in the game; but perhaps in the future some could be added, we'll think about it.

• 11Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Hello everyone! I'm one of the new devs, and I'm in charge of the monuments balance and issues in 1.31 version, as you could probably have seen in other threads.

I'm pumping this one because I want to gather further feedback about balancing and fixing this feature in the following patches, so feel free to suggest whatever you want about the topic, and I'll be taking account of it.

I'm also aware that here we've got a bunch of good suggestions for adding more monuments. For now, we're focusing on balancing the ones we've got already in the game; but perhaps in the future some could be added, we'll think about it.
would be very very good to add a monument mapmode

Reactions:

The only suggestions I have is that St. Peter's requirment of being only catholic is kinda hampering it. You are either Pope or taking penaltty for it, or cant use it. So I find it very useless. So either open it to other Christian faiths or make it that levle 2 or 3 removes penalty for other Catholics holding Rome.

• 2Like
Reactions:
i do not know how hard it would be and i am not sure how that would work but how about some kind of mini missions for monuments for upgrading them? just paying gold or manpower seems so... boring.

maybe something like. (and just spit balling here) trade with a nation (shown with having +150 relations) with specific regions under control or controlling it yourself to get access to a resource like marble or something (no real new resources. more event fluff) or having a certain kind of advisor who would lead the upgrade process in his lifetime through a mini event chain.

out of scoop now? i guess but still wanted to give my 2 cents.

The price of upgrading monuments to level 2 and 3 seems a bit too high now, as well as inconsistent with the time required to build.

For instance of level 1 requires 1000 ducats and 10 years, why does level 2 double the time, but more than double the cost?

Reactions:

What I personally think is that the general approach to Monuments is wrong.

Currently, Monuments generally offer global modifiers capable of significantly altering the game for the country that controls them, so they become provinces of high interest to be hunted. But the reality is that no building was able to have such a global impact. Therefore, I think that Monuments should be aimed to increase the flavour of the games without altering them so much.

My suggestions:
- Monuments, in general, should stop giving global modifiers (maybe only the top 5 or 10 should give them, but they should be small, and only in the Magnificent level).
- Monuments should give very strong provincial and area modifiers.
- As Monument rewards are lower, upgrade costs and times should also be lower.
- There should be many more Monuments all over the world. Maybe up to 100 or 150.
- Monument mapmode.

Reactions:
Hi @Pavía :)

I've posted this somewhere else, but I don't mind saying it again : not all monuments should cost the same. I know that making a custom price for every single monument would be way too much work, but there could be one price for monuments with local modifiers, and another price for monuments with global modifiers. Even better would be to distinguish between tiers : if tier 1 and 2 give local modifiers but tier 3 gives a global modifier, only tier 3 should cost extra.

Reactions:
Some general ideas and suggestions regarding monuments:

1) Having monuments in an accepted culture could give the monuments bonuses to the owner. This would be an indirect buff to accepted cultures since you would need to be specific about which monuments to 'accept'. Maybe cap the returns to lvl 2 for example.

2) With the current cost structure, I'd like to see the rewards frontloaded more. Most monuments give their biggest upside at lvl 3, but lvl 3 also costs 7000 ducats to upgrade. That's honestly just a lategame experience. Some possible solutions:
- Make the cost of wonders go up with the amount of wonders you have. So the first and even second could/should be relatively cheap to upgrade, but it then gets more expensive over time.
- Make the cost of wonders go down if they're in your primary culture (-50% for example) and accepted culture, or culture group (-25% for example).
- Not all wonders could and should be equal. Have some wonders cost more than others, but then with bigger effects.
- Make '- construction cost %' affect wonder construction cost

3) Make wonders feel more alive and a project your nation is working on. Say you're constructing a certain wonders, your neighbors could get an event that you started doing that. Especially for relevant wonders, this could create a minigame where nation X starts working on strong wonder Z and nation Y wants to prevent that being completed so attacks. Also, while upgrading, I feel there are very few events regarding it. The moment you start a wonder I also always just instantly complete it with manpower. It's never just 'being constructed'. I feel like speeding it up makes sense, but instantly completing it doesn't. It also makes the previous minigame unviable, since the moment construction starts, it's also immediately complete. Also, not event or pop-up when you create a wonder makes me a bit sad. You just created one of the biggest marvels on the planet and...nothing?

Reactions:

Currently, Monuments generally offer global modifiers capable of significantly altering the game for the country that controls them, so they become provinces of high interest to be hunted. But the reality is that no building was able to have such a global impact. Therefore, I think that Monuments should be aimed to increase the flavour of the games without altering them so much.

My suggestions:
- Monuments, in general, should stop giving global modifiers (maybe only the top 5 or 10 should give them, but they should be small, and only in the Magnificent level).
- There should be many more Monuments all over the world. Maybe up to 100 or 150.
- Monument mapmode.
This is unrealistic. The amount of work to create 100-150 monuments would be... monumental. I think it is a good approach to have high cost monuments which act like a ducats sink giving global modifiers. It feels good when you conquer a province with monument, core it, convert to own culture and create a huge monument that gives bonsues to your nation. After all they are monuments, some kind of unique wonders not just another overpriced building you build in a province.

My suggestions:
- Monument mapmode.
I have to disagree with this statement. A lot of monuments had "country wide effects" and were also build for that purpose. Die Shah Jahan just build the Taj Mahal to make Agra a bit prettier and to give his wife a nice resting place? Did Louis XIV build the palace of Versailles just to have a "home sweet home"? Did the Romans build the Colosseum just to entertain the local roman population? No.
If you look at the Taj, you don't think "wow Agra is such a nice city", you think "Mughal architecture was really damn impressive". Versailles was an immense show off of wealth and power that pretty much every other aspiring monarch in europe tried to replicate. And the colosseum was just a sign of the enormous size and culture of the Roman Empire. Very few of the well known monument have been build to fulfill a unique purpose within a city or area. they are some of course, like most fortresses (Alhambra, Himeji) or something like the Casa de Contratión. But most Monuments were build as a show off for the power of the nation or monarch. So in this abstract world that is eu4, it totally makes sense for them to reward countrywide effects.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please add diplomatic conflicts and revanchism around Monuments. Perhaps a "reclaim Monument" CB and negative diplomatic opinion from conquering Monuments of different religions e.g. Christians conquering Mount Fuji should give permanent -100 relations from all Shinto nations until the monument is returned to control of a Shinto or Buddhist nation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please add diplomatic conflicts and revanchism around Monuments. Perhaps a "reclaim Monument" CB and negative diplomatic opinion from conquering Monuments of different religions e.g. Christians conquering Mount Fuji should give permanent -100 relations from all Shinto nations until the monument is returned to control of a Shinto or Buddhist nation.
What if Christians conquered Fuji area that had none monument. Then created level 3 monument there? I do not like strong minus modifiers with all coutries. It does not work very well. For example you have a centuries strong alliance with some nation, you fought in countless wars against common enemy. Then you take a province from some other nation and suddenly your ally flips and breaks the alliance due -100 modifier. I do not think that is a good solution. Although i agree with additional CB's to reclaim monuments, would be fun but not very useful and it would be very rarely used.

Reactions:
Hey @Pavía can you please consider 1 or 2 of these mosques as monuments to be built (not existing at 1444) for Ottomans?
@Johan
As in 1.31 Leviathan Great Projects are added, why not add one or two of the most important mosques designed by Mimar Sinan and Sedefkar Mehmet Ağa in history to list? (could be integrated into mission trees)
1. Süleymaniye Mosque (by Sinan) in Constantinople (1550-1557)
View attachment 712389
The Süleymaniye Mosque is an Ottoman imperial mosque located on the Third Hill of Istanbul, Turkey. The mosque was commissioned by Suleiman the Magnificent and designed by the imperial architect Mimar Sinan. An inscription specifies the foundation date as 1550 and the inauguration date as 1557. Behind the qibla wall of the mosque is an enclosure containing the separate octagonal mausoleums of Suleiman the Magnificent and that of his wife Hurrem Sultan (Roxelana). For 462 years, the Süleymaniye Mosque was the largest mosque in the city, until it was surpassed by the Çamlıca Mosque in 2019. The Süleymaniye Mosque is one of the best-known sights of Istanbul, and from its location on the Third Hill, it commands an extensive view of the city around the Golden Horn.

2. Blue Mosque (by Sedefkar Mehmet Ağa) in Constantinople (1609-1616)
View attachment 712390View attachment 712391
Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Turkish: Sultan Ahmet Camii), also known as the Blue Mosque, is an Ottoman-era friday mosque located in Istanbul, Turkey. A functioning mosque, it also attracts large numbers of tourist visitors. It was constructed between 1609 and 1616 during the rule of Ahmed I. Its Külliye contains Ahmed's tomb, a madrasah and a hospice. Hand-painted blue tiles adorn the mosque’s interior walls, and at night the mosque is bathed in blue as lights frame the mosque’s five main domes, six minarets and eight secondary domes. It sits next to the Hagia Sophia, the principal mosque of Istanbul until the Blue Mosque's construction and another popular tourist site.

3. Selimiye Mosque by Mimar Sinan in Edirne (1568-1575)
View attachment 712393
The Selimiye Mosque (Turkish: Selimiye Camii) is an Ottoman imperial mosque, which is located in the city of Edirne (formerly Adrianople), Turkey. The mosque was commissioned by Sultan Selim II, and was built by the imperial architect Mimar Sinan between 1568 and 1575.[2] It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture and Ottoman architecture. It was added as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2011.
Besides these mosques, Topkapı Palace might be considered as well.
1621516918878.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: