• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wenceslaus II

Przemysł II
41 Badges
Aug 24, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Darkest Hour
EU4 is definately a step up with graphics, I just find all the new features a bit of an over kill or unnessasary. EU3 for what it's worth was all the EU series needed. Thought or opinions?

I have a hard time loving EU3 compared to back in the day addicted to EU1 and 2, but i can't stand EU4. I cant get myself to play more than 20 minutes of it. And the constant patches make me always have to start a new game. Im sure this is the last expansion that just came out so ill wait a bit for it to closer to a final patch

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, given that i mostly played modded, EUIV is way better because it gives so many tools to be more ambitious mods.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well i am certainly in your debt for the original MEIOU. About EU4 that requires me to have patience, is the low income at the start of the game. I love those graphics though, I'll be back when EU4 calls me again. Thank you for continuing your work through EU4, I'm sure you have a thriving community of players.

One question about original MEIOU. Why is it so late when Spain inherits the netherlands from austria? Wasn't the switch in the 1520s? I guess not

• 1Like
Reactions:
One question about original MEIOU. Why is it so late when Spain inherits the netherlands from austria? Wasn't the switch in the 1520s? I guess not
Because the event for that requires a union between Spain and Austria, which usually happens quite late.

Ok i can't question the mod of all mods for EU3 ;) Or what that magna mundi? You both get credit for A+ mods, the amount of work done must of been monumental and all for free, just living off giving the community here a well polished mod and a good gaming experience.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ok i can't question the mod of all mods for EU3 ;) Or what that magna mundi? You both get credit for A+ mods, the amount of work done must of been monumental and all for free, just living off giving the community here a well polished mod and a good gaming experience.
oGccuEE.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
Certainly we owe a debt to gigau for the excellent MEIOU which has sucked more hours of my life than I'd like to admit...

Myself, I prefer EU3. EU4 is definitely a good game and there is a lot of fun to be had, but there's something about it that just feels off to me. It doesn't feel as grounded as EU3 and especially EU2. Those games feel more like a complete experience to me. Obviously EU3 is in its final form now and EU4 hasn't been which partially explains this, but the fact that EU4 with the necessary expansions costs nearly $200 or more if you buy the whole collection on steam, versus only $35 for EU3 and all expansions is incredible and shows the issue with this. EU4 is 8 years old, and most of these expansions are getting quite old too but it's still very pricey. You need these to get the full experience.

The mentioned issue with restarting saves is a big issue I have too. It very well could be that patches for EU4 are coming to an end, but it's still a shame that many games i played in 2017 are no longer accessible without using a NoSteam cracked version which I don't like doing. I have some really old EU3 saves that I still fire up sometimes to play with other nations and undermine the empire I had spent so much time building up.

I'm sure a part of it also does come down to which game you started with/played the most, for me my favorite will always be EU2 but that's what I played the most of (I had EU1 for mere weeks before getting EU2, so not too much time logged there) and defines my Europa Universalis experience. EU3 ranks second and EU4 last.

Frankly I largely favor the 3, even when the 4 was thrown I favored the 3.
Not that the 4 was bad in 2012 on the contrary it was good (whereas today .... meh ...) but simply that I always found that the 4 looked more like a Cookie-Clicker (and it's even worse today) than EUIII which definitely comes closer to 1/2.
On the 4 I spend my time pressing Mana buttons to increase stats and get points while on the 3/2/1 you have to manage the economy, technology, ETC supply ... with Sliders taking into account a bunch of criteria, especially since war is more expensive and dangerous on EU3 / 2/1 than on 4.
I understand that Paradox made their games more accessible but that made them more boring ...
So it worked since most people who play 4 never touch 3/2/1 and therefore will never experience the long and demanding learning of old Paradox games.
All the worse, anyway the 4 today is in its worst period and the studio is turning into a cash machine with more and more easy and hollow games ... I'm afraid for VIC3.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hear you guys. EU2 had me going to bed 3 am for months. EU3 is nice, EU4 I"m still getting used to so i don't wantt to criticize yet. All I know is EU3 dind't leave me with an adiction that EU1 and EU2 did. EU1 was grand, EU2 grandest. ANd oh, the mods. EDIT I think the music in game has alot to do with addiction. EU2 took the best classical composers from said time period and infused them into the game, and the music does make all the difference. I know 3 and 4 have good music composed for just the game, but i can't say EU2 did it wrong either

The music of EU2 is magical to say the least and is one of the reasons I consider that game to be one of the closest to being a piece of art itself. I have since collected much of the BIS catalog of CDs that the soundtrack was ripped from, finding much more excellent music as a result.

EU2's editor could also be quite powerful if you took the time to learn how to use it, allowed easy creation of custom scenarios, paired with custom events it made for some really fun matches. It included countries that couldn't normally come into play, Italy and the Holy Roman Empire for example.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because the event for that requires a union between Spain and Austria, which usually happens quite late.
Not from me playing the GC. It's when you cycle around finding a later start date. I think it's either the 1550s or 1560s Spain gets the Netherlands.

So Im forcing myself to play EU4. Not totally addicting but better than EU3 in a few ways. The music is way better, there's more options of things to do while waiting for a war to come around, and i really like all the NA natives in the base game. And of course the graphical improvement. It can't rival a fresh install of EU2 say during the fall of 2001 but it is definately in a few ways better than EU3

I honestly prefer the EU3 graphical style to that of EU4. EU4's bump mapping for hills and mountains really distracts from the borders of countries IMHO, and the colours are chosen oddly at times (rivers seem grey instead of blue). EU4 also has a very "busy" feel to everything.

Personally I think that Eu3's graphics are much better. I love paper map compared to Eu4's... whatever THAT is. Ck3 and VIC3 (like it seems thus far) is huge step up in both quality of visuals and art style itself. EU4 lacks latter especially. But mechanics wise I think, for me, Eu4 blows Eu3 out of the water there. It's just way more fun to play. but I guess you will never hear that on these forums, cuz it's EU3 forums and only people who still play it come here. Regardless, I thought so from the release day that EU4's graphics are extremely bad. Especially compared to Eu3's and Vic2 paper map.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm more into EU4 graphics, much more. The detailed map with mountain ranges and stuff, units are that much more detailed. And there's still stuff im learning about EU4 as Im a new comer to that game

Can anyone help me out? Spain should get the netherlands in 1521, not 1550. I'll deal with out my NA natives but not this! Ive been around all the files and can't find the event to edit the date

edit

So i looked in history - diplomacy - alliances and i think i've found my answer. Austria and SPain are alllied 1516 and in a union 1519. Lets see if it works!

edit

so that's not the problem, the problem is each province needs to be modded earlier as a spanish posession THey alll say january 14th 1556

Last edited:
I don't really mind the graphics either way. I just find EU3's mechanics and features are more logical and understandable for the layman, rather than being heavily abstracted and with ambitious mechanics that change the nature of how one plays the game. EU4 definitely has the edge in terms on pure content and developer interactivity, even when comparing it to EU3's peak.

EU4 is definately a step up with graphics, I just find all the new features a bit of an over kill or unnessasary. EU3 for what it's worth was all the EU series needed. Thought or opinions?

I have a hard time loving EU3 compared to back in the day addicted to EU1 and 2, but i can't stand EU4. I cant get myself to play more than 20 minutes of it. And the constant patches make me always have to start a new game. Im sure this is the last expansion that just came out so ill wait a bit for it to closer to a final patch
Johan mentioned in yesterday's EUIV Dev Diary that:
'we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack.'

So it'll be at least another year until EUIV Development / Patches finish.

I just wish they would do some tidying up of the later start dates for EU4. But i see what you're saying about an overdone, overly mechaniced game