Game is visible in Taskmanager but launcher won't start (XBOX Game Pass)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My friend has tried all the solutions and nothing. I can only assume this is a Microsoft Store issue (wouldn't surprise me) of some kind and Paradox talking with them or checking their Game Pass distribution would be required to fix it for all users.

If messing with anti-virus or changing store location fixed it for you, luckyyy.

Just chiming in to add my experience. The game worked fine for me when it was first released months ago. In the time since then is when the "Antimalware Service Executable" started seeming to go nuts and CKIII would fail to open the launcher.

I did get it working via turning off Real-time protection, but tried a bunch of other stuff from around the 'net first. It's possible it was a combination of Real-time protection and one of these other measures:
  • Create exception rules for/disable Windows Defender firewall & ransomware protection
  • Create exception rules for/disable third-party antivirus (was only using Malwarebytes - I simply disabled it)
  • Uninstall and reinstall the game
  • Sign your Microsoft account out of the Xbox app and add it again
  • Create a shortcut to the game and "run as administrator"
  • Delete a number of files related to the Paradox launcher and CKIII game from AppData:
    • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2
    • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Paradox Interactive\launcherpath
    • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2
  • Delete a number of files from C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III:
    • .launcher-cache
    • dlc_load.json
    • game_data.json
    • mods_registry.json
  • Launch the game through the Microsoft Store instead
  • "Repair" and/or "Reset" the app through the "Advanced Options" on the CKIII entry in the Add/Remove Programs interface
I do use a non-standard installation location for my Xbox app - it is configured to install games to my X drive. I do wonder if that could be some factor in all this.

CKIII's real install path on my system is X:\WindowsApps\ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.96.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny, which is hardlinked to by C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.96.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny . I tried every File, Folder, and Process exclusion I could think of to try an exclude the files and binaries in both directories from Windows Security's measures, but as others have detailed the exclusions had no effect - only disabling real-time protection.

As a final note, my system does seem to experience the issue detailed here on Microsoft Answers, where every 10 seconds an event detailing some sort of Activation permissions error related to the Xbox app is recorded. answers (dot) microsoft (dot) com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_wowpc-xba_gowxb/xbox-beta-app-creating-system-logs-every-10-secs/30c060e3-3a89-4f7c-acf2-306c28e168e8

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So I'm not sure if this will be helpful information, but I've been encountering this same problem, and I tried going into the WindowsApps directory and navigating to ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.96.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny\launcher\bin and setting cpatch to 'run as administrator' in the compatibility tab. (Right click cpatch.exe, choose properties, switch to compatibility tab.)

When I try to run after that, I get this exception:

1619329044235.png

But after I hit OK the launcher comes up!

• 2Like
Reactions:
So I'm not sure if this will be helpful information, but I've been encountering this same problem, and I tried going into the WindowsApps directory and navigating to ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.96.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny\launcher\bin and setting cpatch to 'run as administrator' in the compatibility tab. (Right click cpatch.exe, choose properties, switch to compatibility tab.)

When I try to run after that, I get this exception:

View attachment 708818

But after I hit OK the launcher comes up!
Um, this works.
Yeah this works, so something is going on with cpatch not having necessary permissions to read/write to the disk.
All the jazz about anti-virus stuff and such doesn't do anything.
So to do this, here are the steps:
Go to your Windows Apps folder (typically located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps)
If it asks for permission to access, you'll need to right click the folder, go to the security tab, click "Advanced", then change the PRINCIPAL at the top (put in your windows username)
Apply, then close the window.
If it didn't ask you or you have set up access from the steps above, go to ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.96.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny within the Windows Apps folder.
Then go to launcher ---> bin
When you see cpatch.exe, right click it then go to Properties
Then once that's open, go to Compatibility
Check "Run this program as an administrator" then click Apply.
Click Ok.
Then try launching Crusader Kings 3.
The error that taconium got will appear, just click ok.
Play as normal.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Um, this works.
Yeah this works, so something is going on with cpatch not having necessary permissions to read/write to the disk.
Go to your Windows Apps folder (typically located in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps)
If it asks for permission to access, you'll need to right click the folder, go to the security tab, click "Advanced", then change the PRINCIPAL at the top (put in your windows username)
If it didn't ask you or you have set up access from the steps above, go to ParadoxInteractive.ProjectTitus_1.0.96.0_x64__zfnrdv2de78ny within the Windows Apps folder.
Click Ok.
Play as normal.
Glad this worked for you as well. (And nice job elaborating on how to actually get access to WindowsApps. I didn't even think to mention it.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Um, this works.
Click Ok.
Play as normal.
ok this + reinstal work for my :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Um, this works.
Click Ok.
Play as normal.

Note with this fix, mods don't work at all.
Even manually throwing them into the mod folder does nothing.

On the bright side, the game works fine.

Um, this works.
Click Ok.
Play as normal.
Thank you for your message that solved my problem

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you go into the Ransomware - Apps Allowed Through function, there's a list of blocked apps there. Are our launcher or this game listed there? If so allow them.
I think this is the problem, we can't even get a launcher, is it possible we don't have the launcher anymore in our version? maybe it isn't included in the new versions install? because even gaining permission into WindowsApps I cant find the launcher anywhere, just the game files.

I think this is the problem, we can't even get a launcher, is it possible we don't have the launcher anymore in our version? maybe it isn't included in the new versions install? because even gaining permission into WindowsApps I cant find the launcher anywhere, just the game files.
I take that back, I did a fresh Install onto a different drive and did the WindowsApps method on all 3 SSD and found the newest cpatch.exe file, ticked run as administrator in properties then hit play, got an error and then it started up fine.

It appears the default settings on the cpatch file doesn't have enough permissions so we have to do it manually, which is painful because as you know Microsoft store games are locked down tight. I believe most people who had their issue fixed by disabling anti virus software was on steam or para. But this file was never going to work with its settings, it needed admin

I take that back, I did a fresh Install onto a different drive and did the WindowsApps method on all 3 SSD and found the newest cpatch.exe file, ticked run as administrator in properties then hit play, got an error and then it started up fine.

It appears the default settings on the cpatch file doesn't have enough permissions so we have to do it manually, which is painful because as you know Microsoft store games are locked down tight. I believe most people who had their issue fixed by disabling anti virus software was on steam or para. But this file was never going to work with its settings, it needed admin
No, disabling windows defender 'worked' for me, gamepass version as everyone in these thread (I hope).
It's not a real solution but still.

I tried changing the compatibility settings for cpatch and I was able to get the same error message, but the launcher does not show up afterwards. It did seem to have an effect as in task manager processes I no longer see cpatch under Crusader Kings III and only see three variations of the Paradox Launcher. I've turned off my antivirus and tried running the game as administrator, along with multiple reinstalls and computer restarts. Have I done the process incorrectly, or is there something more I can do to actually make the launcher appear?

I tried changing the compatibility settings for cpatch and I was able to get the same error message, but the launcher does not show up afterwards. It did seem to have an effect as in task manager processes I no longer see cpatch under Crusader Kings III and only see three variations of the Paradox Launcher. I've turned off my antivirus and tried running the game as administrator, along with multiple reinstalls and computer restarts. Have I done the process incorrectly, or is there something more I can do to actually make the launcher appear?
I can only say what actually worked for me after like 10 hours of trying to fix it. I had the exact same issue as you and the compatibility error is a different one to what these guys are getting for whom its working.

What i did after getting fed up with it all and not being able to get the error message i just started deleting anything to do with crusader kings on any of my drives in any hidden folder that might contain anything.

Now i dont remember what i actually deleted cuz this was a while ago but try and find any mention of ck and delete all of it, the documents folder, the game and any leftovers after u uninstalled it that u can find. after that i reinstalled and it worked to my surprise, but remove all the compatibility shit from the windows store cpatch exe cuz thats the wrong thing u only want the administator error message, if u dont get that it wont work.