A Modest Proposal, or Why Cities Should Eat Pops

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*it's possible to run decisions on uninhabited worlds, so long as they're instantaneous (as there is no drawn progress bar), no vanilla decisions do this. Quite a useful feature for biasing the AI in my tests though lol.
You can actually consecrate uninhabited worlds, even asteroids. And I believe you can even make them timed, you just won't be able to see the time or cancel them (since there's no build queue). Both those issues are solvable with some workarounds; you could make a timed modifier that tells you how long until the decision finishes, and add another decision (call it "cancel original_decision_name_here") that adds a one-day timed modifier that breaks the original decision (make the original decision only doable if that modifier isn't present via the potential block).

consecrate uninhabited worlds, even asteroids.
Huh, I've only ever done it on Gaia and ocean worlds, never thought to try a Gas giant, for example.

And I believe you can even make them timed,
Yep correct. You can, it just doesnt show up on uncolonised worlds, you can work around it using planet modifiers that have a tool tip that reads back a time/variable anchored in the planet entity - something like this in localisation "modded_planet_modifier_tooltip_desc: "text [planet.myvariable] months remaining".

Though, with my earlier example, using the caravaneers, it'd be an instant effect to apply the modifier. Not much point in dragging the process out when you'd be building a habitat there after too.

But the above point with variables/static modifiers could be used to create - say - a "military battle station" to bring back pre 2.0 style fortresses [like below is a mid-sized one], anchored around certain worlds, entirely through decisions (letting you modify its loadout/gun-platforms[x4 below] via decision too) - decisions are extremely easy to setup AI logic for, so you could flag and teach the AI how to build orbital fortresses on chokepoint stars (which have special flags and the trigger to test it is "is_bridge = <yes/no>").

1620240081850.png

Last edited:
It's an interesting proposal.

Unfortunately, the tone of this approach would undermine my suspension of disbelief about how large a fraction of the population is engaged in primary industry (resource extraction) in an electrical civilization ostensibly 200 years more advanced than ours.
Also why would modern day problems be replicated 200 years in the future, and why would a planet be 100% urban metro just because its main export is alloys? The urban vs. rural fertility gap has only grown to such an extreme recently.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think you're wrong about anything you are saying, BUT:

Do not extrapolate specifically human phenomena to all extraterrastial life.
While you can make a decent case for all roughly human-like lifeforms would see this effect, it is quite a stretch to assume that there are only lifeforms like us with societies like ours.
Maybe there are species where cities grow to be huge breeding facilities, because of the constant availability of partners and no social/societal/economic reasons not to have kids. (i.e. a society where "parenting" isn't really a thing, but kids get raised by society and not the individuals that spawned them.)

Extreme cases would be:
Devouring Swarm and Rogue Servitor. The concept makes absolutely no sense for them as a default and they would have to be excluded from that mechanic (or have it optional).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Stelalris starts in 2200. Most civilization would probably be pretty hygenic and not have pathlogens by then.

Reactions:
Conflict should be the population sink.
Yeah invasions should kill pops more. And i like the idea of some sort of new "manpower" mechanic which you would get from pops. And if you recruit enough of it pops could dissapear. And maybe some sort of pop size like in vicky 2?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also why would modern day problems be replicated 200 years in the future, and why would a planet be 100% urban metro just because its main export is alloys? The urban vs. rural fertility gap has only grown to such an extreme recently.
It's a thing which was written about as far back as 40 BCE, here's a quick & dirty pair of citations:
Wikipedia said:
The Greek historian Polybius largely blamed the decline of the Hellenistic world on low fertility rates,[35] writing in his work The Histories that:

In our time all Greece was visited by a dearth of children and generally a decay of population, owing to which the cities were denuded of inhabitants, and a failure of productiveness resulted, though there were no long-continued wars or serious pestilences among us…. For this evil grew upon us rapidly, and without attracting attention, by our men becoming perverted to a passion for show and money and the pleasures of an idle life, and accordingly either not marrying at all, or, if they did marry, refusing to rear the children that were born, or at most one or two out of a great number, for the sake of leaving them well off or bringing them up in extravagant luxury.[36]

In a speech to Roman nobles, the Emperor Augustus commented on the low birthrates of the Roman elite:[37][verification needed][full citation needed]

We liberate slaves chiefly for the purpose of making out of them as many citizens as possible. We give our allies a share in the government that our numbers may increase; yet you, Romans of the original stock, including Quintii, Valerii, Iulii, are eager that your families and names at once shall perish with you.[38]

Do not extrapolate specifically human phenomena to all extraterrastial life.
Slug-people and machine intelligences and arachnid hive-minds all decided to use the exact same four hull types -- with the same hull names -- which were all taken from historical human Earth navies.

Don't let the terrestrial origin of a good mechanic break your SoD, everything else in the game is also from Earth.

Maybe there are species where cities grow to be huge breeding facilities
Sure, they're the ones who pick Bio Ascension and build Clone Vats. This mechanic covers them just fine. In my proposal, Bio-Assembly works perfectly well on urban worlds -- no penalty, just the expected growth.

Devouring Swarm and Rogue Servitor. The concept makes absolutely no sense for them as a default and they would have to be excluded from that mechanic (or have it optional).
Yep, this proposal is ONLY for regular empires. Gestalts would need their own balance done separately from this.

Conflict should be the population sink.
That's also a good idea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And lets not forget that people constantly move from the city to the suburbs when it comes time to have children and reproduce, which probably skews the original stats you pull from, which in Stellaris is reflected with net migration being zero ('younger' people move to city worlds, adults move to rural worlds with their savings, etc).
That might be true in the US, maybe in the UK. Where I live (Brazil) people might move out of the big cities when they retire (at sixtyish), and definitely not before unless they are civil engineers touring the country after construction work. I'm fairly sure this situation holds in most developing countries.

Anyway, I think the idea of having research and alloys contribute to negative planetary growth is a great idea, exactly because it requires the player to balance their economy so that the population doesn't shrink. Also the historical sources are absolutely impressive. Congrats to the OP.

Reactions:
Yes, good idea I approve this.

I actually just finished telling my brother Stellaris model of pop growth is so unrealistic cuz in Stellaris, urban city don't eat pop.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Stelalris starts in 2200. Most civilization would probably be pretty hygenic and not have pathlogens by then.
Cities apparently fail to breed enough people to maintain population even when they have clean air, clean water, plentiful food, and good doctors.

Reactions:
If I've understood you right, IMO, the only jobs that would make sense for this kind of pop-killing are criminal and maybe mining jobs.
Sure, forges are dirty places too (even modern day ones) but to achieve pop-levels of deaths ... you'd have to be fuelling the forges with the pops lol.

Crime impacting growth (either -growth, or kill_pop events) would be a very easy way to make the mechanic go from "a joke" to "Deploy Judge Dredd, Now!" (which is probably a good way to justify the AI building police stations on every moon).

Other than that, maybe each industrial district and mining district should reduce pop growth directly, call it "pollution" or "strife" or whatever you like really. (and on thrall worlds they ADD pop growth - see: pre-industrial family size lol).

There is one other issue, I'm not totally sure of the answer to: I do not think a pop from the same species can grow and decline at the same time... normally.
  • If a human pop is growing, it's because there is X base growth + any extra growth specific to their species + a weight (if mult pops in empire) which has made the game pick them as the next pop to grow.
  • If you have positive species X growth, it shouldn't be able to pick that species to decline too. And vice versa.
    • So killing these pops off would either have to be handled via events/scripts directly OR
    • You need an event/script that will flag pops with "is_polluted [etc]" and tell the game, in addition to whatever you already look at for declining pops, discrete pops with this flag must always decline, too.
Without doing something like this, you'll likely screw up the pop-selection algorithm and get weird results with how species are selected for growth.
I think you misunderstood, it's not that urban city literally kill people but it somehow have an uncanny way (from numerous factors) to make itself a net negative in fertility (people birth is lower than people dead in urban city) and it's only viable because people from outside that city migrate into it.

And because Stellaris deoesn't model pop death from old age or other factors the solution to make pop growth in Stellaris more realistic (and not SOD breaking in how they cap pop unlike the empire wide pop penalty that a lot of people dislike right now) from OP suggestion is that to make pop death in urban planet via scaling with industrial job (alloy and CG producer).

So no, making criminal job killing pop wouldn't make sense because it's not about alloy and CG job literally killing pop but it's to simulate how urban city kill fertility and need to rely on migration for pop growth.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That might be true in the US, maybe in the UK. Where I live (Brazil) people might move out of the big cities when they retire (at sixtyish), and definitely not before unless they are civil engineers touring the country after construction work. I'm fairly sure this situation holds in most developing countries.

Anyway, I think the idea of having research and alloys contribute to negative planetary growth is a great idea, exactly because it requires the player to balance their economy so that the population doesn't shrink. Also the historical sources are absolutely impressive. Congrats to the OP.
This also happens in the US, except American retirees also often move to nearby developing countries because their retirement fund stretches a lot further in Belize than California.

So you get something of a cycle where people are broadly born in rural or small urban areas, many move to cities as young adults, and then many of those move back to the country when they retire.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It has certainly been a while, but I have just seen this, and I think that this is a genius idea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This population trend doesn't make sense for machines (assembled at a factory, organic pops are specifically bred), synths (are pretty much immortal and new population is assembled) or hiveminds (born in hatcheries). It also doesn't make sense for pops living under higher living standards: what causes the cities' population to die out is that city living is expensive, rather cramped, and plentiful workforce makes lower-wage jobs pay much less than is actually required, making rearing children more often than not a burden and a huge risk (compare also how much it costs to bring up a child from birth through higher education pretty much necessary for a city job versus bringing someone up to work as a farmer or miner). You wouldn't expect such a trend from an egalitarian utopia, which would be expected to pay for a child and give them the best of the best, freeing the parents from the burden of choosing between making a career to pay the bills or breeding like rabbits.

Sure, OP does bring up relevant statistics, but statistics exist to be interpreted. They are not knowledge in and of themselves. Cities aren't some magical fertility inhibitors. People there don't produce zygotes because they use protection during sex, they aren't barren.

• 1Like
Reactions:
With the way the game currently works in 3.2, doesn't it really already do that? If you just leave the sliders at default, the game does require more and more growth to grow pops the more the game progresses.

My current game: Go all the way back to day 1 and it costs me 108 growth to make a pop. Fast forward to year 2412, and its now taking 605.7 growth to make a pop. That is a very significant slow down to pop-growth in my game. I've stagnated around 1500 pops total now and to really grow its much more efficient to go 'liberate' pops from neighboring empires.

However, having the game move along at basically the speed it did on day 1 at end game crisis time is nice, to be sure.

With the way the game currently works in 3.2, doesn't it really already do that? If you just leave the sliders at default, the game does require more and more growth to grow pops the more the game progresses.

My current game: Go all the way back to day 1 and it costs me 108 growth to make a pop. Fast forward to year 2412, and its now taking 605.7 growth to make a pop. That is a very significant slow down to pop-growth in my game. I've stagnated around 1500 pops total now and to really grow its much more efficient to go 'liberate' pops from neighboring empires.

However, having the game move along at basically the speed it did on day 1 at end game crisis time is nice, to be sure.

No, what you're describing is a galaxy-wide penalty which you can't manage.

What I'm talking about is a planet-specific mechanic which you CAN manage -- you can do many things to feed your engines of industry, including:

- Breeder / Feeder rural worlds
- Clone vats
- Wars to acquire slaves or citizens which you re-located back to your industrial worlds
- Migration treaties with naive AIs who provide unemployed pops (this should be a personality type)
- Thrall worlds
- Robots

The galaxy-wide malus is not something I like, so replacing it is what this proposal is about.

The end result should be a slower growth curve than 2.8, but it should not feel the same as the 3.2 mechanic.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Poverty might (and i'd rather not go down that path as the game doesnt model income disparity, outside of maybe CG upkeep and a few named jobs), but, I should have been clearer, when I referred to crime I meant criminal jobs themselves (which In my mind, I think of more like organised crime families), as gangs and syndicates probably don't help growth. If anything they could reduce immigration and increase emigration [which would have the effect of reducing growth rate - base growth rate - on that world].
Criminals and cartels are responsible for most human/exotic animal/alien smuggling.

This Nature article might be of interest for this discussion. "Limitations to population growth are either density-dependant or density-independent. Density-dependent factors include disease, competition, and predation... Density-independent factors, such as environmental stressors and catastrophe, are not influenced by population density change." There are a number of good sources and further readings available at the bottom.

Humans are hardly the only animal population on the planet to have reached a point where competition amongst their own population is a limiter on growth once other aspects are mitigated.

• 2Like
Reactions:
One of the most interesting suggestions in this forum, indeed.

Some time ago, I came up with a similar idea: occupied building slots and districts increasing the urbanization level of a planet and thus, decreasing its pop growth, with colonies getting fewer building slots the further away they were from your capital.

A clunky way of imitating a "metropolis VS colony" dynamic, with developed planets offering tons of jobs yet no demographic growth, and fringe worlds growing tons of pops with very few places to work at.

I don't know if it could have worked as well as the OP version of that idea, but I certainly support the whole "limiting population through urbanization ("cities eating pops") concept rather than the current band-aid of a global pop cap.

• 1Like
Reactions: