• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are a lot of old-timers contributing to this thread, and it's great to see them again, but I want to provide some background to the story of Vicky 2 that Johan didn't include. When the original Victoria came out, it was utterly brilliant in concept and kind of inscrutable to play -- which is why I loved it. I think it also sold pretty poorly, especially in comparison to EU and HOI, which were the games that were paying the bills. Despite its handicaps, though, for some reason Paradox decided to produce an expansion/update to the game, called Victoria: Revolutions in 2006. It was a tiny operation -- Pontus Aberg was the lead, Chris King was also there, and Johan worked in the background (someone at Paradox can correct me if I'm wrong about who participated). OHGamer and I worked insanely hard on it as betas, especially OHGamer, and there are other people I remember participating as well -- Pax Mondo, Johnny Canuck, Vulture. Others? I've forgotten now.
Anyway, that expansion was well received, and I guess it sold decently enough to convince Paradox that the game deserved a full reboot. And so -- here we are!
Over the years I participated in about half a dozen Paradox games as either an alpha or beta, but of all of those I am by far the proudest of Victoria: Revolutions. By far.

• 6Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There are a lot of old-timers contributing to this thread, and it's great to see them again, but I want to provide some background to the story of Vicky 2 that Johan didn't include. When the original Victoria came out, it was utterly brilliant in concept and kind of inscrutable to play -- which is why I loved it. I think it also sold pretty poorly, especially in comparison to EU and HOI, which were the games that were paying the bills. Despite its handicaps, though, for some reason Paradox decided to produce an expansion/update to the game, called Victoria: Revolutions in 2006. It was a tiny operation -- Pontus Aberg was the lead, Chris King was also there, and Johan worked in the background (someone at Paradox can correct me if I'm wrong about who participated). OHGamer and I worked insanely hard on it as betas, especially OHGamer, and there are other people I remember participating as well -- Pax Mondo, Johnny Canuck, Vulture. Others? I've forgotten now.
Anyway, that expansion was well received, and I guess it sold decently enough to convince Paradox that the game deserved a full reboot. And so -- here we are!
Over the years I participated in about half a dozen Paradox games as either an alpha or beta, but of all of those I am by far the proudest of Victoria: Revolutions. By far.
Yes, I think of Victoria:Revolutions lately as I see Imperator:Rome put on hiatus.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I think of Victoria:Revolutions lately as I see Imperator:Rome put on hiatus.
That's an apt comparison. What's been done with I:R since release has been quite impressive to see. The original launch was not so good, shall we say, but they've done good work since then.
There's an interesting question here about when a game should be put to bed. For myself, I think EU4 ran out of steam several years ago, for example, and perhaps a similar case could be made for Stellaris, although I am not really all that current with the state of that game. So maybe not every game needs or deserves to have dlc extending into an infinite future. I hope they are proud of the extra effort they have put into I:R and someday it sees another full release. And meanwhile, if that means more resources are available for Vicky 3, then who am I to complain? ;)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
It's really nice hearing about some of the development. I remember being so excited buying Victoria 2 and following the development. I need to hug my physical copy of the game.

Yet, where does "sexual identity" fit into all of this?