HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That Swiss general does not have a generic portrait. This either means they're expanding generic portraits or that there is indeed some focused work on Switzerland.
Or they're just trolling us hard.
(It could be both combat width rework and something Switzerland related)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
For those who though that would be Italy/Swiss focus tree - there is only one situation when Switzerland can go on war and its when Germany goes for "Operation Tannenbaum" and Italy always goes on this war. Btw. great to see more combat mechanics.

I mean, they are playing the "it doesn't fit with the theme for the DLC" card for not having Italy in, so including Switzerland would be... contradictory.

• 6Like
Reactions:
That Swiss general does not have a generic portrait. This either means they're expanding generic portraits or that there is indeed some focused work on Switzerland.
Or they're just trolling us hard.
(It could be both combat width rework and something Switzerland related)
(That generic portrait was added in the anniversary DLC which was free for everyone)
Edit:

Last edited:
Isn't it obvious? Liechtenstein DLC status: confirmed.

Q: Isn't Liechtenstein between Austria and Switzerland? Why is Italy there?
A: That was two questions. Also, shush.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
I'll be a bit disappointed if they stick to rounded numbers instead of 72 which supports historical divisions.

I'd be very surprised if they aren't trying to do away with or blur the idea of an "always right" division width altogether. Minorly-variable combat widths and a reduction of the over-width penalties should mean that a much greater variety of widths become viable.

Reactions:
I'll be a bit disappointed if they stick to rounded numbers instead of 72 which supports historical divisions.
I know I'm gonna regret it, but WTF is a historical division? A square division? Triangular? Binary? The smaller ones from late in the war? Asking for the combat width mechanic to support some arbitrary (and never achieved) historical ideal is simple fantasy.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I know I'm gonna regret it, but WTF is a historical division? A square division? Triangular? Binary? The smaller ones from late in the war? Asking for the combat width mechanic to support some arbitrary (and never achieved) historical ideal is simple fantasy.
Oddly enough, 72 fits square, triangular, and binary formations, seeing as it's divisible by 4, 3, and 2.

It would, however, fail to fit the post-war USA "Pentatomic" division concept -- at least, not evenly.

Reactions:
Certainly not a 40 width heavy tank division.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
You just had to go there, did-en-ya? :p

Reminds me of a 1978 beer commercial, "My name? You can call me Ray, You can call me Jay..."

• 2Haha
Reactions:
75 combat width seems interesting enough, though what specific changes this is an effect of I can't really imagine. What bothers me though is that those are some really bad divisions being used. Swiss player needs to make more guns.

75 combat width seems interesting enough, though what specific changes this is an effect of I can't really imagine. What bothers me though is that those are some really bad divisions being used. Swiss player needs to make more guns.

Ah I was wondering why the stats were so low - I didn't pay attention to the manpower or strength bars at first glance.

Oddly enough, 72 fits square, triangular, and binary formations, seeing as it's divisible by 4, 3, and 2.

It would, however, fail to fit the post-war USA "Pentatomic" division concept -- at least, not evenly.
The pentatomic was such a bad idea that it doesn't deserve to be meta.

Reactions:
And the pentatomic isn't really relevant during WW2.

Anyway, I think we all understand that historic divisions in a WW2 game, will be historic-ish divisions of WW2. Not pre or post-war or 19th century. Sure some might have squares etc (and perhaps they are, for nations such as USA and Germany obsolete and modeled in the new system), but I think we get that it will revolve around 6-9 line battalions worth of infantry and/or tanks + support battalions/batteries. No need to be overly pedantic.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: