• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pocketing a pair of Japanese divisions may be a small victory, but it is quite significant. Japan always struggles to man their entire front line in China, eliminating even a few divisions eliminates a lot of their ability to mount any offensives later on. Once you've fought them to a stalemate you can start thinking about counterattacking with superior manpower.

The fall of Shanxi is less welcome, even if most of their troops are militia they are still bodies to fill the line. Hopefully Japan pressing up to the Communist front will make up for the loss.

Reactions:
Pocketing a pair of Japanese divisions may be a small victory, but it is quite significant. Japan always struggles to man their entire front line in China, eliminating even a few divisions eliminates a lot of their ability to mount any offensives later on.
I think that's the biggest advantage for China. Once the front expands, Japan gets stretched really thin, allowing me to take advantage of my superior numbers despite how weak my individual units are.
The fall of Shanxi is less welcome, even if most of their troops are militia they are still bodies to fill the line. Hopefully Japan pressing up to the Communist front will make up for the loss.
They're still holding in there, but it doesn't look good. I also noticed I'm facing a lot of Japan's cavalry while their armor and MOT divisions are in the north. If they redeploy the tanks against me, my militia will definitely struggle. I am definitely counting on the Communists being a nice distraction for me.

Reactions:
The Japanese were doing much better in Jinan because the Chinese were struggling to get their reserve divisions into the battle.
And if the doctrine tree in HPP is at all similar to vanilla, the one required to improve reinforcement odds will be a long way off for China, I’m assuming. It adds a degree of difficulty to the defensive recycling and can be very frustrating.
the Chinese would inflict substantial casualties but require many reinforcements to hold back the steady Japanese assault.
It is the death of a thousand cuts that China is committed to now. Patience and endurance.
Also on Sep. 21, the encirclement of Zibo was completed.
Good news!
On Sep. 25, the Japanese trapped in Zibo finally surrendered. They had inflicted heavy casualties on the Chinese attackers with both sides losing over 1000 men. However, a whole Japanese infantry division of almost 12000 men was captured together with a cavalry division of almost 9000 men. This battle was far from decisive, but it greatly bolstered Chinese morale and proved the Japanese were far from invincible.
As @nuclearslurpee observed and you have above, such genuine early victories are a real morale boost and would have the Japanese very worried. Soon, the IJA will be fearing an attack from the rear - in Tokyo, by their most implacable enemy: the IJN! :D
With the loss of Zibo, the Japanese finally called off their attacks on Kenli and Jinan. The battle of Jinan was the bloodiest yet of the war, with almost 4500 Chinese soldiers and 3000 Japanese falling. The battle had lasted almost all of March, pushing Chinese reserves to the limit.
A significant victory indeed and an indication that the Huang He Line, even if it falls eventually with Japanese forces freed from a defeat of Shanxi, will cost the Japanese a lot of men, and even more importantly, time.

At this point, is China aligning diplomatically? What is the strategic plan to defeat Japan and does China intend to ‘play’ as a partisan on one of the sides in the coming global war?

• 4Like
Reactions:
And if the doctrine tree in HPP is at all similar to vanilla, the one required to improve reinforcement odds will be a long way off for China, I’m assuming. It adds a degree of difficulty to the defensive recycling and can be very frustrating.
The doctrine tree is actually totally different in HPP. I believe it is roughly the same as in HOI2 DH. I have to choose an operational doctrine, infantry doctrine, and armored doctrine. These are supposed to help the different countries feel unique/historical rather than forcing the player to choose a few key techs from each doctrine line. The general purpose techs are then separated into training which boost the stats of different units. I can explain more if you're curious on the specifics of this change.

iahQrrz.png

TlbBIn5.png
Soon, the IJA will be fearing an attack from the rear - in Tokyo, by their most implacable enemy: the IJN! :D
Haha, it's good the navy fanatics from Eurasia's Japan AAR aren't here! They thought the IJA moving slowly was bad enough, how about actually losing a war!?
At this point, is China aligning diplomatically? What is the strategic plan to defeat Japan and does China intend to ‘play’ as a partisan on one of the sides in the coming global war?
I'm not intentionally aligning China. The UK/France periodically influence me, but it's mainly to keep me from drifting totally into the Axis. Overall, I want to try and break Japan in China by getting encirclements because I think I'll struggle to break into Manchuria because the front narrows so much.

I'm not sure how involved I will be getting China in the world war because I think the civil war can restart after I defeat Japan, and there're also several warlords I'll need to take care of. I don't think there's any benefit for China in joining the Comintern. The Axis seems logical because I can take the Allied treaty ports, Mongolia, and Halshenwai to restore the Qing Empire's borders. The Allies also would make sense because they could give me their treaty ports (HPP feature) and help finish off Japan.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on what makes the most sense for China to align to.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Part 9: Oct. and Nov. 1937
Part 9: October and November of 1937

CXWmJyB.png

October began with KMT forces pushing into Puyang, just north of the Huang He. Japan attempted to rush troops into the gap, but they were easily brushed aside by the KMT offensive. KMT forces would fight four small battles before fully occupying the province on Oct. 9. Once they arrived, they were met by a pinning attack from a single Japanese division. The whole point of the KMT offensive had been to lighten the load on Pingyin, which had been under heavy pressure since September.

28dOlK3.png

Chinese reinforcements continued to struggle to join the battle, forcing the KMT to withdraw from Pingyin. Both sides took heavy casualties, with the Chinese losing over 4200 while the Japanese lost 4800. However, several fresh divisions arrived in Pingyin before the Japanese could occupy the province, prolonging the conflict.

6d8V5rh.png

On Oct. 11, KMT forces withdrew from Puyang. The position was untenable, and the KMT hadn't been able to divert Japanese forces away from Pingyin. However, the NRA inflicted over 1000 casualties on the Japanese while only losing 500 themselves.

On Oct. 14, the Japanese called off their assault on Kenli, the easternmost portion of the Huang He Line. They lost another 1000 men to the KMT's 300. It was highly unlikely the Japanese could break through this portion of the line, but KMT reserves could not be shifted west due to the constant threat of attack.

The battle for Pingyin was not going well for the Chinese, so Japan attempted to expand the bridgehead by capturing Juye. The battle was in China's favor, but the Japanese would likely grind the defending militias down, demanding even more Chinese reinforcements. Chiang decided to focus his reserves on holding Juye because Pingyin was likely a lost cause.

vCi4cZu.png

On Oct. 16, KMT forces withdrew from Pingyin after suffering significant losses. Over 2000 Chinese soldiers had fallen while Japan lost less than 400. The KMT militias had borne the brunt of the fighting and struggled greatly after they had been forced to give up their entrenchments.

Juye was finally secured on Oct. 18 when the infantry that withdrew from Puyang launched a spoiling attack. The Japanese had been winning the battle, but they couldn't fight on two fronts at once.

The Japanese successfully secured Pingyin on Oct. 18, and they then attacked Juye once more on Oct. 20. After four days of heavy fighting KMT forces were forced to withdraw after taking heavy casualties. However, they had bought enough time for Chinese reinforcements to reach the neighboring provinces.

To the west, Shanxi held on despite overwhelming Japanese pressure. It took the Japanese over two weeks to reach the capital of Taiyuan, and Shanxi had heavily fortified the province. KMT forces were ordered to withdraw from Shanxi toward the Huang He. There were concerns they could be isolated and destroyed if Shanxi fell to Japan.

GpCxB2H.png

The Japanese sent one division to secure Juye, and it was quickly thrown out of the province by an overwhelming assault from the neighboring provinces. The Chinese sent forces to refortify the province as the nearby city of Zhengzhou was attacked.

40xsKQf.png

As November began, the Japanese assaulted Kenli once more. The Chinese had pulled some of the infantry from the province, hoping they could be redeployed west to the new Japanese focus. However, the Japanese assault pulled them back to Kenli.

2RWo6YI.png

On Nov. 4, Chiang received word that Shanxi's forces had been pushed out of Taiyuan. They planned to surrender to the Japanese as they no longer had the industry or manpower base to continue the war effort. Japanese troops did not reach the province until Nov. 8, closely followed by Shanxi's official surrender to the Empire of Japan. The northern portion of Shanxi was given to Mengjiang while the rest was annexed by Japan. This would allow the Japanese to deploy many formations further south, possibly against the Huang He Line or the Communists.

yVcFb16.png

On Nov. 5 and 6, KMT forces lost the battles of Kenli and Zhengzhou, respectively. Casualties had been significantly worse for the Chinese defenders, but new divisions were on their way to defend the provinces before Japan arrived. On Nov. 9, KMT forces kept Japan from crossing the Huang He at Kenli, losing over 1200 men in the process.

Note: After Shanxi's surrender, the Japanese pulled all of their troops away from the Huang He. I didn't push out because that seemed unfair to take advantage of AI issues. However, the CCP did not have any compunction about taking territory in an unfair way. This causes a bit of a gap in the action for a week and a half.

On Nov. 10, a non-aggression pact was formally signed between the Republic of China and the Soviet Union. The Soviets wanted China and Japan to remain locked in a bloody stalemate so that neither nation could threaten the Soviet Far East. Chiang gladly signed the agreement because a secret clause guaranteed Soviet support in weapons, trucks, and aircraft. The equipment would take some time to arrive, but this was the only support China was receiving beside German military advisors.

6j3kzBA.png

On Nov. 18, KMT forces were attacked in Yuncheng. It was hoped that the mountains would allow the militia to hold the province, but the Japanese did not face any river crossings. On Nov. 20, KMT forces withdrew across the Huang He after losing about 200 men.

vpJrZxl.png

On Nov. 22, the Japanese attempted to cross the Huang He at Kaifeng. They initially gained ground against the defending militias, but KMT infantry arrived on Nov. 27. The Japanese had no hope of crossing the river against professional infantry, so the attack was called off. Both sides lost about 800 men.

The end of November promised good news for the KMT. New offensive support weapons had been developed, while permission to build a motorized support brigade was obtained from Germany. Chiang hoped to build a motorized infantry division using German equipment that would provide some mobility to the NRA.

At the end of November, the Huang He Line still held strong. However, Shanxi had fallen and freed up Japanese forces. It appeared many of them had been directed against the Communists, but some had made their way south. Much of the Japanese focus had shifted to the center and west of the Huang He Line, but they still threatened to cross in the east. Chiang was beginning to plan a major offensive for the spring, but his forces would have to continue to hold the Huang He so preparations could be made...

pYld5rE.png

• 5Like
Reactions:
I'm not intentionally aligning China. The UK/France periodically influence me, but it's mainly to keep me from drifting totally into the Axis. Overall, I want to try and break Japan in China by getting encirclements because I think I'll struggle to break into Manchuria because the front narrows so much.

I'm not sure how involved I will be getting China in the world war because I think the civil war can restart after I defeat Japan, and there're also several warlords I'll need to take care of. I don't think there's any benefit for China in joining the Comintern. The Axis seems logical because I can take the Allied treaty ports, Mongolia, and Halshenwai to restore the Qing Empire's borders. The Allies also would make sense because they could give me their treaty ports (HPP feature) and help finish off Japan.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on what makes the most sense for China to align to.
If you do nothing, Japan will probably join the Axis at some point, which will eventually force China into the Allies anyways. I believe the German AI is conditioned to not accept China into the Axis unless it has rejected Japan, which is fairly rare.

As the Comintern is out of the question this leaves the Allies, but really there's no strong need to align to them early.

On Nov. 4, Chiang received word that Shanxi's forces had been pushed out of Taiyuan. They planned to surrender to the Japanese as they no longer had the industry or manpower base to continue the war effort. Japanese troops did not reach the province until Nov. 8, closely followed by Shanxi's official surrender to the Empire of Japan. The northern portion of Shanxi was given to Mengjiang while the rest was annexed by Japan. This would allow the Japanese to deploy many formations further south, possibly against the Huang He Line or the Communists.
Well, darn. It was nice while it lasted at least. Now to see what the Communists bring to the party...

At the end of November, the Huang He Line still held strong. However, Shanxi had fallen and freed up Japanese forces. It appeared many of them had been directed against the Communists, but some had made their way south. Much of the Japanese focus had shifted to the center and west of the Huang He Line, but they still threatened to cross in the east. Chiang was beginning to plan a major offensive for the spring, but his forces would have to continue to hold the Huang He so preparations could be made...
Good to see the Huang He holding well. In my campaigns the Japanese usually break through near the coast and the battle moves into the hill terrain, so this is an improvement.

Reactions:
As the Comintern is out of the question this leaves the Allies, but really there's no strong need to align to them early.
Thanks for your explanation of the various factions. I think the civil war and warlords will keep me plenty busy if I force Japan out of China.
Good to see the Huang He holding well. In my campaigns the Japanese usually break through near the coast and the battle moves into the hill terrain, so this is an improvement.
I'm really surprised too! I played a ROC game several years ago and Japan easily broke through along the coast. I think the big difference was that I sent some of my veteran militias from the Civil War there, and I committed my best troops a lot earlier than last time.

• 3Like
Reactions:
However, several fresh divisions arrived in Pingyin before the Japanese could occupy the province, prolonging the conflict.
This is often a good way to refresh a defence that has failed, rather than feeding in fresh units into a combat they won’t reinforce in time, then be forced to retreat. Though it is a hasty rather than prepared defence, so has trouble holding against a still-strong attack. Especially if the reinforcing group aren’t strong/hard units.
On Oct. 16, KMT forces withdrew from Pingyin after suffering significant losses. Over 2000 Chinese soldiers had fallen while Japan lost less than 400.
Alas, so it proved this time. You did everything you could and certainly slowed their advance, denying them momentum and allowing you to reorganise the wider defence. I imagine you will be doing a lot of this!
The KMT militias had borne the brunt of the fighting and struggled greatly after they had been forced to give up their entrenchments.
Yeah, that’s the rub. I know you don’t want to penny-pa let them, but in key positions, would it be worth having on regular inf div anchor, supported by the other militia divs?
To the west, Shanxi held on despite overwhelming Japanese pressure. It took the Japanese over two weeks to reach the capital of Taiyuan, and Shanxi had heavily fortified the province.
They’ve at least provided a fair delay and distraction.
On Nov. 4, Chiang received word that Shanxi's forces had been pushed out of Taiyuan. They planned to surrender to the Japanese
Though it had to happen eventually.
On Nov. 5 and 6, KMT forces lost the battles of Kenli and Zhengzhou, respectively. Casualties had been significantly worse for the Chinese defenders, but new divisions were on their way to defend the provinces before Japan arrived.
Hope they can hold this time.
However, the CCP did not have any compunction about taking territory in an unfair way. This causes a bit of a gap in the action for a week and a half.
Well, that’s both true to life and fair in-game, as it is one AI against the other. ;)
Chiang gladly signed the agreement because a secret clause guaranteed Soviet support in weapons, trucks, and aircraft. The equipment would take some time to arrive, but this was the only support China was receiving beside German military advisors.
That’s handy.
On Nov. 22, the Japanese attempted to cross the Huang He at Kaifeng. They initially gained ground against the defending militias, but KMT infantry arrived on Nov. 27.
Seems to be a pattern. Working out the mix between them reinforcing the line in place or doing from reserve must be a tricky one when the resource is limited.
At the end of November, the Huang He Line still held strong. However, Shanxi had fallen and freed up Japanese forces. It appeared many of them had been directed against the Communists, but some had made their way south.
Not too bad then. Mao forced to absorb some of the shock and awe.
Chiang was beginning to plan a major offensive for the spring, but his forces would have to continue to hold the Huang He so preparations could be made...
Ambitious. Hope it is sustainable by the spring and valuable lessons are learned for gauging Chinese offensive capacity and even some key ground taken.

I‘m really enjoying your AAR style and presentation - thanks! :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, that’s the rub. I know you don’t want to penny-pa let them, but in key positions, would it be worth having on regular inf div anchor, supported by the other militia divs?
I was doing that on the eastern edge of the line, but I wanted to concentrate the rest of my INF to counterattack. It would definitely be helpful, but I'm not sure if it would be decisive.
Seems to be a pattern. Working out the mix between them reinforcing the line in place or doing from reserve must be a tricky one when the resource is limited.
Yep, there are some places I just have to hold with INF. Every time I try to leave Kenli (easternmost province), the Japanese instantly attack. Problem is I want to be proactive rather than just responding to Japan's assaults.
Ambitious. Hope it is sustainable by the spring and valuable lessons are learned for gauging Chinese offensive capacity and even some key ground taken.

I‘m really enjoying your AAR style and presentation - thanks! :)
I've been upgrading infantry techs behind the scenes (I kind of forget to mention them as they develop), so my INF are finally catching up and might be able to attack effectively (with overwhelming numbers of course).

I'm glad you're enjoying the style! I really appreciate your comments because they give me motivation to keep posting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Part 10: Dec. 1937 and Jan. 1938
Part 10: December of 1937 and January of 1938

CXWmJyB.png

December continued much as the last month had. The Japanese had secured a bridgehead over the Huang He at Pingyin, but the rest of the line held despite repeated Japanese attacks. Even at Pingyin, the line appeared to be safe. 8 Chinese infantry divisions and several reserve militia divisions ensured the Japanese would greatly struggle to break out.

The Japanese attempted to expand their bridgehead at Pingyin by attacking Juye, the province just to the south. Initially, only an armored division attempted the crossing, but by Dec. 3, an infantry division had joined.

U4z8mGF.png

The Chinese militia had no answer to the Japanese tanks, so progress was made despite the river crossing necessary. However, the KMT launched a counterattack on Pingyin on Dec. 5. This forced the Japanese to call off the attack on Juye after both sides lost about 500 men. The KMT forces in Juye then joined the attack, increasing the pressure on the Japanese.

On Dec. 6, the Japanese once again tried to cross the Huang He at Kenli, the easternmost province along the Huang He. KMT infantry had been attempting to leave the province to return to the eastern line's reserve, and the Japanese thought they could cross the river as the infantry were no longer entrenched.

In the west, the Japanese attempted to take Hancheng. They had steadily been pushing CCP forces out of Shanxi, so it seemed they intended to encircle the Communists' territory and destroy them.

O16Uh1R.png

On Dec. 10, the Japanese gave up their assault on Kenli, having lost almost 2000 men to the KMT's 600. However, they saw their chance to cross the river on Dec. 13; the KMT infantry divisions had withdrawn from Kenli, leaving only 4 militia divisions to defend the river crossings. The KMT infantry were rushed back to Kenli, but it would take some time for them to arrive and reinforce.

In the west, the Japanese finally won the battle of Hancheng on Dec. 16. Both sides only lost 700 men each, but Chiang felt that the KMT militias had successfully stalled the Japanese long enough. Hancheng was a relatively worthless province, and the miltias would take up even stronger positions as they retreated west to Tongxian.

Later on Dec. 16, KMT forces had won the battle of Pingyin. Casualties had been especially heavy, with the NRA losing almost 3500 men to Japan's 2300. However, the attack deprived Japan of their only bridgehead over the Huang He, ending any threat of a sudden breakout.

YdzUqlb.png

The battle of Kenli still raged on, and the Japanese were beginning to make serious progress. Four reinforcing militia divisions arrived just in time to take over from their battered and disorganized comrades. The infantry divisions were still several days away, so it was hoped the militias could hold out until they arrived. Without their entrenchments, the militias were at a disadvantage against the hardened Japanese infantry facing them. However, the KMT infantry arrived on Dec. 21 and forced the Japanese to call off the attack. Both sides lost about 1200 men which was concerning because the Japanese had been attacking across a river.

The front remained quiet until Dec. 24. The Japanese launched an attack on KMT militias in Lingbao, southeast of Hancheng. The Japanese initially attacked with only one cavalry division, but they soon brought in an infantry division as well.

The KMT had no units in reserve along the western portion of the Huang He Line. It had been thought that the Japanese would be so focused on the coast there would be little effort to push into the interior of China. However, the Chinese defensive line had performed so well that the Japanese resorted to probing it all along the front to find a weak point to cross. Ultimately, two infantry divisions were pulled off the line nearby to reinforce the militia.

dhHYIwy.png

Despite Chinese reinforcements arriving, the battle for Lingbao would continue through the end of the month.

On Dec. 30, very good news arrived to Chiang and his closest advisors. The secret clause of the Sino-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact had finally been fulfilled. A wing of fighters and a wing of bombers had been delivered by the Soviets, complete with volunteers to pilot and maintain them. A portion of the volunteers would also set up a flight school to train Chinese pilots to take over the actual combat against Japan.

7TjphTI.png

Dra0xK2.png

Left: Tupolev SB-2 bomber, Right: Polikarpov I-16 'Ishak' and Chinese pilot

The delivery of modern aircraft would finally allow the Chinese to fight back against Japan in the air. Since the beginning of the war, Japanese bombers had indiscriminately bombed major Chinese cities including Nanjing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. Except for a handful of antiquated anti-aircraft guns, the Japanese had been essentially unopposed during the whole war. The small Chinese air force had scrambled their handful of biplane fighters, but they had all been lost quickly. The Soviet fighter wing would take some time to get organized, but they would likely provide a major surprise for the Japanese.

The end of the year left the frontlines largely unchanged. Pingyin had been regained while Hancheng was lost, but no other territory changed hands despite heavy losses on both sides.

The Japanese celebrated the New Year by launching a new attack on Weinan, to the west of Lingbao. They ended the attack on Lingbao later that day, losing over 1100 men. The KMT infantry that had won Lingbao immediately began marching west to assist in the defense of Weinan.

JsZ5TBt.png

On Jan. 4, the Japanese launched an attack on Zhengzhou. The central portion of the Huang He Line had been quiet throughout December, so this attack caught KMT reserves too far east.

O5lEpp4.png

On Jan. 8, the KMT militias withdrew from Weinan so the reinforcing infantry would be able to restart the defense. They lost 800 men, inflicting only 600 casualties on the Japanese.

On Jan. 9, the Chinese defenders were forced to withdraw from Zhengzhou. Despite the river crossing and urban terrain, they had only inflicted some 400 casualties while sustaining almost 1000. The Japanese would occupy the province with a single infantry division on Jan. 13. They immediately launched an attack on Kaifeng to the east. On Jan. 15, another Japanese attack was launched on Juye. The Japanese would substantially expand their bridgehead if they won either of these battles.

vlqts34.png

The battle for Kaifeng appeared to be lost, but fresh KMT militia joined the battle on Jan. 16. Chiang expected to lose Kaifeng, but he hoped it had bought time to reorganize forces and bring up reserves. The fresh militia were forced to retreat on Jan. 18. The Chinese lost almost 1400 men while the Japanese lost only 300. The Japanese commanders, Komatsubara and Shibazaki Keiji had totally outclassed their KMT opponents.

Later that same day, KMT infantry reinforced Juye, preventing a total collapse in the province. One day later, the Japanese called off the attack. They had almost broken through the militias, but they couldn't break the KMT infantry.

On Jan. 21, Chiang received further good news from the British ambassador. The United Kingdom had decided to begin shipping weapons and military supplies to the Republic of China through their colony in Burma. The British were likely concerned about Japan's possible ambitions if she succeeded in defeating China.

WSmmT0l.png

Later that day, Chiang was informed that sufficient Type 24 heavy machine guns had been produced to beginning equipping all of the Republic's infantry. This would greatly improve the KMT's ability to defend key positions against relentless Japanese assaults. Earlier in the month, Chinese military theorists had developed Deep Operations (Note: 1937 Human Wave doctrine), improving how many divisions could join a battle, as well as their tactics once in the battle.

yCtBRii.jpg

KMT soldiers using a Type 24 HMG (Chinese reproduction of the German MG08)

On Jan. 22, overwhelming KMT forces assaulted the Japanese as soon as they occupied Kaifeng. Despite Komatsubara's military genius, Chinese numbers proved overwhelming. He withdrew one day later after inflicting almost 400 casualties on the Chinese.

PNUV4na.png

KMT forces were immediately attacked as soon as they reoccupied Kaifeng. The militias struggled to hold the province, but two infantry divisions arrived, forcing the Japanese to call off the attack. The Japanese had inflicted almost 800 casualties, while taking less than 400. If the infantry had not arrived in time the province surely would have been lost.

After their loss in Kaifeng, the Japanese ended any offensives along the central front. Several days passed quietly, but the Japanese launched another assault on Lingbao on Jan. 30. They seemed unlikely to break through, but their armored division was attempting to support the attack. The Chinese militia had no defenses against the Japanese tanks, forcing them to use 'Dare to Die' units. KMT infantry were rushed to the province from Lingbao, but it would take them several days to arrive.

lnzA2of.png

z2vCt00.jpg

Japanese Ha-Go tank. While not impressive by Western standards, this tank was nearly invulnerable to the KMT's militias

The front had once again remained fairly static over the course of Jan. 1938. The Japanese had captured Zhengzhou but otherwise failed to cross the Huang He. They had focused significant forces on the west, but it had yet to pay off. The Communists had reported heavy fighting along their portion of the front, so it was possible the Japanese had still focused on the CCP after forcing them out of Shanxi. More concerningly, there had been several battles where dug in KMT militia had totally failed against determined Japanese assaults, and reinforcing militias were slaughtered in the open. The Japanese had likely learned from their numerous assaults on the Huang He, learning how to bypass Chinese strongpoints along the river. KMT infantry had salvaged the line numerous times, but there was not nearly enough to prevent a determined Japanese attack across the entire line...

aZYIfXE.png

• 4Like
Reactions:
December continued much as the last month had. The Japanese had secured a bridgehead over the Huang He at Pingyin, but the rest of the line held despite repeated Japanese attacks. Even at Pingyin, the line appeared to be safe. 8 Chinese infantry divisions and several reserve militia divisions ensured the Japanese would greatly struggle to break out.
Pingyin is such an annoying province to defend. It's necessarily part of a riverline, but can be attacked from four directions which usually makes the river pointless. I'd suggest it was designed this way on purpose to help the Japanese AI cross the river against the China AI, except that this never becomes a problem anyways for the AI.

In the west, the Japanese attempted to take Hancheng. They had steadily been pushing CCP forces out of Shanxi, so it seemed they intended to encircle the Communists' territory and destroy them.
May as well let them try. I've seen the Japanese take Yan'an maybe twice in all my time playing HPP, certainly not with a human player pressuring them as China proper.

z2vCt00.jpg

Japanese Ha-Go tank. While not impressive by Western standards, this tank was nearly invulnerable to the KMT's militias
Japanese tank development is a fascinating subject. They were actually quite capable of engineering suitable tanks, despite resource shortages throughout the war preventing mass production of the later designs which were roughly equivalent to the Shermans. Certainly Japanese tank engineers were not as inept as, say, the Italians. However, in practice Japanese tanks never really took off due to a number of factors. In part, Japan did suffer from the same problems as every other major power in the late '30s as far as tanks, namely that their tanks were underarmed, underarmored, underpowered, etc. due to being expected to function as infantry tanks rather than mobile armored spearheads. However there was also tremendous opposition to the use of tanks by entrenched old-school IJA generals who strongly objected to using machines to make war, believing this to tarnish the fighting spirit of the IJA infantrymen. This combined with poor doctrinal training (i.e., old generals not knowing how to use new weapons effectively) led to poor performance during the Manuchurian campaign which really shackled Japanese tank development until the '40s when the generals finally realized they would need tanks to fight the Allied armor.

As an aside, one might also attribute some measure of developmental stagnation to the fact that the Japanese did not have a SCW equivalent to test their tanks against serious opposition, which drove significant developments in German and Russian armor. However as the French seem to have done just fine without sending any tanks to Spain this is hardly a sufficient excuse.

Anyways, I get ahead of myself. The Ha-Go at least was broadly comparable to any European interwar tank of the same period at least on paper, certainly superior to the Renaults and Panzer Is exported to the NRA in this time frame, and actually competitive against the M3 Stuarts later in the Philippines albeit in quite favorable conditions. For the Western standard-setters to consider it unimpressive places tremendous pressure on such individuals to define what, then, would impress them - or else they must admit that their Matilda Is and Panzer IIs are hardly any better at this juncture.

----

As for the wider war, I can't help but notice a lack of any warlord divisions plugging up the lines. Have you issued call-to-arms for your supposed allies yet? I believe in HPP this has to be done manually by the player rather than by event, although I thought at least the Ma Clique would be involved from the beginning.

• 4Like
Reactions:
For the Western standard-setters to consider it unimpressive places tremendous pressure on such individuals to define what, then, would impress them - or else they must admit that their Matilda Is and Panzer IIs are hardly any better at this juncture.
I guess I misworded this. I was trying to illustrate that the Ha-Go, despite being a light tank had enough armor to resist most of the Chinese equipment. By saying it wasn't particularly impressive, I was just trying to say it's roughly average compared to European tanks and not some heavily armored monster that even European armies would struggle against. This was more an illustration of how badly equipped the Chinese are rather than a discussion of the Ha-Go's merits.

I do appreciate the discussion of Japanese armor development. They are definitely an underappreciated nation when compared to Western tanks during WWII. If you can think of a better way to get my point across in the caption I will gladly edit it. I didn't intend to come off as uneducated on the matter.

As for the wider war, I can't help but notice a lack of any warlord divisions plugging up the lines. Have you issued call-to-arms for your supposed allies yet? I believe in HPP this has to be done manually by the player rather than by event, although I thought at least the Ma Clique would be involved from the beginning.
I've been trying to get the Ma's to actually send troops into China. I've placed objectives for them, but they seem obsessed with defending only their own borders despite being in the war.

I haven't called in Yunnan or Guangxi yet. I got several divisions from Yunnan during the United Front event but never mentioned it. The rest of their army is pretty small and almost all militia. With Guangxi, I don't know if they'd be much help, so I'm holding them in reserve in case the Japanese land somewhere.

Do you think it would be better to call them in? I'm not sure if they'd just split their forces to cover the entire border or even be helpful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you think it would be better to call them in? I'm not sure if they'd just split their forces to cover the entire border or even be helpful.
I'd say so. As long as you're guarding the ports you shouldn't need Guangxi to hold the back end of China, and they in particular have strong divisions that can help against Japan (their OOB is rather overtuned compared to the rest of the Chinese OOBs), and having extra divisions along the line helps you maintain an operational reserve even if their divisions aren't exactly high quality.

I do appreciate the discussion of Japanese armor development. They are definitely an underappreciated nation when compared to Western tanks during WWII. If you can think of a better way to get my point across in the caption I will gladly edit it. I didn't intend to come off as uneducated on the matter.
Don't worry about it, I just like to talk about interesting subjects. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
they in particular have strong divisions that can help against Japan (their OOB is rather overtuned compared to the rest of the Chinese OOBs)
They definitely do, but I think I got lucky on the Hu Hanmin event and got 3 or 4 of their oversized infantry. I then got a bunch of binary INF with no supports, but didn't get a single militia.
having extra divisions along the line helps you maintain an operational reserve even if their divisions aren't exactly high quality.
I'll call them in then. They really can't make things worse. I'm still a couple of months ahead in game from my updates, so it'll be a while before they show up.

Don't worry about it, I just like to talk about interesting subjects. :D
That's what these forums are for, right? Feel free to jump in on anything else as we go along. I learned a bit about the Ha-Go and Japanese tank doctrine, so I can't complain!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Later on Dec. 16, KMT forces had won the battle of Pingyin. Casualties had been especially heavy, with the NRA losing almost 3500 men to Japan's 2300. However, the attack deprived Japan of their only bridgehead over the Huang He, ending any threat of a sudden breakout.
An important victory - I am curious as to whether MP is likely to become an issue for Japan eventually or whether they have enough to support an expensive war of attrition in China for a long time. If they have plenty, then being bogged down in China is more about not having the ability to use the units involved elsewhere. And for China, hoping something else (a war with either the Soviets or an active US) distracts them suffic to help you materially.
Four reinforcing militia divisions arrived just in time to take over from their battered and disorganized comrades. The infantry divisions were still several days away, so it was hoped the militias could hold out until they arrived.
A close call - the infantry really are the mainstays. Militia just don’t have the same staying power under sustained heavy assault.
On Dec. 30, very good news arrived to Chiang and his closest advisors. The secret clause of the Sino-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact had finally been fulfilled. A wing of fighters and a wing of bombers had been delivered by the Soviets, complete with volunteers to pilot and maintain them. A portion of the volunteers would also set up a flight school to train Chinese pilots to take over the actual combat against Japan
The Soviet fighter wing would take some time to get organized, but they would likely provide a major surprise for the Japanese.
A good start. The I-16s should be quite competitive in 1938-9 but one suspects a single wing won’t be enough. Need some Flying Tigers?
Chinese military theorists had developed Deep Operations (Note: 1937 Human Wave doctrine), improving how many divisions could join a battle, as well as their tactics once in the battle.
Human wave seems the logical doctrinal route for the militia-heavy mass army you currently field.
On Jan. 22, overwhelming KMT forces assaulted the Japanese as soon as they occupied Kaifeng.
KMT forces were immediately attacked as soon as they reoccupied Kaifeng. The militias struggled to hold the province, but two infantry divisions arrived, forcing the Japanese to call off the attack. The Japanese had inflicted almost 800 casualties, while taking less than 400. If the infantry had not arrived in time the province surely would have been lost.
Illustrates two key points: the vital role of the regular divisions and the need to be able to quickly counter-attack any breakthrough of a key province.
The front had once again remained fairly static over the course of Jan. 1938.
A good achievement, presuming winter is also slowing things down.
KMT infantry had salvaged the line numerous times, but there was not nearly enough to prevent a determined Japanese attack across the entire line...
How is the production of new regular divisions going? When are you expecting enough new ones to make a material difference and thus enable the offensive you have hinted at?
there was also tremendous opposition to the use of tanks by entrenched old-school IJA generals who strongly objected to using machines to make war, believing this to tarnish the fighting spirit of the IJA infantrymen.
:rolleyes: Sounds like an episode from Utsunimiya!

• 2Like
Reactions:
It really does, but shockingly it is a real thing, actually it was part of the wider conflict between the check notes Toseiha and Kodoha factions, perhaps better known as the Strike South/North factions respectively. Ultimately after the 226 Incident the Toseiha came to ascendancy leading to the OTL we all know, however in the period of 1931 to 1936 this was a fierce rivalry, where the Toseiha believed in modernization while the Kodoha believed in "fighting spirit", to grossly oversimplify matters. To make a long story short, the IJA did deploy their first tank companies in Manchuria in 1931-32 but their performance was, while not necessarily poor, rather pointless as the Chinese soldiers broke far too easily for tanks to even be necessary, providing significant ammunition to the anti-tank Kodoha faction.

Despite better success in the 1933 battle at Rehe, Japanese tanks were really scuppered at the start of the Sino-Japanese War by none other than the infamous Tojo, who, ideologically opposed to the concept of tank warfare, split his tanks among his infantry units nullifying his actual tank brigade's ability to do anything. The infantry commanders being clueless, the tanks of course performed abysmally, and Tojo then used this failure as justification to shut down any idea of independent tank divisions. While the Japanese still developed tanks they were essentially forced by obdurate traditionalism to develop only infantry tanks of limited capabilities until finally developments such as Khalkin Gol and the German Blitzkrieg convinced the IJA high command that tank warfare was worth pursuing seriously. By this time of course they were somewhat far behind their peers, and worse running out of precious steel and fuel.

Basically at least where tanks were concerned, the IJA really just could not stay out of its own way, thus in at least one respect the story of Utsunimiya is quite accurate behind the propaganda blitz carried out by the tireless supporters of the glorious IJN. :p

• 3Like
Reactions:
An important victory - I am curious as to whether MP is likely to become an issue for Japan eventually or whether they have enough to support an expensive war of attrition in China for a long time. If they have plenty, then being bogged down in China is more about not having the ability to use the units involved elsewhere. And for China, hoping something else (a war with either the Soviets or an active US) distracts them suffic to help you materially.
That's one cool feature about HPP: Khalkin Gol can lead into an all-out war if either Japan or the Soviets decide to escalate things. It's unlikely, but not impossible. I don't actually want that to happen because then Manchuria will just go from Japan to the Soviets, and they're even harder to beat!
A good start. The I-16s should be quite competitive in 1938-9 but one suspects a single wing won’t be enough. Need some Flying Tigers?
I sure would love that! The I-16s would get shredded by Japan's fighters just due to numbers. I decided to keep my fighters in the south to fight Japanese bombing raids.
How is the production of new regular divisions going? When are you expecting enough new ones to make a material difference and thus enable the offensive you have hinted at?
I've actually been building a motorized division from German license production. It's getting close to done, but I'm hoping that having some speed will make encirclements easier. It is really frustrating to try and encircle anything at 4 km/h!

I'm planning the offensive for March or April, so I'll go over that in more detail in another update or two.
This might be the first time the IJN doesn't need to spin anything to make the IJA look bad!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The IJN crew at Utsunimiya's War can get a little carried away...
These are just the carrier fanatics. Real red-blooded IJN men know that battleships are the way forward!

...right? Someone back me up, here, I'm out of the loop with that AAR these days. Is that one submarines guy still out of his cage?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: