• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bouchard

Corporal
24 Badges
May 29, 2020
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
I would like to know what plans the devs have for the future of Planetfall?

Specifically if there are any more expansions or gameplay additions being considered.

Reactions:
It was pretty similar situation with Surviving Mars. Side developer, 2-3 DLCs - totally dead finished :D game after that. However a small hope still lingers. It will be Paradox Insider 2021 on 13th of March. If we won't hear something then AoW PF is finished.
BattleTech was in the same boat: 3 DLC and "Campaign Complete." A side effect of the "Season Pass" model of DLCs is that they basically are committed to making 3 DLCs (because that's what the package promises), but after that they can reevaluate the sales figures (and general team interest) before they decide whether or not to continue development.

The good news is that if they announce a 4th DLC, they are likely to make more.

It seems the Insider event was dialled way back, but a new PDXcom is coming in a couple of months, so maybe news then?
If no news on PF, then hopefully they can at least give some clue as to what Triumph is up to these days.

Reactions:
if they ever do another aowthey better do an aow4 with medieval fantasy setting.

as for planetfall, the fact tha AI never update mod loadout kinda kills the difficulty and make every game trivial upon reaching end game.
in battle the AI is so abuseable (way more than in aw3) that you can win while heavily outnumberd.

they never fixed anything regarding those problems. and sadly those are the main reason the game becomes stale after a while.
honorable mention to ugly and buggy gold landmark while silver and bronze ones are quite well craftedbut you often just autoresolve those..

Honestly to say... PF's lacking of sth. I can't explain it clearly, but the "Feelings" when playing PF are not the same compare to older AoW.
When were playing AoW3, I finished the Main Campain not less than 3 times with every Consequense possible for each Choice... and more than that for older goodies.
Sadly, I dont feel it the same way with PF. It doesnt mean the game bad, in fact I have almost 1k h playing PF, but never I finish any Campain for the 2nd time. Neither I complain about the Lore. They'r amazing, fantastic and the Idea of "Galatic Fantasy" indeed stucked me with the urge of having PF. And the Gameplay with many new idea to test on my Units also is one of the reason that keep me playing for hours. PF is the first ver. AoW that I spend so many times for deep understanding (for combining various mods, technique, spells and strategy).

But again, with all things I mentioned, that feeling of "Missing something" still hanging there, that I can't get rid of.
I have exactly the same feeling.
The game is very good, but something is missing... and i don't know what.
Perhaps the system of town and region ? Far less choice for players as you cannot build where you want, but at the same time region has some advantages because in AoW3 a big town means you have no place for others town... both systems have advantage and disadvantages...
And... i spend lot of hours in AoW3 too, and finished the AoW3 campaign several time, and never finished campaing in PF...

The empire mode in PF is a good idea, but again.. something is missing,
But here i know what: You cannot lose, you cannot end this king of "campaing"
IMO it should be better to have lot of planets to conquers... 50 for example, and you cannot roll for others planets, and when you have finished, it's terminated for this empire game. Or an other end possibility : Found a "last" relic, in one of the hardest planet (accessible after conquered some others) you can conquert; and then it's terminated... Perhaps the unlimited heroes recrutment.. perhaps it will be better to limit this, and let the player found others heroes in some planets ? And, a system that force a player to make choice... a system where you can up level according a race or a teck, but where you can lose level too... IMO empire mode is a good idea but was quickly made and is a sign that game development is terminated.

So, this is a response for the thread question.. A future ? IMO, no; not in this game.
Perhaps in an other i don't know.

Last edited:
I got this game on launch, and played it for awhile, but didn't know anyone else that played so I left it for a long time. Recently just got back on it with a friend of mine and I'm really enjoying it. I had bought the season pass before invasions came out, so when I came back I had all kinds of new things to see and do. It's a much better game than when it released. The empire mode or whatever is a fantastic way to make the planet conquering feel like it's all part of a larger story or a bigger goal, and being able to recruit my own heros from other planets into my armies is really cool.

On another note, my friend and I were playing a lot of Stellaris, but this game is at the top of our list right now. It streamlines a lot of the things that get bloated in other 4 x games, and it offers a lot of really cool things like being able to build up heroes and parties (a bit of role playing there), being able to do stuff on the overworld, and the tactical stuff. And if you like one thing over another you can really focus down on that by your research. Focus on hero equipment, or on overworld stuff and operations, or on building really good armies for tactical stuff.

I've played a number of Age of Wonders games in the past. This one exceeds them all in my view by a wide margin perhaps only excepting that Age of Wonders tends to have tons more races but they are no where near as involved as they are in this game.

I would love to see this game continue to get support for years to come. I imagine it's unlikely all things considered, but I'd still like to see it.

The old age of wonders had underground levels or shadowrealm. In planetfall it could be an Orbital level, with spaceships, platforms and space stations and asteroids. Sky cities and infanferia in 0G.

Some kind of space combat is missing. With units that can only be in orbit. There may be some kind of spec operation, where these units do orbital bombardments.

Races: we have the lizards, the insects. SPACE TIGRANS PLEASE! a race like the Kzin guide with a warrior code , and the hungry for meat. Hunters and warriors armed with phase blades. Other option a Confederation of races opressed in old time for the Star Union. This Confederation of races included a group of species like PsyCats,Octopis-tecnocrats a sometime of orky warriors use like cannon fodder. The confederation is guide for a some type of IAs and the Heros and Leaders of the confederations are Cybrids or Avatars of the IAs. In a goberment something similar to the Culture saga
Other rase of space octopuses. With extra modifications for its tentacles.

• 1Love
Reactions:
On the "je ne sais quoi" that is missing from Planetfall, I think that there are two major elements that the fantasy AoW games had that are less interesting currently in Planetfall:

1. "Nooks and crannies" on the strategic map, or explorable/exploitable resources that are diverse and intriguing.

2. Curated geographic landmarks, or ones that are not fully hidden behind the algorithm of the sector system.

I think that these are easily remedied though. If the next AoW game has a similar system to "sectors" (I think the next game should, as sectors have gameplay impacts that are great and limit expansion very well), but allows the developer to hand craft scenario or campaign maps, this will make them "feel" more inviting. Additionally, more exploitable and interactive structures are needed in the next game. Don't get me wrong: the procedural creation of new sectors was a fantastic addition to this game and is the best random map generator of the entire series. I just think that forcing all campaign sectors to be procedurally generated for each individual playthrough was not ideal.

Reactions:
I have exactly the same feeling.
The game is very good, but something is missing... and i don't know what.
Perhaps the system of town and region ? Far less choice for players as you cannot build where you want, but at the same time region has some advantages because in AoW3 a big town means you have no place for others town... both systems have advantage and disadvantages...
And... i spend lot of hours in AoW3 too, and finished the AoW3 campaign several time, and never finished campaing in PF...

The empire mode in PF is a good idea, but again.. something is missing,
But here i know what: You cannot lose, you cannot end this king of "campaing"
IMO it should be better to have lot of planets to conquers... 50 for example, and you cannot roll for others planets, and when you have finished, it's terminated for this empire game. Or an other end possibility : Found a "last" relic, in one of the hardest planet (accessible after conquered some others) you can conquert; and then it's terminated... Perhaps the unlimited heroes recrutment.. perhaps it will be better to limit this, and let the player found others heroes in some planets ? And, a system that force a player to make choice... a system where you can up level according a race or a teck, but where you can lose level too... IMO empire mode is a good idea but was quickly made and is a sign that game development is terminated.

So, this is a response for the thread question.. A future ? IMO, no; not in this game.
Perhaps in an other i don't know.

there is 4 main issues in the game that makes it stale after a while.

1/ the lack of threat.

-the AI do not update the mod loadout they create at the beginning of the game. that means, unless you are playing on a very high ranked planet in empire mode the AI troops will keep their low lvl mods until the end of the game.
the AI alos seems to not use T3 or even T4 much. and when they do they are often not modded.
that means that you can pretty much overpower the AI with high level mods and units which makes any late game trivial.
-leaving a marauder/monster nest live and grow? it will not be a threat in the future anyway (except for newly created cities) as they will never exceed a group of 4 units and never attacks with other marauder/monsters stack.
-late game invasion are more of a nuisance than a threat you would want to prepare for and beat. (so i always play without it. the game often finishes before they even spawn anyway.)
-going at war vs a npc faction... who goes at war with them anyway? it is not worth it.
-overly defensive AI who never attack you if you are too far away and always with just the amount of force he think it needs to beat you except of using it full available force.
throw a lone scout toward their borders and they will quickly gather evrything they have to defend their territory from it.

in conclusion it lacks something that keep you on your toes and push you forward into making the right decisions.

2/the AI lack of strategy.

-it does not think as an army but think as many individual units in its army.
while in battle you can easily bait them with a spell, they use their units psecial ability as soon as possible even on inadequate target, separate their forces with a lone unit somewhere else and deal with its stacks one by one because they will never regroup their forces.
unless you are vastly outnumbered or out modded (which happends only in early game when your army is still small) there is too many easy cheese you can do vs the AI.
-AI seems to lack common sense and declare war or refuse treaties when they are not in a postiion to do that. many times did they requested a peace treaty only when their capital was already surrounded and would fall the next turn which seems pointless.

in concusion an easy to manipulate AI which can makes fights and territory control dull.

3/ the lack of wonder. (ironic isn't it?)

-gold landmarks battle map are ugly and sometimes really unsatisfying to take over. kinda epicless.
-landmarks effect are often negligeable.
-most hero loot isn't interesting ("most". some of them are really cool but really random to get..). there is no late game super special artifacts for the hero you would want to strive for.
-no devastating late game spells you would dream of having.
-most neutral buidlings you can take for your empire are either just bought off from a neutral faction or auto battled with one beefy stack or tons of little stacks.
-neutral factions are just quest givers shops. the way you are upgrading your relationship with them feels very cold, repetitive and identical.
-anomalous sites, while an amazing addition, feels pointless and tedious to do(if only to costed only 1 turn instead of 3). (the hard ones are cool but you often never come to a point where you can find one as it requires you to do many little ones before and waste precious turns)
-maps are often big, empty and too randomly generated. even if i always play on random maps when in multiplayer i miss those amazing hand crafted maps from older games.
of course the lack of underground or any special area to explore contribute to this feeling.

in conculsion the lack of excitement into exploring new land and looking for new powerfull loot and powers.

4/the lack of consequences.

-the leader or a hero dies? you lost too many battle in a row? your territories is getting pillaged or taken over? you have good or bad reputation (spam compliments)?
this has no real consequences. unlike in AOW3.
-war with npc faction needs to be forced for it to happens. tho the AI sometimes manage to make war with all of them in the late game for some reason.
-no evil, neutral or righteous path to follow. no particular politic or ruling.
-revolts? never seen those.
-easy to compliment AI to keep them happy toward you.

in conculsion the lack of choices that matters and impact your empire.

Reactions:
-the AI do not update the mod loadout they create at the beginning of the game. that means, unless you are playing on a very high ranked planet in empire mode the AI troops will keep their low lvl mods until the end of the game.
the AI alos seems to not use T3 or even T4 much. and when they do they are often not modded.
Seems to be true.
Since the begining of the game I finish games with only T1 and some T2 units.
I rarely use T3, and i've never built T4 units,
Since begining i've researched T4 unit tecnologies in very few game (1, 2 or 3...)... i don't need them !!
This is the main problem IMO.
I always finished game with tech victory, that is the faster method to end a game against AI (at maximum levels) in FFA in medium or average maps.
(I thing that tech victory should be only possible alone: Start the last 10 turn in tech level should immediatly break all alliance done by the player who do this. It's too easy to end a game that manner while you have some allies).

Last edited:
Seems to be true.
Since the begining of the game I finish games with only T1 and some T2 units.
I rarely use T3, and i've never built T4 units,
Since begining i've researched T4 unit tecnologies in very few game (1, 2 or 3...)... i don't need them !!
This is the main problem IMO.
I always finished game with tech victory, that is the faster method to end a game against AI (at maximum levels) in FFA in medium or average maps.
(I thing that tech victory should be only possible alone: Start the last 10 turn in tech level should immediatly break all alliance done by the player who do this. It's too easy to end a game that manner while you have some allies).
I am not sure if you want to change it, but all those problems are easily fixed by mods and settings.
1) Disable all victory conditions
2) Disable diplomacy via having preset teams (every team has a single member)
3) Use "More stronger AI" mod

akinata
I agree with most of your points, but I really disagree with some points. It is very good that they removed that unhappiness spiral which ruined late aow3 game. Empire-wide penalty for losing a single scout was really bad and annoying. It should be a strategy game, not just RPG.

I am not sure if you want to change it, but all those problems are easily fixed by mods and settings.
1) Disable all victory conditions
2) Disable diplomacy via having preset teams (every team has a single member)
3) Use "More stronger AI" mod
"more stronger AI" mod only add more ressources to the AI. it does not makes the AI want tobuild more T3&T4 units. its just that, because there is soo many units being build the low % of t3&t4 units will also represente more units.
use the "better AI" mod instead: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2317785019
(which i am its creator btw ^^)
also it is impossible to make so AI update mod loadout with mods.

akinata
I agree with most of your points, but I really disagree with some points. It is very good that they removed that unhappiness spiral which ruined late aow3 game. Empire-wide penalty for losing a single scout was really bad and annoying. It should be a strategy game, not just RPG.
and the lack of meaningfull RPG elements in planetfall is one of the reasons some prefer AOW3 despite planetfall being superior in alot of areas.
also you would lose hapiness on a defeat only if a hero or leader died and/or you lost 3 battles in a row.
i agree that some of the mechanics were a bit hard and unforgiving. but completely scrapping them for a more casual approach contributed to that "feeling of something missing" alot of planetfall players seems to have.

"more stronger AI" mod only add more ressources to the AI. it does not makes the AI want tobuild more T3&T4 units. its just that, because there is soo many units being build the low % of t3&t4 units will also represente more units.
use the "better AI" mod instead: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2317785019
(which i am its creator btw ^^)
also it is impossible to make so AI update mod loadout with mods.
Are you sure?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2403103943
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2367102566
Anyway, I am fine with More stronger AI way, I wouldn't like to fight just tier 3-4 units like it was in aow3. Even stack of 2 tier 3, 2 tier 2 and 2 tier 1 is fine when every unit in the stack has Shield of Reckoning.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2367106352
Playing at the hardest settings I don't care about AI being unable to replace mods, I am always last in science ranking and they field tier 3 units with tier 3 mods before me.
Thank you, I tried your mod too, it works fine also, I just have more experience with more stronger AI.

Are you sure?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2403103943
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2367102566
Anyway, I am fine with More stronger AI way, I wouldn't like to fight just tier 3-4 units like it was in aow3. Even stack of 2 tier 3, 2 tier 2 and 2 tier 1 is fine when every unit in the stack has Shield of Reckoning.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2367106352
Playing at the hardest settings I don't care about AI being unable to replace mods, I am always last in science ranking and they field tier 3 units with tier 3 mods before me.
Thank you, I tried your mod too, it works fine also, I just have more experience with more stronger AI.
well i didn't checked stronger AI mod files but if i refer to the descritpion its author left then yes, it should changes only the bonus ressources the Ai gets. (to a ridiculous high level at max difficulty)
from your screenshots i can suppose that the bonus the AI got was so big that it finished researching all strong t3 mods and t3&t4 units very quickly and so finished creating its units loadout while having high tier mods available.
the main issue with that mod is that since the Ai has basically unlimited power it can spam strategic spells on your empire and may completely screw you up just like that.

Reactions:
well i didn't checked stronger AI mod files but if i refer to the descritpion its author left then yes, it should changes only the bonus ressources the Ai gets. (to a ridiculous high level at max difficulty)
from your screenshots i can suppose that the bonus the AI got was so big that it finished researching all strong t3 mods and t3&t4 units very quickly and so finished creating its units loadout while having high tier mods available.
the main issue with that mod is that since the Ai has basically unlimited power it can spam strategic spells on your empire and may completely screw you up just like that.
Correct, AI spams operations like crazy early game, then I catch up in defense and it becomes manageable, before that I put all energy/cosmite into queue and suffer from happiness penalty by Shakarn. In my current game I am trying to disable operations for AI by setting it to passive to see if it fixes the problem. Diplomacy is disabled so AI still attacks me, though not very aggressive despite it has a team of 11 hardest AIs.
I will try your mod again after this game for sure, thank you!

Edit. Fighting a team of 11 AIs was a very bad idea. I am attacked by 42 units on turn 36 and my colony is bombarded with 4 strategical operation during a single turn, 3 of them are sustainable (100% food loss and 10 MP to move per road!) and I have 0% chance to disband them. It looks like AIs can't use covert operations while set to passive, but happily spam strategic ones.

Last edited:
After trying "Better AI" mod I think it is not challenging enough for me, it is turn 34 and I am 3rd in military ranking after killing a single AI. I would still be 11th with "More stronger AI" mod. Now other AIs are friendly and even buying casus belis because they are afraid of me.

i could still overboost essources the AI get on max difficulty... so you get the same insane AI as more stronger AI... still not a satisfying solution. modding is very limited regarding the AI.

Reactions:
It is turn 36 and I am first in military ranking, I used cheat code to reveal the map to check if it is a good idea to continue playing and found I have the largest population with the highest number of colonies, game can be considered won :(
Probably you can check Adventure mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2377887888), it decreases requirement for AI settlers. One of AIs is alone on continent and still has just 3 colonies. I know it is vanilla problem, but it explains why extra resources seem like a must.