If you were hoping for EU V, you ll have to wait for at least two more years...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Except this is not news. We already knew this year's announcement is not EU5, and it takes about a year between announcement and release. Hence, "in about 2 years" has been the earliest realistic scenario for release for a few weeks now...

Reactions:
Just let this game go, Golden Century and Emperor were absolute untested disasters, and it's looking like Leviathan will be even worse. They should just release one big patch fixing all the game's major issues. How can they keep add literally useless mechanics (concentrace capacity or whatever it's called), while core mechanics such as HRE reforms or Council of Trent are completely broken and unimmersive, not to talk about thefact that half of the time you can't even call your allies into war because by 1550 they are 10k in debt...

Whatever I guess, at least we'll get African OPMs mission trees lol

Reactions:
I've still yet to see a debt spiral that would have been abnormal in 1.29 in all my time in Emperor.
That might be because you're playing on 1.29. At least in my 1.30 games the AI debt spiral is constant and I'm usually force do donate up to 25k to my allies so that they can pay off their debt lol

Reactions:
That might be because you're playing on 1.29. At least in my 1.30 games the AI debt spiral is constant and I'm usually force do donate up to 25k to my allies so that they can pay off their debt lol
In my experience with Russia that literally always happened in previous patches and I never had that problem with any of my other allies. It was definitely on 1.30. I know a few who can corroborate never having seen stand out debt spirals in their own games.

Reactions:
I feel conflicted about this article (and the dev diary). I do like the focus on bug fixing. But this does strengthen the switch from mechanical changes, to content improvements.

Reactions:
I mean EU5 could make sense in a lot of aspects, but It would take like 10 years to have as much flavor as EU4.

why?

When I started making EU4, I took everything from EU3, and just removed some stuff that I did not like.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
why?

When I started making EU4, I took everything from EU3, and just removed some stuff that I did not like.
Honestly I just don´t know. But I like that Tinto prefers to keep improving EU4 instead of venturing in a new game. I remember you in a PDXCon saying something like "Why would I do EU5 if I can keep improving EU4". Perhaps your vision on this matter has changed?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly I just don´t know. But I like that Tinto prefers to keep improving EU4 instead of venturing in a new game. I remember you in a PDXCon saying something like "Why would I do EU5 if I can keep improving EU4". Perhaps your vision on this matter has changed?
This will probably sooner or later be necessary because of the spaghetti code that can happen,just like with CK2.Some things like people want for EU(the franchise,not 4)include fundamental reworks that will not be possible in EU4,as Johan has said himself,so at least for this reason,EU5 will be necessary,however i don't expect it before 2023-24 at best.
Edit:To OP,you have missing one important quote:
“I don’t really plan super long ahead for EU stuff anymore. And it depends on what the team wants to do,”
I think this confirm that the development of EU4 is near the end,regardless if an EU5 is coming after or not.

Last edited:
why?

What are the things you would like to remove the most?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So, besides that being an incredibly uninteresting article, it doesn't say anything about two more years. It says "hopefully later this year". So it really only talks about The immediate future, as well as Johan indicating a lack of any definite plan anyway, beyond a likely 2 more expansions. No need to make things up.

As for the people wanting a focus on bug fixes: It's been said many times on this forum, including by Johan, that they have little interest in bug fix patches, as they don't expect those to sell well. They're probably right. They also obviously don't care about fixing features they sold us in the past.
“I think, ideally, a grand strategy game should have two to three releases in a year,” he says.

I read this as two more DLC this year. And yes, it is not the best article. But hey, Wargamer is not what it once was...

Reactions:
I find it funny how he admids, that there is no plan, and that the team decides where to go. The need for making the game better should be first, then to get old mission trees on the detail of the new ones. Persia has 5 missions I think (dont know for shure but not more than that). It was a nation wich actually did something in that time period, not like malakka and the other nations with super missions. Byzantiums needs a reshape, same with the Ottomans, turkish Bejiks and the mamelucks. Not forgetting the Baltics, where the nothern most have 0 flavour in missions and no formable tag, I mean Sweden was more important than most nations for over a hundred years.
The last place would then be Africa, with the Iraq/caucasian region for new tags and details.
Byzantium is definitely in need of a reshape. I would gladly pay for a flavor pack with rewritten decisions, improved unit sprites, and new mechanics.

Probably the only DLC I would buy day one if it is a good one.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Byzantium is definitely in need of a reshape. I would gladly pay for a flavor pack with rewritten decisions, improved unit sprites, and new mechanics.

Probably the only DLC I would buy day one if it is a good one.

Meh, byzantium dissolved in 1453, shortly after the EU4 start. If you are a byzantium fan, I would recommend crusader kings

Meh, byzantium dissolved in 1453, shortly after the EU4 start. If you are a byzantium fan, I would recommend crusader kings
I am well aware of the history. But Byzantium is one of the favorite factions among the players.

I am surprised that we are waiting for a flavor pack for so long. Also, Byzantium is horrendous at the moment in CK3. I am waiting for a DLC that will improve the faction and give it much required mechanics and flavor

Reactions:
I personally think this year will be solely focus on making new DLCs and train the new team, while next year will be when they start to make EU5 with announcement at 2023 and release at either that same year or 2024.
That's kind of an insane schedule tbh.
Considering how CK3 had been in works since 2015, I find it hard to believe an EU5 could be developed in one or two years.
Imperator, which was much, much more mechanically simplified and smaller in scope at release, had two years of development (iirc, could've been three).
Comparing the two games at release, it should go without saying that I'd much rather they take the CK3 approach, taking their time with development to not repeat the fiasco that was Imperator's release.

If EU5 starts its development next year, I imagine (and hope for) a release in 2026 at the earliest, which to us means another 5 years of wait.
Which is kind of insane in its own way as well, if I had to guess, I'd say they started development of EU5 back in Sweden, and after Tinto got up and running, Johan is bringing it to Barcelona with him, so the final DLCs of EU4 are being developed in parallel with EU5 (as it was with CK3).
That's the only way I see a release in 2023/2024 as feasible, assuming a good product of course.

I remember reading several interviews where they mention that a Paradox game typically created in a year
I remember reading that it was like that in the past, with PDS being only one dev team consisting of a handful of people releasing new games on an yearly basis.
But now games have become more complex and dev teams bigger, so it's no longer possible to do that.

Reactions:
Sounds good to me. I've liked EU4 from wealth of nations to now enough to never really stop playing constantly. In comparison I've gotten bored of lots of other strategy games in those years. So I'll be happy.

I am well aware of the history. But Byzantium is one of the favorite factions among the players.

I am surprised that we are waiting for a flavor pack for so long. Also, Byzantium is horrendous at the moment in CK3. I am waiting for a DLC that will improve the faction and give it much required mechanics and flavor

Byzantium was the first country to get a flavor pack. But yeah the purple phoenix could use an update.

Reactions: