The 5 land doctrines: Which to pick? PART 5 OF 5 + BONUS + THE BEST DOCTRINE!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Eugenioso are you basing this on a mod? I checked yesterday and Superior Focus doesn't grant any bonuses in DH FULL or in the CWTT to any air units. Although it "does" under the NATO doctrine. Also, I forgot to check, but I think defensive focus grants a small bonus to TAC, but I might be thinking of HOI2

Very good read but I'm still unsure what one would pick with a small or mid sized country. For example Romania. Light looks pretty okay.
I play almost exclusively with regional powers and use Superior Firepower for just about all of them except for Finland/Sweden/Norway, which I like to use Light Infantry. I get what Eugenioso means when he says it works best when you can build a large army, but it still works with smaller armies when you're fighting smaller or similar sized nations.

Reactions:
@Eugenioso are you basing this on a mod? I checked yesterday and Superior Focus doesn't grant any bonuses in DH FULL or in the CWTT to any air units. Although it "does" under the NATO doctrine. Also, I forgot to check, but I think defensive focus grants a small bonus to TAC, but I might be thinking of HOI2
Pretty sure I have seen a TAC bonus in first or second firepower tech

Reactions:
As stated on the second sentence, this is based on WIF2 mod, so values might be slightly different, but the main formula remains.

As stated on the second sentence, this is based on WIF2 mod, so values might be slightly different, but the main formula remains.
Sorry, I'm an idiot and totally missed that. Thanks for clarifying.

Oh shit, im sorry, i forgot! Ill do it tomorrow when i have a bit of free time.

A most needed analysis; thank you for explaining this.

Some years ago, I bought the book "The Perfect War Techno War", based on the authors subjective interpretation of the Pentagon Papers from the Vietnam War. This well-explained analysis partly confirms the authors conclusion on why the United States lost the Vietnam War;

the US based Firepower Doctrine fought the Vietnamese mix of both the Light infantry and Mannpower doctrines
and thus could not win this war

Reactions:
Very good read but I'm still unsure what one would pick with a small or mid sized country. For example Romania. Light looks pretty okay.
Perhaps the Mobility doctrine, in order to converge abilities with Germany in the fight against the USSR. Same for Hungary. Slovenia, Bulgaria and Finland could pick Light Infantry. Italy, hm? - Light Infantry or Mobility.

Reactions:
All done, sorry for the delay peeps.

• 2Like
Reactions:
To conclude, the best doctrine in the game is MOBILITY.
I am not really that surprised about the conclusion., well, who is...
Nevertheless it is certainly helpful and informative to have, for more or less the first time if I am not mistaken, a good comparative overview of all land doctrines.
Thanks a lot for the writeup.

I'm not surprised to hear that Defensive is utter garbage. In general what would be the best doctrine to replace it with? France would I imagine benefit from Mobility since they're fighting Germany on the plains of Europe, but what would be a better recommendation for minor or moderate powers such as Canada that can't produce many tanks? Light Infantry?

I'm not surprised to hear that Defensive is utter garbage. In general what would be the best doctrine to replace it with? France would I imagine benefit from Mobility since they're fighting Germany on the plains of Europe, but what would be a better recommendation for minor or moderate powers such as Canada that can't produce many tanks? Light Infantry?
For smaller countries, and bear with me here because you might not like the answer, i prefer a small core of elite units, though it does depend tremendously on where you'll be fighting at. Ive played as Chile, my home country, a few times before and ive found the best way to defeat my neighbors is mountaineers rushing the enemy VP's, allowing for a swift victory, puppeting and then build up even more industry in my land with their resources. As for the doctrine, i think that Mobility would still help out the smaller boys, as that extra GDE is critical for early wins. When you get bigger you can start to consider having more advanced units.

As for the doctrine, i think that Mobility would still help out the smaller boys, as that extra GDE is critical for early wins.
I'd second that. Usually manpower is a severe restriction for small countries and there the mobility doctrine helps the most. 100% GDE=ground defense efficiency means you'll loose the least manpower in combat in comparison to all other doctrines.

This thread needs the Oprah meme for mobility

This thread needs the Oprah meme for mobility
Yeah... mobility is totally overpowered.
But probably that is even historic and the reason why the Wehrmacht was so surprisingly successfull in the beginning of the war until the allies (actually mainly the Red Army) learned to cope with it and/or the Wehrmacht lost quite a lot of its mobility power and the general surprise/shock element faded.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah... mobility is totally overpowered.
But probably that is even historic and the reason why the Wehrmacht was so surprisingly successfull in the beginning of the war until the allies (actually mainly the Red Army) learned to cope with it and/or the Wehrmacht lost quite a lot of its mobility power and the general surprise/shock element faded.
Sorry, I posted that last night after several drinks and didn't mean for it to sound trollish. Although you understood what I meant :)

I've been making changes to the Light Infantry doctrine in the CWTT so it might be more desirable to smaller nations in regions with challenging terrain such as Finland, Sweden, Norway, Greece, Yugo, Thailand, and most South American nations. I've also increased the stats for MTN, CAV, and MAR so they perform better in the terrain they're most likely going to be used. I even gave PAR a small bonus fighting in urban terrain.

Reactions: