Abomination #34 from the upcoming DLC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's ridiculously op. It's going to make every campaign feel the same - grab those same provinces to get the monuments. At least let these monuments be built anywhere if they meet certain conditions for it to have been plausible, and nerf them.
You do realize they have conditions right? Your not grabbing the same every game unless you are playing the same country/religion/culture every game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
People here really act like a nation like Sweden no-cb'ing Granada and snaking there way to Shirvan/Yazd and converting to Zoroastrianism is gonna be new meta.

• 2Like
Reactions:
No CBing Grenada will be mega meta at least
It will probably be locked to Sunni's/muslims, we don't know that yet. So until it's wout we won't be able to tell. An important province for your Granda/Marocco/Tunis/Ottomans campaigns for sure, not so much for your swedish/english ones

• 1Like
Reactions:
It will probably be locked to Sunni's/muslims, we don't know that yet. So until it's wout we won't be able to tell. An important province for your Granda/Marocco/Tunis/Ottomans campaigns for sure, not so much for your swedish/english ones
Making it a must-get for only Muslims seems even worse? If that's the case Islam would just be better than any other religion in the game by a huge margin unless you dislike expanding...

All that would do it make anyone playing for expansion immediately switch to Sunni.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Making it a must-get for only Muslims seems even worse? If that's the case Islam would just be better than any other religion in the game by a huge margin unless you dislike expanding...

All that would do it make anyone playing for expansion immediately switch to Sunni.
I mean in theory muslim is already a much better religion for conquering then all others, ignoring religious unity of non muslim provinces you conquer is a pretty big deal, but apparently people dont care about that a lot. So sure go ahead and no cb Granda, get 2500 ducats or whatever and wait 20 years and then you have a really big buff. Its probably ment as a tool to unify Islam and form the caliphate more easily. I just want people to cool down a bit and not act like no cb-ing granda will be the only way to play the game now

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean in theory muslim is already a much better religion for conquering then all others, ignoring religious unity of non muslim provinces you conquer is a pretty big deal, but apparently people dont care about that a lot. So sure go ahead and no cb Granda, get 2500 ducats or whatever and wait 20 years and then you have a really big buff. Its probably ment as a tool to unify Islam and form the caliphate more easily. I just want people to cool down a bit and not act like no cb-ing granda will be the only way to play the game now
But it will be, that's what I'm saying? 15% admin eff is insane. The best ideas in the game for it give 5%.

I mean if you care about expanding at all any other religion becomes a false choice for anything besides roleplay basically. Just like trading companies pre-1.30 in a way. Overly centralising.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But it will be, that's what I'm saying? 15% admin eff is insane. The best ideas in the game for it give 5%.

I mean if you care about expanding at all any other religion becomes a false choice for anything besides roleplay basically. Just like trading companies pre-1.30 in a way. Overly centralising.
I just think this is so over the top. This is a new thing that is going to be very very good. Still Austria won't no cb granda and turn sunni and they will still be better at conquering stuff then morocco. And as Sunni nation in east Africa or even India or Indonesia I'm also doubting that this is the optimal play. Sure if your expanding in every way possible might aswell have a direction? Let that direction be Granada

Reactions:
People really seem to be overreacting to this. Single player is basically already as easy or hard as you make it for yourself. If you are incapable of enjoying the game without min-maxing to the point where you flipping Zoroastrian, no cb-ing Granada, or culture shifting 10 times that's a personal issue. These really just seem more like the standard win-more mechanics we get every patch. Are they lazy and uninspired? Absolutely. But not any more broken than some of the mission trees. At least these are accessible to every nation on the map. And I feel like these comparisons are unfair. TCs pre 1.30 weren't mandatory because they were broken, they were mandatory because they balanced out the economic bleed from territorial corruption. I place these more in the level of hegemonies where once you getting the full benefits from them you have already essentially won the game.

And I don't play MP, but just ban monuments in your session if they are breaking multiplayer. It can't be that hard.

Personally, I'm excited for these. It's a neat little novelty for an expansion that I was already going to buy anyways. I'll definitely target some of these provinces for the modifiers, but warping my game style to get them seems pretty extra. I also see a lot of potential for meme runs here, and that is all that EU4 really has left for it at this stage in its life.

• 1Like
Reactions:
People really seem to be overreacting to this. Single player is basically already as easy or hard as you make it for yourself. If you are incapable of enjoying the game without min-maxing to the point where you flipping Zoroastrian, no cb-ing Granada, or culture shifting 10 times that's a personal issue. These really just seem more like the standard win-more mechanics we get every patch. Are they lazy and uninspired? Absolutely. But not any more broken than some of the mission trees. At least these are accessible to every nation on the map. And I feel like these comparisons are unfair. TCs pre 1.30 weren't mandatory because they were broken, they were mandatory because they balanced out the economic bleed from territorial corruption. I place these more in the level of hegemonies where once you getting the full benefits from them you have already essentially won the game.

And I don't play MP, but just ban monuments in your session if they are breaking multiplayer. It can't be that hard.

Personally, I'm excited for these. It's a neat little novelty for an expansion that I was already going to buy anyways. I'll definitely target some of these provinces for the modifiers, but warping my game style to get them seems pretty extra. I also see a lot of potential for meme runs here, and that is all that EU4 really has left for it at this stage in its life.
There is a category of strategy gamer for whom fun derives from finding the optimal method of "beating the game" and ruthlessly pursuing that strategy. Not pursuing it is not an option. Having very strong modifiers available to a small number of provinces will make it more or less mandatory for this kind of player to pursue these provinces as early as possible in every game.

I don't play the game this way myself, I like to play in different ways every game with little regard for what is "optimal". But I can understand why players that do play this way are somewhat concerned about the magnitude of the monument modifiers. That does not mean I think these concerns should just be dismissed - a large part of the appeal of EU4 (and indeed most Paradox games) is that the game offers the possibility to enjoy many different playstyles.

Multiplayer as entirely different thing, of course. I have no interest in MP so cannot comment directly. But EU4 is and always will be heavily assymetric - that is a major advantage for SP replayability and a large part of the reason I play EU4 for 2000+ hours. I don't think the game design should be focused on achieving some kind of mythical MP balance.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@elessar9 Well, I might style myself as a "casual player" in that I'm not looking avidely for the optimal method in every case. I learn from experience and I reuse methods that worked while occasionally trying some stuff that seem to have a chance of being successful. That said, I won't purposefuly ignore a golden opportunity. Or rather, doing so will be painful.

I think I realized something. It's not just that I "don't care" about wonders or find them unbalanced. I just hate them. I hate this reminder of completely unwarranted bonuses that I found in Civilization and found so unrealistic. Up to the next patch, one of the reason I liked EUIV better than Civ was the absence of wonders. Now they only need to make kings immortals...

I may be a bit unfair. If wonders were like super versions of existing buildings and every country could have several of them (like manufactories), it would be fine. But as it stands, nope. I find their very concept repulsive, and it piles on the top of the things the devs added to EUIV over the years to make it more "fun" and less historically accurate. Need I name them again? National ideas, unique government forms, mission trees...

Last edited:
Reactions:
@Arizal They are really not all unhistoric, the bonuses from Notre Dame and Taj Mahal for example are logical in my opinion. A big church giving Totf or a big Mausoleum prestige decay are not random modifiers. Just the 2 discussed here I feel like, why does a Foretress like castle allow you to administrate an Empire better? Or a fire temple in the mountains making your Canons hit harder then Napoleons? Giving access to these wonders to just everyone would be way worse...then seriously everyone would just rush the Alhambra or whatever as there is really no reason not to.

For MP I think these are good. most of these bonuses won't turn the game on its head, the Zoroastrian one and the Dev cost thing are an Exception I think but you will see those comming a mile away, so you will try to snack shirvan from the zoroastrian Persia player just like you would try to snack Königsberg from the Brandenburg player. Having powerful modifiers scattered around the globe can also lead to more tension and motivate people to wage war more often I hope. "That 15% dev cost Temple for sure looks better in my backyard..."

Reactions:
So to the crowd of MP players and those pretending to be here:
Monuments like this won't be a problem. Every MP lobby ever knows that you should never allow a player to form prussia. Now you also know to never let a zoroastrian player get shirvan. It is nothing new.

And if it shown that specific monuments are too powerful this can be counteracted as well by implementing rules. Every single MP game has custom rules regarding alliances and exploits. Many also rule out specific tags (no starting as ming, no prussia etc). If a few monuments are really out of line for MP rules are a simple solution.

For SP on the other hand these offer choices. It is likely that speedrunning WC will now be focused on Monuments. But before it was focused on rushing HRE Emperorship as Kazan. That is hardly less obscure. And it is important to remember that the vast amount of players doesn't even play that way. Yes most like to permablob, but way fewer like to optimise that

Agree. As I said, even open MP games will probably ban monuments. And if you want to use them in your SP game that is up to you.

MP is MP. A laughing stock honestly

And SP is all about rules, rules make for interesting games, if 1 rule can be shamelessly exploited then why bother with rules at all? Might as well open the console commands at that point.

Huh? SP is about the player having fun doing whatever they want. And what they do has absolutely no impact on you, me, or anyone else except that player.

I am lmao at all the people freaking out about monuments when not one of you knows what the final requirements, restrictions, or even the final bonuses will be for each monument. In the DD written 2 months ago, it will take 200 years to get to tier 4 bonuses, assuming you have the right culture and or religion, own the province, and can keep control of the province for the required 200 years. And you can bet everything has been tweaked in the past 2 months as Leviathan has been playtested.

Personally I will look at them after release (and the several hotfixes) and see what they add to the game. I will probably even play with them for the change of pace. I still fail to see why most of you care about monuments. You don't have to use them in SP if you don't want to, and if they are truly OP at release MP games will ban them. I guess people just feel the need to be outraged at PDS.

• 2Like
Reactions:
View attachment 704180
???????????????

Another late april fools joke good one guys

Why does this monument give more benefits than a country with full army professionalism? How many graduates from clown academy did you recruit this year?

Also good job on the historical research - this monument has more claim to be Hindu than anything else, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore in eu4 when you get to direct development to your passion projects instead. I guess I'm spoilt, having played before Trin Tragula left the eu4 team when new content was actually based on reality.

Tune in next week where we will be showing the new monument that increases average ruler lifespan by 100%!

Another thing to fix with mods jesus.
Entire idea of these monuments in EU4 is stupid, it worked in imperator so is it cool there ? Not at all. How one old building can have any impact on military or even technology cost xD

• 1Like
Reactions:
Huh? SP is about the player having fun doing whatever they want. And what they do has absolutely no impact on you, me, or anyone else except that player.

I am lmao at all the people freaking out about monuments when not one of you knows what the final requirements, restrictions, or even the final bonuses will be for each monument. In the DD written 2 months ago, it will take 200 years to get to tier 4 bonuses, assuming you have the right culture and or religion, own the province, and can keep control of the province for the required 200 years. And you can bet everything has been tweaked in the past 2 months as Leviathan has been playtested.

Personally I will look at them after release (and the several hotfixes) and see what they add to the game. I will probably even play with them for the change of pace. I still fail to see why most of you care about monuments. You don't have to use them in SP if you don't want to, and if they are truly OP at release MP games will ban them. I guess people just feel the need to be outraged at PDS.
Can't wait to use the same excuses you do the next time you complain about something in EU4.

Some ideas are OP/useless?
Some countries don't even make sense in the context of EU4?
Instant effects like dev/stability ignoring any long term planning?

• 5Haha
Reactions:
View attachment 704180
???????????????

Another late april fools joke good one guys

Why does this monument give more benefits than a country with full army professionalism? How many graduates from clown academy did you recruit this year?

Also good job on the historical research - this monument has more claim to be Hindu than anything else, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore in eu4 when you get to direct development to your passion projects instead. I guess I'm spoilt, having played before Trin Tragula left the eu4 team when new content was actually based on reality.

Tune in next week where we will be showing the new monument that increases average ruler lifespan by 100%!

I pity anyone who buys this “intern-project” made DLC at full price. This is probably the nicest way I can put it.

• 3Like
Reactions: