• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI4 Dev Diary - Poland Focus Tree Rework Part 1/2

Hello everybody and welcome to another dev diary for the upcoming Barbarossa patch and yet to be announced DLC. Today I’m going to be talking about the first focus tree which is a rework of Poland.

Poland was first added as a free DLC on release for everyone titled "United and Ready" so as such what you see in this diary will be free for everyone once Barbarossa drops. Next diary we will continue on to cover the DLC parts of the focus tree, because the tree is a bit too large to cover in one go. Enjoy!

Poland is interesting because it is a hugely popular minor (it's roughly as popular as Spain and more popular than Greece). Yet it has a very difficult position sandwiched between Soviet and Germany, which tend to scare people off. Perhaps it's the challenge, or its critical role in WW2, or just the large amount of Polish HOI4 fans, you tell me.

Pol1.png

So, if we load up the tree we can see not only Ignacy Mościcki’s beautiful new portrait, but an entirely new tree.

Pol2.png

Let’s start with the industrial branch. In the old tree, the player would have to dredge through a lot of low-value research bonuses to get just a few extra factories, so many of those old focuses have been expanded with extra factories and bonuses. But, this branch is not just about getting free factories, Poland is on a tight schedule and must use her time well if she has ambitions of outlasting the Reich.

Pol3.png

Many industry focuses for Poland grant powerful but temporary bonuses towards consumer goods and construction speed so time the funding of your armement well to maximize the bonuses you’ll get.

Pol4.png

Poland was a nation with many problems in 1936, and one such problem was that their rail networks were disparate and disconnected; largely due to the fact that Poland had only a few decades prior been part of three different nations. Among many problems this caused for Poland, it also disrupted their agricultural supply networks, which resulted in the Peasant’s Strike of 1937.

Pol5.png

Beginning as mere whispers among the peasantry, if Poland fails to join the supply networks and enact major agricultural reform, they will be faced with a nasty peasant’s strike, damaging their stability, industry, and populace. Though on a tight schedule, Poland may pacify the countryside to delay this uprising, but until reform is enacted, the peasants will remain restless.

Pol7.png

Failing to enact reform entirely will result in a massive populist uprising, and a civil war is the last thing Poland needs. If Poland is to survive the Reich and the USSR, she must be united and ready.

Pol6.png

Moving on to another issue Poland had in the 30s; we have the Free City of Danzig! Danzig/Gdansk was in a unique and complicated position in this period. The city was simultaneously free and owned by no-one, an official Polish protectorate, and an international city partially run by the League of Nations. So representing Danzig/Gdansk as an on-map tag in 36 felt not quite right, so instead the city is demilitarized and Poland is incapable of accessing any of their factories, resources, or manpower.

Pol8.png

When the Nazi party took power in the city, it strangled Polish trade, so Poland begins the game with the “Embargoed Economy” trade law, similar to Undisturbed Isolation in the US but not nearly as harsh. To remove the Embargoed Economy, Poland must either develop a new trade port in Gdynia, gain a new port through conquest, or clamp down on Danzig.

Pol9.png

Pol10.png

Attempting to seize control of Danzig will cause the city to begin a resistance, and Poland can fight that resistance through decisions and the usual resistance/compliance mechanics. With enough compliance, Poland will be able to ban the Nazi party and take permanent control of the city; ending the resistance, gaining access to all of Danzig’s resources, manpower, and industry, and finally being able to remove the embargoed economy.

Pol11.png

Failing to bring Danzig under control will result in the city rising up against you and appearing as a tag on the map. Failing to stamp out this uprising in time will cause the city to defect to the Reich.

Pol26.png

When either Gdynia or Danzig has become Poland’s major port, they gain access to the rest of their naval branch, granting dockyards, factories, and research bonuses.

Next up we have the old Prepare for the Next War branch, which has been expanded quite considerably since its original implementation. Poland now has access to Plan East and Plan West, military plans to fight the USSR and the Reich.

Pol12.png

Historically, Poland believed the USSR to be the greater threat and didn’t begin preparing Plan West until just two years before invasion. But, with the power of hindsight, the player can start either plan immediately after completing the Prepare for the Next War focus, and accumulate forts and construction bonuses along the border.

Pol13.png

However, until Plan West has been completed, Plan East cannot be begun and vice versa, but when complete, no further focuses from the branch may be taken.

Pol14.png

Finally, probably the part of the tree that has received the most love; the historical Polish political focus branch. Poland was not the united stable regime we had previously seen on release. Along with impending threats outside their borders, Poland was (like most authoritarian regimes) plagued with infighting and factionalism.

Pol15.png

The dictatorship was divided between the Castle lead by Ignacy Mościcki, the Sanation Right lead by Edward Rydz-Śmigły, and the Sanation Left led by Walery Sławek.

Pol16.png

Each branch of the Sanation has a series of focuses that can be completed for various bonuses and the player does not have to commit to one faction or the other right away. Rather, you can form your government with a multitude of policies from each of the three factions, but the longer you spend forming your government, the less time you have for other things like industry and plans East and West.

Pol27.png

Historical Poland will also have access to the April Constitution, the binding document of the Dictatorship. Though it begins weak, through collaboration with Sanations Left and Right, the Constitution will become a powerful bonus to Poland's politics. With all power consolidated in the President, you'll be able to change your laws and your cabinet with ease.

Pol17.png

Time isn’t your only opponent here though, each of the two factions will expect Mościcki to appease them by enacting their policies and giving them power. Every focus of the Left you complete will make the Right more irritated and vice versa. On top of that, both factions will passively gain irritation over time so spend too long without taking a side and you risk losing both to civil wars.

Pol18.png

Historically, Mościcki maintained control of the government until wartime, at which point it was agreed Śmigły would take control, but Poland failed to last long enough for this to take effect. However, if the player has appointed either Śmigły or Sławek as Chairman of Poland, the Sanation Right/Left can supercede the Castle and become the majority controller of the government. This enables some light alt-history within the historical branch, as well as unlocking new diplomatic options for Poland.

Pol25.png

Available to all three factions of the dictatorship is the Align With the West branch, which allows Poland to join the Allies as they were able to in their old tree.

Pol19.png

In the 30s, Lithuania was technically at war with Poland until the 1938 Polish ultimatum to Lithuania in which Poland demanded an end to the cold war over Vilnius. As well as being able to gain cooperation and eventually an alliance with Lithuania, Poland may also demand Lithuania’s annexation which can result in occupying Lithuania without the need for war, but take this focus with caution as it extends your frontline with the Axis.

Pol20.png

Lastly, the Romanian Bridgehead Strategy has now been moved to the diplomatic branch and allows Poland to bring Romania into the allies. Historically, Poland and Lithuania had an alliance prior to the war, and Poland can pursue this alliance closer, bringing Romanian guns to the Polish front.

Pol21.png

The Sanation Right exclusively has access to Polish Revanchism which has now been expanded into its own full branch. As well as being able to demand the annexation of Lithuania, the Right can pursue both a restored Commonwealth and fulfil the ambition of the Polish–Czechoslovak confederation.

Pol22.png

Lastly, the Sanation Left has access to an expanded Baltic Alliance path, allowing them to gain alliances with the Baltic states, Czechoslovakia, and Romania, and unlocking the newly expanded Between the Seas branch!

Pol23.png

(It's worth mentioning at this point that most focus icons are placeholder)

No matter which path Poland is pursuing, as long as Poland is not in a faction already, they will be able to realize the Intermarium ambition and create an alliance from sea-to-sea! All they need to do is be considered a major or be a faction leader already, and have a large army. At this point, Poland can be considered a real contender for a major alliance of their own.

Pol24.png

The old Between Seas focus was not really “between seas” so much as it was just a Baltic alliance, but now the first nation to be invited to the faction is Romania. After Romania has made their decision, the alliance can spread any direction; north into Scandinavia and the Baltics, and south into the Balkans. Though unlikely, an Italian alliance is not out of the question for Poland here, but some significant change in policy for either nation would be necessary to tempt the Italians away from the Axis.

That’s all for this one, next week we’ll be talking about Poland’s DLC-locked alternate history branches!

Last edited:
  • 180Like
  • 93Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Poland was a nation with many problems in 1936, and one such problem was that their rail networks were disparate and disconnected; largely due to the fact that Poland had only a few decades prior been part of three different nations. Among many problems this caused for Poland, it also disrupted their agricultural supply networks, which resulted in the Peasant’s Strike of 1937.

View attachment 703783
Oh my god you got it all backwards. Peasants produce food. If food prices fall, the peasants earn less. They are not paid wages. They earn money by selling food. You can check this in one minute on wikipedia:

By mid-1930s, Poland, a country with a large agricultural sector, was significantly affected by the Great Depression,[1] with peasants being one of the most affected groups.[1] Polish peasantry, especially in overpopulated areas of Lesser Poland, was desperately poor. Prices of food products fell down, which resulted in smaller profits for the peasants.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know how to even comment on this.... As a member of Historical Poland dev team I simply do not agree to use graphics made by me, without my permission. And please don't speak for the whole team as "we" because some of them don't agree with such treatment.
Other than a few NF icons and an idea icon, which I'll amend out of the post as you wish, the majority of art shown was made by me or in heavy collaboration with me.

Reactions:
I do not think that a Germany player should be able to justify day 1 in 1936 and expect an guaranteed steamroll in multiplayer without building up the offensive capabilities of the Wehrmacht first.
Considering that Germany starts with three tank divisions and poland none, I don't see how you would not get a guaranteed steamroll even if poland got a few more infantry and artillery.

Not that I enjoy cheesing the game like that, but a quick win is the expected result when only one side has tanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know how to even comment on this.... As a member of Historical Poland dev team I simply do not agree to use graphics made by me, without my permission. And please don't speak for the whole team as "we" because some of them don't agree with such treatment.
We do not intend on using the art assets provided, though we do appreciate the enthusiasm!

We have our own focus icons, idea icons, etc. They just have not been implemented as of yet :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
Well, I guess the most pressing question we all want to know is - will Poland finally have a proper-sized roster of historic generals and admirals at our disposal? :cool:

Reactions:
Main dev of Historical Poland Redux here: Can confirm: there is a lot of controversy here.

As I am a Pole, not an American working on a mod about Poland which relies on English-language sources which, for obvious reasons, are not as accurate as the Polish ones about the Second Polish Republic, I must protest because I see serious historical mistakes. These mistakes were already visible in Historical Poland but were not fixed, which in the absence of communication with the head dev was unacceptable to part of the dev team, including myself, and we left active work on the mod, creating Historical Poland Redux. The creator of the PDX rework of Poland so @Meka66 as you can see was based on Historical Poland, also repeating his mistakes. Reaserch was done largely wrong.

Starting with the basics:
- "Sanation Left" apparently comes from Wikipedia, which the content creator deigned to present. The wikipedia footnotes are missing and as a result Historical Poland creator @Bane5 has misinterpreted this political camp, which Meca has reproduced... Use sources, not sentences without confirmation from wikipedia... Good reaserch is half of success.
There's no Poles in PDX dev team
?

In Polish sources which I know, the decomposition of the Sanation camp after the death of Marshal Piłsudski is presented as not formal Sanation camps/groups: Zamek - Mościcki (Castle), GISZ - Śmigły-Rydz (General Inspector of Armed Forces) and Pułkownicy - Sławek (Colonels).

The "Castle" Group consisted of left-wing sanationists, centrists and Piłsudski's followers with more moderate democratic and liberal views, who gathered around President Moscicki after the Marshal's death. At the beginning of the game in 1936, it was Castle who was in power, and Marian Zyndram-Kościałkowski, the President's man, was Prime Minister. "The Sanation Left" group gathered mainly around Castle, and were not people who supported the early rule of Colonels, who dealt with the opposition in a fairly decisive manner... and pursued a conservative economic policy.

The "GISZ" group was the political background of General Inspector of the Armed Forces Edward Śmigły-Rydz. Faced with the lack of dynamism in the organisation of the Sanacja camp by Walery Sławek after the Marshal's death, Piłsudski's former "Colonels", such as Bogusław Miedziński, Adam Koc and Wojciech Stpiczyński, started to create a political background for the new leader. This group included the broadly defined "Legionnaire's/Sanation Right", i.e. militarists, nationalists-pilsudskites, totalists as well as nationalist-radicals and fascists. A strong group of influence were the generals in political positions and those derived from the 1st Brigade of the Legions. The political ideals of the movement assumed the promotion of General Edward Śmigły-Rydz as the most worthy successor to Marshal Piłsudski and the creation of a new party to the Sanation camp - the Camp of National Unity. The "GISZ" group strove to consolidate the nation around the idea of defending the state, and to strengthen the power of the head of state, which should be headed by a chief - dictator; Marshal Śmigły-Rydz

The "Colonels" Group was a group of old political cadres developed during the lifetime of Marshal Pilsudski, often of legionnary past, being in power during his lifetime and shortly after his death. They were the Marshal's most faithful men. Ideologically, they were centrist authoritarians, elitists, and opponents of political parties, gathered around the former four-time prime minister and Marshal's right hand man, Walery Slawek. They were the creators and ideologists of the "April" Constitution, the activists of "Prometheism", military men holding parliamentary and senatorial seats, conservatives - aristocrats led by the land magnate Janusz Radziwiłł or popular writer Stanislaw "Cat" Mackiewicz.
The Colonels lost power at the end of 1935 and were in disarray, often dispersing to the GISZ, the Castle or to the opposition, as well as being on the margins of deciding about the state.

Further absurd mistakes are:
- The Customs War was won by Poland as a result of the construction of the port in Gdynia as well as the construction of the "coal" railroad, going from Upper Silesia to the port of Gdynia, mainly transporting coal, which went for export. Gdynia was the main Polish port. The port in Danzig was problematic, especially since the Free City of Danzig authorities were fighting Polish influence in the city. Poland also benefited from German transit to East Prussia, even approx. 15 % of income to the budget. Years 1934-1939 to about January 1939 was a period of relaxation in relations with Germany, no custom war, no embargoed economy.
- The concept of "Between the seas" is pure absurdity. Pointless focusses inviting "everyone" into factions... Józef Beck's concept of Intermarium/Third Europe which he was realizing in 37-38 was creating a zone of neutral states, independent from the superpowers in terms of decision making processes. The triangle Poland-Hungary-Romania was to be the foundation of the Intermarium/Third Europe. This was an anti-Czech concept, going for its partition, but carrying it out at Hitler's hands. The plan was to incorporate Slovakia to Hungary or, alternatively, to pursue the variant of building a limited Slovak state under the protectorate of Poland and Hungary. Transcarpathian Ruthenia was to be incorporated into Hungary, which was successful, and a piece of it was to be incorporated into Romania, which King Charles II rejected. Additionally, Poland was to guarantee the Hungarian-Romanian border. Further, the plan was to attract with looser ties the Baltic countries like Latvia and Estonia, solve the Lithuanian problem and to some extent attract Yugoslavia.
- SL not PSL. This civil war waged by the Polish People's Party is some absurdity. It is hard to even comment on it...
- The Kashubian cores is something even more absurd than the peasant civil war. Maybe there are should be more cores for Silesia, Mazovia, Kujawy, Wielkopolska, Polesia lol
- Where are the national spirits concerning the great crisis in Poland, about the decomposition of the Sanation, about the neglected army, about the national minorities! Most of these things are not here because they were not in Historical Poland ?
- It should be Edward Śmigły-Rydz not Edward Rydz-Śmigły
- OZN not OZON
- It is very difficult to find out what the Polish general's uniforms looked like during interwar, in the 30s...
- Józef Haller opponent of the regime, forced to leave the army, a man already outside the military is... general of sanacja regime. Let's hope you at least fix Polish generals from vanilla. Sikorski - an enemy of the sanation regime being a field marshal in 1936 lol. Kopański who was a colonel on the staff of the Commander in Chief is.... Field Marshal. Bortnowski who was a division gneral is... Field Marshal.
Reaserch!

I'm not going to discuss the rest anyway it's too long post. I wrote a suggestion on the forum about reworking Poland some time ago. Apparently the PDX don't read the community suggestions.

I hope that at least some of the issues raised here will be fixed.

Post in thread 'HoI IV Poland rework sugestions' https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/hoi-iv-poland-rework-sugestions.1453769/post-2727062

• 8Like
Reactions:
Starting with the basics:
- "Sanation Left" apparently comes from Wikipedia, which the content creator deigned to present. The wikipedia footnotes are missing and as a result Historical Poland creator @Bane5 has misinterpreted this political camp, which Meca has reproduced... Use sources, not sentences without confirmation from wikipedia... Good reaserch is half of success.
There's no Poles in PDX dev team
?
Wrong.

LINK: Political thought of the Piłsudski camp in Poland… (1926–1939)

"Lewica sanacyjna"

Pages: 135, 136, 140 With further citations listed in the footnotes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
- It should be Edward Śmigły-Rydz not Edward Rydz-Śmigły
- Józef Haller opponent of the regime, forced to leave the army, a man already outside the military is... general of sanacja regime. Let's hope you at least fix Polish generals from vanilla. Sikorski - an enemy of the sanation regime being a field marshal in 1936 lol. Kopański who was a colonel on the staff of the Commander in Chief is.... Field Marshal. Bortnowski who was a division gneral is... Field Marshal.
1. Should is a bit far fetched considering you see both iterations used. I saw, and in fact i'm also a Pole, more often "Rydz-Śmigły" then the other way around. Don't even take my word for it, just google it. There is literally an article about him on the IPN page were this wording is used.

2. If you bothered to actually read the dev responses you'd see that Meka said there are more Generals to come. I also hope they fix the rank of the current ones and make the historical OOB possible yet we just have to wait and see. As for Haller, i have himself propesed him in my extensive comment in the suggestion forum, more as a gimmick nontheless, yet still, as he himself has offered his service after WW2 broke out he could well be used as a General. Or do you also whine how the decision to turn Spanish Generals to the nationalists encompasses people who in real-life would never switch sides, much less then Haller would?

3. Yes, the colouring of the uniforms is wrong and should be corrected, however what's more annoying than these historical simplifications or slight deviations is this continous snarky undertone by some people """yOu cOuLd aT lEaSt dO XY""" """"aPpEaReNtLy dEvS tOo sTuPiD tO rEaD AnYwAy"""". Geez..., PDX annoys me oftentimes as well, and i wish that every tree was done by Bratyn (lol) but people who constantly seem to be on the brink of mental breakdown because of a game annoy me at least as much, especially since some objections you raise as 100% wrong are appearently not.

• 3Like
Reactions:
completely agree the paradox team seems to have 0 clue what balance means.The Axis is underpowered as it is. Now even Poland can dab on Germany lol.
It seems the sales department is in charge for now. They want to make the DLC countries "cool" so give them bonuses that are absurd compared with other nations. The previous DLC really started this trend, but it seems they have decided to keep on that heading.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems the sales department is in charge for now. They want to make the DLC countries "cool" so give them bonuses that are absurd compared with other nations. The previous DLC really started this trend, but it seems they have decided to keep on that heading.
I play comp historical hoi4 games every single day. Right now the only way the axis wins is if you are outclassing the allies in skill. If equally skilled players play the axis and allies there is no way the allies lose. The Soviet Union and USA are just too strong and although i am not complaining, as a Germany main myself i enjoy the challenge, unless you handicap the US and Russia through a ruleset even players of lower skill will win as the allies. If we reach a point where even Poland can pose a challenge to Germany or even just slow it down for a while i am confident the only way to play a real game will be with mods.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You guys realize lesser consumer goods in the game context means that there are more factories working on military production and construction rather than necessarily a way of saying some countries are richer than others, and an authoritarian state could easily do that. Also, Germany still gets more of their -5% than Poland with their -15% as it is a matter of math, Germany has almost 60 factories more than Poland ( not even counting Austria and Czechoslovakia ) if you know what you are you doing, hence why the numbers change so much, Jesus Christ, do you even know what you are complaining about at this point?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Wrong.

LINK: Political thought of the Piłsudski camp in Poland… (1926–1939)

"Lewica sanacyjna"

Pages: 135, 136, 140 With further citations listed in the footnotes.
Yes the term "Lewica Sanacyjna" existed and was in use but it meant completely something else even the book you just provided applies it in a completely different way than it is in this Dev Diary or in Historical Poland mod. In fact the source you just provided multiple times says that Sławek was in a different group. To pull a quote from it (page 134):
W latach 1937–1939 dokonała się dekompozycja układu wewnątrzobozowego, której przejawem było ukształtowanie się środowisk politycznych – prezydenta Ignacego Mościckiego (tzw. zamkowe), generalnego inspektora sił zbrojnych Edwarda Śmigłego-Rydza, marszałka Sejmu IV kadencji Walerego Sławka (tradycjonalistyczne).
In the years 1937–1939, the internal situation in the camp was decomposing, which manifested itself in the creation of political circles - President Ignacy Mościcki (the so-called castle), Edward Śmigły-Rydz, the general inspector of the armed forces, and Walery Sławek, the Sejm Marshal of the 4th term of office (traditionalist).

Traditionalist in this means that it was for the continuation of the thought of Józef Piłsudski, the rule of "Colonels" and of course a return to Walery Sławek heading the Sanation camp (He lead BBWR the parliamentary group of Sanation until he dissolved in 30th October). But looking past the fact that the source supports Bartek it is also just a short article and not a serious historical analysis of Polish politics and it doesn't even claim to be.

Last edited:
Reactions:
In the case of Kashubia, as in the case of my previous post, I don't want to decide on the quality of the idea, because we haven't seen most of the focus trees after all!

Could their tag make sense? As a Pole, it also seemed a bit strange to me. On the other hand, there were plans, incl. Heinrich and Himmler, aimed at Germanizing the Kashubians (as I understand it mechanically it would mean gaining the core on their territory).

Historically, this hasn't worked for reasons which I believe it is impossible to post on the forum, which resulted in anti-German groups (i.e. resistance), e.g. organizations such as Gryf Kaszubski.

Additionally, based on scientific works, Separatism, regionalism, and unification in the Second Republic of Poland (1918–1939). Problems of the state and society's integration after the regaining of independence (counting abstract, text only in Polish), it can be stated that in II RP there were some separatist tendencies in Pomerania related to Kashubia. It should be noted here that these were striving for autonomy rather than independence, and to a large extent resulted from dissatisfaction with the situation of the II RP after 1926 and a decline in the standard of economic life.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You guys realize lesser consumer goods in the game context means that there are more factories working on military production and construction rather than necessarily a way of saying some countries are richer than others, and an authoritarian state could easily do that. Also, Germany still gets more of their -5% than Poland with their -15% as it is a matter of math, Germany has almost 60 factories more than Poland ( not even counting Austria and Czechoslovakia ) if you know what you are you doing, hence why the numbers change so much, Jesus Christ, do you even know what you are complaining about at this point?
I am quite aware of what i am talking about. I have played over 1k hours of Germany in mp and sp. Of course Poland will have a weaker industry then Germany,but that's not the issue. The real problem is how much time it takes Germany to kill Poland. If Poland becomes stronger the time it takes to occupy it will increase significantly which is not good at all. Germany has to kill both Poland and France as soon as possible in order to stabilize it's trade and also to get more factories for tank production. The longer it takes the weaker Germany will be against Russia. I am complaining beacuse in a multiplayer comp historical sense this will make the axis even weaker then it already is.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1. Should is a bit far fetched considering you see both iterations used. I saw, and in fact i'm also a Pole, more often "Rydz-Śmigły" then the other way around. Don't even take my word for it, just google it. There is literally an article about him on the IPN page were this wording is used.

2. If you bothered to actually read the dev responses you'd see that Meka said there are more Generals to come. I also hope they fix the rank of the current ones and make the historical OOB possible yet we just have to wait and see. As for Haller, i have himself propesed him in my extensive comment in the suggestion forum, more as a gimmick nontheless, yet still, as he himself has offered his service after WW2 broke out he could well be used as a General. Or do you also whine how the decision to turn Spanish Generals to the nationalists encompasses people who in real-life would never switch sides, much less then Haller would?

3. Yes, the colouring of the uniforms is wrong and should be corrected, however what's more annoying than these historical simplifications or slight deviations is this continous snarky undertone by some people """yOu cOuLd aT lEaSt dO XY""" """"aPpEaReNtLy dEvS tOo sTuPiD tO rEaD AnYwAy"""". Geez..., PDX annoys me oftentimes as well, and i wish that every tree was done by Bratyn (lol) but people who constantly seem to be on the brink of mental breakdown because of a game annoy me at least as much, especially since some objections you raise as 100% wrong are appearently not.
Edward Śmigły-Rydz intentionally changed the order of his names and it was part of his play to gain power. By putting "Śmigły" which was his nom de guerre from the days Poland was still partitioned in the first place he was trying to emphasise his role in the creation of the Polish state. It was one of the steps he took to show himself as a contender for ultimate power and should be represented.

As to Haller and other Generals that were shunned by the regime yes they should have the ability to return but not under Sanation it is important because it was one of the key elements of the regime that the army was purged out of undesirable officers and generals. Furthermore it was also extremely important later on because when Edward Śmigły-Rydz got to power he conducted a second change in leadership of the army. This second soft purge meant that essentially all of the best Generals were not in leading positions and those that were put in charge of various armies proved to be extremely incompetent greatly hastening the defeat of Poland in 1939. So Haller absolutely shouldn't start as a General, and in fact even if there was indeed some kind of re-institution of the dismissed Generals in the democratic paths Haller was getting rather old and was out of military service for so long he would probably be just passed over or given some less important position if any at all.

As to the snarky tone it would be nice to also not assume that someone trying to correct the mistakes made in this dev diary can not have a good idea what he is talking about. As you can see from the Śmigły-Rydz/Rydz-Śmigł case you did not have the full information about how this is important and decided to dismiss it instead of considering that it was very much true and relevant.

• 5Like
Reactions:
In the case of Kashubia, as in the case of my previous post, I don't want to decide on the quality of the idea, because we haven't seen most of the focus trees after all!

Could their tag make sense? As a Pole, it also seemed a bit strange to me. On the other hand, there were plans, incl. Heinrich and Himmler, aimed at Germanizing the Kashubians (as I understand it mechanically it would mean gaining the core on their territory).

Historically, this hasn't worked for reasons which I believe it is impossible to post on the forum, which resulted in anti-German groups (i.e. resistance), e.g. organizations such as Gryf Kaszubski.

Additionally, based on scientific works, Separatism, regionalism, and unification in the Second Republic of Poland (1918–1939). Problems of the state and society's integration after the regaining of independence (counting abstract, text only in Polish), it can be stated that in II RP there were some separatist tendencies in Pomerania related to Kashubia. It should be noted here that these were striving for autonomy rather than independence, and to a large extent resulted from dissatisfaction with the situation of the II RP after 1926 and a decline in the standard of economic life.
I also said this is a bit strange considering my Kaszub family was always loyal towards Poland, but i believe there is not much else behind it then simply giving the player the option of more balkanization like we see in France with Occitania for example. Now, i am not that well versed in the history of Occitan Nationalism during WW2 however i don't believe it was any more of an issue to France as it was to Poland. So, whether we like it or not, it's there.

Yes the term "Lewica Sanacyjna" existed and was in use but it meant completely something else even the book you just provided applies it in a completely different way than it is in this Dev Diary or in Historical Poland mod. In fact the source you just provided multiple times says that Sławek was in a different group. To pull a quote from it (page 134):

In the years 1937–1939, the internal situation in the camp was decomposing, which manifested itself in the creation of political circles - President Ignacy Mościcki (the so-called castle), Edward Śmigły-Rydz, the general inspector of the armed forces, and Walery Sławek, the Sejm Marshal of the 4th term of office (traditionalist).

Traditionalist in this means that it was for the continuation of the though of Józef Piłsudski, the rule of "Colonels" and of course a return to Walery Sławek heading the Sanation camp (He lead BBWR the parliamentary group of Sanation until he dissolved in 30th October). But looking past the fact that the source supports Bartek it is also just a short article and not a serious historical analysis of Polish politics and it doesn't even claim to be.
I should clarify that I wasn't endorsing Sanation Left as portrayed by the dev diary. Just objecting to the notion that Sanation Left is a made up English translation term.

The assumption made by the mod was that many of the various opposition groups staunchly opposed to the current trajectory of the country would have to band together if they were to have any real chance of making any political impact. I.e. Traditionalists, radical leftists in the Sanacja camp, and even some dialogue with figures outside.

The timeline of certain figures adjusting political allegiances and alliances is slightly out of order, but I did not deem it necessary to indulge players in walls and walls of text about political intrigue to try and figure out what was going on. Poland gets invaded in 1939 and there's other areas of the country to manage in such a short timeframe.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I should clarify that I wasn't endorsing Sanation Left as portrayed by the dev diary. Just the notion that Sanation Left is a made up English translation term.

The assumption made by the mod was that many of the various opposition groups staunchly opposed to the current trajectory of the country would have to band together if they were to have any real chance of making any political impact.
Then you must also realise that "Lewica Sanacyjna" was just one small group among the many groups in Sanation and that even in the source you provided it is not described as remotely democratic, in fact it is given as part of the authoritarian camp.

Sanation going a more democratic route is obviously possible but if so it would be something else entirely. The names being wrong was just tip of the iceberg it always was about how the paths are fundamentally wrong and using complete misconceptions which are apparently derived from a unsourced part of a wikipedia article which was clearly of a poor quality.

• 1Like
Reactions: