• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is only a limited number of envoys. The AI hasn't enough (even with the new ones coming wth Nemesis) to spy against any empire. They will most likely choose the biggest threats for them. Depending on your playstyle, that can of course be you. But even then the number of their successfull operations will be fairly low if you play defensive. After all they need still envoys for other diplomacy like harm/improve relations and the GC. Only a spy focused empire (most likely with psionic ascension), a player, or a syndicate will have the edge against you. And those empires definitely deserve to have success because they build around that mechanic.
Espionage is a kind of warfare after all. Of course a more secretive one with a manipulation focus.
But you don’t have one neighbor you have many, and in all games I had seen AI hasa love to go against the player, especially in the late game, and you don’t know how the usual AI cheating will go vs you, the rules for you doesn’t necessary applies to the AI.

Yeah, that alone would be enough to prevent me from ever buying Nemesis. I want espionage to be developed, to allow empires more agency in resisting espionage, and for operations to be meaningful...but the ability to randomly destroy my citadels would be awful.
I was into the idea, “this update seems cool but this espionage thing looks a bad idea (for me). Let’s skip it or at least wait to see”.

But I was told it will be enforced for everyone in the next big patch that usually comes with the DLCs anyway (someone correct me if i am wrong).

But I was told it will be enforced for everyone in the next big patch that usually comes with the DLCs anyway (someone correct me if i am wrong).

As far as we can tell, espionage in the free patch is restricted to gathering intel, which is tied to the rework of first contact and map visibility. More advanced operations are from the DLC.

• 4Like
Reactions: