Having a gay wife is probably the best thing ever?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vampiresoap

Lt. General
34 Badges
May 4, 2011
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I've been such a dummy. I just had this epiphany that gay characters can't even be seduced by opposite sex characters. So, basically the trait is an infinite cuckold blockage.

Btw, does the gay trait still give fertility penalties?

• 7Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
As far as I'm aware, there are no fertility penalties to being homosexual in CK3. It's not even a separate "trait" like it is in CK2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As far as I'm aware, there are no fertility penalties to being homosexual in CK3. It's not even a separate "trait" like it is in CK2.

So yeah, the best thing ever.

Sometimes I try to imagine what people not playing CK3 would think of some titles on this forum

Haha isn't there a video compilation of s**** that CK players say? Look it up, it's pretty funny :)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
only real restriction is you cant make them lover/soulmate for the massive opinion boost.

Does the relationship with your wife really matter that much? Does it increase fertility somehow? I normally just get it barely positive just so my wife won't join in plots to murder me, which is a fairly common occurrence.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think it affects fertility %, but it does affect the number of times the game "rolls" for children. This is actually a positive in itself if you're still in partition, since it limits the number of sons you have.

Reactions:
TL;DR: Marry for attributes, seduce for heirs.

Having a wife over 45 years old with good stats is the best thing ever. Don't care if she fools around or not, she isn't getting pregnant, and I don't have to worry about unintended heirs that I don't want.

Reactions:
Fertility is a bit crazy right now anyway. I've played quite a few generations as lesbian women that don't seduce their husbands and go totally infertile at 45. I can still end up with 7-8 kids or sometimes even more. Only problem is life expectancy is still also super high, so they're all middle-aged by the time I finally die.

Reactions:
TL;DR: Marry for attributes, seduce for heirs.

Having a wife over 45 years old with good stats is the best thing ever. Don't care if she fools around or not, she isn't getting pregnant, and I don't have to worry about unintended heirs that I don't want.
Tell me about it.

1617912457219.png

I had an old wife to start, seduced a ton, kept all my lovers at court for as long as I could, let the first wife die and stay unmarried, then once I had enough and suddenly gained a couple levels of piety, married Theochariste for the stats and her age now, broke up with everyone else and married them off, and enjoyed fatherhood from there.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Fertility is a bit crazy right now anyway. I've played quite a few generations as lesbian women that don't seduce their husbands and go totally infertile at 45. I can still end up with 7-8 kids or sometimes even more. Only problem is life expectancy is still also super high, so they're all middle-aged by the time I finally die.

I see that as a benefit. When my first ruler died with 70 my Genius Midas touched heir was already 45 and had two completed Stewardship trees and 700 gold plus lots of prestige.

Reactions:
Well, that seems fair enough. First, and most obviously, homosexuality is not a contraceptive, but an orientation. Second, regardless of sexual orientation your holdings need heirs, quite possibly your character wishes to have children too* (such a desire being a separate issue from sexual orientation), societal expectations in general and your peers expect you to provide them, and finally unless you jail your husband, these things are likely to happen. And if you do jail him, well, I guess kinkier things have happened, but I've not actually tested this in CK... there ought to be events to govern it. :D

CK's fertility is if anything low compared to the historical human norm - this is probably done to compensate for the hard limit on number of children per character (depending on rank), the very low rate of deaths of mother and/or child in childbirth, and the extremely low childhood mortality. Rather than saddle us with a large number of women and children who'll die early while leaving excess men, the game has pared the numbers down to something more manageable but assured that most people survive to adulthood and beyond.

* if she didn't, she'd learn how to practice restraint as a lifestyle - or not marry in the first place. :p

• 2Like
Reactions:
Tell me about it.

View attachment 702059

I had an old wife to start, seduced a ton, kept all my lovers at court for as long as I could, let the first wife die and stay unmarried, then once I had enough and suddenly gained a couple levels of piety, married Theochariste for the stats and her age now, broke up with everyone else and married them off, and enjoyed fatherhood from there.
That's hilarious, I'm definitely trying that

Life expectancy is way too high indeed but it only gets ridiculous when you have the physical traits. I really think those should be nerfed hard, perhaps replacing the health boost with disease resistance only.

The game is so much more fun when you don't breed these into your line, sadly it does mean no strong blood decision.

Reactions:
Sometimes I try to imagine what people not playing CK3 would think of some titles on this forum

That's from Stellaris, but it will give you pretty good idea about how PDX games look to bystanders. The fact that PDX gamers seem to delight in shocking said bystanders is not helping :D

• 2Haha
Reactions:
That's from Stellaris, but it will give you pretty good idea about how PDX games look to bystanders. The fact that PDX gamers seem to delight in shocking said bystanders is not helping :D

I... don't get it at all. Paradox games look like cats and laser beams? Huh? :)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Yeah, I always end up with the maximum number of children. I had to edit my defines and lower it per rank and the player bonus because it was annoying me.
Too many perks and traits give you extra fertility too. I find it hilarious that the beauty traits give fertility. Ugly people have a ton of kids :p
On CK2 i remember suffering quite a few times to get kids going. Now on CK3 I'm suffering not to have kids.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I... don't get it at all. Paradox games look like cats and laser beams? Huh? :)
No, it's a video of a cat meme about blowing up a Fallen Empire's capital. You see, a Fallen Empire is an ancient advanced empire that has faded into obscurity after millenniums of decadence, and normally you can't really invade their capital because they have like 99 million troop powers there. So the most logical thing to do is just blowing up their planet from orbit like a good imperium officer.

No, it's a video of a cat meme about blowing up a Fallen Empire's capital. You see, a Fallen Empire is an ancient advanced empire that has faded into obscurity after millenniums of decadence, and normally you can't really invade their capital because they have like 99 million troop powers there. So the most logical thing to do is just blowing up their planet from orbit like a good imperium officer.
I'm well aware of all this, yet thank you nonetheless! :)

Blocked seduction means you can't do the scheme to get extra intercourses to produce extra offsprings.