• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

Colonel
45 Badges
Mar 23, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
I have a ward, he just developed a personality trait, I can't change it. Should I be submitting this a bug report?

Ok, 2nd point: I swear there used to be the usual paper clip button to attach a screen shot or whatever other file, did that change? I was going to include a screen shot. Basically, 9 year old ward just gained the callous trait, and the only button available is to let him keep it. I don't have the other 2 options to swap it for another trait at the expense of stress, and it is his only trait currently. Is this because my own character is callous? If that's the case, that's wrong, it may cost more stress to make my ward not like me, but it should be an option.

I have a ward, he just developed a personality trait, I can't change it. Should I be submitting this a bug report?

Ok, 2nd point: I swear there used to be the usual paper clip button to attach a screen shot or whatever other file, did that change? I was going to include a screen shot. Basically, 9 year old ward just gained the callous trait, and the only button available is to let him keep it. I don't have the other 2 options to swap it for another trait at the expense of stress, and it is his only trait currently. Is this because my own character is callous? If that's the case, that's wrong, it may cost more stress to make my ward not like me, but it should be an option.
I think Callous and Sadistic characters only get the Callous choice for that particular event. I agree it's inconsistent with most other events of that type, but I believe it is intentional rather than a bug.

• 1Like
Reactions:
it's not a bug (sometimes you only get one button) and i see 'attach files' under the text box here on PC

• 1Like
Reactions:
The event that gives a character callous can usually also give compassionate or arrogant if I remember correctly. Any personality traits your ward already has are removed from future personality events, as are the corresponding opposite traits. For example if your ward is already brave and lazy and you get the trait where you would normally be able to choose between craven, lazy and arbitrary, then you can only choose arbitrary because your ward is already lazy and craven is the opposite of brave so you can't choose either of the two. However, if I'm not mistaken, the event that gives you callous may also give you compassionate or arrogant. If you didn't have arrogant as a choice it must mean that your ward was already arrogant or humble, but since callous is itself the opposite of compassionate I don't see a situtation where you could have obtained a trait that locks you out of compassionate which wouldn't also lock you out of callous. So it sounds like a bug to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think Callous and Sadistic characters only get the Callous choice for that particular event. I agree it's inconsistent with most other events of that type, but I believe it is intentional rather than a bug.
I've had only Callous appear in that event when my own ruler (the guardian) was neither. I think it's a bug.

• 1Like
Reactions:
All of the events surrounding the development of personality traits in children are worthy of a bug report atm, due to how poorly designed they are.
Yes, this. I have my heir as my ward, and both events so far have been the ones related to him being bullied. It's weird enough that his bully is a girl 2 years younger than him, but there is so little I can do to influence any of it. I can't teach him to fight? Or have him taught to fight? Or use the injustice of his bully's behavior as an example of how not to behave? Nope, I now have an arbitrary, lazy heir to the realm. My goodness...if he gets craven too I'm going to be pissed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
(...)but there is so little I can do to influence any of it. I can't teach him to fight? Or have him taught to fight? Or use the injustice of his bully's behavior as an example of how not to behave?
Wonderful wishes, that the author also agrees with; such interactions would transform the game (software) into a simulation, instead of the current mechanism of multiple-choice events, which quickly devolves into nuisance rather than joy of playing a character, pushing it into the spectrum of more an arcade game.

Can only hope for such wishes to be implemented at this point.

Nope, I now have an arbitrary, lazy heir to the realm.
One is ok; gave this example before, but: had 10 children (author's advice for others: ban the polygamy if playing a realm with it when it comes to reforming the religion), and educated 2 of them (max capacity); rest 8 were given to others as wards. It ended up having 2 children with arbitrary, 8 with craven.

author's advice for others: ban the polygamy if playing a realm with it when it comes to reforming the religion
Just because you have polygamy doesn't mean you have to fill up your spouse slots with fertile people. :) Polygamy is awesome for generating tons of dynasty members to land everywhere or marry into other courts if you desire, and you can always marry infertile people if you want to restrict the number of children you have.

Reactions:
Here is a screenshot of what I assume is a bug in action -

314DA79F665C670C0C9257B7210256ADB9D6A87F

I usually see it with this event with Callous (and my current ruler is callous because this is exactly what happened with him, and his father wasn't callous), but this time it was Arrogant as the only option. I've only noticed this happening with this particular event.

And you may think this is a modded game but it's just the portrait borders and doesn't change the checksum, not to mention I've seen this before using it too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just because you have polygamy doesn't mean you have to fill up your spouse slots with fertile people. :) Polygamy is awesome for generating tons of dynasty members to land everywhere or marry into other courts if you desire, and you can always marry infertile people if you want to restrict the number of children you have.
Of course, polygamy is very good to have many dynasty members in a fast way. Of course, there are various methods to deal with them, and to benefit from them. Of course, one does not have to fill up with fertile people if the numbers become astronomical. All above is valid; all above is agreed.

The problem is: The player is not the only character with a family.

Unfortunately, even if one manages with the familial matters carefully, the code will go on berserk with the spouses, generating incredible amounts of dynasty members, not spreading but wasting nearly all to marriages to the far edge of the world.

On top of this, there is the notorious bug of concubinage, that does not prevent the code to take close-kin as concubines, producing utterly sorrowful, horrendous results within one generation, and this is happening even when one reforms the faith by outlawing the close-kin relationships. The author's advice came from such observations:)

I especially enjoy it when I’ve taken on stress once or twice already to avoid giving my heir a trait like callous, and then the game just gives it to me anyway. It’s pretty frustrating. I guess I understand it to a certain degree, sometimes our kids just can’t be shaken from their bad habits or something, but a pain nonetheless.

I usually see it with this event with Callous (and my current ruler is callous because this is exactly what happened with him, and his father wasn't callous), but this time it was Arrogant as the only option. I've only noticed this happening with this particular event.

And you may think this is a modded game but it's just the portrait borders and doesn't change the checksum, not to mention I've seen this before using it too.
What traits did the child have before the event? Options that offer a trait that is blocked due to already present traits aren't shown - this may be traits that the child already possesses, or traits that are mutually exclusive to traits the child already possesses.

Reactions:

This is not a bug. Your ward was either compassionate, callous, or sadistic. Those three traits are mutually exclusive so you can only have one. That particular event normally gives the choice between compassionate, arrogant, or callous. You only had one option because your ward already was sadistic/callous/compassionate.

I especially enjoy it when I’ve taken on stress once or twice already to avoid giving my heir a trait like callous, and then the game just gives it to me anyway. It’s pretty frustrating. I guess I understand it to a certain degree, sometimes our kids just can’t be shaken from their bad habits or something, but a pain nonetheless.
I mean let's be honest, the way it's modeled in CK3 is so far into "nature over nurture" territory that you wonder if Paradox aren't making some statement with that. You really do have so little agency over traits that I'm not even sure what being a "guardian" for a child even means. How can I be so influential on one hand that I can swing them from Callous to Compassionate in one moment, and on the other hand the whole process is resolved in 3 events with 3 arbitrary choices for each one?

I know there are weightings for the events based on the guardian's own traits but still... it just feels bad. And events definitely shouldn't repeat if you're limiting them to only 3 choices.

It can be a plus. Never had wife problems in the game. Unless you're marrying someone with a different religion, culture, opposing traits and your character has no diplomacy the wife is cool the overwhelming majority of time. Only once did I get that she was boning our son, but I didn't care since she was past breeding age so no ridiculous incestuous bastards would show up.
Chalk that up to another edition of: "There's not a lot of danger to the player in the game"

I mean let's be honest, the way it's modeled in CK3 is so far into "nature over nurture" territory that you wonder if Paradox aren't making some statement with that. You really do have so little agency over traits that I'm not even sure what being a "guardian" for a child even means. How can I be so influential on one hand that I can swing them from Callous to Compassionate in one moment, and on the other hand the whole process is resolved in 3 events with 3 arbitrary choices for each one?

I know there are weightings for the events based on the guardian's own traits but still... it just feels bad. And events definitely shouldn't repeat if you're limiting them to only 3 choices.
Before a recent update you still had the option to pick traits that your ward already had or traits that are mutually exclusive with one that they already had. Picking these options would just cancel the event and the ward would not actually acquire a new personality trait, allowing them to draw a new random event at a future date. While this clearly was not working as intended (hence why Paradox changed it) I honestly prefered it that way. It gave you slightly more choice. If your son was already diligent you could safely pick the lazy option in the bully event without it actually giving him the lazy trait. In the current version of the game you are simply not given the option to pick traits you already have.

confirmed bug with this event specifically

everyone in this thread who confidently proclaimed it not a bug has to do the dummy doodoo idiot dance if they ever want forgiveness

• 1Haha
Reactions:
confirmed bug with this event specifically
Thank you for bringing this to attention.

Thankfully this time averted the bullet by not claiming anything about the issue, whether if it was a bug or not, had no idea.
everyone in this thread who confidently proclaimed it not a bug has to do the dummy doodoo idiot dance if they ever want forgiveness
But that is not the most friendly attitude, there is no need for that. Misunderstood the intent of joking; apologies for now unnecessarily stern notice, and retracting the comment after the counter-reply.

Last edited: